RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:04 pm 
Policy Wonk

In a little over a week I'm having surgery.

It will hopefully help me with shedding this full set of tires attached to my frame.

"Liberalism demonstrated at its very finest."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:34 pm 

In a little over a week I'm having surgery.

It will hopefully help me with shedding this full set of tires attached to my frame.

Whatever you're having done I'm hopeful it was thoroughly discussed, researched and produces the results you're hoping for. I wish you well and may your recovery be swift and easy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:27 am 
Board Emeritus

Whatever you're having done I'm hopeful it was thoroughly discussed, researched and produces the results you're hoping for. I wish you well and may your recovery be swift and easy.

+1

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:31 am 
Board Emeritus

+1

Yeah, I know, but it came from Ted.

How the heck was I supposed to give Ted a +1?

(And, no doubt, Ted laughs his mother fucking ass off at such asinine comments as I'm wont to make.)

47of74, what about follow-through procedures? Any diet and/or exercise regiments you are supposed to follow?

And, should I ask how the first year of law school went?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:25 am 
Policy Wonk

Yeah, I know, but it came from Ted.

How the heck was I supposed to give Ted a +1?

(And, no doubt, Ted laughs his mother fucking ass off at such asinine comments as I'm wont to make.)

47of74, what about follow-through procedures? Any diet and/or exercise regiments you are supposed to follow?

And, should I ask how the first year of law school went?

I'll be on a liquid diet for a couple weeks, then slowly start to reintroduce solid food back in to the diet. At first there's some weight restrictions so they say the main thing is to be up and walking, and look at more through exercise later on.

The first year of school went fine. For the most part I'm happy with the grades I got in school. My writing/representation class (lawyering) was a bit lower than I wanted but I passed it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:46 am 
Board Emeritus

I'm going through the preliminary process for gastric bypass myself. But I'm having it done for other health issues.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14312

The bypass is to curb acid reflux. I've lost 46 pounds since my diagnosis so now I'm at the point where if I lost much more, that would be a problem.

The liquid diet is to shrink the liver for easier access to the surgery point. They havent' asked me to do that yet. I'm seeing a counselor this month and a nutritional one in August. Plus they want all these other tests such as occult blood and other labs.

My biggest reservation is that fact that they close off the stomach, making it impossible to scope for any pathology. I've been on proton pump inhibitors for 20 years.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:51 pm 
Policy Wonk

I'm going through the preliminary process for gastric bypass myself. But I'm having it done for other health issues.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14312

The bypass is to curb acid reflux. I've lost 46 pounds since my diagnosis so now I'm at the point where if I lost much more, that would be a problem.

The liquid diet is to shrink the liver for easier access to the surgery point. They havent' asked me to do that yet. I'm seeing a counselor this month and a nutritional one in August. Plus they want all these other tests such as occult blood and other labs.

My biggest reservation is that fact that they close off the stomach, making it impossible to scope for any pathology. I've been on proton pump inhibitors for 20 years.

I'm on the pre-op diet now to help shrink the liver. I have to see a physical therapist on Thursday, I've already seen the dietician and the pharmacist, and had my final meeting with the surgeon.

I have a friend who had the bypass because she had a lot of problems with acid reflux, in addition to the weight loss the bypass eliminated the acid reflux.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:28 am 
Board Emeritus

That's good to hear. The doctor said at orientation that it has a 94% success rate for that. And it cure diabetes!

Good luck to you!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:52 pm 
Policy Wonk

That's good to hear. The doctor said at orientation that it has a 94% success rate for that. And it cure diabetes!

Good luck to you!

Yep, in many cases it resolves diabetes.

I'm going the sleeve route myself. My doctor said that's the most common type of operation now, and they can revise it later to a bypass down the road if needed. They gave me a choice and I selected sleeve because they're just taking part of the stomach and not messing with the intestines. If all goes well my doctor thinks I shed a full set of tires plus the spare in a year, and another three tires on top of that by two years out.

I'm scoping out all the band collar shirts and other things so that once the weight comes off I can assemble my Bond villain look.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:34 am 
Board Emeritus

Good luck Buddy hope it goes well and you get your desired results.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:10 am 
Board Emeritus

That's a good choice. Unfortunately, it won't work for me. That's how bad my condition is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:54 pm 
Policy Wonk

That's a good choice. Unfortunately, it won't work for me. That's how bad my condition is.

One of my friends who had the surgery didn't have a choice either, they would only give her the bypass. Mainly because her acid reflux was so bad that it was damaging her esophagus and vocal cords.

As long as they don't wind up doing a vertical sleeve vasectomy I'm good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:05 am 
Policy Wonk

Surgery went well back on the 10th. I didn't even have to use the strong stuff the doctor prescribed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:42 am 
Board Emeritus

Surgery went well back on the 10th. I didn't even have to use the strong stuff the doctor prescribed.

That's great! Hope the rest of the recovery goes just as well!

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:17 pm 
Policy Wonk

That's great! Hope the rest of the recovery goes just as well!

Thank you! I'm waiting for these steri-strips to work their way loose.

I was so glad to have this this year. I would have had to had gone back on work insurance next year which doesn't cover most things.