GoU Rising... What? Again?

Introduce Yourself! Reintroduce Yourself!

Let's get to know each other...

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

gounion
Board Emeritus

GoU Rising... What? Again?

Post by gounion »

Hey everyone!

I was informed that my return has been requested (well, at least by a few folks...) Heh heh. Glad to see Glenn is back, and thought it might be time to return myself. I'd like to see the board grow a bit, and maybe get a few more conservatives.

I'm writing this down here because it IS about me, and not things of interest to others. If you don't want to hear it, you've been warned. We can talk current events and politics elsewhere. But I know a few people will be interested.

Things have been interesting for me, like everyone else in the time of COVID. My wife and I have been staying as safe as possible, not going out except to my office and to get groceries. We don't even eat out any more, and man I miss it! Our office is well set up for social distancing, our cleaning crew has been enhanced, and our safety protocols are quite stringent, and I'm proud of us, we haven't had a case yet.

But our union, like everything else, has been affected, with lots of layoffs among our membership. So, we had to cut back too, and I am taking an early retirement. I will be retired effective January 1 of next year. While I was - at first - upset about it, not wanting to leave with so much undone (I was planning to go in 2025 at 65), but this is for the best, to save a younger person's job. Now that I made the decision, I'm VERY excited, and can't wait. 'Cause I've got plans!

As some of you know, I've been protective of my true identity, because my PERSONAL opinion here could be used against me and my union. But that soon will no longer matter. I will reveal some now, and come January I won't give a shit who knows who I am! Let's just say I've got a pretty high-level job at a major union, and a few years ago, I moved from Texas to the DC area for a promotion that has kept me very busy. I love it here in DC, but it's an expensive place to live, and never really felt like home. But our nation's capital is one of the most beautiful areas in America.

So we're moving to a town not far from Nashville, TN over the Christmas holiday. We're now having a house built, and we're very excited.

I'm a lucky person, having had a union job most of my life, so I have savings and a pension, and I can retire comfortably at 61. Sadly, I may be part of the last generation where someone can say that.

My wife and I have talked for several years about what to do when I retire, and we had several options, but had made no decision. Well, we had to make one really quickly! We thought about the RV thing, but I decided that they are too much trouble, and as I get older, driving and setting up could start to be a hassle.

I've always hated it that I didn't go to college after high school. But I didn't do that well in high school since I was drinking and partying waaaaay too much, and wasn't ready, Everyone was so unhappy with me, I was plenty intelligent but didn't apply myself. So I went to work in the aircraft plant instead. Went to the school of hard knocks, as it were. Best thing that ever happened to me. A good union job gave me the structure I needed and the good pay gave me the self-respect and my natural drive to succeed too over.

Well, I certainly can't complain, I've done AT LEAST as well in life as a person with a degree, but it's not a degree I wished I had got. I love to LEARN, always have, never stopped learning new things in my life. Plus, all the things that college life has to offer (well, except for booze, drugs and sex, not at my age!) - music, theater, lectures and going to all the football and basketball games!

So I decided that's what I wanted - to go to college! And I will, well, as soon as I can get a vaccine that works. Hopefully the fall semester 2021. It's a great four-year school with all the trimmings!

In Tennessee I can go to school and audit courses for $25 a semester! No credit, but again, I don't want a degree, I want to keep busy, have great experiences and learn! I'm going to take whatever sounds like interesting and stimulating. Going to look at some computer graphics, history, things like that. That's what college should be - not job training, but LEARNING. A "liberal" education - which doesn't mean turning you into a democrat, but a rounded education that is about learning and most important, THINKING. I think too many kids go to college to set themselves up for a career, and don't even learn about that - they figure out how to pass the courses with as little learning as possible.

Oh, not every one. But I know many people who say they were either studying and working towards that degree, and didn't get to enjoy the college life. Well, I'm going to get that liberal education!

I'm sure ProfX will be happy with my choice of what to do with my retirement!

I'll also contact the local Dems and do some volunteering. I'll also do some traveling, and just enjoy life. I guess I'll be hanging around here as well!

