Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: What do you do for fun?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

After years of posting here I have come to the conclusion that the further to the left or the right a person is the less fun they are. It seems so many here are all politics all the time. Ive read various accounts against NASCAR, Drag Racing, Football college pro and fantasy. It seems that many people are here quite a lot. During times when most are out with friends, hanging with family or pursuing a hobby.

As for me I play Poker 6 to 8 times a month. Play Gin every Monday night that I am home. Am in a fantasy FB league with guys I went to HS with over 40 years ago. Go to the drag races with some younger friends [in their 30's] who race. Teach sports and build things with my grandson. this weekend we built a shelter for our rescue chicken. Occasionally will pull a wrench. If I am home on a night my Shrine Club or Masonic Lodge is meeting I try to go there. Follow football way to much, if not for being stuck in the truck at night I doubt I would ever have time to come here. For years now Ive wanted to start fishing again but just can't find the time.

Again it seems to me that many of you are obsessed with politics and very little else. So what do you folks do for fun?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

I bowl three times a week. Two of them are in leagues and on I practice with couple of friends of mine in one of the leagues. Bowling is a good social sport because while you're waiting your turn to step onto the lane you have a chance to talk and have fun with those around you. There are leagues where there are serious bowlers but the one's I like are the fun leagues where you can have competition and still have fun.
In one league, we have a bowling poker game in which those playing pay three dollars, one dollar for each game, with the winner of each game getting one dollar for each person playing. For each strike or spare you get a card; for a turkey (three strikes in a row) you get two cards for the third strike and as long as you continue the string of strike you get two cards for each one; two cards if you pickup a split. We play with a stack of four decks of cards, no limit on how many cards you can have, and the person with the highest five-card poker hand wins. You'd think the person who has a lot of strikes and spares would have the most cards and win but often its the person with just six to eight cards that wins. I know how that feel sometimes having around 18 cards in my hand and only having a couple of pairs.

My two leagues cost $14 and $15 a night but they are money leagues so I'll get some money back at the end of the season. On the day I practice, it's a chance relax, try different approaches, and just shoot the breeze.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

I write about it all the time Glen. If the weather is nice I talk with the animals. If it isn't that nice I watch them from the porch.

I do other things for fun too, but since it constantly changes if I listed some of the things they would be the things I have done, and not the things I'm going to do next. I don't ever know what I'm going to do next, not knowing that is part of the fun.

I do a lot of things which are not exactly fun, or not fun. Work, most folks call that grab bag of things to do work. It's kind of fun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

I bowl three times a week. Two of them are in leagues and on I practice with couple of friends of mine in one of the leagues. Bowling is a good social sport because while you're waiting your turn to step onto the lane you have a chance to talk and have fun with those around you. There are leagues where there are serious bowlers but the one's I like are the fun leagues where you can have competition and still have fun.
In one league, we have a bowling poker game in which those playing pay three dollars, one dollar for each game, with the winner of each game getting one dollar for each person playing. For each strike or spare you get a card; for a turkey (three strikes in a row) you get two cards for the third strike and as long as you continue the string of strike you get two cards for each one; two cards if you pickup a split. We play with a stack of four decks of cards, no limit on how many cards you can have, and the person with the highest five-card poker hand wins. You'd think the person who has a lot of strikes and spares would have the most cards and win but often its the person with just six to eight cards that wins. I know how that feel sometimes having around 18 cards in my hand and only having a couple of pairs.

My two leagues cost $14 and $15 a night but they are money leagues so I'll get some money back at the end of the season. On the day I practice, it's a chance relax, try different approaches, and just shoot the breeze.

Bowling is cool. While I have next to zero hand eye cooridination my brother could have been a pro bowler. At one time he carried an average of over 200 in three different houses at the same time. Explaining that anyone could have a 200 average if they only bowled at one house. Turns out well paid printers earn more than average pro bowlers.

When I was underage bowling was very big in NE Ohio the houses were packed. I used to go and watch my brother, wait for somebody to sit down an empty beer bottle or can. Then pick it up walk into

the bar and order another. It worked everytime until his 1st wife told on me.

Last edited by glenfs on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

I write about it all the time Glen. If the weather is nice I talk with the animals. If it isn't that nice I watch them from the porch.

I do other things for fun too, but since it constantly changes if I listed some of the things they would be the things I have done, and not the things I'm going to do next. I don't ever know what I'm going to do next, not knowing that is part of the fun.

I do a lot of things which are not exactly fun, or not fun. Work, most folks call that grab bag of things to do work. It's kind of fun.

I know you are one of the few here who do have outside interests. Also it seems the fewer outside interests a person here seems to have the more nasty they are in their comments. As for animals we are down to 4 dogs....but.....as I was leaving for work I saw a young black lab about a quarter of a mile from our house. Elly Mae was already online looking at the lost dog adds. I suspect when I get home we will be back up to 5 dogs. To go with 5 cats and a one eyed rooster. Oh and a horse living on the retirement plan as he is to old to ride.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:28 pm 

Outside of raising 4 kids I like hunting, fishing, and sports.

