Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Robbed Online
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Be careful out there. I was robbed last night. They took 3k from my bank account via etransfer. I was notified ASAP last night via phone message (we weren't home and didn't get the message till this morning). They also sent me an email. This morning I did a routine virus check and found something called PC clean, I believe. Not sure if that was the tool the culprit used. Not sure how they got my information either. I had to file a fraud complaint this morning. I'm told there's probably nothing to worry about and the bank figures it can stop the payment in limbo. Had to get a new debit card and fill out a declaration.

Post subject: Re: Robbed Online
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:44 am 
Board Emeritus

Be careful out there. I was robbed last night. They took 3k from my bank account via etransfer. I was notified ASAP last night via phone message (we weren't home and didn't get the message till this morning). They also sent me an email. This morning I did a routine virus check and found something called PC clean, I believe. Not sure if that was the tool the culprit used. Not sure how they got my information either. I had to file a fraud complaint this morning. I'm told there's probably nothing to worry about and the bank figures it can stop the payment in limbo. Had to get a new debit card and fill out a declaration.

Sorry to hear what happened to you. I never do any type of banking on-line because I don't want some hidden program sending my bank information to some computer thief.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:52 am 
Board Emeritus

:o Scary! Sorry to hear this.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:57 am 
Board Emeritus

Thanks for that.

My online banking days are over after this. It's stressful but I'm pretty sure I'm getting it back.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:47 am 
Policy Wonk

I had this happen to me over a year ago. Whoever it was (I suspect it was a teenage girl, since they used my debit card to buy PURSES) only stole about $500 over a three month period. The charges were reversed within a couple weeks, once bank security was onto it. They told me it was impossible to try to track down the culprit, that they'd leave that up to the purse company.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:19 am 
Board Emeritus

Last month a had a credit card hacked. I used it in Dallas to buy truck parts. Less than 24 hours later over 100 dollars was charged at a doughnut shop North of Atlanta.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Last month a had a credit card hacked. I used it in Dallas to buy truck parts. Less than 24 hours later over 100 dollars was charged at a doughnut shop North of Atlanta.

It was probably done by the fattest cop on the police force. :)