Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: A change in life
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:19 am 
Board Emeritus

Thoughts and heart felt sympathy to you Rain. I'm so sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

thanks yall. i feel so sad.

ill have to rework, at least, the mares grave top since im sure the tractor fucked it all up.
but thats...dia de muertos..work, so its good for me.

http://www.nationalgeographic.org/media ... s-muertos/
Dia de los Muertos—the Day of the Dead—is a holiday celebrated on November 1. Although marked throughout Latin America, Dia de los Muertos is most strongly associated with Mexico, where the tradition originated.

Dia de los Muertos honors the dead with festivals and lively celebrations, a typically Latin American custom that combines indigenous Aztec ritual with Catholicism, brought to the region by Spanish conquistadores. (Dia de los Muertos is celebrated on All Saints Day and All Souls Day, minor holidays in the Catholic calendar.)

Assured that the dead would be insulted by mourning or sadness, Dia de los Muertos celebrates the lives of the deceased with food, drink, parties, and activities the dead enjoyed in life. Dia de los Muertos recognizes death as a natural part of the human experience, a continuum with birth, childhood, and growing up to become a contributing member of the community. On Dia de los Muertos, the dead are also a part of the community, awakened from their eternal sleep to share celebrations with their loved ones.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Awwww, sorry Rainwater. We've discussed this, and I know what it's like, and you really do have deepest sympathy.

And your obit gave me goosebumps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

i was surprized, the tractor didnt fuck mares grave up even tho it worked right alongside her pile.
i had to clear dirt off the in place rocks but thats ok.

i moved big rocks and some dirt and made things more orderly around his new spot.
ill keep working on it until its good; grass seed will go down now for the hopeful spring rains.
i put some down last summer and with barely any rain seed still sprouted, this year will be
better and more seed will go in the fresh river soil to help hold it in place.

this spot along the river...very interesting place. ive found so many stone age tools it blows
my mind, and now both horses have stone age tools set in place all around their bones pile.
this stretch along the river...these tools are about 4-5ft down below millennia of river bottom
that washed up along the land. when they moved the dirt to put the dirt lanes in they uncovered
and disturbed 10,000years or more of stone age tool making. humans, uprights, walked and
lived along this area of river off and on for-ever.

when the whatever-age left, and left it alone for millennia, the next group to come thru
1000's of years later could see it was a good place to camp to live to work.
i think it was a 'factory'...there are so many of the same things, tools, made, many have the same
particular marking on them.

anyhow i knew tools were on this land but when they dug to cover my mare...whooaa....
they went down 4-5ft dug up all those tools too.

so all in all its a--at least for me---a pretty impressive but simple place for my horses rest.
or not...since im sure they are moving around that forest and grazing with the rest of them.

i find comfort in working on the graves.
i didnt cry as much today..something about the two of them being together...he missed his mare.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how much our animals mean to all of us and to you in particular and I think there's a bond between people and their horses that is unlike any other.

thanks for your kind words.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:18 am 
Policy Wonk

The next phase of the change has been completed. My wife accepted a job in Bradenton Florida. She passed on Las Vegas, Houston, Dayton/Manila and chose Bradenton. Both of our children are in Savannah so we will be slightly closer to them.

I know it is hot, our Golden Retriever is not looking forward to it. She already prefers inside in Ohio, I suspect she will be even more of an indoor dog.

I know a few of you are in Florida, I hope you don't mind getting a new neighbor. My wife is already there, I will follow once our current home sells. Spent a weekend at the apartment and like the area. We will rent for a year to determine or best path for purchasing.

Thanks to all who gave advice on our possible move out west. Looks like we will,get to test drive Florida instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:46 am 
Board Emeritus

I know a few of you are in Florida, I hope you don't mind getting a new neighbor.

You're only about 242 miles away. But feel free to stop and ask for sugar. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

The next phase of the change has been completed. My wife accepted a job in Bradenton Florida. She passed on Las Vegas, Houston, Dayton/Manila and chose Bradenton. Both of our children are in Savannah so we will be slightly closer to them.

I know it is hot, our Golden Retriever is not looking forward to it. She already prefers inside in Ohio, I suspect she will be even more of an indoor dog.

I know a few of you are in Florida, I hope you don't mind getting a new neighbor. My wife is already there, I will follow once our current home sells. Spent a weekend at the apartment and like the area. We will rent for a year to determine or best path for purchasing.

Thanks to all who gave advice on our possible move out west. Looks like we will,get to test drive Florida instead.

