The Critical Race Theory/so-called Cancel Culture Thread

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: The Critical Race Theory/so-called Cancel Culture Thread

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:17 pm Invoking "the average voter" like the "silent majority" is all fine and good.
"The average voter" is doing the same work as glennfs's "the American people." viewtopic.php?p=1803#p1803

The average voter to them is as ignorant and conservative (and white) as they are.

Same goes for "the American people." We do not count as "people," to them, and we don't count as Americans to them, either.
It's not a "class". It's not a "subject area". It is actually an outgrowth of Critical Legal Studies, and is essentially a theory about the legal and criminal justice system and the role of race in it.
It's also not a "course." This cannot be emphasized enough.

We keep saying this, but since no one will take a moment to read actual CRT and see for themselves what it actually is, this misinformation will continue to proliferate.
Last edited by carmenjonze on Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:25 pm I know it’s not taught. In Virginia they screwed the pooch in how it was handled. Common parlance.
You never said what the "documents" were supposed to prove.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:23 am Before McAuliffe made the CRT claim the claim should have been vetted.
What CRT claim are you referring to?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

More from the Judd Legum piece, Right-wing operatives deploy massive network of fake local news sites to weaponize CRT:
Prior is not listed as the author of the story in West Nova News. (The byline is listed as "Staff Reports.") Nor is he quoted in the article itself. Lansing, however, links Prior to the article he claims "started it all."

The piece that Lansing references, published in September 2020, is one of the first to claim that Critical Race Theory is infiltrating Virginia schools. It claims that "Loudoun County Public Schools has spent $422,500 in taxpayer funds 'training' staff on critical race theory." This is false. The money was allocated to create an equity plan and provide related services to help implement the plan. The initiative was created in response to a Loudoun County School that played an "Underground Railroad" game in which "an African-American child in the class was designated as a slave for the activity."
I'll eat my hat the minute people like JoeMemphis and Blue Greens wring their hands about what Black parents think of this method of "teaching about race" to public school children. :problem:
Neither the contract for the plan nor the plan itself mentions Critical Race Theory. It does talk about strategies to "ensure student growth and success for every child." This includes the "[r]ecruitment and retention of a high performing, diverse workforce." The West Nova News story describes this as "hiring fewer white teachers."

A few weeks later, in October 2020, an article written by Prior that cited all of the same underlying documents, accompanied by even harsher political rhetoric, was published on The Federalist, a far-right website.

According to Vice, those documents were obtained by Prior through a Freedom of Information Act request. Prior lives in Loudoun County. Asked by Vice to provide an example as to how Critical Race Theory is reflected in Loudoun County instruction, Prior said "his second-grade daughter was taught about Christopher Columbus’ genocidal history."
This is how easy it is to exploit conservative whites. It's like they live to be manipulated by their leaders.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by marindem01 »

Congressman Paul Gossar Tweeted An Anime Meme of Him Killing Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

https://www.rawstory.com/republican-con ... io-cortez/

ep. Paul Gosar, R-Ariz., the far-right dentist known for his ties to multiple white nationalist groups, on Sunday released a video of photoshopped clips of an anime show depicting him killing Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y.

The tweeted video – which he captioned, "Any anime fans out there?" – opens with Gosar's name under Japanese text that reads "attack of immigrants," an apparent reference to the anime show "Attack on the Titan" from which the Republican pulled various clips.

The video then goes on to show footage of immigrants at the southern border, overlaying the footage with anime-style special effects and crosscutting with interstitials that read "drugs, crime, poverty, money, gangs, violence" and "trafficking."

Let's hear for Racist/Homophobic/Anti-Semitic Scum bags like Gossar.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Fascinating that Mr. MAGA decided to use a style of animation that comes from Japan to attack immigrants.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Common parlance.

Youngkin said CRT is taught in Virginia schools ... "all over the place". McAuliffe said it isn't. According to PolitiFact, McA was telling the truth, the other was lying.

Now as for what he said ... could have been better phrased but on its ultimate point, I agree. No, parents should not (in all cases) be telling teachers what they can and can't teach. That is not a statement that they should not be involved in it. Even in the curriculum, there are constructive ways they can submit input. But yes, I happen to agree parents should not be telling teachers what to teach, anymore than patients should be telling doctors what to prescribe.

I understand some parents understood that to mean, or decided to distort it to mean, he meant they should have no involvement in their kid's education. I think he was making a more nuanced point. I expressed it better. :D

I did not use any high-faluting academic terminology in these points. In fact, if I dare say, they are, as we say, common sense.

The main thing I get from the VA election is that it shows something I suspected, for a long time: truth is starting to matter less in American elections.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

ProfX wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:17 pm Invoking "the average voter" like the "silent majority" is all fine and good. The bottom line though is reality is reality and facts do exist.

Let's go to PolitiFact.

