PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am off all day
Ive done all my outside chores, mainly winterized my well house
It is to cold to go outside
The Browns are on local TV in Charlotte at 1
The Bengals are on at 4:30
I got a gallon of Beam at Xmas
With luck like this I might go buy a lotto ticket.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am off all day

Buy the Lotto ticket before you touch the Beam.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am off all day

Yeah, buy that lotto ticket, pay some voluntary tax before the year comes to an end.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:26 am 
Board Emeritus

Today in NE Ohio the temps are supposed to drop like a rock. From the 50's down to low 20's. Rain, freezing rain followed by snow, 4-10 inches last time I checked.

I hate winter.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45 am 
Board Emeritus

The temperatures here sure dropped like a rock after that warm rain storm we had moved out.

This morning the sky was blue and it was it ever cold while I was out before sun up waiting at the end of the driveway with my son for his school bus.

I expect just as soon as the sun gets up it will warm up but at 6:30 AM it was 41 degrees.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:33 am 
Board Emeritus

Where I am the temps fell on Friday from the 50’s to the low twenties. We did have freezing rain but we didn’t get the amount of snow they thought we would. We only got about 2-3 inches. Other areas not that far from us got more like 6-8 inches. It was like we were in this weird little area.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Where I'm at it's 75 degrees an partially cloudy. I don't miss the cold, the rain, the snow, or the freezing temperatures.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

I miss 70 degree weather in Los Angeles. That's a cold spell now. Yesterday was 90 in Long Beach and 85 everywhere else, and we're gonna beat that by plenty today. That's just wrong.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:17 am 
Board Emeritus

I had major excitement today. I drove to Merced in the afternoon and encountered water flowing over the tops of bridges, land slides, mud rocks and tree parts on the highway.

I was in the TV news. http://abc30.com/weather/highway-140-cl ... g/3248356/

After driving across three bridges with a foot of water flowing across I came to this spot where the TV crew was as stranded as we were. When I got there the level was just a bit higher than the three previous bridges. I decided to wait a while and when the level dropped about 8 inches I went on, about 10 minutes after this video was filmed. I'm one of the people standing at the waters edge checking it out.

When I went on I was pushing water with the front bumper, it was deeper than the floor boards. I was worried about the car floating and being swept away by the current.

On the way home the highway was closed and is still closed now. I had to find a path home back roads. One road I went down had a bridge completely washed out, and I had to back track.

The drive which usually takes an hour each way took 2 hours going to Merced, and about three hours returning.

We got 6.65 inches of rain in the last 24 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sam's video is a perfect storm for how cross-site scripting is ruining the Web. First the video didn't exist, so I temporarily approved two internet commerce/spyware companies to run their stuff. That got me a black square. Then I noticed that these scripts had brought in 21 more various Internet Things to approve, before I became one of the charmed circle who were rewarded with some moving talking pictures after being sliced, diced, classified, and served up in little metrics to the ad machine.

The video goes unwatched. I apologize to the Great Megalithic American Commerce Machine for not fitting its core demographic.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Getting back on topic, I saw the flash flood warning for Tuolumne. There was also one for Ventura County where the fire was. Here we had to make do with only a swift water rescue. This time it was someone in a car, not the usual homeless sleeping in that same place in the L.A. "River."

--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sam's video is a perfect storm for how cross-site scripting is ruining the Web. First the video didn't exist, so I temporarily approved two internet commerce/spyware companies to run their stuff. That got me a black square. Then I noticed that these scripts had brought in 21 more various Internet Things to approve, before I became one of the charmed circle who were rewarded with some moving talking pictures after being sliced, diced, classified, and served up in little metrics to the ad machine.

The video goes unwatched. I apologize to the Great Megalithic American Commerce Machine for not fitting its core demographic.

I clicked on the video in the link and it played without any problems, that is after the 15-second ad played.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:29 pm 
Policy Wonk

I clicked on the video in the link and it played without any problems, that is after the 15-second ad played.

Same here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Getting back on topic, I saw the flash flood warning for Tuolumne. There was also one for Ventura County where the fire was. Here we had to make do with only a swift water rescue. This time it was someone in a car, not the usual homeless sleeping in that same place in the L.A. "River."

It never amazes me to see people trying to drive through a foot-and-a-half or more of rushing water. It doesn't take much to move a car or knock someone off their feet. In San Diego, the local TV news used to show one low spot that flooded in a heavy rain in Fashion Valley by one of the malls. Now, whenever we have a heavy rain, the police put up barricades to prevent people from driving across it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

It never amazes me to see people trying to drive through a foot-and-a-half or more of rushing water. It doesn't take much to move a car or knock someone off their feet. In San Diego, the local TV news used to show one low spot that flooded in a heavy rain in Fashion Valley by one of the malls. Now, whenever we have a heavy rain, the police put up barricades to prevent people from driving across it.

It's amazing, and it requires one does ones roadside math correctly as well. :)

I drove through four spots which was exactly as bad as the one in the TV clip. The one in the clip was the last one.

I wasn't born yesterday and fording streams is not a new thing for me. It's what Fords are made for, although Dodge pickups cross rivers and streams fairly well too.