I've also learned a lot of cooking while COVID raged, but we're in an apartment, which cramps my style. I plan to build an outdoor kitchen and do some serious cooking!

It's nice to open up a bit, always hated to keep secrets. A few of you knew about me, heck, I got to meet Number 6 a year or so ago when I went to San Diego for business. A truly great guy to sit and have a beer with. But I always laughed at the conservatives who were just sure I was this failure in life who was just a keyboard kommando. Nope, I was involved and making a huge difference both in business and politics. I was never one to stand on the sidelines.

And that's what I ask each and every one of you - this is the most important election in our lifetimes. Don't sit on the sidelines!

More later!

JoeMemphis
Board Emeritus

Re: GoU Rising... What? Again?

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:09 pm
Hey everyone!

I was informed that my return has been requested (well, at least by a few folks...) Heh heh. Glad to see Glenn is back, and thought it might be time to return myself. I'd like to see the board grow a bit, and maybe get a few more conservatives.

I'm writing this down here because it IS about me, and not things of interest to others. If you don't want to hear it, you've been warned. We can talk current events and politics elsewhere. But I know a few people will be interested.

Things have been interesting for me, like everyone else in the time of COVID. My wife and I have been staying as safe as possible, not going out except to my office and to get groceries. We don't even eat out any more, and man I miss it! Our office is well set up for social distancing, our cleaning crew has been enhanced, and our safety protocols are quite stringent, and I'm proud of us, we haven't had a case yet.

But our union, like everything else, has been affected, with lots of layoffs among our membership. So, we had to cut back too, and I am taking an early retirement. I will be retired effective January 1 of next year. While I was - at first - upset about it, not wanting to leave with so much undone (I was planning to go in 2025 at 65), but this is for the best, to save a younger person's job. Now that I made the decision, I'm VERY excited, and can't wait. 'Cause I've got plans!

As some of you know, I've been protective of my true identity, because my PERSONAL opinion here could be used against me and my union. But that soon will no longer matter. I will reveal some now, and come January I won't give a shit who knows who I am! Let's just say I've got a pretty high-level job at a major union, and a few years ago, I moved from Texas to the DC area for a promotion that has kept me very busy. I love it here in DC, but it's an expensive place to live, and never really felt like home. But our nation's capital is one of the most beautiful areas in America.

So we're moving to a town not far from Nashville, TN over the Christmas holiday. We're now having a house built, and we're very excited.

I'm a lucky person, having had a union job most of my life, so I have savings and a pension, and I can retire comfortably at 61. Sadly, I may be part of the last generation where someone can say that.

My wife and I have talked for several years about what to do when I retire, and we had several options, but had made no decision. Well, we had to make one really quickly! We thought about the RV thing, but I decided that they are too much trouble, and as I get older, driving and setting up could start to be a hassle.

I've always hated it that I didn't go to college after high school. But I didn't do that well in high school since I was drinking and partying waaaaay too much, and wasn't ready, Everyone was so unhappy with me, I was plenty intelligent but didn't apply myself. So I went to work in the aircraft plant instead. Went to the school of hard knocks, as it were. Best thing that ever happened to me. A good union job gave me the structure I needed and the good pay gave me the self-respect and my natural drive to succeed too over.

Well, I certainly can't complain, I've done AT LEAST as well in life as a person with a degree, but it's not a degree I wished I had got. I love to LEARN, always have, never stopped learning new things in my life. Plus, all the things that college life has to offer (well, except for booze, drugs and sex, not at my age!) - music, theater, lectures and going to all the football and basketball games!

So I decided that's what I wanted - to go to college! And I will, well, as soon as I can get a vaccine that works. Hopefully the fall semester 2021. It's a great four-year school with all the trimmings!

In Tennessee I can go to school and audit courses for $25 a semester! No credit, but again, I don't want a degree, I want to keep busy, have great experiences and learn! I'm going to take whatever sounds like interesting and stimulating. Going to look at some computer graphics, history, things like that. That's what college should be - not job training, but LEARNING. A "liberal" education - which doesn't mean turning you into a democrat, but a rounded education that is about learning and most important, THINKING. I think too many kids go to college to set themselves up for a career, and don't even learn about that - they figure out how to pass the courses with as little learning as possible.

