RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

As I approach 60 I am becoming convinced that people who grow up wealthy miss out on most of life. I look at Trump's kids as well as those from other wealthy families and think about how terrible growing up would be without having a mom who cooked dinner and was always there. Or how it would be had I never been forced to cut the grass [and my grandparents grass]. Or had missed out on the thousands of times I dug worms so me and grandma could go fishing.

I think about being able to jump on my bike in the morning and play all day with my friends. Most of whom are still my friends to this day. Of being able to be on so many teams, note I said being on the team not playing :D . But I did get to play some. Of going to car shows in my granddads 53 Buick.

And so many other things that cost next to nothing. That didn't require a country club membership or much pre planning. Things that were so much fun as to this day me and the guys I grew up with will still argue about plays from backyard whiffleball games that took place close to 50 years ago.

Things that I imagine most kids from really wealthy and affluent families missed out on. Kind of makes me feel sad for them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:08 pm 
Political Junkie

Wealth, I don't think, is a indicator as to whether someone grew up happy or not. Or whether they grew up with a good family life, or good values, etc. Of course not having a fear of losing your house or knowing where your next meal is coming from certainly removes a lot of stress. And for that I'm thankful. But that is certainly a level far below wealthy. I don't think I was so aware of people richer or poorer than I growing up. But then our society tends to live in fairly homogeneous economic groups.

Its sort of like asking what it was like growing up as a twin. If you grew up that way, its the life you knew.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

I would have to say growing up in a wealthy family would also have to do with where you live. As Viewer mentioned, people tend to live in fairly homogeneous economic groups so what glen experienced growing up may pertain to people in all economic groups. I grew up in the military and my father being an officer we were considered middle-class. We lived in different states and some of the places would be considered wealthy in 1950 standards and yet we kids in the neighborhood played sandlot baseball, football, hide-n-seek, go fishing, exploring in the woods, catching frogs, and all the things you saw in the old movies.

I think what glen is comparing is kids today to the way glen grew up 50 years ago and it's an unfair comparison. Technology has changed much of our lifestyles and kids today stay indoors more than they did 50 years ago and it doesn't matter if their parents are rich or poor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 am 
Board Emeritus

I have no complaints about how I was brought up, materially. I had everything I needed and most of what I wanted. That said:

Grow up wealthy and liberal? sure, I guess. Why not.

Wealthy and conservative? hell no

Low-income and conservative? hell no

Middle class and conservative? hell no, already survived a version of that; wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Don't care about the wealthy part. But sure, it would have been nice to have been more comfortable. We were pretty poor. Life is good though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:32 pm 
Policy Wonk

I don't think I was so aware of people richer or poorer than I growing up. But then our society tends to live in fairly homogeneous economic groups.

My mother's income placed us firmly in the bottom quartile when I was growing up. Public schools were awful in my neighborhood, so my mother sent us to private, religiously affiliated schools starting when I was in fourth or fifth grade. I was aware we didn't have much money early on, but became more acutely aware of it when I went to a more exclusive, private high school (I received scholarships and "work study" assistance). I remember the parents of one of my classmates bought him a BMW for his 16th birthday, which he drove to school. The parking lot of my high school was full of cars like that, and I'll admit to being envious of those kids who could drive to school while I rode public transportation. There was also a very distinct separation between the haves and the have-nots at the school, so in my case, not knowing how the other half lived wasn't an option. I knew full well we didn't have money and they did.

Long story short, I can now afford to give my daughter many of the things those parents gave their children. Because things turned out the way they did, I don't think I would change how I grew up. I honestly believe I learned some important life lessons during that time. I also have a tremendous amount of respect for my mother, who made us her number one priority. If anything, I wish she had had more money so she didn't have to deal with the stress of figuring out how to make ends meet.

As you said, Viewer, there is a big difference between having enough money to not have to worry about paying the bills and putting food on the table and being "wealthy." The former is what I'd change for my mother's sake.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Being rich is one of the most over-rated things in existence. All that happens is that problems grow proportionally larger along with the sums of money being thrown around. Oh, OK, no one's worried about eating, so I can't say it's as bad as poverty. It's just as demoralizing, though. There's still never enough money, and it seems as if one still owes gangsters and loan sharks a bundle at all times.

