Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Watcha Been Doing?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Other than being on these forums, what have you been doing lately?

Yesterday, I "repaired" my broken dishwasher. I noticed last week it wasn't drying the dishes and figured it was the heating element. I took down the make and model number and looked it up on the internet and found Amazon sold them so I ordered one. It came in over the weekend and yesterday, I figured I might as well get to it. I reviewed a YouTube a video on how to replace the heating coil for a Kenmore dishwasher and figured it wasn't difficult. Of course, the person in the video knew what he was doing and the dishwasher was housed in a standalone kitchen island making it easy to get at and room to work.

Not being mechanically inclined to do large jobs I figured I could do it and it should take 30-45 minutes. In actuality, it took me about an hour. The only tools I needed were a Phillips-head screwdriver, a flat-head screwdriver, a 2-in adjustable wrench, some rags, towels, and a flashlight. Once I got everything done and put back together I tested it but running an empty load. After it was finished, I opened the door and stem rushed out meaning it worked like it should. I checked under the dishwasher before replacing the kick panel at the bottom front of the machine and and under the sink for leaks and everything is good to go.

One thing that did surprise me was how light the entire dishwasher unit really is. I have no doubt, had I wanted to, I could have lifted the entire unit off the floor with no problem. I think my recliner weights more than the dishwasher does.

Post subject: Re: Watcha Been Doing?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

I couldnt repair a burned out light bulb if I had the light bulb to replace it with.

Maybe, but it would take some thought....

But seriously, I had one burn out in my built in microwave, cost $245 to replace it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

I just started a Heart tribute band.
http://Www.heartlessvt.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

Big fan of Heart.

Those women know how to rock

Post some sounds if you can someday

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

I couldnt repair a burned out light bulb if I had the light bulb to replace it with.

Maybe, but it would take some thought....

But seriously, I had one burn out in my built in microwave, cost $245 to replace it

I usually look up on YouTube how to do things or carefully read the instruction manual. Sine I've been bicycling more, I've decided to do more of the preventative maintenance on my bike myself. I bought a portable bicycle repair stand, similar to what the bike repair stores use, so I can mount my bike and work on it comfortably. It makes a world of difference when I'm cleaning and lubing my chain, cleaning the disk breaks, or just cleaning the bike.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

:) I just got done played Dreamboat Annie in the Duplicate Thread.

Until the sun comes up and it gets too hot, I've been painting an old barn. Taking the day off today.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:23 pm 
Policy Wonk

I continue to pursue the perfect Butterfly and Hummingbird photo.

And make things. Lot's of things.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Making stuff here. Most of it is pixels arranged on a screen, but also some graphite and pigment arranged on various surfaces.

In the middle of a YUGE antenna project for the radio gear. Money is tight, so it goes slowly. I have to figure out a good way to route the feeder and rotator cables into the house, without convincing Ms. Z that the resulting leaks will rot out the whole wall. (They won't. I use grommets and drip loops.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Got back from a trip to Alaska on Saturday and, having finally readjusted my body clock after 20 hours of daylight, am sorting through zillions of photos - and awaiting the return of my car from the repair shop. Hint: do NOT try to drive in bumper-to-bumper SF traffic on a Saturday after 36 hours of little sleep, no breakfast or lunch or coffee and nearly 24 hours of travel. You will hit someone and do terrible things to your car. And you'll feel like a fool.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Got back from a trip to Alaska on Saturday and, having finally readjusted my body clock after 20 hours of daylight, am sorting through zillions of photos - and awaiting the return of my car from the repair shop. Hint: do NOT try to drive in bumper-to-bumper SF traffic on a Saturday after 36 hours of little sleep, no breakfast or lunch or coffee and nearly 24 hours of travel. You will hit someone and do terrible things to your car. And you'll feel like a fool.

Were you on a cruise or a land trip and what part(s) of Alaska did you visit?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yuck! I've been cleaning my apartment. What a complete farked up mess.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Were you on a cruise or a land trip and what part(s) of Alaska did you visit?

I went with my daughter and her girlfriend. Flew to Anchorage and drove down the Kenai Peninsula to Seward, where we took a one-day whale-and-glacier cruise and then hiked up to a glacier the next day. Then back to Anchorage where we got the train to Denali and spent three days in the park. The younger folks did a 20-mile bike ride on one of the days; the rest of the time we took the park bus about 65 miles in (it's the only way you can get into the park other than on a bike or on foot) and hiked and saw lots of wildlife. Then we took the train to Fairbanks and flew home via Seattle. The best thing about Fairbanks is it made it easier to leave Alaska - seriously sketchy town...

The whole trip was short - 8 days - but fabulous. Breathtaking country, both in the southern fjords and up in the tundra of Denali, where the vistas are unimaginably sweeping and magnificent. We had amazing weather - warm and clear almost the whole time. They say your chances of actually seeing Denali are about 30% - we saw it from the time we left Anchorage and throughout our time in the park until the last day, when it began to cloud over - which was also a majestic sight.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Big fan of Heart.

Those women know how to rock

Post some sounds if you can someday

Come to a show. We will most likely do a tour.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

I went with my daughter and her girlfriend. Flew to Anchorage and drove down the Kenai Peninsula to Seward, where we took a one-day whale-and-glacier cruise and then hiked up to a glacier the next day. Then back to Anchorage where we got the train to Denali and spent three days in the park. The younger folks did a 20-mile bike ride on one of the days; the rest of the time we took the park bus about 65 miles in (it's the only way you can get into the park other than on a bike or on foot) and hiked and saw lots of wildlife. Then we took the train to Fairbanks and flew home via Seattle. The best thing about Fairbanks is it made it easier to leave Alaska - seriously sketchy town...

