Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: A change in life
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:38 pm 
Policy Wonk

My wife has been offered an early retirement package from her job.
Our children have both gone off to College.
Our niece has gone off to College, and our nephew will go next fall.
Our SIL has moved into her own apartment. 13 years of cohabitation has come to an end.
My job, although I am an IT Admin again, is still at apay a scale half what I had been earning. It is much better then Lowes, so I will be thankful to be back in IT but I am not as attached as I had been previously.

My wife and I both took the election results pretty hard. We also are growing tired of Ohio's politics. We have been looking at Nevada as a possible site for relocation. My wife has been approached about a job in Las Vegas with a progressive company (if there is such a thing) and as I said I am not married to my current company.

Anyone from Las Vegas area? Can anyone tell us the political climate?

Post subject: Re: A change in life
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

why did you pick LV over reno....sorry, i reread the wife got job offer in LV. got it.
of the western side of the great basin id say that LV and reno are about the most prog areas
despite and inspite of the load of mormon hoohah.

there is only one nearly prog place in all of AZ....tuscon. the rest of AZ is drowning in
LDS who try to capture as many navajo as they can. dont kid yourself on sedona.
pretty for short visits.

Post subject: Re: A change in lifes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:26 pm 
Policy Wonk

To add to our change, we had to put one of dogs down today. He was only 8, and was 100% ok before lunch yesterday, but he refused to eat his lunch. As the day wore on he went down hill at an incredible rate. It was if he a switch was thrown. By morning he was having problems walking, wouldn't eat, would not go outside. He wet the carpet 3 times, which he has never done in his life, and was cold to the touch. We took him to the vet and they found internal bleeding into his abdomen. They felt it was cancer and that he would have 9 months to live after surgery and would have to endure chemo.

We had to have our son come to the vet to say goodbye. My wife, son, and I sat on the floor as the vet admistered the injections, and in less then a minute he was gone.

He was my friend who was always there, my napping buddy, and the most loving moron I ever had the pleasure to know. I will miss him. The only solace I have is knowing he lived his life 100% full on until yesterday, and his suffering was only a day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

So much for you to try to deal with all at once. Almost twenty years ago I went through the end of a long marriage, the death of my mother, a new job and the loss of my dog, all within about a year. It was as if the whole life I had known had just disappeared and I had no idea what would take its place. I say all this just to let you know that I have great empathy for all you are going through. I wish you the best as you work your way to whatever is next.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm really sorry to hear about your pup man. Damn that's hard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:16 am 
Policy Wonk

Thank you both for your kind words. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sorry for your loss, mcslain.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Our SIL has moved into her own apartment. 13 years of cohabitation has come to an end.
My job, although I am an IT Admin again, is still at apay a scale half what I had been earning. It is much better then Lowes, so I will be thankful to be back in IT but I am not as attached as I had been previously.

My wife and I both took the election results pretty hard. We also are growing tired of Ohio's politics. We have been looking at Nevada as a possible site for relocation. My wife has been approached about a job in Las Vegas with a progressive company (if there is such a thing) and as I said I am not married to my current company.

I Googled the election results of Clark County and it looks like from the November elections it's fairly Democratic.
Clark County

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

So much for you to try to deal with all at once. Almost twenty years ago I went through the end of a long marriage, the death of my mother, a new job and the loss of my dog, all within about a year. It was as if the whole life I had known had just disappeared and I had no idea what would take its place. I say all this just to let you know that I have great empathy for all you are going through. I wish you the best as you work your way to whatever is next.

im going thru this now.

ill be putting my last mustang horse down very soon, day or so. his mare went a year and one month ago
and since theyd been together his entire life i didnt expect he'd live much longer than she.

i feel as tho im losing more than half of everything i knew.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

im going thru this now.

ill be putting my last mustang horse down very soon, day or so. his mare went a year and one month ago
and since theyd been together his entire life i didnt expect he'd live much longer than she.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how much our animals mean to all of us and to you in particular and I think there's a bond between people and their horses that is unlike any other.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how much our animals mean to all of us and to you in particular and I think there's a bond between people and their horses that is unlike any other.

thanks.
i didnt feel this awful when ive lost human family.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

I totally get that. Still, I think it's a gift that we can help them make a peaceful exit. I've seen in their eyes sometimes that they are grateful for that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

I totally get that. Still, I think it's a gift that we can help them make a peaceful exit. I've seen in their eyes sometimes that they are grateful for that.

the lady i share this horse land with said he still looks good, no need to do it today/now.

