Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Chilly Happy NYC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Nice, this city. Helps that the weather is fine (50-55 F in day time), and that everything's lit for the holiday when it gets dark at 5 PM. The RCA/GE building is now the Comcast building, and every trace of the previous signage has gone to the memory hole. The large GE sign, which replaced the equally large RCA sign, is now itself replaced by an absolutely huge NBC Comcast sign, with logo.

Trump Palace at 3rd and 69th fixed the lighting on its vaguely Babylonian roof. It looks as if they might have gone to LEDs. Maybe the campaign donated the money. Poor Keith Olbermann. He has a really nice place in that building, and he worked and earned the money and bought it fair and square, but now I'll bet he's wishing no one knew that.

A few more cops in Midtown, otherwise whatever they've done for security is pretty invisible. Yesterday an administrative assistant for NYPD lost it in the Rockefeller Center women's room. It was maybe 2 hours before I had to use the male version of said facility, so I missed all the fun. Cops had to come and arrest the almost-cop on a disorderly. She was mad at someone who spent too much time in a stall. It was not investigated as terrorism.

Maybe fewer yellow medallion taxis on the street. I'd have to check numbers, but it looks like maybe 10% less. Uber cars often have an ominous glowing "U" in the windshield. We got a good tour of Queens one night after they suddenly without warning closed the expressway. The driver lived there, and found us a nice back route. I used to have relatives in Queens... but they all seemed to make out financially and move to Manhattan. All over the damn place. I know more people in NYC than in L.A..

Post subject: Re: Chilly Happy NYC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

I just sat back down from having been at the window watching a young eagle preen it's feathers in the top of an Oak tree about 100 feet away. I expect a gopher will raise up it's head, and then just like that it will be lunch.

I just looked it's still there, now it's sitting still on the branch looking for lunch.

We're worlds apart Zowie.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

True.

Though some fancy building on 5th near the 72nd st entrance to Central Park had a nesting falcon family on a ledge for quite a while. They were designated protected wildlife. A guy at the Conservatory Water had a telescope set up, and you could watch them for some number of cents per peak.

Right now the Conservatory Water is the Conservatory Concrete. Drained for winter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Nice, this city. Helps that the weather is fine (50-55 F in day time), and that everything's lit for the holiday when it gets dark at 5 PM. The RCA/GE building is now the Comcast building, and every trace of the previous signage has gone to the memory hole. The large GE sign, which replaced the equally large RCA sign, is now itself replaced by an absolutely huge NBC Comcast sign, with logo.

Trump Palace at 3rd and 69th fixed the lighting on its vaguely Babylonian roof. It looks as if they might have gone to LEDs. Maybe the campaign donated the money. Poor Keith Olbermann. He has a really nice place in that building, and he worked and earned the money and bought it fair and square, but now I'll bet he's wishing no one knew that.

A few more cops in Midtown, otherwise whatever they've done for security is pretty invisible. Yesterday an administrative assistant for NYPD lost it in the Rockefeller Center women's room. It was maybe 2 hours before I had to use the male version of said facility, so I missed all the fun. Cops had to come and arrest the almost-cop on a disorderly. She was mad at someone who spent too much time in a stall. It was not investigated as terrorism.

Maybe fewer yellow medallion taxis on the street. I'd have to check numbers, but it looks like maybe 10% less. Uber cars often have an ominous glowing "U" in the windshield. We got a good tour of Queens one night after they suddenly without warning closed the expressway. The driver lived there, and found us a nice back route. I used to have relatives in Queens... but they all seemed to make out financially and move to Manhattan. All over the damn place. I know more people in NYC than in L.A..

Yep that's my hometown in a nutshell. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:53 pm 
Policy Wonk

If you are trying to get away from the terrorist, you went to the wrong place.

New York, my kind of town. Sorry, that's Chicago's song.

I left my heart in San Francisco. Now that's my favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

It had it's lunch. Now it's safe for Ravens.

I was looking to see what Nate Sliver had to say, he and his writers have been saying a lot about Trump. A nice relaxing series of articles applying real numbers to Trump's expectations.

Today I noticed this about Uber: "Is Uber Making NYC Rush-Hour Traffic Worse?" http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is- ... fic-worse/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's not likely to be an easy task to be bi-coastal, though that might not be obvious to most folks.

Glad to hear you are getting settled in alright.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

> terrorists

Dunno, the last attack was in San Berdoo. Granted, Manhattan is closer to the bulls eye, but so it goes. If you change your life, they win.

