Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

.....very funny and relevant

She hadn't heard about the Kevin Spacey scandal nor did she know about the rumors that Spacey is gay. Upon hearing he had come out of the closet she said "that is why he looked so comfortable kissing men on House of Cards". Not that there are many people left who don't believe people are born gay, looking comfortable while making out with a person of your gender might be an indication they were.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's called acting, Glen. The people who do it long enough and well enough to become celebrities tend to be quite good at it.

Spacey's gay conflicts, if any, or cultural programming, or lack of same, would go to how he prepared for the part, not to how he did it. It's a nervous subject for males in this culture, but dealing with that sort of thing is one reason why not everyone is cut out to be an actor.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's called acting, Glen. The people who do it long enough and well enough to become celebrities tend to be quite good at it.

Spacey's gay conflicts, if any, or cultural programming, or lack of same, would go to how he prepared for the part, not to how he did it. It's a nervous subject for males in this culture, but dealing with that sort of thing is one reason why not everyone is cut out to be an actor.

I sure hear many male actors claiming they would never do a gay love scene.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW, one of the interesting art/life things that occurs to me about this, is in American Beauty, the uber-strict father who lives down the street and is closeted & secretly gay, gets confused by the fact that the Spacey character is now living apart from his wife, and thinks he might be gay. He tries to kiss Spacey, the character tells him he's not gay and he misunderstood, he's so embarrassed that this might now be known about him, he kills Spacey's character at the end of the film.

Spacey's character in that film also tries to seduce a young girl, one of his daughter's teenage friends, but doesn't go through with it.

BTW, if that's a spoiler for you, you have probably been living in a cave.

I like American Beauty but I think, as a film, I like K-PAX even better. Leaves you guessing, even after the very end of the film.

I haven't been watching House of Cards with any regularity. Seems to me a lot of the elements of the lead characters are supposed to be based on the Clintons, or at least what people believe about them, particularly their 'show'-marriage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Absolutely right, it's acting. A lot of actors will kiss a person of the same sex if the scene requires it. It's not different from having a gay actor kissing another actor of the opposite sex. Case in point, Rock Hudson (gay) and Susan St. James (straight) in the TV program McMillan and Wife where they played husband and wife. Or gays of the opposite. like Married With Children, where Amanda Bearse and Ted Ginley, both gay, played a married couple.

It's easier to to focus on the actors playing their roles than being concerned about their sexual orientation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Really? I don't remember hearing that, but then, I don't have a problem with gays.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

How many actors have you heard that from?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

How many actors have you heard that from?

My name's not Glen, but my guess is that if he's heard it, it's not from someone with a TV series deal.

Also, there are scenes and there are scenes. If "gay love scene" means something like in Brokeback Mountain, that's different from a quick little kissy-face. Along with the obvious personal issue, there's also a touchy career implication with something like this.

Heath Ledger, who was totally straight, got messed up doing a part, but it was Dark Knight, not Brokeback Mountain. It messed with his head, and later he OD'd on prescription drugs trying to sleep.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW, one of the interesting art/life things that occurs to me about this, is in American Beauty, the uber-strict father who lives down the street and is closeted & secretly gay, gets confused by the fact that the Spacey character is now living apart from his wife, and thinks he might be gay. He tries to kiss Spacey, the character tells him he's not gay and he misunderstood, he's so embarrassed that this might now be known about him, he kills Spacey's character at the end of the film.

Spacey's character in that film also tries to seduce a young girl, one of his daughter's teenage friends, but doesn't go through with it.

I like American Beauty but I think, as a film, I like K-PAX even better. Leaves you guessing, even after the very end of the film.

I haven't been watching House of Cards with any regularity. Seems to me a lot of the elements of the lead characters are supposed to be based on the Clintons, or at least what people believe about them, particularly their 'show'-marriage.

Enjoyed K-Pax very much. And it does leave you guessing.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Really? I don't remember hearing that, but then, I don't have a problem with gays.

If you are inferring that I have a problem with gays then I will ask you to quit fucking lying as you know that is not even remotely true.

As for the male actors saying that I ve heard many say that very thing while being interviewed by Howard Stern. They have all been male and all given pretty much the same reason. That being they are afraid how it would affect the rest of their career.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

My name's not Glen, but my guess is that if he's heard it, it's not from someone with a TV series deal.

Also, there are scenes and there are scenes. If "gay love scene" means something like in Brokeback Mountain, that's different from a quick little kissy-face. Along with the obvious personal issue, there's also a touchy career implication with something like this.

Heath Ledger, who was totally straight, got messed up doing a part, but it was Dark Knight, not Brokeback Mountain. It messed with his head, and later he OD'd on prescription drugs trying to sleep.

It has always been on Stern and usually when Ledger or Brokeback Mountain comes up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

Absolutely right, it's acting. A lot of actors will kiss a person of the same sex if the scene requires it. It's not different from having a gay actor kissing another actor of the opposite sex. Case in point, Rock Hudson (gay) and Susan St. James (straight) in the TV program McMillan and Wife where they played husband and wife. Or gays of the opposite. like Married With Children, where Amanda Bearse and Ted Ginley, both gay, played a married couple.

It's easier to to focus on the actors playing their roles than being concerned about their sexual orientation.

I guess I should have included romantic kissing. But, I forgot how much the hypocrites here love to play the gotcha game.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

.....very funny and relevant

She hadn't heard about the Kevin Spacey scandal nor did she know about the rumors that Spacey is gay. Upon hearing he had come out of the closet she said "that is why he looked so comfortable kissing men on House of Cards". Not that there are many people left who don't believe people are born gay, looking comfortable while making out with a person of your gender might be an indication they were.

I don't believe people are born gay.

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was a regular watcher until a couple months ago when work really picked up for me. For Robin Wright's outfits.

Christamighty she is stunning in HOC and you know ice queen sorts do not appeal to me at all. Will make an exception for Robin Wright in HOC :oops: :P

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time