Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Mini Rant
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:37 am 
Board Emeritus

So, I recently joined Facebook. Initially it was to receive a set of colored pencils I won in a giveaway. Yeah, I know. Past friends weren't the motivating factor. :rw)

Anyway, I started getting notifications from former classmates so I accepted their friendship invitation.

That may have been a mistake. People who I wouldn't think about going out for coffee with were filling up my stream with bullshit like

"Real Women Voted for Trump" (showing women holding up signs) *a very small group of women, btw
"Real Women (shown in military fatigues) March for Our Rights (in the army) ..."

I responded with this

"I'm sick of seeing posts about how "real women" vote for Trump or don't march in the street. Fuck that! A "real woman" can do whatever she goddamn feels like doing. If she voted for Hillary Clinton, then she's still a real woman. If she marches in the street, then she's still a real woman. Who are you to tell her otherwise? Does that make you feel "real" to judge what other women do?"

PLEASE PLEASE UNFRIEND ME PEOPLE :rw)

Post subject: Re: Mini Rant
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Facebook's notorious lack of granularity strikes again.

I had a similar experience. I had been told that it was a great place to find people I'd known in college and lost touch with. I found them, all right, and a rather unsettling number of them were Republicans drinking the Kool-Aid served up by the usual suspects. This was depressing, and one reason I haven't looked at facebook in months. Not the biggest reason, not even close, but one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Part of the reason I don't do Facebook or Twitter is because I don't want to hear about minutia of someone else's life. It's like the 21st Century version of the Christmas/New Year's letter detailing everything that went on in your family's life. If I want to know, I'll ask and if they want to know what's going on in my life they can ask.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:12 am 
Board Emeritus

i do facebook to say happy birthday to people or to update people on the progress of mrs. bird's recovery from spinal decompression surgery.

i do NOT do politics on facebook.

there is a reason i call it anti-social media.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:21 am 
Board Emeritus

One things for sure, on FB you learn fast where people lie on the political spectrum. Sometimes I'm delighted, sometimes I'm :o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:28 am 
Board Emeritus

It was really never designed for political discussion, nor was it intended to be used as a source of political news.

I think it still poorly functions for the former, and has become a tragic farce because of the latter. Though they are finally trying to do something to clean up the problem, whatever you want to call it "FN" or not....

Dunno. It's a socialization thing, I suppose. I first started discussing ... stuff ... on Usenet, on Compuserve boards (anybody remember those?), heck on BBS FidoNet boards (anybody remember those?)

This is just natural to me. Maybe because, trying to discuss substantive stuff on Facebook or Twitter seems ... awkward. There's a definite need to talk to your far flung friends or family, and a definite need to find out when your favorite celebrity just took a dump. OK, I was being a bit sarcastic on the last one. I just think neither works well for political discussion.

As for notices for political activism/demonstrations/meetups ... yeah. And you can see people doing that in the Arab Spring and elsewhere around the world. But I think the platform Zowie's talking about, that Action Net, seems to work far better for that purpose, too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Twitter gets good when things hit the fan, at least until whatever government is involved can stop dialog. There have been some epic uprisings documented on it.

At least here, it also gets news about what's happening in the neighborhood a lot faster than the big media do. In fact, I get DMs from big media all the time asking if they can use a tweet or a video. I generally say yes.

Facebook didn't work for me. Too much information, most of it trivial and boring. A couple of good artists who I really respect spent most of the time discussing how talented their kids were instead of sharing art. Oh, and twitter is perfect for sharing art. So is Ello, and as that site evolves, art seems to be its primary purpose right now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:50 am 
Board Emeritus

Yesterday I saw a meme that my cousin reshared. It showed the World Trade Center being demolished with a reminder of why the Mulsim ban was a good thing.

So I found an article explaining why Saudi Arabia wasn't included in that ban. Weird, considering the highjackers were Saudis.

No response from my cousin.

Was I dreaming this, or did Prezgropper threaten the president of Mexico about "bad hombres.?"

He's so demented that he doens't know what he wants to do. Which is it Donald, build a wall or go to war?

