Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Goodbye for now.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:52 am 
Board Emeritus

I'm not sure why I'm typing this other than for some form of release. I won't be on the boards for awhile. Not sure when I'll be back.

Yesterday afternoon my wife and our beautiful dog were hit by a truck crossing a 4 way stop/crosswalk in a school zone. I have no idea how this happened and how a driver could run into someone at a 4 way stop while crossing the crosswalk in broad day light in a 30km/hr zone. It's not a super busy street although it gets congested when it's time to pick kids up, and my wife is always super careful when she crosses roads. Kids cross those crosswalks all the time, that's why they are there.

My wife was taken to emergency and she's going to be OK. Her leg was injured but it's not broken. They think it's just a very bad sprain and possible torn ligaments around her knee.

But Maggie was killed. I just can't believe it. That puppy was the love of our life. She was the sweetest dog I've ever met. I was in our car when it happened, parked at the side of the road. My wife and I park there every day to pick my son up from school, and every day she takes Maggie out for a small walk before the bell rings. I was surfing my phone and looked up and saw the commotion and knew something bad happened.

The man that hit them also happened to be the caretaker of the building my mom lives in, in a fucked up circumstance. My mom's building is right on that corner. He was wearing sunglasses so his vision was probably poor and I'd suspect he was on his phone. I just don't know and I just don't understand how he did this. I feel a swollen with rage and utter sadness. I hardly slept last night, my wife has been up all night crying, and my son has hardly spoken a word.

Nothing will bring our little dog back. She was one of a kind, adopted in 2016 from the Humane Society when she was 8-10 weeks old.

I feel utterly devastated. Take care of yourselves.

Drak/Jamie

Post subject: Re: Goodbye for now.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 am 
Board Emeritus

Oh man, Drak. So sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I'm glad your wife is ok. Take all the time you need, we'll leave the lights on for ya'.

Stop calling the cops on us.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:30 am 

Ugh. I don't have words to ease your pain.

Hoping you and your family find comfort in this awful time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:45 am 
Board Emeritus

One of those endless mysteries of the universe.

Bad things happening to good people. It really seems unfair.

Sorry for your loss - and your injuries.

BTW, people - "it can wait" - don't text or use your phone while driving, I agree that was probably a factor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:51 am 
Board Emeritus

Take all the time you need Drak my deepest condolences to your family.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

oh im so sorry to read this drak. its heartbreaking.

do take care of wife and You too and soon you will find a new critter than needs your love.

:hnk:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:14 pm 
Policy Wonk

R.I.P. Dear puppy. I'm so sorry for your loss.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear about this Drak. Best wishes.

If it happened me I'd go to Humane Society again right away.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dark, I am glad that your wife will be ok.

I am so sorry about Maggie. We have had two dogs that we had to put to sleep which was hard enough. I can’t imagine how I would feel if Fuzzy, our current little (60 lb) guy, were taken from us like that. As Mrs. Bird says we have gotten our buddies from the used dog lot. They are the best.

The board can certainly wait. Take all the time you need.

Peace,

Bird

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:50 am 
Board Emeritus

How horrible! So sorry!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:23 pm 
Policy Wonk

I'm sorry, Drak. You take all the time you need, we're here when you're ready to come back. Best wishes for your wife, and deepest sympathy for the loss of a dear family member.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Good to see you Drak. Hope everything is OK with you and yours.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6271.html

Thought I'd respond to this in here instead of in the political thread.

Thanks for the support from everyone here.

Things are going OK I guess. It's been pretty dark over the last month though. My wife is healing and there's an insurance claim helping cover a few things. It could have been a lot worse for her. She's on crutches still and can put a little weight on her leg.

I've been pursuing action with the city on that area trying to get something done to make it more safe. From speaking with people in the area it seems the 4 way stop gets run a lot. In this case, the driver didn't run the stop sign but he claims he didn't see my wife because the sun was in his face. I go through there all the time, and often drive with the sun in my face. I'm extra careful when that happens but I can still see the road, so my take is he was on his cell phone or he was distracted and not paying attention in a school zone.

Some days are better than others. The worst for me is at night and in the morning. I have to get up early because in the morning all I dream about is our dog. She was the sweetest little dog in the world and super affectionate and gentle. She was very intelligent and full of emotion. I go through split seconds where I forget she's gone and often wonder if this is just a bad dream.

I have been looking at dogs like her and have been in contact with some folks hoping to line something up for next year, because it feels so empty without another friend in the house. But it's hard.

We think she was part Coton de Tulear, or at least from that family of dogs. Maybe she was a Maltese cross they have a similar look. She definitely looked almost purebred and inherited her genes from a father that most likely was one of these breeds. Like the Cotons, she loved to get up on her hind legs and walk around like a person and she knew all of her toys by name.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

hi drak. thanks for checking in.

all i know is i still cry at least 1-2x a day since the last horse burial.

another dog for you will help.

im still not sure what the hell im doing so im sitting put for now.
old feral cat is still here being the old feral. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

When Marvin, our first dog, died we waited all of 1 month. The house was too quiet. And too clean (not enough dog hair) ;) Then we got Barkley. When he passed on we waited a little longer but not much. they just fill a void that is missing. Now we have Fuzzy. He is a goof but sweet.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:34 am 
Site Admin

When Marvin, our first dog, died we waited all of 1 month. The house was too quiet. And too clean (not enough dog hair) ;) Then we got Barkley. When he passed on we waited a little longer but not much. they just fill a void that is missing. Now we have Fuzzy. He is a goof but sweet.

Life is so hard and so fragile. It is often taken away without warning or meaning.

This is not comfort, I know. But it is recognition of your pain, which I've experienced on some level.

I am sorry for what you've lost, but I am glad you and your wife are okay.

-P