The Critical Race Theory/so-called Cancel Culture Thread

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: The Critical Race Theory/so-called Cancel Culture Thread

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:34 amWhat is really arrogant is ignorant parents feeling they can dictate to educated teachers how to educate.
These same white-backlash types think their cis kids are more important than their peers' trans kids. They are even arrogant and ignorant enough to think they don't actually have trans or queer kids, themselves.

They also think their white-conservative feelings about a topic they've never read are supposed to dictate public school policy.

They are not the first generation of conservative whites to behave like this regarding public school education. JoeMemphis and Bluegreen Grass articulate the same exact position of these people's segregationist, Massive Resistance parents.

Virginia's "Massive Resistance" to School Desegregation - Digital Resources for US History, University of Virginia
Virginia took several decades to desegregate. The Brown decision was preceded by years of protest and litigation and followed by a long process of further resistance and slow change. In September 1960, just 170 out of 204,000 black students in Virginia were enrolled in white schools. By 1963, the situation, as reflected in the state's capital, was not much better-of the 26,000 black students in Richmond, only 312 were enrolled in 12 formerly all-white schools. In Prince Edward County, where public schools remained closed for five years, the situation was particularly difficult.

Virginia and other Southern states resisted desegregation through a wide array of tactics, especially the development of "freedom of choice" plans. It is not surprising that many black students chose to stay in their familiar schools rather than attend white schools. "Freedom of choice" plans perpetuated highly segregated school systems and brought only token integration. The 1964 Civil Rights Act, on the other hand, and the 1968 Supreme Court decision Green v. New Kent County, Va., helped to end these means of avoiding desegregation as schools across the South integrated gradually during the late 1960s and 1970s.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:42 am CRT is the right's new flat earth. It's not real. But racist hate sure sells to white people scared of blacks.

Congratulations. That's how you won the election. I'm sure you're proud.
I wasn’t running. I don’t live in VA. So I really didn’t win anything.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:46 am I saw this interview where one of these guys in VA was asked if he knew what CRT was. He said no, but he didn't agree with it.
Conservative whites are so intellectually dishonest, they can't even see the white backlash dripping from their own arguments.

It starts with this guy's level of intellectual dishonesty. Massive Resistance was also "a lesson in civics," as JoeMemphis calls this Virginia election.

That lesson did not end well for conservative whites, which is why they are like this in 2021.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:30 am I wasn’t running. I don’t live in VA. So I really didn’t win anything.
Read any CRT, yet?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

From Obama's birth certificate to QAnon to the tea party to defund the police to states rights to woke, conservative whites are very easy to exploit.

The Aristocrats Funding the Critical Race Theory ‘Backlash’ - Daily Beast
The movement may present itself with a local face, but many of its top advocacy groups are propped up by wealthy, well-connected backers—right down to the Koch connections.

In the immediate aftermath of Republican Glenn Youngkin’s Virginia governorship victory last week, many pundits credited an uprising against critical race theory as the key to the former Carlyle Group executive’s electoral success. But hardly anyone is talking about how critical race theory has largely been an “astroturf” issue created by GOP operatives with a backlash funded by billionaire donors.
Lol ok well, I am.

I'm also talking about the fact that every one of the Rs who won in Virginia are rabidly anti-LGBTQ. The two things go hand in hand.
The anti-CRT movement has descended with a vengeance this year into suburban school board meetings and Fox News programming. And while the movement may present itself with a local face, many of its most effective advocacy groups are propped up by wealthy, well-connected backers—right down to its connections to the billionaire Koch family.

The Daily Beast has identified eight recently created anti-CRT groups which operate at local levels across the country but bear ties to ideological right-wing aristocrats and political operatives. Their backers include former officials in Donald Trump’s administration, an executive at a notorious D.C. lobbying firm, as well as Koch entities and The Federalist Society.

In Virginia, one of the key leaders against critical race theory is Ian Prior. If Prior’s name sounds familiar, that’s because you may have been one of the tens of thousands of Americans to receive emails from Prior in one of his many different former roles: press secretary for the National Republican Congressional Committee, Justice Department official during the Trump administration, communications director for the Karl Rove super PAC American Crossroads, and now, a GOP operative behind two organizations that have inflamed attacks on so-called critical race theory in Virginia’s public schools.

Prior runs Fight for Schools, a state-level PAC which emerged this year to challenge educational decisions in Loudoun County and mobilize behind Youngkin. The candidate turned to Prior’s group for fundraising and voter outreach efforts, and state election disclosures show that the organization raised hundreds of thousands of dollars during the campaign
More in link.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:14 am From Obama's birth certificate to QAnon to the tea party to defund the police to states rights to woke, conservative whites are very easy to exploit.

