RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:26 am 
Board Emeritus

Just heard of ZC's death. This makes me wonder how we'd know, since we use "names" not connected with our real identities on this board. Maybe we should drop this? I wouldn't mind posting under my real name. Most of the people here who are also friends on Facebook know it anyway. We've had several dear friends disappear from this site and unless someone who knows us by our RFL names and Facebook names notifies us, we're in the dark.
Question: Is it okay to post here under our real names? If so, let's do it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:24 am 
Board Emeritus

Just heard of ZC's death. This makes me wonder how we'd know, since we use "names" not connected with our real identities on this board. Maybe we should drop this? I wouldn't mind posting under my real name. Most of the people here who are also friends on Facebook know it anyway. We've had several dear friends disappear from this site and unless someone who knows us by our RFL names and Facebook names notifies us, we're in the dark.

I'm way ahead of ya!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:51 am 
Board Emeritus

It's interesting, but as you may know, Facebook doesn't, in fact, force you to use your real name.

Most people do. However, I have several donuts on the fact that "Timmy Ramone" (*) is not The Nameless One's real name, but that's what he uses on Facebook.

You have to use something that looks like a real person's first and last name, but it may not, actually, be yours.

(*) In case you don't know, everybody in the punk band The Ramones adopted "Ramone" as their last name, but only as a stage name/pseudonym.

Several people on here know my real name. However, superheroes do need to conceal their secret identity, and I'm not prepared to reveal it to the whole world, unlike Tony Stark. ;)

I'm not lying about being a Jewish college professor from South Florida ... several people know I am telling the truth about that. Based on other things I've said, you could find my real identity with relative ease, so I'm not hiding that well.

There's lots of arguments about why people continue to use anonymous handles on the Internet. I would say this is the best one: there are a lot of douchebags out there.

Somehow, way back when, in the Usenet days, somebody upset with my posts found out my real name, found my address, and decided he would put me on all kinds of nutbag postal mailing lists. I like being able to argue with people, while knowing they can't retaliate with IRL douchebaggery, just impotent flame wars.

That, and it avoids the awkwardness of arguing with my own students online, which almost happened, once.

So, no, I am not going to reveal that I am, in fact, Iron Man. :D

P.S. I am aware that MB and others' continued usage of online handles leads to all kinds of silly games involving sock puppetry and pretension to be what one is not, but I see it as a price to be paid.

It has even been argued that anonymity is needed as a shield for unpopular views, which is why so many American Revolution pamphleteers used pseudonyms, so the practice is not new.

EDIT: ok, my usual windy response :mrgreen: seems to have ignored the real intent of the question above. I am against any requirement saying people have to use their real names. On the other hand, I think nothing has ever stopped anybody from using their real name if they want to, here or elsewhere.

"Randi Rhodes", BTW, was not Randi "Rhodes" real last name ... even on the radio she changed it ... although a 5 second trip to google/wiki makes it easy to find out what her real last name was. She had stalkers, and she has a adoptive daughter who could be stalked, so I don't hand it out like candy either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Getting to know people online - rarely, if ever seeing the other person face-to-face - is an interesting process.

Over the course of several years, many of us have actually gotten to know each other pretty darn well, as we share with each other many details about our lives.

And sometimes we actually do get together. A group of folks in Los Angeles got together a couple of times. (I still have some photographs from one of those events.) I even attended a get together in Portland a few years ago with Christine, Bill_G, and Fellixe. Interesting, two of them are actually using a real name. (And I'm still totally bummed that RoyPDX didn't join us at that get together. Say, what do we have here? - another person using their real name.)

I asked Bill_G to join us here, but for now he's happy hanging out on OregonLive. Christine appears to have shifted to doing her thing on Facebook. And of course Fellixe is here from time to time. It's probably not obvious to most of you yet, but he really is a totally awesome dude.

Our buddy Bushwa is now an elected official in one of the many incorporated cities in Los Angeles County. Otherwise, he'd probably be having a lot of fun talking with Ike Bana.

Many of us lost another dear online friend - SickUpandFed - a bit more than a year ago. So it goes, a single lifetime is finite in duration. He had a beautiful and strong online voice, both here on these message boards and on Facebook. I miss his voice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

It stays ZoWie. I have a trail a mile wide so it hardly matters, except that along with the fratboys signing you up for everything or dumping shit on your porch, there's the American left aka circular firing squad. It eats its own.

Also, we have a couple of "sensitive" clients. They're local nonprofits, not the CIA, but for some it's the same thing. Bomb threats get old fast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:40 pm 
Policy Wonk

You have to be good to hide your identity. My trusted Bernardo is the only one that knows. He is my Deadhead persona in places like California.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:14 pm 
Policy Wonk

I'm not one to share my name here or in other forums of chats. It's just the way I am and is not a reaction to anyone here.

I have no issue with adding people to Facebook, the only place wherein I do use my real name.

Of course, it fails to address the issue of how you'd add me if you don't know my real name.

If, on the off chance, anyone would like to add me on Facebook, drop me a private message and I will let you know who to look for. Or you can forward me your Facebook information and I'll you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

If you're coming to Miami, and you want to be shown where to get the best mojitos, PM me, and I'll show you.

(BTW, hottentot venus, if you're still here, let me apologize because I believe you once DID PM me about this, but I was out of town the weekend you were coming.)

You'll find out everything I'm telling the truth about online. It's all true. :D

In real life, I'm a shy introvert. Oh, I bitch about everything, but rarely to peoples' faces (at least about them), because IRL I avoid conflict. :mrgreen:

I may like politics, but I'd be a lousy politician; hate crowds, refuse to make small talk, I might rather be dipped in acid than work a room glad-handing and kissing babies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Many of us lost another dear online friend - SickUpandFed - a bit more than a year ago. So it goes, a single lifetime is finite in duration. He had a beautiful and strong online voice, both here on these message boards and on Facebook. I miss his voice.

Wow, I didn't know that! I remember him too. Do you know what happened?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Getting to know people online - rarely, if ever seeing the other person face-to-face - is an interesting process.

Over the course of several years, many of us have actually gotten to know each other pretty darn well, as we share with each other many details about our lives.

And sometimes we actually do get together. A group of folks in Los Angeles got together a couple of times. (I still have some photographs from one of those events.) I even attended a get together in Portland a few years ago with Christine, Bill_G, and Fellixe. Interesting, two of them are actually using a real name. (And I'm still totally bummed that RoyPDX didn't join us at that get together. Say, what do we have here? - another person using their real name.)

I asked Bill_G to join us here, but for now he's happy hanging out on OregonLive. Christine appears to have shifted to doing her thing on Facebook. And of course Fellixe is here from time to time. It's probably not obvious to most of you yet, but he really is a totally awesome dude.

Our buddy Bushwa is now an elected official in one of the many incorporated cities in Los Angeles County. Otherwise, he'd probably be having a lot of fun talking with Ike Bana.

I never did find out why Greg/SU died...He and I were pretty close given we never met

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

There was another member I used to have some fun with in the religion forum at Randy's board. His name was Mark Pogue but I forget the user name he went by on the board. He died of a heart attack a few years ago.