Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: this month sucks.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

i avoid december. its the end of a long year of bullshit particular to living in the 'us'
which culminates in the unrelenting droning demand to spend the rest of your money Now on
...some thing...before its too late.

its cold and droning and copious repetitive redundant excessive, the entire month.

and my nose is stuffed.
:ntalk: :phbbt:

Post subject: Re: this month sucks.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

I screen that crap out. We exchange practical gifts, or none at all.

It helps that December in L.A. is the only time this place looks like a real climate, so it's 31 days of art making in the pretty lighting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

I screen that crap out. We exchange practical gifts, or none at all.

It helps that December in L.A. is the only time this place looks like a real climate, so it's 31 days of art making in the pretty lighting.

We have kids in our lives again so it makes it lots of fun. However prior to that it was getting somewhat redundant.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:01 am 
Board Emeritus

I don't do christmas. I havent' done the gift giving thing for years. I got sick and tired of people not appreciating the gifts I gave them. Even christmas parties were a let down. Since then the holiday season has been stress free.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

i avoid december. its the end of a long year of bullshit particular to living in the 'us'
which culminates in the unrelenting droning demand to spend the rest of your money Now on
...some thing...before its too late.

its cold and droning and copious repetitive redundant excessive, the entire month.

and my nose is stuffed.
:ntalk: :phbbt:

This time of year is the most manipulative time of the year by businesses who've convinced most people they have to spend money on gifts for others to show they love them. Their message is if you're not spending then you're not normal. I'll agree that I'm not normal, in their eyes, but I'm not stupid enough to fall for their line that I have to spend money simply because they're promoting a holiday. So for businesses I say, go ahead an run your commercials telling us how much we can save on a new car, living room furniture, jewelry, etc..., I'll spend my money on things I need and not because you say to spend.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

If you don't like "the American way of life," drop the parts that aren't working for you. I know it's a pain seeing all those Chri$tma$ commercials practically ordering you to go broke supporting your local merchants, but there are ways not to see them.

Far as the media go, most of what I noticed in commercials earlier this year was their all showing skinny guys with beards. Their agencies must have found out they tested well with their hallowed Millennials. Skinny guys with beards buying car insurance. Skinny guys with beards buying all the other usual shit they advertise. I mean REALLY skinny. If you look that skinny on TV, you've gotta be a beanpole in the real world. It's died down somewhat now, and of course RIGHT now it's all Santa and jingle bells.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have to say, this entire year sucked. And it sucked bad. I think 2016 will do down on record as one of the worst years in history.

Look at all the talent we lost.

On a personal level, there were health issues related to my eye.

Then there's this political atrocity that will go down as the worst election in history with the most unstable and dangerous candidate in history. People's lives will be greatly affected as rights are taken away and hate groups continue to propagate.

Fuck 2016.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

There's quite a bit of discussion about this. There's general agreement that 2016 is a legitimate contender for worst year for most people alive today. I saw a lot of entropy going in, and made sure about things like insurance being current, passports up to date, power failure lights functional, and enough water for weeks.

It still surprised me. The center could not hold. The best lacked/lack all conviction while the worst were/are full of passionate intensity. The UK shot itself in the foot. The US election was draining for everyone and toxic for most. Half the population of Syria was displaced. And, of course, you couldn't go over a week without some beloved famous person dropping dead.

BUT -- 2016 still has quite a bit of competition for Worst Year Ever. The Black Death killing 1/4 of the population of Europe has been suggested as worse. 1914, when Europe commenced the self-destruction now called WWI is another contender.

Stretching things a bit, there was some kind of meteor storm or something around the 700s which pretty much destroyed whatever was left of central authority worldwide. Of course, if you want to count years without people, the asteroid strike that supposedly killed off the dinosaurs (and most other land species) would be up there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Fair points. There are certainly historical records that would be insulted by my comment. It's more appropriate to say, it's one of the worst personal years in my life time.