At each of those spots where water was flowing over the bridges I would pull off and watch other cars and trucks first to assess when it was time for me to proceed. And by then I would have the route plotted in my head to get through it after having considered currents and depth. Watching other cars is how I knew where and how the currents were affecting the cars.

When I drove through those spots they were all exactly the same insofar as depth because I was in essence measuring the depth before I tackled it, waiting for the waters to recede to the point it was safe for my car. I measured the depth by watching other cars with the same sized tires as my car had, watching for how high the water was in comparison to the tire height. The maximum safe depth for my car in moderate current is 1 1/2 feet. I had to worry about that because my car would float.

Floating is bad. One never needs to worry about that with a Ford pickup when fording streams. They leaked so badly that if one drove into water deeper than the floor boards ones feet would be standing in water almost instantly, and because of that a Ford simply would not float. That means they were ideal for fording rivers and streams when I was growing up.

We had a Dodge because Henry was such an anti-Semite we wouldn't own one of the bastards pickups. It leaked pretty good too. One time I got in a bit too deep when fording the Dolores River just west of the town of Dolores. The way I figured that out was I had water up to my crotch, it was cold. That ford is now at the bottom of a lake, they built a dam down stream of that county road ford. So it's gone now. :(

My car's clearance, the height of the floor boards is about 7 inches. But as the car is lifted the tires descend on the springs about 6 more inches. If the floor boards get a foot under the water level the car would car have the buoyancy to completely float free of the bottom. The way I know that is I estimated full buoyancy, 6 x 10 x 64 x (X) = 3800 lbs the weight of my car. It turns out X = 1 foot which is 12 inches. That's a fun equation to solve in ones head along the roadside in the pouring rain.

So in order for the body of my car to be lifted all the way up enough for the tires to still touch the bottom and still have enough traction, the floor boards would have to be about 6 inches under the water level. So for the water to be of a depth where the tires still touch bottom with enough force, (half the weight of the car), to still have some traction to resist currents, 6+7+6 = 19 inches. I rounded that down to a foot and a half for added safety margin.

Knowing that one cubic foot of water weighs 64 lbs is something I use all the time. It is a very useful constant to be aware of and have memorized if one is a sailor or a one owns a water well. Water pressure at depth can also be calculated using it. Or the amount of pressure a pump will need to develop in order to be able to lift water from a well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's amazing, and it requires one does ones roadside math correctly as well. :)

I drove through four spots which was exactly as bad as the one in the TV clip. The one in the clip was the last one.

I wasn't born yesterday and fording streams is not a new thing for me. It's what Fords are made for, although Dodge pickups cross rivers and streams fairly well too.

At each of those spots where water was flowing over the bridges I would pull off and watch other cars and trucks first to assess when it was time for me to proceed. And by then I would have the route plotted in my head to get through it after having considered currents and depth. Watching other cars is how I knew where and how the currents were affecting the cars.

When I drove through those spots they were all exactly the same insofar as depth because I was in essence measuring the depth before I tackled it, waiting for the waters to recede to the point it was safe for my car. I measured the depth by watching other cars with the same sized tires as my car had, watching for how high the water was in comparison to the tire height. The maximum safe depth for my car in moderate current is 1 1/2 feet. I had to worry about that because my car would float.

Floating is bad. One never needs to worry about that with a Ford pickup when fording streams. They leaked so badly that if one drove into water deeper than the floor boards ones feet would be standing in water almost instantly, and because of that a Ford simply would not float. That means they were ideal for fording rivers and streams when I was growing up.

We had a Dodge because Henry was such an anti-Semite we wouldn't own one of the bastards pickups. It leaked pretty good too. One time I got in a bit too deep when fording the Dolores River just west of the town of Dolores. The way I figured that out was I had water up to my crotch, it was cold. That ford is now at the bottom of a lake, they built a dam down stream of that county road ford. So it's gone now. :(

My car's clearance, the height of the floor boards is about 7 inches. But as the car is lifted the tires descend on the springs about 6 more inches. If the floor boards get a foot under the water level the car would car have the buoyancy to completely float free of the bottom. The way I know that is I estimated full buoyancy, 6 x 10 x 64 x (X) = 3800 lbs the weight of my car. It turns out X = 1 foot which is 12 inches. That's a fun equation to solve in ones head along the roadside in the pouring rain.

So in order for the body of my car to be lifted all the way up enough for the tires to still touch the bottom and still have enough traction, the floor boards would have to be about 6 inches under the water level. So for the water to be of a depth where the tires still touch bottom with enough force, (half the weight of the car), to still have some traction to resist currents, 6+7+6 = 19 inches. I rounded that down to a foot and a half for added safety margin.

Knowing that one cubic foot of water weighs 64 lbs is something I use all the time. It is a very useful constant to be aware of and have memorized if one is a sailor or a one owns a water well. Water pressure at depth can also be calculated using it. Or the amount of pressure a pump will need to develop in order to be able to lift water from a well.

I don't trust water nor do I trust a car's ability to drive through a flooded area so if need be I'll stay away from the area even if that means waiting hours for the water to subside. There's really nothing that I'll risk my life for just to get to the other side of a flooded street.