RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have been in group counseling environments where we would have morning "check-in", a few minutes where you tell your group how you are feeling, what happened in the last 24 hours that you need to discuss.

It is a healthy process for sure, we could use it these days.

The main lesson from any 12 step group, by the way, is secrets are what kill us, and this is absolutely true.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm just relieved that the power stayed on. This is one of the few places around here where it did. I was dreading the typical failure, where a feeder from south of here trips off due to damage anywhere in a huge radius, and the other side of the street (fed from the west) still has power. You sit in the dark while the people across the street watch TV and open their refrigerators as always.

Everything south went out again, only worse, but this time our circuit stayed on, except for one brief dropout/surge that made me decide it was a good day to turn off electronics.

As I said somewhere else, L.A. doesn't handle rain well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

After 2 3/4 inches of rain the sun came out this morning. I got out and exercised until the rains began anew.

I'm feeling good about it, bp 118 over 74.

Amazon Prime has the Raiders movies including the original raiders of the lost ark. I've earned a matinee movie. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's a hard life, being a spokesman for modern liberalism. Or would that be nascent progressivism? Actually, I like to think of it as concurrent antifascism. Or pluripotent post-colonialism.

Anyway, I know I have to represent, and I'm being judged as wanting.

Yeah, Cheeto Jeebus is taking us on a train straight to hell, so ...

That's about how I feel.

Stop wasting my time with your fucking nonsense. Tell it to somebody else who gives a shit about what you think.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

After 2 3/4 inches of rain the sun came out this morning. I got out and exercised until the rains began anew.

I'm feeling good about it, bp 118 over 74.

Amazon Prime has the Raiders movies including the original raiders of the lost ark. I've earned a matinee movie. :D

Glad you are watching the BP and doing things that will help keep it in a more healthy range.

As for feelings ("nothing more than feeeeeeeelings") about all this rain, I'd say "soggy" is an apt description.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Feeling fine, I'm enjoying my new track in life, and glad to be in the thick of things. Had some wins, and a loss, but the fight will never end. I'm enjoying the downtime of my three-day weekend. Well, mostly downtime. Never unplugged any more. The volume of email I deal with is insane.

Didja guys hear about the big win in New Hampshire? The state House voted down Right-to-Work. An overwhelmingly Republican state House voted right to work down overwhelmingly!

That'll put a spring in your step!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Feeling fine, I'm enjoying my new track in life, and glad to be in the thick of things. Had some wins, and a loss, but the fight will never end. I'm enjoying the downtime of my three-day weekend. Well, mostly downtime. Never unplugged any more. The volume of email I deal with is insane.

Didja guys hear about the big win in New Hampshire? The state House voted down Right-to-Work. An overwhelmingly Republican state House voted right to work down overwhelmingly!

That'll put a spring in your step!

In case you missed it:

"Oh Daughter, dear Daughter,
Take warning from me
And don't you go marching
With the N-A-A-C-P."

I'll give you two guesses as to who originally posted that song a few days ago.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

In case you missed it:

"Oh Daughter, dear Daughter,
Take warning from me
And don't you go marching
With the N-A-A-C-P."

I'll give you two guesses as to who originally posted that song a few days ago.

No idea.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

No idea.

So, you don't know who occasionally posts Nina Simone videos?

LOL.

Glad to hear that you are doing well and are fully engaged with your work.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

I've had an asshole, that I thought I liked, trolling me and dissing me all day.
Other than that, I played catch with my kids and busted balls to get lab reports (and homework sets for tomorrow) graded.
It WILL be different tomorrow.

-P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've had an asshole, that I thought I liked, trolling me and dissing me all day.
Other than that, I played catch with my kids and busted balls to get lab reports (and homework sets for tomorrow) graded.
It WILL be different tomorrow.

-P

LOL.

I wasn't trolling you. Everything I said was from the heart. And, really, if anybody was being trolled, it was you doing it to me, and choosing to not hear much of anything I said.

That is so totally cool that you got to spend time playing catch with your kids. Hope the grading and coursework preparation are coming along well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:37 am 
Board Emeritus

WOW! Just WOW! 2 of my favorite Eric Carmen songs are now triggers. I can't listen to them anymore. This is new. All By Myself and Never Gonna Fall in Love Again. Either one starts to play and I have to hit skip fast. Otherwise........ not good. I instantly get the 'burn' in the sinuses and tightness in the chest. Haven't had a problem with any other of my music so far.

My apartment is a mess. I've just not been up to cleaning it. Hard to do when you don't even care if you've not had a shower in days.

Don't ever get depression. And no, the 'blues' are not depression.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm fine. Everything's irritating as hell, but I chose to live in the city, so I will lie in the bed I made. Weather is back to light rain, which we need, and not wind storms, which we don't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm fine. Everything's irritating as hell, but I chose to live in the city, so I will lie in the bed I made. Weather is back to light rain, which we need, and not wind storms, which we don't.