The Aristocrats Funding the Critical Race Theory ‘Backlash’ - Daily Beast

Lol ok well, I am.

I'm also talking about the fact that every one of the Rs who won in Virginia are rabidly anti-LGBTQ. The two things go hand in hand.

More in link.
As I tweeted
250 Republicans out of 250 say no to the bill 70% of America wants, 248 out of 250 Democrats say yes, and what do Americans do in response? they punish the Democrats, we can’t survive this level of stupidity
We really wont survive if people are this stupid.
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Number6 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:34 pm Holding someone accountable for their actions isn't "cancel culture." It's holding someone accountable for their actions. "Cancel culture" is replacing "politically correct" as the go to excuse for not accepting personal responsibility for what they say or do.
Yes cancel culture, pc, woke, CRT, they're all euphemisms for "the blacks and the queers are coming for your stuff!"

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ZoWie »

> We really wont survive if people are this stupid.

They're not as much stupid as they are scared and gullible.

We will survive if we think farther outside the box as to what's scaring them and get as good at addressing their fears as the other side is at stoking them. For better or worse, 90% of current politics is all about who has the narrative that people respond to.
Last edited by ZoWie on Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:36 am They're not as much stupid as they are scared and gullible.
But there is a level of stupid, because even the cursory review of the issues of the day tells you to vote for dems or perish.

I said somewhere else that white people needed to "grow up" and got pushed back for that too...I respect your and others opinions but this is what I have concluded.

I have a family member, btw, who is 42 yrs old and a mother of 3 and medical professional who did not know who Hitler was and said "MLK Jr freed the slaves."

Oh and it doesn't help that the MSM gives cons a 10-1 advantage when it comes to representation and if Trump had accomplished what Joe just did there would be wall to wall Rose Garden ceremonies and ENDLESS stories in MSM about what an amazing accomplishment it was (listening to someone on Stephanie Miller today who said this and wow is it true.)
Last edited by Libertas on Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

One side has weaponized mass media. The other side needs to get hip or we are the fourth reich.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

I say, f. them and stop wasting time trying to appeal to them.

According to the NBC News exit polls, 57% of white women voted in these R's in Virginia. A lot like the police are beyond reform, a lot like the jobsandtheeconomy whites of 2016, these white backlash people are beyond reason and don't vote according to reason. It's a waste of time to try and reason with them. Plus, we don't need them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:39 am One side has weaponized mass media. The other side needs to get hip or we are the fourth reich.
Thanks, now some folks said this 5 yrs ago and they were yelled at, some folks includes me. But I will stop saying that I guess, anyway, yes they will KILL us if we dont comply. Or deport or imprison us, and I am going to live my life as if this is coming, or try to.

Just came back from a family funeral, not my family, 250 people in a fire department garage with a big open door on one end but only one end and I was one of three people wearing a mask...this is in red part of the state. VERY possible I or my wife or both of us now have Covid. Even though we are both vaccinated and boostered, I consider us at risk now.

I looked up the country, only 50% have at least one vaccine shot. Those fucking trumpers might have just killed me. Oh, and I avoided going to these family events for this very reason but I felt I had to go to this one DAMMIT :evil:
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:43 am I say, f. them and stop wasting time trying to appeal to them.

According to the NBC News exit polls, 57% of white women voted in these R's in Virginia. A lot like the police are beyond reform, a lot like the jobsandtheeconomy whites of 2016, these white backlash people are beyond reason and don't vote according to reason. It's a waste of time to try and reason with them. Plus, we don't need them.
Yeah, cuz either people are gonna wake up and do the right thing or the actual patriots, the actual decent people like you and me are in GRAVE danger. Sure they will imprison or worse you first, but you know...

If only a few years ago people...oops, I promised not to do that anymore, dammit.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The hard core faux addicts and Q true believers are unreachable and not the group that I have the least interest in. It's swaying the middle that wins elections in a divided country.

Simple things like masking and vaccines, and the kneejerk panic that many people feel upon being gently advised to take care of themselves and the society as a whole, are good indicators of where we are with regard to consideration of others. There's a lesson there too.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:39 am One side has weaponized mass media. The other side needs to get hip or we are the fourth reich.
Yes but Michelle said whitey and men in dresses are coming for women in the rest room.

Suddenly, concurrently, the same people are fearful that racism is being taught to their children?