I'm off this week to hunt whitetails with a bow and arrow. Three of my relatives and a couple friends are here to hunt as well. Two of us live here. The rest come in from 150-300 miles away.

Won't be too much longer and we'll be ice fishing.

Basketball helps keep me physically active. Try to play 2-3 times a week whenever possible.

Also enjoy carpentry.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm off this week to hunt whitetails with a bow and arrow. Three of my relatives and a couple friends are here to hunt as well. Two of us live here. The rest come in from 150-300 miles away.

Basketball helps keep me physically active. Try to play 2-3 times a week whenever possible.

Also enjoy carpentry.

There are a few whitetail bucks been hanging around the house this fall. They like the acorns. We've been so friendly with each other for so long I can walk within 10 or 20 feet of them and they don't run away.

A few times I've entertained the stray thought of picking up a rock or stick and bagging one of them. Then I remember the work needed to deal with them after they're dead and decided to continue buying my meat at the store.

I also enjoy carpentry. I do with a lawn mower what you do with a Basketball.

It pleases me to no end that I will never have to walk on a frozen pond ever again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

It pleases me to no end that I will never have to walk on a frozen pond ever again.

Not gonna move back to Montana soon, raise up some lonely dental floss, and become a tycoon?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

I know you are one of the few here who do have outside interests. Also it seems the fewer outside interests a person here seems to have the more nasty they are in their comments. As for animals we are down to 4 dogs....but.....as I was leaving for work I saw a young black lab about a quarter of a mile from our house. Elly Mae was already online looking at the lost dog adds. I suspect when I get home we will be back up to 5 dogs. To go with 5 cats and a one eyed rooster. Oh and a horse living on the retirement plan as he is to old to ride.

Glen I thing you might be equating isolation with having a lack of outside interests. They are not the same thing at all, although they might correlate, and isolation might be a cause for a loss of outside interests.

I'm isolated because of caring for my son eats up so much of my time. I have little bits of time, not long periods of time. I used to use long periods of time for sailing. I don't do that anymore and I miss it.

Other people here have other reasons why they are isolated, I would think most of them don't have an alternative.

When you are here you are usually isolated by a caring for a truck and cargo. And like me you have little bits if time. When you are not isolated by that truck you are not usually here. :|

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not gonna move back to Montana soon, raise up some lonely dental floss, and become a tycoon?

Two nights ago I could hear a coon outside of the house. I couldn't see it out there in the dark. The next morning I saw it's tracks. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:57 pm 

Two nights ago I could hear a coon outside of the house. I couldn't see it out there in the dark. The next morning I saw it's tracks. :)

There's a family of coons living in an old hog building on one of the farms I'm hunting. The owner would like them gone. Once the fur buyer starts making trips to our neck of the woods I'll take care of them for him. The destruction they cause is really quite impressive.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:53 am 
Board Emeritus

Glen I thing you might be equating isolation with having a lack of outside interests. They are not the same thing at all, although they might correlate, and isolation might be a cause for a loss of outside interests.

I'm isolated because of caring for my son eats up so much of my time. I have little bits of time, not long periods of time. I used to use long periods of time for sailing. I don't do that anymore and I miss it.

Other people here have other reasons why they are isolated, I would think most of them don't have an alternative.

When you are here you are usually isolated by a caring for a truck and cargo. And like me you have little bits if time. When you are not isolated by that truck you are not usually here. :|

Those are very reasoned ideas on the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:56 am 
Board Emeritus

Also enjoy carpentry.

Never been hunting the field dressing process leaves me out. Get queasy around blood.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:46 am 
Board Emeritus

Bowling is cool. While I have next to zero hand eye cooridination my brother could have been a pro bowler. At one time he carried an average of over 200 in three different houses at the same time. Explaining that anyone could have a 200 average if they only bowled at one house. Turns out well paid printers earn more than average pro bowlers.

When I was underage bowling was very big in NE Ohio the houses were packed. I used to go and watch my brother, wait for somebody to sit down an empty beer bottle or can. Then pick it up walk into

the bar and order another. It worked everytime until his 1st wife told on me.

Bowling is like any sport in that you have to practice at it to be decent. I taught myself to juggle and at first I looked uncoordinated but after time I could get a smooth rhythm going and incorporate different moves. The same goes with bowling, you just have to get used to the motions.

I'm going better this year in two leagues and currently hold averages of 198 and 208 in two different houses. I'm planning on going to Las Vegas for a tournament in January. As for the money you can win as a pro bowler, only a few of them can make a living which is why almost all pro bowlers have regular jobs.