We're fucked.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:56 am 
Board Emeritus

Was I dreaming this, or did Prezgropper threaten the president of Mexico about "bad hombres.?"

Well, it's a weird situation. AP reported that Trump told Nieto if Mexico didn't deal with its "bad hombres" he would send in an invasion force to go get them. So not quite as bad as 1848. More like going after Pancho Villa. Kind of like his tweet about Chicago.

But, the Mexican government - not the Trump administration - is now denying it. I was considering posting that story, but then I saw the retraction at a few places.

AP isn't RawStory or BuzzFeed. So who knows.

On the other hand, there seems to be no denial that Donald pissed off the Australians yesterday.

This could be a bad idea.

Imports of Vegemite might be cut off. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dunno. It's a socialization thing, I suppose. I first started discussing ... stuff ... on Usenet, on Compuserve boards (anybody remember those?), heck on BBS FidoNet boards (anybody remember those?)

Yeah I even remember ClariNet.

Lol, dorky name.

Anybody remember the Netly News? http://www.salon.com/1998/09/29/log_3/

Dorky old internet.

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:21 pm 
Policy Wonk

:D Or IRC "channels."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

:D Or IRC "channels."

And MOOs and MUDs!

I never got into them.

cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, MUDs, Multiple User Dungeon or something. Before my time. I do remember USENET and the .alt hierarchy and the birth of trolling. (At that time, it meant moving through a lot of groups looking for something they could use to start a fight between other people for entertainment. Like trolling for fish.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:26 am 
Board Emeritus

There's a guy I've been subbed to on youtube and he with me. We're both anti-theocrats and progressives---or so I thought.

He posted a video last week saying he not only voted for Trump but applauds what he's doing. Why?

For one thing, he was pissed at the DNC for being biased for Hillary and rigging the primaries against Bernie. He sited a source claiming that around 3 million Bernie supporters voted for Trump.

So, in the comments I tell him that he voted for a theocrat in the form of the VP, a racist named Bannon, and a con man. I pointed out Trump U. And I reminded him about the sexual assault allegations. No sir, I don't applaud him, I loathe him.

His response was he was feeling rejected by the groups he once supported because now he's being told to check his privilege and the minorities he defended during his union days are now part of BLM.

He ends by saying the only interest group he's now interested in is his family.

To which I responded that I too was pissed at the DNC but that wasn't an excuse to embrace right wing ideology. And I pointed out that voting for Trump is a lousy way to defend his family if he cared about his retirement or affordable health care.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

This guy seems to have an incomplete grasp of the situation. It does show, however, why the drumpf phenomenon spread as widely as it did.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

This guy seems to have an incomplete grasp of the situation. It does show, however, why the drumpf phenomenon spread as widely as it did.

It's misplaced anger. It's the old chopping your nose off to spite your face, or burning the house down because you hate the kitchen--or whatever old adage you wanna put in there.

Joining the dark side because you're pissed with the establishment DNC is only giving more power and leverage to the republicans who want to screw you faster and harder. Yeah, I know. Poor analogy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

There's a guy I've been subbed to on youtube and he with me. We're both anti-theocrats and progressives---or so I thought.

He posted a video last week saying he not only voted for Trump but applauds what he's doing. Why?

For one thing, he was pissed at the DNC for being biased for Hillary and rigging the primaries against Bernie. He sited a source claiming that around 3 million Bernie supporters voted for Trump.

So, in the comments I tell him that he voted for a theocrat in the form of the VP, a racist named Bannon, and a con man. I pointed out Trump U. And I reminded him about the sexual assault allegations. No sir, I don't applaud him, I loathe him.

His response was he was feeling rejected by the groups he once supported because now he's being told to check his privilege and the minorities he defended during his union days are now part of BLM.

He ends by saying the only interest group he's now interested in is his family.

To which I responded that I too was pissed at the DNC but that wasn't an excuse to embrace right wing ideology. And I pointed out that voting for Trump is a lousy way to defend his family if he cared about his retirement or affordable health care.

