RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:44 am 
Banned

Just pulled in from Arctic Tundra of Grand Forks. -25 this morning without windchill, even with modern day car technology cars don't like cold either. My truck and GFs Infinity SUV started hard this morning. I teased her because her doors on 1 year old Infinity would not close all the way after we opened this morning. I had to get stuff out of my truck and they closed tight, built in the Greatest State in the Union: Michigan. :) It was built in Flint. Detroit would have been cooler. :) Took 40 minutes of warming up for hers to close correctly when we went to get my cubs for bfast. I am a northern boy, but damn it was cold. Very proud of my little girl!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Congratulations. :)

My daughter just returned from her school for the break. We're proud of her.

When I was living in that kind of foul weather one pluged in their cars and trucks. It was during the earlier days of fuel injection. We loved our fuel injection just as soon as we had it.

I remember a work truck a 4x4 Dodge Ram, it was assigned to me. It had a carburetor, which in my opinion meant it was junk. It also had a rusted through spot on the floorboard right behind the drivers side front wheel, one had to remember to plant their boot over it just so, so as to not be splattered by melting snow the tire ran over.

Anyway if the temperature got below minus 10 during a night Ray would show up at my house about 5:30. We would hook up a chain to my truck, and together we'd get mine started. Dragging it down the road was the best way to get that one to start. Once it was going I wouldn't turn it off all day. Not even for fifteen minutes. I tried that once and had to call Ray. If one went to a job site on a day like that they would have seen a host of trucks idling. A lazy day for trucks. ;)

That 4x4 Dodge Ram had a spare tire, but it didn't have a jack. I found that out on a day when the rain was pouring down. I had a shovel, but not enough blocks, imagine having to scour up and down the edge of the highway looking for enough flat rocks to make up for that lack of blocks in the pouring rain. When I drove on from that delay, water was going through that hole in the floorboard both ways. Didn't know where was the best place to place my boot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:03 pm 
Banned

Congratulations. :)

My daughter just returned from her school for the break. We're proud of her.

When I was living in that kind of foul weather one pluged in their cars and trucks. It was during the earlier days of fuel injection. We loved our fuel injection just as soon as we had it.

I remember a work truck a 4x4 Dodge Ram, it was assigned to me. It had a carburetor, which in my opinion meant it was junk. It also had a rusted through spot on the floorboard right behind the drivers side front wheel, one had to remember to plant their boot over it just so, so as to not be splattered by melting snow the tire ran over.

Anyway if the temperature got below minus 10 during a night Ray would show up at my house about 5:30. We would hook up a chain to my truck, and together we'd get mine started. Dragging it down the road was the best way to get that one to start. Once it was going I wouldn't turn it off all day. Not even for fifteen minutes. I tried that once and had to call Ray. If one went to a job site on a day like that they would have seen a host of trucks idling. A lazy day for trucks. ;)

That 4x4 Dodge Ram had a spare tire, but it didn't have a jack. I found that out on a day when the rain was pouring down. I had a shovel, but not enough blocks, imagine having to scour up and down the edge of the highway looking for enough flat rocks to make up for that lack of blocks in the pouring rain. When I drove on from that delay, water was going through that hole in the floorboard both ways. Didn't know where was the best place to place my boot.

Thanks, she is going to relax for next 6 months. Accepted into a few med schools. One is Michigan, I am more influenced to pay that bill :). Dodge trucks really suck But I would take one over walking. :). My 1 ton Chevy monster crew started Sunday at -25 in Grand Forks. Sounded a little painful doing it, but she came thru. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thanks, she is going to relax for next 6 months. Accepted into a few med schools. One is Michigan, I am more influenced to pay that bill :). Dodge trucks really suck But I would take one over walking. :). My 1 ton Chevy monster crew started Sunday at -25 in Grand Forks. Sounded a little painful doing it, but she came thru. :)

Good for her! Does she have any specialty in mind? Can always use family practice docs. As regards trucks my brother-in-law has a GM duellie for hauling his horses. Had a two wheel drive dodge before and said he got tired of getting stuck on wet grass.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:59 am 
Policy Wonk

Congrats....have several family members who are UND alum. Some went into academia.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:15 pm 
Banned

Congrats....have several family members who are UND alum. Some went into academia.

She is considering it. I am stilling pulling for her to go to Michigan Med/Grad school. I have leverage since I am paying for it and have a home there. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:34 pm 
Policy Wonk

My preference is MI's other large university......but that said UM is a good value, in state.