so, ive been dealing with figuring out when his discomfort level is too much...for him.
its too much for me, but thats diff than for him.
he is still having some normal fun but it wont last long and surely not as heat comes.
day by day.

yah, ive been talking to him every day, ive told him to let me know when its time.
often i just talk to him when i brush him, many days its just fun talk about how great a horse he is.
ive got his medicine bag ready, he has his war paint which has to be redone since the rains
came. he'll lie next his mare, and that ground is ready; i hauled in some better soil to add to
what the blade will push.

their bones will both now rest in a most gorgeous place along the GunnisonRio where i also blended
all the animals ashes of my adult life on mare's grave, and for that burial, that bone location, i am so
truly grateful.
now they all have a beautiful place to be and roam and hunt and.....there are other 4legs buried
on this land. some 2legs also. a herd and a family.

i cant express my gratitude for this piece of land along the river.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's really beautiful.

One of my buddhist teachers once talked to us about putting animals down and he said that we have to be very certain that it's *their* suffering that we wish to end, not *ours*. I've always felt like my animals have let me know when they have had enough.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's really beautiful.

One of my buddhist teachers once talked to us about putting animals down and he said that we have to be very certain that it's *their* suffering that we wish to end, not *ours*. I've always felt like my animals have let me know when they have had enough.

yes, someone today mentioned the 'getting it over' thing...id never decide something this heavy becuz
it is hard for "me". fuckme.

thanks, prajna.
that delicate balance is...an art. an art form.

he hugged me the other day, as his mare did also, and that, told me a lot.
over the years she would hang her long neck over my back and pull me close.
she did that days before she went to sleep.

this mustang hugged me recently. he uses his leg and his head neck. like we're shaking hands.
yo, bro.

Last edited by rainwater on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear about your horses Rain.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

To add to our change, we had to put one of dogs down today. He was only 8, and was 100% ok before lunch yesterday, but he refused to eat his lunch. As the day wore on he went down hill at an incredible rate. It was if he a switch was thrown. By morning he was having problems walking, wouldn't eat, would not go outside. He wet the carpet 3 times, which he has never done in his life, and was cold to the touch. We took him to the vet and they found internal bleeding into his abdomen. They felt it was cancer and that he would have 9 months to live after surgery and would have to endure chemo.

We had to have our son come to the vet to say goodbye. My wife, son, and I sat on the floor as the vet admistered the injections, and in less then a minute he was gone.

He was my friend who was always there, my napping buddy, and the most loving moron I ever had the pleasure to know. I will miss him. The only solace I have is knowing he lived his life 100% full on until yesterday, and his suffering was only a day.

Sorry to hear about this sweet dog, mcslain. These are such difficult days.

I can't speak to the political climate of Las Vegas but, man is it hot there. We had cousins there. Those visits were surreal. They were Jehovah's Witness, and our parents just sat around bickering about Bible verses (or such is my memory). Wish I could be of more help, but it sounds like things are looking up in other areas for you, no?

I'm also an IT expatriate (in the digital space, now.) I left it after many years because 1- I didn't want to go into management and was at that point in my career where you get kind of tracked into it and 2- I just got too old to be crawling around under desks messing with dusty computer hardware.

At some point I simply must start entering my "stately Black woman" phase :) . Lol IT is generally not a fast track to that. Glad you're back in the game, though!

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:58 am 
Policy Wonk

im going thru this now.

O

I am sorry, that is painful.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

im sorry mcslain for not seeing your words while i was in my own suck pit.
how brave of you to hold your dog. sorry for the loss of your BFF.

im torn about more animals at this time. i may want to roam and have some freedom, idk..
after my horse ive one old feral cat left.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

I can tell you this. Go to Vegas rent a car and deal with the constant traffic before make a final decision.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

glen, traffic in any place in this country is just part of being murican nowadays.
im bitching about traffic in speedtrapCO. lol, srsly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sorry for your losses, McSlain and Rainwater. Glen, the traffic issues are mostly when dealing with the strip. People not working on the strip won't have an issue.

The weather is VERY different.

Vegas is a Union town, and yes, it's progressive. The unions have a lot of pull there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

my mustang is still enjoying quality of life. he's in a herd and has a mare to herd and is having fun.
heat will be the culprit.
i see him every day as usual.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

RIP lil mustang.

go find your mare she's out there waiting for you in the forest which is now your untouched home.
she'll be glad to see you.

their bones lie next to one another; only the river will ever change this land.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sad news, rain. I'm glad they can be together again, but I know there's a big horse-shaped hole in the space around you right now. I always feel my animals walking beside me for a time until they truly move on to the next thing. Peace.