RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:08 pm 

forget discrimination, what if there's a refusal to even acknowledge a child's disability at all?
all because you don't want to put in the effort to do your job?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:36 pm 

i enrolled my kids in a middle school a yr ago. at the local library, the librarian stated she had to fight to get her son to even get a small amount of special ed services, and that she believed they were doing something else with the money for the kids in special ed. fast forward to feb 2017, i was sick and had an individual education program meeting with the special ed teachers, the principal, and other officials (per usual), but i wanted to reschedule. the special ed teacher asked if we could do the meeting in a conference call as my son's eligibility ran out on the date the meeting was scheduled. i said sure. in the meeting i was told he was being removed from special ed altogether. that he no longer needed services.
they tested him for aspergers but not autism (which i found odd). also what i found suspect, why worry about his eligibility if he would no longer be a part of special ed? another red flag, the head of special ed at the school, is also his special ed teacher, and a football booster and sponsor. plus this teacher is married to the school superintendent. add that to the fact that their budget runs from sept to sept the following year and yep. the whole thing is just fishy to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:57 am 
Board Emeritus

Rememberearth, we share a lot in common.

My son is severely disabled by Autism. My daughter was under an Asperger diagnosis years ago but they haven't used that designation since DSM-5 which was published in 2013. Now there's just a single diagnosis, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). There are degrees and ends to that spectrum, where a child is located on that spectrum is used to plan their individualized education program (IEP).

I don't see the DSM-5, currently used diagnosis words in your post, that's a red flag.

During that meeting did they inform you of your rights?

That is usually the first order of business. They have to inform you of your rights even if you have been informed of them 15 times during prior IEP meetings, there is a required handout about them. And your signature about having been informed of your rights is required. After all these years if I were to stack my IEP rights handouts atop one another it would be a foot thick.

Under Federal law, the IDEA act, these are your rights:

To receive a complete explanation of all the procedural safeguards available under IDEA and the procedures in the state for presenting complaints.

To inspect and review the educational records of their child.

To participate in meetings related to the identification, evaluation, and placement of their child, and the provision of FAPE (a free appropriate public education) to their child.

To obtain an independent educational evaluation (IEE) of their child.

To receive “prior written notice” on matters relating to the identification, evaluation, or placement of their child, and the provision of FAPE to their child.

To give or deny their consent before the school may take certain action with respect to their child.

To disagree with decisions made by the school system on those issues.

To use IDEA’s mechanisms for resolving disputes, including the right to appeal determinations.

http://www.parentcenterhub.org/notice-safeguards/#what

I'm wondering what your school is like.