But my larger suggestion is to wait to figure out what she want to do before moving on...You can study just about anything at UM or MSU, but it is much easier...and usually much more fulfilling, if its done because that's what someone wants to study, not because someone is pushing for it. I know my second foray into grad school, resulted in much higher grades (and probably a better education) because I wanted to be there....not just because it seemed like the thing to do.

And finally, keep the debt as low as possible. It sure provides a lot more flexibility and happier life when finished. Maybe more than a big name school offers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:14 am 
Banned

My preference is MI's other large university......but that said UM is a good value, in state.

But my larger suggestion is to wait to figure out what she want to do before moving on...You can study just about anything at UM or MSU, but it is much easier...and usually much more fulfilling, if its done because that's what someone wants to study, not because someone is pushing for it. I know my second foray into grad school, resulted in much higher grades (and probably a better education) because I wanted to be there....not just because it seemed like the thing to do.

And finally, keep the debt as low as possible. It sure provides a lot more flexibility and happier life when finished. Maybe more than a big name school offers.

Go Blue! :) I would seriously have issues writing checks to cover her graduate degree if I was writing them to little brother MSU.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:35 pm 
Policy Wonk

Michigan State is the University of Michigan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Congrats buddy, UND I go by that stadium 8 to 15 times a year. UND, well I guess when you cant get into The Ohio State.......................:]

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:28 pm 
Policy Wonk

The Ohio State.......................:]
I'm sure Scout and I would agree that either would be a better choice than OSU.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:46 pm 
Banned

I'm sure Scout and I would agree that either would be a better choice than OSU.

Definitely, daughter would never apply to OSU. She has already been accepted to many of best med schools in country. OSU meth head trailer park school is even beat by Badgers and Gophers for best in country. :) I had to go to page two to even find Buckeye ranking. :rw)

http://medical-schools.startclass.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Definitely, daughter would never apply to OSU. She has already been accepted to many of best med schools in country. OSU meth head trailer park school is even beat by Badgers and Gophers for best in country. :) I had to go to page two to even find Buckeye position. :rw)

Scout, does your daughter know you use school gladiator team ratings to color your fatherly advice as to which school she ought to attend? For med school for crying out loud.

BTW, regarding Buckeyes, I have Buckeye trees, a dozen of them at least. And here in California they grow well, big and strong. They grow nice big buckeyes. I can walk out and pick them in season as many as I want.

I decided they are not good to eat. But I have decided that they are where hacky sacks came from. A ripe buckeye is a hacky sack, otherwise know as a footbag.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:02 am 
Banned

Scout, does your daughter know you use school gladiator team ratings to color your fatherly advice as to which school she ought to attend? For med school for crying out loud.

Definitely, My favorite question to them since young and since is: What is the Greatest State in the Union? They always answer Michigan.

Now here is the beauty, I understand a great education and Go Blue beats most Universities in all areas. So I am correct in teaching her greatness of Go Blue!. :) My link proves that with med school rating of Go Blue vs. lowly OSU. :) She has also been accepted to all she has applied to in the top ten list. She didn't waste her time applying to any school of lesser stature. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:30 am 
Board Emeritus

Well OK.

Wasn't it go blue where President Ford lost his brains? Playing too much, too long there without a helmet? Or so as the legend tells it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:28 am 
Policy Wonk

Definitely, My favorite question to them since young and since is: What is the Greatest State in the Union? They always answer Michigan.
:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:57 am 
Board Emeritus

Definitely, daughter would never apply to OSU. She has already been accepted to many of best med schools in country. OSU meth head trailer park school is even beat by Badgers and Gophers for best in country. :) I had to go to page two to even find Buckeye ranking. :rw)

My daughter got her PhD from MUSC Medical U of South Carolina standing proud at #62.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:22 pm 
Banned

My daughter got her PhD from MUSC Medical U of South Carolina standing proud at #62.

Congrats to her, hell of an accomplishment! :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:23 am 
Board Emeritus

Now here is the beauty, I understand a great education and Go Blue beats most Universities in all areas. So I am correct in teaching her greatness of Go Blue!. :) My link proves that with med school rating of Go Blue vs. lowly OSU. :) She has also been accepted to all she has applied to in the top ten list. She didn't waste her time applying to any school of lesser stature. ;)

Interesting that the top one for primary care is the huskies. University of Washington. According in U.S. News. My brother got his masters there in geology. Of course the top research ones were the usual suspects. Johns Hopkins etc.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.