RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:55 am 

You from Ohio? I am from one of the best places in the world. Mogadore Ohio.

http://www.mogadorevillage.org/

http://www.mogadorefootball.com/

outside of Akron, huh? so you were prithy(sp) to LeBron before the rest of us humans? :mrgreen:

born and raised in Lincoln Heights, OH, about 15 minutes north of downtown Cincy....

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.
LYNDON B. JOHNSON, 1960

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:43 am 
Board Emeritus

I'm feeling restless. It's a multitude of things. Freezing temps, icy road conditions, blustery winds (not just here in the deep south of the far north but in Washington DC), and deciding if I want to get out of the house or not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

outside of Akron, huh? so you were prithy(sp) to LeBron before the rest of us humans? :mrgreen:

born and raised in Lincoln Heights, OH, about 15 minutes north of downtown Cincy....

That's not Ohio that is Northern KY :] However I will admit to being a Bengals Fan since 1968.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Praying to St Anthony focuses your mind and causes you to remember where you put the item. It is a mindtrick.

Wouldn't it be better just to retrace from the time just before you lost something and then compare it to what you did afterward? If that doesn't work, stop thinking about it, occupy yourself with something else and let your subconscious figure it out.

Prayers are worthless.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

I should clarify that my reference to "gloom and doom" was not in any reaction to Izzy's health or Libertas' son. Those are real situations.

I was referring to the general wailing and hand wringing about climate, nuclear war, and human extinction. Not conducive to mental health. It tends to make people stop caring about anything and just wait to die. We're not wired for that.

Since then, it seems to have gotten a little better here. I'll take the small victories.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:23 am 
Board Emeritus

I should clarify that my reference to "gloom and doom" was not in any reaction to Izzy's health or Libertas' son. Those are real situations.

I was referring to the general wailing and hand wringing about climate, nuclear war, and human extinction. Not conducive to mental health. It tends to make people stop caring about anything and just wait to die. We're not wired for that.

Since then, it seems to have gotten a little better here. I'll take the small victories.

I'm a pessimist by nature so I tend to think the worst. This is why some of my posts are very dystopian in nature.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yes but you're also far left, so you're my kind of pessimist.

Where I am today is that money says do the writing and send it to the editor, while lefty says get on twitter and share dirt about Russiagate.

I think money's winning... for now...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Effin companies. Today I gave my current employer a one day notice I was leaving and they got mad. As if they would give me a two week notice if they were getting rid of me. Not only that but in trucking when you give a notice they tell you it isn't necessary as they are afraid you are going to mess up their equipment in those last days.

In fact the one time I was fired not only didn't that company give me a notice. They had me drive the truck to a terminal 700 miles from my home. Then offered me a bus ticket. All the while my home terminal was 50 miles from my house. Anyone that has one ounce of loyalty to any employer is just plain naïve if not stupid.

No company gives two shits about you and like wise you shouldn't give two shits about them. As for me I start my new job Monday and start looking for my next job Tuesday.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Effin companies. Today I gave my current employer a one day notice I was leaving and they got mad. As if they would give me a two week notice if they were getting rid of me. Not only that but in trucking when you give a notice they tell you it isn't necessary as they are afraid you are going to mess up their equipment in those last days.

In fact the one time I was fired not only didn't that company give me a notice. They had me drive the truck to a terminal 700 miles from my home. Then offered me a bus ticket. All the while my home terminal was 50 miles from my house. Anyone that has one ounce of loyalty to any employer is just plain naïve if not stupid.

No company gives two shits about you and like wise you shouldn't give two shits about them. As for me I start my new job Monday and start looking for my next job Tuesday.

I hope this "epiphany" isn't new but the fact that companies demand loyalty from their workers without giving loyalty in return isn't new. I've told people for decades the reason I joined the AF wasn't because was patriotic but I didn't trust a company to provide me with a retirement or healthcare after I retired and I have been proven right.

As for your last sentence where you start your new job on Monday and start looking for your next job Tuesday if I were a prospective employer and knew of your attitude you wouldn't have made it through the my door.