> bicoastality

We have it down. The jetlag and the time offsets are the big problems. We can set up housekeeping in either place in 24 hours. The time thing means that crises in L.A. come up at dinner time here. Cell phones enable eating, but not necessarily peaceful eating.

Jetlag is always worse going east. Westward it's more like a long sunset.

> traffic

Funny. Yesterday it was moving along just fine on the east and west sides. It was unsettling. Where were the cars? What's always amazing is how small Manhattan is when traffic can move at full speed. 45 minute trips take 15 minutes, quicker than the subway. It's a little island.

> weather

Still the same, as in gorgeous. El Nino is helping. Talk of 60 degree (F) highs over the weekend. That's a heat wave. In L.A., a December heat wave is in the high 80s instead of the 100s like it would be the rest of the year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Back to normal on the traffic. At peak hours, you can get there faster by walking. Really. Serious. The good thing about the subway is that it's beneath all that. The 2nd Avenue subway is far, far beneath, because they didn't want to spend 30 years moving utilities and other various tunnels for other various things. One is reminded of the existing City Water Tunnel #3, which is down 500 feet, and which is big enough to drive a train through (were the tunnel not full of water), and which really is the 8th wonder of the world. It too is under 2nd Ave and it would be a very wet, and very expensive, experience to hit it.

You descend well into the bowels, or at least you will if they ever finish said subway. I hope I live that long. Everyone does. I really want to ride the thing. For anyone much past 30, it becomes a tossup. The building in the middle of 2nd Avenue at 72nd is gone, but there's still a monstro hole in the ground. The gallery they blew up is still there, in signage at least, but it closed years ago.

Now I sit here reading about the fun and games I missed in L.A. (thank goodness). They finally did a real live test of the train line they built right through the West Side, and within hours some bozo ran the gates with a lumber truck and bagged the train. Closed a bunch of streets. I can't wait to ride that one too, though perhaps I should wear a motorcycle helmet.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

Weather has everyone agog. 60 degrees F yesterday, good shot at 64 today. That, BTW, is warmer than L.A., which is having something of a cold snap (by post-climate-change L.A. standards).

New York rocks. Hanging with friends. I forget how to do that during my lengthy exiles on the other coast.

Yesterday was SantaCon. It started long long ago as good anarchist street theater in San Francisco, then it was an early flash mob type phenomenon where people would see whole NYC subway stations full of santas. Now, unfortunately it's an excuse for an all-day pub crawl and pissing in the street. So many perps come from Long Island that the LIRR annually bans alcohol from its trains for 24 hours. This year they targeted Williamsburg and the East Village. People who live in the affected areas were not amused. Fortunately the red tide never comes up here, even though there's a bar every 150 feet.

Mother Jones ran an online column apologizing for ever having helped start it in NY.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

Got on the plane in NYC, it was 55 degrees F. Got off the plane in L.A., it was 51, and that was pretty much the high for the day.

THAT has to be a first. Wore our NYC jackets out to breakfast, and needed them.

Big difference in the sun, though. Even four days before solstice, it's much brighter here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:21 am 
Board Emeritus

Big difference in the sun, though. Even four days before solstice, it's much brighter here.

Los Angeles? Yeah, way too much sunshine.

It's like someone said on a Jimi Hendrix song, "turn that noise down!"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:55 am 
Board Emeritus

im surprized they dont charge for sunshine in NYC.
i guess they do in a way...rents for windows and sun cost way more.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

im surprized they dont charge for sunshine in NYC.
i guess they do in a way...rents for windows and sun cost way more.

Do you have any idea how much it costs to even rent an apartment in lower Manhattan?

Seriously, way more than it costs in almost any other location in the world.

Totally outrageous.

I'd like to live there but I cannot even come close to being such a monumental asshole who can afford those sort of prices.

Money, money, money...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Brooklyn's getting expensive in places too.

Not just lower Manhattan. The Upper East Side is mostly condos and co-ops, but they are incredibly expensive. Comparable rentals are equally off the chart by US standards. They have a ways to go before they catch London, where a decent place is practically gold.

The whole point to that Take Back New York thing is that gentrification now squeezes out even the upper middle class, and drives out a whole class of mom and pop businesses which make the city what it is. That whole row of ugly new towers around 59th St. is for the 1%. The first one they got close to finishing is skinny, ugly, and really out of place. You can see the damn thing from anywhere. The 1% is flipping us off.