RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

What are your plans for the 4th of July?

Me, I'll be joining our local Democratic Club in our city's 4th of July Parade. This is a very republican city, although in the Presidential election Clinton only lost by 2.5% points, and you can hear comments from the spectators saying they're surprised there were so many Democrats in the city. I'll be riding my simple but appropriately decorated bicycle in the parade. In the afternoon, I'll take my usual 5-7 mile (brisk) walk which will include both the beach and the bay. Later, in the evening, I'll probably walk down to San Diego Bay and watch the fireworks.

I don't plan on doing any BBQing, mainly because I don't own a BBQ, and I like to keep my cooking as simple as possible. I will, however, be having fresh corn-on-the-cob.

For the weekend, I'll be doing a couple of 25-mile bicycle rides, walking, and reading a couple of books I checked out from the library.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am trying like the Dickens to get home. I ve had 6 loads cancel or have to be reassigned this week. But, I will get home. My oldest grandson is almost 3. Finally getting to the age where we can have some fun. Planning on going to Winthrop U sitting in the park on a blanket playing some ball and watching the fireworks with him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not sure, probably working, but I've got Dodger Dogs in the freezer that need grilling!

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Usual fireworks type activities. I must say... Guy Fawkes is on a much more sensible date. We celebrate a holiday with fireworks that coincides with the latest sunset of the year in a lot of the US. (Not on the solstice... earth's orbit would never be that simple.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Mourning the death of America.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:42 pm 
Policy Wonk

For anyone in the St. Louis area there is a commemoration this 4th of July weekend called "The Art of Remembrance and Healing" in East St. Louis, Illinois as its been 100 years since The 1917 Race Riots in East St. Louis, IL

http://www.estl1917ccci.org/

Quote:
The 1917 Race Riots in East St. Louis, IL have been recorded as one of the most horrific and violent series of events in the history of the United States of America. Its impact on the city of East St. Louis, IL, the greater St. Louis, Missouri region, and the social, political, and cultural trajectory of this nation was monumental. The 1917 Race Riots in East St. Louis and the subsequent calls to action across the United States exposed many injustices suffered by African Americans and ultimately ignited a spirit of resilience and perseverance that has produced countless notable Americans who have been shaped by the City that Survives - East St. Louis, IL.

In October 2014, the East St. Louis 1917 Centennial Commission and Cultural Initiative, comprised of scholars, artists, educators, and religious, community, and business leaders, was formally established by the East St. Louis Mayor and City Council. As a not-for-profit organization, we have assembled to capture, record, and prepare relevant history for an engaging, educational, and appropriate 21st Century Commemoration in 2017.

some original video footage of the aftermath here
http://www.estl1917ccci.org/collection.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:45 pm 

Hopefully nothing.

Possibly shingling my house. Because hail. We ripped shingles off tonight. We should be done putting on new shingles before the 4th if all goes well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:03 pm 
Policy Wonk

I'm going to work most of the day on the 4th and use the holiday hours later in the week.

Otherwise I'm boycotting the holiday until such time that Trumplethinskin is out of office. And people not liking that can go perform a sexual act upon themselves.

"Liberalism demonstrated at its very finest."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:17 pm 

Almost done with the shingle job. We started tearing them off Friday evening. Finished that job Saturday afternoon and it's been too hot to shingle by noon or earlier every day since then. What's left won't take too long if the weather cooperates.