Sounds like Florida was the right choice. The Weather Channel shows they have 90+ temperatures during the summer but the other seasons are mild.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:11 pm 
Policy Wonk

Fla. ? Without trying to be over generalizing, Fla is mostly conservative. If you are looking for a progressive society, may you have the best of luck.

May I make an observation. This thread began as something of a new beginning in life, and then went to the dark side of life, namely death.

Quite recently, I had such a downer to go through, a most tragic event of losing a loved one. Some things are irreplaceable. Can't be expressed in words the pain. I know others here too have suffered the same.

One POINT, I want to make is life is meant to be shared. People should not live in isolation. It is a tragic mistake.

Music bridges the gap of words and the Grateful Dead has always reminded me of life and death. Their music has many times helped me move a step along the path of life, filling the void with meaning.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Fla. ? Without trying to be over generalizing, Fla is mostly conservative. If you are looking for a progressive society, may you have the best of luck.

Ehhh, it's a purple swing state.

I stick to the blue parts. :D

Even when I left the blue part in the SE (stayed blue in 2016), the other part I lived in was Alachua County (an island of blue in the sea of red up north - did I mention it was a university town?) :D

Heck, I can remember when Florida had Democratic governors, like Lawton Chiles. I used to work for one when he was in the Senate, Bob Graham.

I don't want to overgeneralize, but if a virus targeted older Cuban Americans, that 16% would drop sharply. ;)

Nate sez:

The Miami/Ft. Lauderdale media market also includes a significant number of Jewish voters. Statewide, Florida has nearly 640,000 Jewish residents according to the North American Jewish Data Bank, more than any other state except New York and California, and there are large Jewish communities in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties.

This population skews Democratic, but the Republican campaigns have been courting Jewish voters.

[snip][end]

I like to think we help keep the state bluish-purple. ;)

Oh and one more thing: I believe Bradenton County is very much in the central (though it runs diagonal) swing zone of Florida.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:44 pm 
Policy Wonk

May I make an observation. This thread began as something of a new beginning in life, and then went to the dark side of life, namely death.

Quite recently, I had such a downer to go through, a most tragic event of losing a loved one. Some things are irreplaceable. Can't be expressed in words the pain. I know others here too have suffered the same.

One POINT, I want to make is life is meant to be shared. People should not live in isolation. It is a tragic mistake.

Music bridges the gap of words and the Grateful Dead has always reminded me of life and death. Their music has many times helped me move a step along the path of life, filling the void with meaning.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I look forward to selling our house so I can join my wife and continue this adventure together.

It is not a progressive heaven but I think our votes can help.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:10 am 
Policy Wonk

Sorry to hear about your loss. I look forward to selling our house so I can join my wife and continue this adventure together.

That is a good point. You have positive attitude that will help. The South is full of good people. I have friends and relatives down there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:35 am 
Policy Wonk

Rainwater, I wish you peace. And thanks for sharing your grief. You can speak so much more eloquently than I. I have no doubt your horses loved you back the same.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

for you McSlain.

The Forgotten Coast: Return to Wild Florida
http://www.pbs.org/video/2365987527/
Aired: 04/21/17 Expires: 08/31/17

Following in the footsteps of a wandering Florida black bear, three friends leave civilization and enter a lost American wilderness on a rugged thousand-mile journey by foot, paddle and bike. Traversing Florida's vast and seldom seen "Forgotten Coast," the expedition encounters stunning and rare wildlife including black bears, manatees, alligators and ancient river fish.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:34 pm 
Policy Wonk

for you McSlain.

The Forgotten Coast: Return to Wild Florida
http://www.pbs.org/video/2365987527/
Aired: 04/21/17 Expires: 08/31/17

Following in the footsteps of a wandering Florida black bear, three friends leave civilization and enter a lost American wilderness on a rugged thousand-mile journey by foot, paddle and bike. Traversing Florida's vast and seldom seen "Forgotten Coast," the expedition encounters stunning and rare wildlife including black bears, manatees, alligators and ancient river fish.

What a gift, thank you. I have only watched the trailers and clips but already know I will not only be watching it but will do a lot if possible. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: A change in lifes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

im sorry mcslain for not seeing your words while i was in my own suck pit.
how brave of you to hold your dog. sorry for the loss of your BFF.

im torn about more animals at this time. i may want to roam and have some freedom, idk..
after my horse ive one old feral cat left.

We are down to one horse as we gave away the Paint. The gelding we have left is an Arab somewhere north of 20. 2 of our 5 dogs are about 2 years beyond their breeds life expenctancy which says something about the care my wife gives them.

On a positive? note we have a new edition as somebody dumped a rooster in our field recently and he is now residing in the dog pen our one Border Collie is to old to use.