Youngkin offers little proof critical race theory is in 'all' Virginia schools
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... e-theory-/

Critical race theory is being widely discussed by educators across Virginia. But there's a difference between educators learning about the theory and actually teaching it to students. On that front, Youngkin cites a collection of memos and seminars, but no evidence that critical race theory is being taught in each of the state’s 1,825 public schools.

Critical race theory is not mentioned in the state’s Standards of Learning. A growing list of localities say they do not teach it.

[snip][end]

No evidence is no evidence, and the factuality of the claim (including that Lane memo) is discussed and taken apart by Politifact.

An "average voter" can vote based on the facts, or not. Personally, I feel a responsibility that they should know what they are. While I agree with your point that people often vote based on their perceptions of reality rather than actual reality (see: criminal violence/homicide statistics, etc.), I still think a) it's better to act on correct perceptions of reality and b) I prefer to show people where those are.

It's not a "class". It's not a "subject area". It is actually an outgrowth of Critical Legal Studies, and is essentially a theory about the legal and criminal justice system and the role of race in it. Again, even at a university, most folks will not encounter it outside of law school.

The weird thing, I've been telling this to Mr. Memphis for over a year, and you really do not have to take my word for it. I'd again cite Wikipedia but everybody whines it is user edited. OK fine. Go find a legal encyclopedia, go to the "C" section, and you will see everything I just said is absolutely true... it is so easy to check for oneself, but I guess it is better to whine angrily about things you don't know much about.
I don’t think I ever claimed it was being taught. I do know we have had this discussion several times. My issue has more to do with the role parents, teachers, school administrators and school boards play in education. I think parents deserve to be heard on matters involving the education of their children. I do not think that educators have an absolute right to teach whatever they choose. IMO this is one of the issues in the VA election.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

When you vote left, you vote right.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:16 pm I think parents deserve to be heard on matters involving the education of their children.
We agree on this point. Including that they can and should be heard on constructive feedback on additions or deletions to the curriculum. As to whether their viewpoint on what should be in the curriculum needs to prevail, we have a difference of opinion. Is it really a position of a majority of parents? Does it reflect accurate information or misinformation? Those things matter.

I fear a world where parents overrule teachers and school boards on what should be taught in schools. We've been there, we've done that, particularly with Darwinism in the early 20th century, don't want to go back.
I do not think that educators have an absolute right to teach whatever they choose.
There are no absolute rights.

They fired that professor at FAU who was teaching that Sandy Hook was a "false flag" operation by the government. I support academic freedom. I support educators tackling controversial topics and feeling free to do so. I do not think academic freedom means a right to spread misinformation and disinformation. Academia means a responsibility to accuracy. Obviously, in science, theories get revised, people change their positions, and yes, even I, not being infallible, can get some things wrong, etc., etc., but what that guy was doing was just an egregious assault on reality. That was a case where I supported him being fired.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

ProfX wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:09 pm Fascinating that Mr. MAGA decided to use a style of animation that comes from Japan to attack immigrants.
I'll add that fascination to the fascinations of the night of the stimulus bill vote last week when Paul Gossar had Marjorie Taylor Greene casting his designated vote for him. And that they are the same pair who also formed the America First Caucus last spring. About it historical wiki writes:
The America First Caucus was a short-lived far-right political caucus in the US Congress that was founded on 16 April 2021 by Republican representatives Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar. The caucus was founded to represent the Trumpist faction of the GOP, and it was almost immediately joined by fellow Republican representatives Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert, and Barry Moore, and its creation was denounced by Liz Cheney (who declared, "Republicans believe in equal opportunity, freedom, and justice for all. We teach our children the values of tolerance, decency and moral courage...Racism, nativism, and anti-Semitism are evil. History teaches we all have an obligation to confront & reject such malicious hate.") and Kevin McCarthy (who declared, "The Republican Party is the party of Lincoln & the party of more opportunity for all Americans - not nativist dog whistles.") The immense blowback from the GOP leadership led to the caucus’ dissolution on 18 April 2021, and Greene disowned the caucus and blamed it on her staffers and on “false narratives” from the news media.
https://historica.fandom.com/wiki/America_First_Caucus

In their caucus platform they wrote, "America is a nation with a border, and a culture, strengthened by a common respect for uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions."

There were five of them in that caucus, and all of the other Republicans on the Group W bench moved away from them they were so extreme.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

ProfX wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:32 pm We agree on this point. Including that they can and should be heard on constructive feedback on additions or deletions to the curriculum. As to whether their viewpoint on what should be in the curriculum needs to prevail, we have a difference of opinion. Is it really a position of a majority of parents? Does it reflect accurate information or misinformation? Those things matter.

I fear a world where parents overrule teachers and school boards on what should be taught in schools. We've been there, we've done that, particularly with Darwinism in the early 20th century, don't want to go back.