Back in the late 60s, I used to keep score in tournaments a local navy base where I was in an AJBC league. Pay is whatever the bowlers wanted to give you but usually I could make $20 for each session.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 am 
Board Emeritus

There are a few whitetail bucks been hanging around the house this fall. They like the acorns. We've been so friendly with each other for so long I can walk within 10 or 20 feet of them and they don't run away.

A few times I've entertained the stray thought of picking up a rock or stick and bagging one of them. Then I remember the work needed to deal with them after they're dead and decided to continue buying my meat at the store.

I also enjoy carpentry. I do with a lawn mower what you do with a Basketball.

I've tried hunting twice. Once with bow and arrow and once with a .22 rifle. My friend, who is an avid hunter/fisherman, took us into the woods and we set up our (his) tree stands and waited. I could hear the deer but not see them so we got nothing. We went squirrel hunting and duck hunting in his boat. While we were waiting for the duck to appear we tried to shoot some squirrels, which he likes to eat. We saw a squirrel and I fired about five shots and the damn squirrel just sat starring at us. My friend asked to try and he fired five shoots and missed him too. He checked the sights by shooting at tree the same distance away as the squirrel was and said the sights were good. I guess it was just the squirrel's lucky day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

Music - I have a home studio and I write and compose my own stuff. I use my guitar to lay down music tracks and I also use it for midi (I have a midi controller strapped to my telecaster). Drums tracks are canned though. I used to play drums in a garage band but it's too difficult and time consuming to record real drums (mic setup, correct room etc.) Just rebuilt a new computer system for recording audio and video editing.

Animation - I started learning and creating animation using Adobe Animate. I have some animations online.

Busy Mom and Dad - My kid is involved in a ton of activities, so when I'm not busy creating we're taking him to hockey practice, hockey games, piano lessons, karate, swimming or whatever else he's involved in outside of school.

Skiing - winter fun. Haven't done as much lately but hope to hit the slopes this year.

Weight lifting - used to work out all the time till my eye incident. Hope to get back into it soon. Right now I'm doing cardio daily.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's a political board.

Most of the discussions happen in a forum called "Politics And Current Events." Surprisingly enough, they tend to be about politics and current events.

We're not all stereotypical 1930s Marxist agitators trying to ban fun. I know one or two people fitting that description, but they aren't really very popular. We vastly prefer the ones who dance and join drum circles.

I have several ways to have fun. None are political. All are, well, fun, and sometimes remunerative too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

"Fun, baby..."

Rang dang diggedy dang di-dang.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:39 am 
Policy Wonk

Attachment:
20863667_10208051755730288_3556527475440357791_o.jpg
20863667_10208051755730288_3556527475440357791_o.jpg [ 217.17 KiB | Viewed 244 times ]
Photography. Mostly stills, but now I am beginning to explore video, and I've made a few short videos of places nearby that I've posted on youtube. Nothing great, I have no formal training in filmmaking, but it's fun and relaxing and gets me out of the house. I've been doing still photography since before high school, and took serious photography classes for two years in high school, in a trade school. I still keep in touch with my photography teacher who is still a wild and crazy guy.
Though trained in film , mostly B&W, which I love as a medium, the evolution to digital has been great for getting me back into it. I take a camera of some kind everywhere I go, even if I don't have a chance to use it.
It beats going to church.

Attachments:
18404145_10207350312674650_3511375402548169123_o.jpg
18404145_10207350312674650_3511375402548169123_o.jpg [ 152.59 KiB | Viewed 244 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's a political board.
We're not all stereotypical 1930s Marxist agitators trying to ban fun.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Those birds are some good shit.

I get a real bang out of photography, and sometimes I even make money at it. It keeps being bigger than I am, with more stuff to learn, and that keeps it compelling.

Yes, Professor, Emma said it for all of us.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

Ospreys. In the 50's and 60's the farms used to use insecticides that destroyed the shells of their eggs. They've made a great comeback and can be seen anywhere along the bays and ponds out here. These two live in a nest above a pond around the corner. We have some Bald Eagles around here now, but I have yet to get a chance at them. Very wily and cautious of humans. Can't blame them, humans are viscious creatures.

Attachments:
17523668_10207015177096470_3157184209549676557_n.jpg
17523668_10207015177096470_3157184209549676557_n.jpg [ 55.37 KiB | Viewed 227 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Looks like another one of Glen's BS theories goes down in flames.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:31 am 
Board Emeritus

Say what you want about Phil Collins, but keep in mind that he's
already admitted to not being able to dance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:35 am 
Board Emeritus

I have so damned many hobbies and interests it isn't funny. I love history, and love doing art, video and animation on my computer. Into museums and music. Working on losing some pounds and buying another bicycle. When I retire I plan to move to a college town, take lots of classes and go to theater, concerts and music festivals.