BTW, if you keep quitting trucking companies you'll find you've burned too many bridges. Hopefully, you left on a good note with this company.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

I hope this "epiphany" isn't new but the fact that companies demand loyalty from their workers without giving loyalty in return isn't new. I've told people for decades the reason I joined the AF wasn't because was patriotic but I didn't trust a company to provide me with a retirement or healthcare after I retired and I have been proven right.

As for your last sentence where you start your new job on Monday and start looking for your next job Tuesday if I were a prospective employer and knew of your attitude you wouldn't have made it through the my door.

BTW, if you keep quitting trucking companies you'll find you've burned too many bridges. Hopefully, you left on a good note with this company.

The place I am going is a place Ive worked at 3 other times. The good thing about trucking is most places need drivers and if you do a good job they will beg you to come back. Even the place I quit today in a month or two after they get over their tantrum will want me back.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

I worked for a company once which had a supervisor who would figure out what would mess the quitting worker the most with regard to notice. If he thought a worker would be expected to start immediately at his new job, he would twist and grind that worker into fulfilling his two week obligation to the fullest. However if a worker needed the two weeks of employment he'd refuse to give that worker an additional day. And he would pull stunts like stripping their truck out from under them when they were far from home.

When I quit I wasn't going to a new job right away, I had put in five years of 60 to 70 hours a weekend working without a decent break, and was planning to take six months easy and catch up on sailing. I would have never satisfied him except by staying forever, I finally drew a line about three and a half weeks after I had given notice and stomped on out of there. It was like that job was flypaper.

I've quit several jobs during my life to get in a good fulfilling vacation. If every company I worked for hadn't had work until you drop, never more than a week off at most at any given time policies I wouldn't have quit. Sometimes I want three months off. Because I like to occasionally do things like sail across an ocean.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:04 am 
Board Emeritus

I worked for a company once which had a supervisor who would figure out what would mess the quitting worker the most with regard to notice. If he thought a worker would be expected to start immediately at his new job, he would twist and grind that worker into fulfilling his two week obligation to the fullest. However if a worker needed the two weeks of employment he'd refuse to give that worker an additional day. And he would pull stunts like stripping their truck out from under them when they were far from home.

When I quit I wasn't going to a new job right away, I had put in five years of 60 to 70 hours a weekend working without a decent break, and was planning to take six months easy and catch up on sailing. I would have never satisfied him except by staying forever, I finally drew a line about three and a half weeks after I had given notice and stomped on out of there. It was like that job was flypaper.

I've quit several jobs during my life to get in a good fulfilling vacation. If every company I worked for hadn't had work until you drop, never more than a week off at most at any given time policies I wouldn't have quit. Sometimes I want three months off. Because I like to occasionally do things like sail across an ocean.

I used to be able to say that while I am working for an outfit nobody out works me. Now that I am getting older that isn't always true. At my last stop there was one guy who consistently bettered my output. Even then I still wound up on the top of the production list at least twice a year.

But, my philosophy is I owe no loyalty to anyone except myself. The reason I work harder than anyone else isnt for them it is for me. They make plenty of profit on my labor while I am there and I make sure that I get paid a decent and fair rate of pay. When a better opportunity comes along they owe me nothing and I owe them nothing.

I just remembered another time when I put together a dedicated run for a place I had my rig leased to. I ran it for 5 years strait never missing a load or taking time off without giving them a 30 day notice. Then one day they found a company who would run it cheaper and took the run away from me. No notice, no warnings I didn't like it but at the end of the day it was business.

The way I see it everything is suppose to be a two way street. If it is just business when a company changes your situation then turnabout is fair play.

Any person who has any loyalty towards a company is a fool. The only loyalty you should have is to yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well Glen, this would be a subject for beers and broad agreement. Sometimes I wish I could still go out to neighborhood taverns and drink beers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:34 pm 
Policy Wonk

Sometimes I wish I could still go out to neighborhood taverns and drink beers.

What's stopping you, Sam?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:45 pm 
Policy Wonk

On topic...tired.

Came down with the flu more than three weeks ago (confirmed case) and it seems to have lingered for an unusually long time.

Just getting back in the gym after those weeks off. Feels like I lost months of progress. I could kick myself for not getting a flu shot this year.. :frustrated:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:02 am 
Board Emeritus

What's stopping you, Sam?

Age, more than two beers and I feel like crap both during the rest of the evening and the whole following day.