Really, does any of this surprise anyone?

Berniebros and sis's voted race resentments and cloistered selfishness, not class or any of the other of the other oh-so-lofty political principles many are so eager to preach at us about.

They can go jump in the lake.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Really, does any of this surprise anyone?

Berniebros and sis's voted race resentments and cloistered selfishness, not class or any of the other of the other oh-so-lofty political principles many are so eager to preach at us about.

They can go jump in the lake.

The number of posts of mine the got hidden, the number of times I was silenced by these creeps over at DU

There is a board called jackpine radicals dedicated to alleged progressive values, but they are all just closet racists.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:01 am 
Board Emeritus

I posted this on Facebook:

The Republican's healthcare plan will allow states to opt out of insuring those with preexisting conditions. The only ones exempt from this are members of congress (the ones who drafted the bill). The hypocrisy reeks! THEY are entitled. YOU are not!

So, it will be interesting to see if it gets any response.

Internet neutrality is in jeopardy again. With the looters now in charge it won't be long before we can't afford to visit sites like this. It will become part of the package that costs $36 per month.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:26 am 
Board Emeritus

I posted this on Facebook:

The Republican's healthcare plan will allow states to opt out of insuring those with preexisting conditions. The only ones exempt from this are members of congress (the ones who drafted the bill). The hypocrisy reeks! THEY are entitled. YOU are not!

So, it will be interesting to see if it gets any response.

Internet neutrality is in jeopardy again. With the looters now in charge it won't be long before we can't afford to visit sites like this. It will become part of the package that costs $36 per month.

As is ENERGY STAR because you know who's properties score poorly.

Thanks for posting this on FB

a. they will blame democrats, no matter what
b. see what happens when you say things like "she is a flawed candidate" "she is not qualified"? ....filth like this is allowed to get close enough to steal elections

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:54 am 
Board Emeritus

So, I recently joined Facebook. Initially it was to receive a set of colored pencils I won in a giveaway. Yeah, I know. Past friends weren't the motivating factor. :rw)

Anyway, I started getting notifications from former classmates so I accepted their friendship invitation.

That may have been a mistake. People who I wouldn't think about going out for coffee with were filling up my stream with bullshit like

"Real Women Voted for Trump" (showing women holding up signs) *a very small group of women, btw
"Real Women (shown in military fatigues) March for Our Rights (in the army) ..."

The blonde is pretty active on Facebook for the last few years. And particularly since this last election. So she has a friend who was a classmate in elementary school and high school. They had lost track of each other and not had contact for probably 40 years. Both have the same political/cultural bad attitudes.

So we saw this Facebook activity from the friend the other day, where another old classmate says to the friend...

"What's wrong with you...all these hostile political comments day after day? What happened to you???"

And the friend replied...

"I grew up."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

The blonde is pretty active on Facebook for the last few years. And particularly since this last election. So she has a friend who was a classmate in elementary school and high school. They had lost track of each other and not had contact for probably 40 years. Both have the same political/cultural bad attitudes.

So we saw this Facebook activity from the friend the other day, where another old classmate says to the friend...

"What's wrong with you...all these hostile political comments day after day? What happened to you???"

And the friend replied...

"I grew up."

Would that this country would grow up.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

And MOOs and MUDs!

I never got into them.

I must have missed the MOOs and MUDs, that or I ignored them so thoroughly that I've forgotten them.

:D

I remember way back when, there was someone named Carmenjonze, who had a nice little corner staked out in the Usenet newsgroups, who promoted classic movies with loving care.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

I must have missed the MOOs and MUDs, that or I ignored them so thoroughly that I've forgotten them.

I remember way back when, there was someone named Carmenjonze, who had a nice little corner staked out in the Usenet newsgroups, who promoted classic movies with loving care.

Heh must have been somebody else. I went under the name Sophia, then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophia_(wisdom) :)

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:29 am 
Board Emeritus

There hasn't been much activity on that post except frowny faces from people who agree with me politically.

I've also cut back on political posts and focus more on pop culture, colorings, and other things of interest.