RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

.....maybe the better question is did you ever have a meeting that wasn't like this.

This week I leased my equipment to a different outfit and had to attend two days of orientation meeting. Which took three days because some asshole kept asking stupid questions. Which once answered he then proceeded to argue about the answer.

After day one I told my wife I was going to tell him to STFU but she who must be obeyed told me to keep my mouth shut. So to amuse myself and my two table mates I tallied it everytime he asked a question. I quit doing so once he hit 139.

Long story short he wound up failing his drug test and was let go. Unfortunately by the time the results came back all the meetings were over.

Anyway I know many of you folks have many meetings. Had one like this and how do you get the dumbass to hush up.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:55 am 
Board Emeritus

.....maybe the better question is did you ever have a meeting that wasn't like this.

This week I leased my equipment to a different outfit and had to attend two days of orientation meeting. Which took three days because some asshole kept asking stupid questions. Which once answered he then proceeded to argue about the answer.

After day one I told my wife I was going to tell him to STFU but she who must be obeyed told me to keep my mouth shut. So to amuse myself and my two table mates I tallied it everytime he asked a question. I quit doing so once he hit 139.

Long story short he wound up failing his drug test and was let go. Unfortunately by the time the results came back all the meetings were over.

Anyway I know many of you folks have many meetings. Had one like this and how do you get the dumbass to hush up.

It was smart of you to listen to "she who must be obeyed" (quote attributable to Horace Rumpole). There are couple of actions you could take.
1. Take him aside and calm explain him his questions are disrupting the meeting and to ask fewer questions or meet with the briefer(s) during a break or after the meeting to have his questions answered.

2. Ask the briefer(s) to talk to him privately.

3. Ask the briefer(s) to discourage questions by imposing a time limit for each phase of the meeting.

4. Have the briefer(s) hold all questions until the end of each phase of the meeting.

5. Tell the briefer(s) they need to take control of the meeting and not let the guy disrupt it.

From my experience, imposing a time limit on the meeting works best. I've led meetings where they start to wander and what I did was to announce in a loud, firm voice "MRA." Inevitably, someone would ask what "MRA" means and I'd answer "Moving Right Along." It works. I've even used it during meetings I wasn't leading and the person who was nodded with a smile thanking me for getting the meeting back on track.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:26 am 
Board Emeritus

You convince the one who ought to hush up that any outfit which allows two days of orientation meeting to turn into three days because some asshole kept asking stupid questions is no outfit to be leasing their equipment to.

Once the one who ought to hush up was convinced of that maybe they would allow you to leave.

Pretty soon the asshole who kept asking stupid questions would be there alone with the outfit which allowed two days of orientation meeting to turn into three days and they would deserve each other.

Maybe that asshole who kept asking stupid questions would share his drugs with the outfit which allowed two days of orientation meeting to turn into three days. It sounds like they need drugs, and after they had drugs maybe they wouldn't care that the asshole who kept asking stupid questions failed his drug test.

Everyone would be happy then. The End.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

While stationed in England in the late 80s, we had a clinic administrator, a major, who was a micromanager. I sat in for my OIC when he was gone and the major held meetings with his medial administrators twice a week lasting at least one and a half hours. He'd have each section administrator explain the status of the previous items they talked about previously, what new actions they planned to take, and he went way down into the weeds of each section wanting to know what was happening in each sub-section to the point of wanting to know when each airmen was taking leave, when they'd return, and who was covering for them while they were gone. Basically, he wasn't letting his people do their jobs and make decisions without his approval. Additionally, the major constantly pitted his officers against each other to the point the were publicly backstabbing each other.

After I returned to the States, I sat in on our hospital administrator's meeting, also a major, representing our OIC and I thought I was in a dream. The meeting was short, direct to the point, and all the administrative officers talked, acted like adults, and extended a hand to help each other. While there, I was able to catch a hop back to England and I visited friends who were still stationed there. They said the meetings went to three days a week for a minimum of two hours each and morale was in the pits. Everyone was waiting for the major to PCS (transfer) so they could regain some sense of normality.

The point I'm making is leadership. How a person handles their meetings is a good sign of how good a leader they are. A good leader does the following in a meeting:
1. They have a purpose for the meeting
2. They establish a time limit and sticks to it
3. They have an agenda and follows it
4. They establish an inviting environment fostering trust, honesty, and openness among the antendees
5. They manage disagreements without causing resentment among the meeting members
6. They deftly handle disruptors (questioners, meeting hoggers, etc.)
7. When the meeting ends, each participant leaves with a sense of purpose and/or accomplishment