There are no absolute rights.

They fired that professor at FAU who was teaching that Sandy Hook was a "false flag" operation by the government. I support academic freedom. I support educators tackling controversial topics and feeling free to do so. I do not think academic freedom means a right to spread misinformation and disinformation. Academia means a responsibility to accuracy. Obviously, in science, theories get revised, people change their positions, and yes, even I, not being infallible, can get some things wrong, etc., etc., but what that guy was doing was just an egregious assault on reality. That was a case where I supported him being fired.
I fear a world where we are all expected to to whatever the government says we should do without question. As to what prevails, again, that’s what elections are all about.

I don’t fear parents. I believe most want what’s best for their children. I have more distrust of government than I do of parents.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

sam lefthand wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:36 pm In their caucus platform they wrote, "America is a nation with a border, and a culture, strengthened by a common respect for uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions."
Those damn Celts, like the Kennedies, endangering "Anglo Saxon" democracy since the 19th century. Let alone the Semites, and the Iberians from south of the border.

Sigh.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:48 pm I fear a world where we are all expected to to whatever the government says we should do without question.
Not what I'm advocating. I fear that too. I read 1984. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

After all, there was a federal government/presidency not that long ago putting doctors on the White House lawn telling people to take HCQ and to avoid demon seed and alien DNA.

We agree you shouldn't always trust the government. We don't appear to agree on generally agreeing with medical, historical, and scientific consensus, whether the government is expressing it, or not. I generally think it's the best thing to do. Better governments align with it.
I don’t fear parents. I believe most want what’s best for their children. I have more distrust of government than I do of parents.
I didn't say I feared them. I have met some of the parents of my students, even though they are now past the age of majority (18) they still have interest in their children's education, and that absolutely is not a bad thing. I am always willing to discuss with them "is our children learning?" (joke intended).

I fear misinformation. I dislike it being weaponized by propagandist think tanks to manipulate parents.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:20 pm Point taken.

Actually, the facts alone may persuade if presented in the common parlance.
One word.

KISS.

Landlubber's may not get that.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

ProfX wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:00 pm Not what I'm advocating. I fear that too. I read 1984. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

After all, there was a federal government/presidency not that long ago putting doctors on the White House lawn telling people to take HCQ and to avoid demon seed and alien DNA.

We agree you shouldn't always trust the government. We don't appear to agree on generally agreeing with medical, historical, and scientific consensus, whether the government is expressing it, or not. I generally think it's the best thing to do. Better governments align with it.

I didn't say I feared them. I have met some of the parents of my students, even though they are now past the age of majority (18) they still have interest in their children's education, and that absolutely is not a bad thing. I am always willing to discuss with them "is our children learning?" (joke intended).

I fear misinformation. I dislike it being weaponized by propagandist think tanks to manipulate parents.
There’s a lot of misinformation out there. That’s for sure. And with 24/7 media, all kinds of crap makes it into the news.

I am referring to the lengths we were asked to go with incomplete information. I won’t go into it all as we have gone thru it numerous times. But we did great damage to our economy and I don’t believe it made much if any difference. And it was all “for our own good” supposedly. I recall one poster here going apeshit because I didn’t wear a mask at the lake or at an outdoor gathering Halloween 2020. Now we know that infection outdoors is extremely rare. It made no difference what so ever. The government didn’t know anymore than anyone else. They were just guessing.

So no, I don’t accept everything the government says without question. I don’t care how many experts sign onto whatever they happen to be pushing at the moment.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:30 pm There’s a lot of misinformation out there. That’s for sure. And with 24/7 media, all kinds of crap makes it into the news.

I am referring to the lengths we were asked to go with incomplete information. I won’t go into it all as we have gone thru it numerous times. But we did great damage to our economy and I don’t believe it made much if any difference. And it was all “for our own good” supposedly. I recall one poster here going apeshit because I didn’t wear a mask at the lake or at an outdoor gathering Halloween 2020. Now we know that infection outdoors is extremely rare. It made no difference what so ever. The government didn’t know anymore than anyone else. They were just guessing.

So no, I don’t accept everything the government says without question. I don’t care how many experts sign onto whatever they happen to be pushing at the moment.
What bullshit. You LIED. You said there were zero infections and deaths.

But tell me, Joe, why are the hotspots now Alaska and Montana and all these low-density states? Masks WORK.

The difference between them guessing and YOU guessing is that theirs were EDUCATED guesses, and you had no clue as to what you were talking about. As always.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:55 pm What bullshit. You LIED. You said there were zero infections and deaths.

But tell me, Joe, why are the hotspots now Alaska and Montana and all these low-density states? Masks WORK.