Appeals to reason are a waste of time on people who believe like this.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:47 amIt's swaying the middle that wins elections in a divided country.
But this is not true at all. Over the past couple years, it hasn't been the swaying middle in Orange County, which is now light blue, nor the middle in Arizona that won that state. It's the foundation of the swing state strategy of the 90s-00s, the DLC, blue doggery, and other rightwing nutjobbery in the D party.

Thankfully, there aren't that many Blue Dogs even left, not as lawmakers of consequence, anyway. Those strategies have been rejected by liberal young people and other demographic shifts.
Simple things like masking and vaccines, and the kneejerk panic that many people feel upon being gently advised to take care of themselves and the society as a whole, are good indicators of where we are with regard to consideration of others. There's a lesson there too.
Can't appeal to irrational people with reason, is all I'm saying.

It's a waste of time. To me, that's the lesson.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ZoWie »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:53 am
Can't appeal to irrational people with reason, is all I'm saying.

It's a waste of time. To me, that's the lesson.
Control of the media narrative seemed to make a difference in Virginia. Nobody came up with a counter to the lies regarding CRT. This has been shown by polling to be the big difference in that state. Hell, the Democratic candidate for governor responded by saying that he didn't care what schools told children. It made intellectual sense but as discourse it was like declaring that he ate the children. Democrats shoot themselves in the foot over and over.

And I said nothing about reasoning with scared people. Psychology is more complicated than that. The left fails exactly when it tries to "enlighten" people as opposed to learning from the accomplishments of other political groups who have found the resonance for their message that the left never seems to find.
Last edited by ZoWie on Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:46 am Sure they will imprison or worse you first, ...
I'm not going anywhere.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:58 am Control of the media narrative seemed to make a difference in Virginia. Nobody came up with a counter to the lies regarding CRT. This has been shown by polling to be the big difference in that state. Hell, the Democratic candidate for governor responded by saying that he didn't care what schools told children. It made intellectual sense but as discourse it was like declaring that he ate the children. Democrats shoot themselves in the foot over and over.

And I said nothing about reasoning with scared people. Psychology is more complicated than that. The left fails exactly when it tries to "enlighten" people as opposed to learning from the accomplishments of other political groups who have found the resonance for their message that the left never seems to find.
I agree there is a huge messaging problem BECAUSE there is still that 20% in the middle who arent informed enough to know that every single thing a con does hurts them greatly, every single thing a dem does helps them. That there is about 25 million people who will vote who dont know this who are open to voting for either party. It is why I have so little hope.

That anyone could be OPEN TO VOTING for either party at this point is the PROOF that we are broken and that this group of people simply dont care enough to pay attention.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:58 amNobody came up with a counter to the lies regarding CRT.
That's because nobody is honest about what this vote is about, which is white backlash.

Anyone in doubt can look at that 57% stat for white women and measure it against the white women vote in any other election.

White backlash is all these CRT and trans-girls-on-the-sports-team freakouts are about -- I've said this almost daily for the past year. In this particular state, this behavior has a very specific history that they're drawing from.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:05 pm It is why I have so little hope.
It's actually why I have a lot of hope. These people are the wrong focus. Appealing to conservatives with conservatism is not just a time-waster, it's just pandering.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:58 amAnd I said nothing about reasoning with scared people.
They're not scared people any more than jobsandtheeconomy Trumpers who think Michelle said whitey, are. They're insurrectionists, states righters, and general-issue white backlashers.
Last edited by carmenjonze on Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ZoWie »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:07 pm That's because nobody is honest about what this vote is about, which is white backlash.

Anyone in doubt can look at that 57% stat for white women and measure it against the white women vote in any other election.

White backlash is all these CRT and trans-girls-on-the-sports-team freakouts are about -- I've said this almost daily for the past year. In this particular state, this behavior has a very specific history that they're drawing from.
I agree with you on this.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:09 pm It's actually why I have a lot of hope. These people are the wrong focus. Appealing to conservatives with conservatism is not just a time-waster, it's just pandering.
I want to believe that, but if the MSM doesnt stop coddling them in fear of being called "liberal", I see it like a steam roller, add in FB and so on.

But I want to believe.

Just like I want to believe Garland will do his job an indict Bannon, but I will bet money he wont.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:12 pm They're not scared people. They're insurrectionists, states righters, and general-issue white backlashers.
That's not the group I was referring to. They know why they say what they say, and their minds are made up. It's the other people, in this case those swing voters who were concerned about the poor performance of the educational system for whatever reason (covid being among them). The evidence shows that they responded to a sexy explanation for same that had everything going for it except the tiniest content of true information. It was the 2020s version of riding through the streets at night wearing hoods and carrying torches. We need better responses to such appeals to fear than trying to look detached and saying well, it doesn't matter what they tell kids in school.