I suspect that, human nature being what it is, there's never enough money.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

White cons are eaten up from the inside out with generations of FOMO and class/status envy. Strangely, they think it's the blacks and the mexicans who are taking away their rights to be rich whites, when in fact, rich whites don't want them any more than they want us. So they vote for punitive policies and bleached-blond bimbos like donald trump, whom they think are going to get back at us.

Never really works out for them, though.

As we see with glen and the the other more flagrant resident WN/WE, this resentment is what characterizes their entire existence: the people they are desperate to impress and emulate will never, EVER, accept them as equals.

It must really suck rocks to be trapped in that vicious cycle of white self-loathing and minority scapegoating. Better them than me..

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

It occurs to me, though, that Glen is talking about growing up in a wealthy family.

You don't want that particular room in hell. Trust me. You don't. The drumpf kidz are well adjusted by the standards of shell shocked damaged victims from the rich kid ghetto. Maybe your life wouldn't have been damaged badly enough by your toxic environment and generally too-busy parents to make a best selling book, but it would be close. Then you would have "grown up," in age anyway, just in time for The Great Compression. You'd be downwardly mobile and have to sell your Porsche when it cost $3700 to change the tires. There you are in your Chevy Volt, wondering why the world passed you by, when probably in any other environment you'd have been considered brilliant. You'd be one of the first to go to a huge fancy university and actually work in your classes and wind up doing something really cool. Your parents would be glad they reproduced.

Instead... everything looks like failure, even success.

This is a room in hell that I wouldn't wish on any human being... oh, OK, some of them deserve it... most don't.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think being brought up in a wealth family would ingrain a sense of entitlement in the kid. Even if they become aware, later in life, of the inequity and tried to do something about it they would still feel since they came from a wealthy family they should be listened to over someone who grew up poor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:59 am 
Board Emeritus

I think being brought up in a wealth family would ingrain a sense of entitlement in the kid. Even if they become aware, later in life, of the inequity and tried to do something about it they would still feel since they came from a wealthy family they should be listened to over someone who grew up poor.

Many years ago back in Akron I was selling Chevy's married with a newborn and stone cold broke. Back when you would cash a check before payday without the funds to cover it because of the three day float.

We had a college intern whose granddad was one of the founders of roadway express. One day we were talking and I told him my TV was acting up and I stated I didn't know what I was going to do if it quit working.

His response was why don't you buy a new one. It never occurred to him that a person just wouldn't have the money for a new TV.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:25 am 
Board Emeritus

Many years ago back in Akron I was selling Chevy's married with a newborn and stone cold broke. Back when you would cash a check before payday without the funds to cover it because of the three day float.

We had a college intern whose granddad was one of the founders of roadway express. One day we were talking and I told him my TV was acting up and I stated I didn't know what I was going to do if it quit working.

His response was why don't you buy a new one. It never occurred to him that a person just wouldn't have the money for a new TV.

Yet these are the people you lionize and worship, and consider them superior to us.

I recall a labor cartoon that hit the nail on the head - a boss talking to his shop folks - saying "You wouldn't have to worry about retirement if you put several grand back a month, like I do."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yet these are the people you lionize and worship, and consider them superior to us.

I recall a labor cartoon that hit the nail on the head - a boss talking to his shop folks - saying "You wouldn't have to worry about retirement if you put several grand back a month, like I do."

I neither lionize or worship the wealthy. However unlike you I am not envious of them or believe that I am entitled to their property.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

I neither lionize or worship the wealthy. However unlike you I am not envious of them or believe that I am entitled to their property.

Yes you do. You believe that they are superior to us. You believe they all deserve their wealth because they are superior human beings.

You told me how Trump was such a smart and great businessman, even though he's a scam artist. You made those arguments.

Now you deny them. Not surprised. One thing a conservative always does - run away from admitting what he really believes.