The whole trip was short - 8 days - but fabulous. Breathtaking country, both in the southern fjords and up in the tundra of Denali, where the vistas are unimaginably sweeping and magnificent. We had amazing weather - warm and clear almost the whole time. They say your chances of actually seeing Denali are about 30% - we saw it from the time we left Anchorage and throughout our time in the park until the last day, when it began to cloud over - which was also a majestic sight.

Sounds like you had a good time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Working and visiting Mrs. Bird as she is rehabbing from spinal decompression surgery that took place on June 3. The surgeon worked on L-3, L-4, L-5 and S-1. The nerves were so closed down at L-3 that the surgeon had to use his smallest instruments. Surgery took 4 hours. Unfortunately she developed a very large hematoma under the incision which showed staph but not MRSA. That required going back under the knife and then an abscess which required another procedure. She entered the rehab facility on July 1. She will probably be there until August 13 as she has to continue getting the antibiotics via a picc line and the therapy as well. She is improving but it is a slow process.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:45 am 
Board Emeritus

Sounds like you had a good time.

We did. And I never saw a newspaper or tv the entire time and had a whole week away from the whole campaign thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:54 am 
Board Emeritus

Working and visiting Mrs. Bird as she is rehabbing from spinal decompression surgery that took place on June 3. The surgeon worked on L-3, L-4, L-5 and S-1. The nerves were so closed down at L-3 that the surgeon had to use his smallest instruments. Surgery took 4 hours. Unfortunately she developed a very large hematoma under the incision which showed staph but not MRSA. That required going back under the knife and then an abscess which required another procedure. She entered the rehab facility on July 1. She will probably be there until August 13 as she has to continue getting the antibiotics via a picc line and the therapy as well. She is improving but it is a slow process.

Oy, quite an ordeal.

I hope things improve sooner than expected.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:14 am 
Board Emeritus

40th class reunion this weekend. In that top vacation spot Akron Ohio.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

40th class reunion this weekend. In that top vacation spot Akron Ohio.

LOL

Have a good reunion. Say hi to what's left of Goodyear for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:21 am 
Board Emeritus

LOL

Have a good reunion. Say hi to what's left of Goodyear for me.

I drove by there and they have torn down the old smoke stacks.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just did laundry. Proving once again that I'm destined to never own a black t-shirt. Every single time I wash t-shirts, it doesn't matter what brand, powder or liquid, if I load the black on the bottom, middle or top of the load. It doesn't matter that I put the soap in, let the washer fill halfway up, put my arm in (before laundry), and swish the soap/water for 2 solid minutes. Every single fucking time, ALL my black t-shirts come out with soap on them. Not the other colors. Just the black ones. And no, I'm not using to much soap. For shits and giggles, one time I did one load with HALF the amount of soap. Still soap all over the black ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just did laundry. Proving once again that I'm destined to never own a black t-shirt. Every single time I wash t-shirts, it doesn't matter what brand, powder or liquid, if I load the black on the bottom, middle or top of the load. It doesn't matter that I put the soap in, let the washer fill halfway up, put my arm in (before laundry), and swish the soap/water for 2 solid minutes. Every single fucking time, ALL my black t-shirts come out with soap on them. Not the other colors. Just the black ones. And no, I'm not using to much soap. For shits and giggles, one time I did one load with HALF the amount of soap. Still soap all over the black ones.

I always use the hypo allergy free from everything except soap liquid detergent and never have a problem. That being said who do you think you are Johnny Cash, get out there and buy some Hawaiian shirts they will cheer you up. I got mine at the local Goodwill for under $4 a shirt. :]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

You may want to check on the drain line filter to make sure it's not clogged. If it's clogged, the water will drain slower allowing the detergents to settle into the clothes. You may want to check online to find the manual for your washer and for videos on how to check/change it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

We've been having a bit of a heat wave, at least for this area but the last couple of days we've had low clouds along the coast keeping it cool until early afternoon. I took advantage of this cooler weather to detail my car. I washed it well, using unbelievably very little water, then I used a product to restore its color, waxed it, used a plastic trim detail product to bring back the color, and then did the wheels. The car is shiny and has a slick feel when you run your hand on it. Also, did the windows first using water to get the dust and dirt off and then used a product called Invisible Glass to really clean the windows and leave them almost like the product's name.

I like to keep my car clean and shiny so I usually wax it 6-8 times, or more, a year and I use a California Duster twice a week to remove the dust. Having a good wax job makes it easier to dust it. My car is parked in a covered carport below two condo units so the space is open on three sides to the wind, but not the rain. About two weeks ago, I took it to the dealer to get a rear door lock replaced and when he came out to take the VIN number and odometer reading he commented that it look like it was new. I took that as a complement since the car is 9 1/2 years old.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

You may want to check on the drain line filter to make sure it's not clogged. If it's clogged, the water will drain slower allowing the detergents to settle into the clothes. You may want to check online to find the manual for your washer and for videos on how to check/change it.
It's not my washer. It's the complex's laundry room washers. And they're not owned by the complex.

When I wash blue jeans, no problem. If they're black jeans, soaped.