Still raining here, little 30' wide creek behind the house is still running fast and muddy and 300' feet across and 16' deep (Google Lake Berryessea Glory Hole and you'll see what's feeding it just about 10 miles upstream) - winds with gusts up to 60MPH predicted again for tonight and I expect the rest of the fence on the south side of the property to come down, making a 92' run of fence to replace. *sigh* I have never seen so many windstorms and of such strength in all of my life here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Still raining here, little 30' wide creek behind the house is still running fast and muddy and 300' feet across and 16' deep (Google Lake Berryessea Glory Hole and you'll see what's feeding it just about 10 miles upstream) - winds with gusts up to 60MPH predicted again for tonight and I expect the rest of the fence on the south side of the property to come down, making a 92' run of fence to replace. *sigh* I have never seen so many windstorms and of such strength in all of my life here.

California sure knows how to end a drought! Please, stay safe. I've got a lot of friends in harm's way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

California sure knows how to end a drought! Please, stay safe. I've got a lot of friends in harm's way.

Shit, send boats!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's VERY dramatic but, other than the wind, I don't think we're in any real danger right here. Most of the town sits 50' above the creek bed. It used to flood here often (there are old-time photos of folks standing in what is now my back yard with the water lapping at their feet, but since the dam was built at Lake Berryessa it is all manageable for most of us.)

That said, much of the state is a soupy mess and there is little relief in sight. Oroville Dam isn't all that far from here and if the worst were to happen there the flood waters would come within about 20 miles of us and would do unspeakable damage.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Day off...raining, hate rain, hate cold.

Alive though, so there is that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

People need to learn that all the troubles and problems you think you have are nothing more than "One of lifes little problems". No matter how bad you think you have it there are many more way worse off. As for your troubles, 100's of 1,000's have had the same problem if not worse before you. 100's if not 1,000's will have the same problem after you. So the best thing you can do is deal with it head on, then move to the next little problem life throws your way.

This is a good thread Libertas thanks for thinking of it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

The rain can be a pain in the ass when all the trees weakened by the drought start falling on stuff, but otherwise it's going to make this place a lot nicer. I'm sure whatever embers the fires left smoldering in the ground are now extinguished, saving the fire department the work come spring. Our wretched back yard has something or other growing on it instead of dirt. Come September, we'll appreciate the full reservoirs. I've learned to read my rain gauge without going outside. Silver linings, and all that.

Back to political activism.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just paid my taxes.

More in one year than fuckface has paid in 20, if he is to be believed that is.

I could have waited till the last minute, made some off the interest, but I am the type who has to pay it now and push it off the "worry" shelf to make room for something else.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

The rain can be a pain in the ass when all the trees weakened by the drought start falling on stuff, but otherwise it's going to make this place a lot nicer. I'm sure whatever embers the fires left smoldering in the ground are now extinguished, saving the fire department the work come spring. Our wretched back yard has something or other growing on it instead of dirt. Come September, we'll appreciate the full reservoirs. I've learned to read my rain gauge without going outside. Silver linings, and all that.

Back to political activism.

My rain gage sends a wireless signal into the house where it records the events.

Rainfall yesterday 2.95 inches.
Today 1.06 inches.
Rainfall total since the beginning of the year 47.92 inches.

The Oroville Dam has had less rain, since the beginning of the year it has only had 39.32 inches.

This evening we're going to go to Tom McClintock's town hall and give him hell. I got a call from one of my unions, they're going to be there too. If I arrive early and find them before it starts they'll give us green tee shirts with the union logo on them to wear. So McClintock will know who he's messing with. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Feeling Groovy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:36 am 
Board Emeritus

major meltdown sunday night. wrote a five page letter to my therapist. they were closed moneay so i delivered yesterday. it was extremely dark. far darker than anything i've ever posted/let on here. then got on the wrong bus. i wanted to go to a used record store and see about used cds. i got on the mape/ash bus. idiot. i needed the monroe bus. i had to ride the maple bus to end of line. 20 or so miles out and that many back. so much for cds. then i was pissed. get home and there's a message from the therapist (it was after 5), she could see me this morning. no can do i have an appointment today. i get up this morning. reach for my glasses. they are not there. great. guess i knocked them on the floor. nope, not on the floor. i start looking. nowhere to be found. must've had a seizure and i don't have a fucking clue what i did. i could've threw them out in the parking lot for all i know. so now i'm blind. page is at 300% magnification and i still have to be about 8 inches for it to look clear. and if i crawl on the wrong bus because i can't read the bus number, the meltdown won't be major. they won't haul my ass to the local psych ward. it will be the state hospital or the coroner's office. forget waiting for the lionn's club. i get to go spend money that i don't have to buy new glasses. and yes, i have been looking. i turned the garbage can in the kitchen upside down and spread it out all over the floor. same or the one next to my computer. did the same with the laundry hamper. my apartment is shredded and will take me a month to put back together. forget watching tv. all i see is moving colors. from 2 feet i can't distinguish a face. so, what the fuck else can go wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:47 am 
Board Emeritus

I'm sorry to read what you are going through, Izzzatso. I hope you are able to find a good pair of reading glasses. I too am virtually blind without mine.