The difference between them guessing and YOU guessing is that theirs were EDUCATED guesses, and you had no clue as to what you were talking about. As always.
Educated or not. I was correct.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:01 pm Educated or not. I was correct.
No, you weren't. First, you had a LOT of infections and deaths in that county. Of course, I never said you needed to wear it when you were at your house alone. But you said no one needed to wear one in your county, that there were zero infections and zero deaths.

There were. So you were, and ARE, wrong.

You ignore the fact that the hotspots now are all the low-density states.

Masks work. But we have lots of idiots like you who think they are medical professionals, and that they know more. You don't.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:08 pm No, you weren't. First, you had a LOT of infections and deaths in that county. Of course, I never said you needed to wear it when you were at your house alone. But you said no one needed to wear one in your county, that there were zero infections and zero deaths.

There were. So you were, and ARE, wrong.

You ignore the fact that the hotspots now are all the low-density states.

Masks work. But we have lots of idiots like you who think they are medical professionals, and that they know more. You don't.
I was outdoors. I didn’t wear a mask in parking lots and you went apeshit. I didn’t wear them in my front yard and you went apeshit. I remember you telling me I didn’t care how many died like I was a one man super spreader. And you were wrong. You were wrong then and you are wrong now. We now know that you don’t spread outdoors. Not because of masking but because of ventilation.

Makes you wonder how much of what we went thru was really necessary and how much of it was just guesswork. I don’t think all the restrictive gymnastics made that much difference. Primarily because you can’t make 320 million people play like a laboratory experiment.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:16 pm I don’t think I ever claimed it was being taught.
You and these karen parents you're defending don't even know what CRT is.
I think parents deserve to be heard on matters involving the education of their children.
Lol since when are confederates interested in what parents of Black children put in roleplays of slaves think, or deserve to be heard on the education of our children?

When have you ever cared about what Native American children in boarding schools were put through into the 1970s, or that Asians and Latinos were not permitted to attend schools with whites, or what any of their parents thought.

Since when are confederates concerned about parents of trans children who want confederates to quit targeting our trans daughters for direct discrimination.

Take a seat.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:22 pmPrimarily because you can’t make 320 million people play like a laboratory experiment.
Never stopped conservative whites from imposing redlining, Jim Crow, reservations, eugenics boards, anti-trans student laws, or immigration quotas for your white-supremacy laboratory experiment.

Conservative whites are very willing to subject other people's children to all manner of social experimentation when it suits you.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:36 pm I'll add that fascination to the fascinations of the night of the stimulus bill vote last week when Paul Gossar had Marjorie Taylor Greene casting his designated vote for him. And that they are the same pair who also formed the America First Caucus last spring. About it historical wiki writes:

https://historica.fandom.com/wiki/America_First_Caucus

In their caucus platform they wrote, "America is a nation with a border, and a culture, strengthened by a common respect for uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions."

There were five of them in that caucus, and all of the other Republicans on the Group W bench moved away from them they were so extreme.
You collude with America First fascists, and are strangely proud of it.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by sam lefthand »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:42 pm You collude with America First fascists, and are strangely proud of it.
That's weird.

:(

Nothing about your statement above in quotes is real.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:48 pm I fear a world where we are all expected to to whatever the government says we should do without question.
No, you aren't.

You guys didn't have any issues with the government dictating to nonwhites where our children can go to school. Never.

You still don't.
As to what prevails, again, that’s what elections are all about.

Well now you're just lying.

Will Texas repeat a McCarthy-like investigation into what students read in schools? - Dallas Morning News

This is not the first time conservative whites have behaved in this manner. Not in Virginia, and not in any other locale.
Heightened scrutiny over how schools teach history -- and whether it was patriotic enough or indoctrinating kids -- spurred the Texas lawmakers to investigate.

Five House members were charged with studying the state’s textbooks with the desire that they emphasized the “glowing and throbbing history of hearts and souls inspired by wonderful American principles and traditions.”

The year was 1962.

Now new fears about censorship in Texas classrooms have reignited as a state lawmaker opened an investigation into districts that carry any of the hundreds of books he’s listed that largely deal with race, gender identity or sexuality.

But even six decades ago, at the height of schoolhouse scrutiny, a former House member charged with investigating textbooks cautioned against state overreach.

“When the time comes when the State Legislature dictates selection of library books in our local school districts, a serious blow will have been dealt to freedom and democracy,” Rep. Ronald E. Roberts, D-Hillsboro, wrote then.

Roberts served at a time when the textbook approval process was mired in controversy and protests against specific sections of books were frequent. Some feared Texas’ textbooks were obscenity-filled or designed to subvert America’s youth.

This was just a few years after Sen. Joseph McCarthy famously held investigations into Communism’s influence on the media and federal government.

Texas’ House Textbook Investigating Committee held hearings across the state, which were suddenly halted after they became so rancorous and the lawmakers received threats.

~ Ida B. Wells