There are no neighborhood after work taverns to go to within a hundred miles. The closest restaurant which serves drinks is 25 miles away.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:39 am 
Policy Wonk

Age, more than two beers and I feel like crap both during the rest of the evening and the whole following day.

There are no neighborhood after work taverns to go to within a hundred miles. The closest restaurant which serves drinks is 25 miles away.

...that's a long way to drive for a beer, especially if you feel like crap after drinking a few.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:11 am 
Board Emeritus

There are roughly 300,000,000 Americans. About 65 million of them voted for Trump and gave us this current so-called government. 235,000,000 Americans didn't vote for it. Only the former should be given this POS healthcare bill the republicans are trying to pass out of their anuses.

That is my feeling today.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:20 am 
Board Emeritus

There are roughly 300,000,000 Americans. About 65 million of them voted for Trump and gave us this current so-called government. 235,000,000 Americans didn't vote for it. Only the former should be given this POS healthcare bill the republicans are trying to pass out of their anuses.

That is my feeling today.

I find oatmeal with raisins followed by a walk is good for mornings like that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

No, 17,000 people in a few key counties the ridiculous Democratic Party didn't have time for gave us our current "government." Population is very unevenly distributed in the USA, and actually if you just count the vote of "we, the people," drumpf got his butt kicked 3 megavotes worth. But that's not how we count the votes here.

But you know that.

I'm semiconscious from THIS FRACKING TIME CHANGE. I can't get my brain out of neutral until the clock says it's 9:30 AM Pacific Invented Time. The clock, of course, is wrong, and will be for quite some time until the sun catches up.

You don't want my standard 5000 word lecture on timekeeping, and the utter silliness of half of what we do regarding it, so I'll drop that one right now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

I used to be able to say that while I am working for an outfit nobody out works me. Now that I am getting older that isn't always true. At my last stop there was one guy who consistently bettered my output. Even then I still wound up on the top of the production list at least twice a year.

But, my philosophy is I owe no loyalty to anyone except myself. The reason I work harder than anyone else isnt for them it is for me. They make plenty of profit on my labor while I am there and I make sure that I get paid a decent and fair rate of pay. When a better opportunity comes along they owe me nothing and I owe them nothing.

I just remembered another time when I put together a dedicated run for a place I had my rig leased to. I ran it for 5 years strait never missing a load or taking time off without giving them a 30 day notice. Then one day they found a company who would run it cheaper and took the run away from me. No notice, no warnings I didn't like it but at the end of the day it was business.
Geeze, glen, pretty soon they'll accuse you of being a liberal... Didn't you know that corporations are your benevolent dictators, and you should just trust in them?

At least that's what the Republican Party says.

They will pin you as a lefty shill if they find out...
The way I see it everything is suppose to be a two way street. If it is just business when a company changes your situation then turnabout is fair play.

Any person who has any loyalty towards a company is a fool. The only loyalty you should have is to yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

I haven't left just been busy. Quit my job, reopened my trucking company, bought an International, leased it to a major carrier, had to get rid of my reliable flip phone for a smart phone, trying to learn how to use it, how to dispatch myself using the internet, trying to learn the ins and outs of the company I am leased to rules and regulations, am tired as crap at the end of the day.

So I will only be lurking here for a bit until I become more comfortable with my new situation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

You sound busy, but it's good busy. Best of luck.

I've been pretty much consumed with the Russiagate thing. Trying to put together a good timeline while allowing for the daily revelations. Trying to maintain a historian's sense of objectivity. (This is why academically credible history is written after everyone's dead.)

I'm close to having it nailed down. Speaking as objectively as possible, I must still note that the current administration is not shown in a good light. Far from it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:18 pm 

been invited on a 'weed tour' in August...any suggestions on dispensaries to visit? I'm more interested in investment opportunities.... :D

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.
LYNDON B. JOHNSON, 1960

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

been invited on a 'weed tour' in August...any suggestions on dispensaries to visit? I'm more interested in investment opportunities.... :D

I have two friends who went on a weed tour in Denver. Wherever yours is you have to make sure the place you stay is smoker friendly. In Denver 100% of hotels are smoke free so you have to rent a condo. Which is very easy because people are renting them just for smokers. Also no more expensive than a hotel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next