Oh, not every one. But I know many people who say they were either studying and working towards that degree, and didn't get to enjoy the college life. Well, I'm going to get that liberal education!

I'll also contact the local Dems and do some volunteering. I'll also do some traveling, and just enjoy life. I guess I'll be hanging around here as well!

I've also learned a lot of cooking while COVID raged, but we're in an apartment, which cramps my style. I plan to build an outdoor kitchen and do some serious cooking!

It's nice to open up a bit, always hated to keep secrets. A few of you knew about me, heck, I got to meet Number 6 a year or so ago when I went to San Diego for business. A truly great guy to sit and have a beer with. But I always laughed at the conservatives who were just sure I was this failure in life who was just a keyboard kommando. Nope, I was involved and making a huge difference both in business and politics. I was never one to stand on the sidelines.

And that's what I ask each and every one of you - this is the most important election in our lifetimes. Don't sit on the sidelines!

More later!
Hey GoU

Nice to have you back. You will like The Nashville area. Except for the traffic. Especially the traffic. It’s a very 20/30 something area but I am sure you will keep them on their toes.

Good to hear you are back in Gods country. Now I will have someone’s vote to cancel.

What college are you planning to attend?

Anyway. Best of luck. Stay safe. Travel safe.

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote:
Hey everyone!

More later!
Never give up. :)

Being a year into retirement.........Don't expect what you desire at work to happen in retirement.

Enjoy it.

It's nice to read ya.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers

gounion
Board Emeritus

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:25 pm
Hey GoU

Nice to have you back. You will like The Nashville area. Except for the traffic. Especially the traffic. It’s a very 20/30 something area but I am sure you will keep them on their toes.

Good to hear you are back in Gods country. Now I will have someone’s vote to cancel.

What college are you planning to attend?

Anyway. Best of luck. Stay safe. Travel safe.
Middle Tennessee State. Now that you know that, the name of my town is easy to figure. I love Tennessee. It's always been on of my favorites in the south. Spent a lot of time here over the years. And Nashville IS one of the best cities in the nation. Especially if you like music, which I do. And I'm a bluegrass nut.

And yeah, you might have a vote to cancel, but I'll be actively working to grow the party in Tennessee. I mean, Texas is about to fall to the Dems... The south is not so solidly GOP anymore... :twisted:

Thanks for the welcome.

gounion
Board Emeritus

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:31 pm
Never give up. :)

Being a year into retirement.........Don't expect what you desire at work to happen in retirement.

Enjoy it.

It's nice to read ya.
Interesting thought, Bradman...

Yeah, I was a man on a mission, in a union with a mission. Hard driving. But it's been a tough twenty-plus years. A grind.

Once it's over, my wants and needs are changed. I want to enjoy life, learn, grow. I plan to actively refrain from anything that looks like a job. I know that people and groups would like me to take charge of this or that. Nope. And I don't have to be a greeter at Walmart, no part-time job wanted.

I'm going to keep active, do some volunteer work, and also set out in the backyard, have a beer and watch the brisket cook. I will NOT be bored.

JoeMemphis
Board Emeritus

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:38 pm
Middle Tennessee State. Now that you know that, the name of my town is easy to figure. I love Tennessee. It's always been on of my favorites in the south. Spent a lot of time here over the years. And Nashville IS one of the best cities in the nation. Especially if you like music, which I do. And I'm a bluegrass nut.

And yeah, you might have a vote to cancel, but I'll be actively working to grow the party in Tennessee. I mean, Texas is about to fall to the Dems... The south is not so solidly GOP anymore... :twisted:

Thanks for the welcome.
I used to skydive around there in my college days. A place called Eagleville. I was thru there a couple of years ago in a place called Wartrace. I had to see a man about a dog. I bought a border terrier (my wife thinks it’s a border terrorist) from the only breeder I could find in 500 miles.

Check out the Bluebird Cafe near Vanderbilt. I don’t know if it’s still operating during the pandemic but it’s one of my favorite singer songwriter venues in Nashville. I saw my first act there in the Summer of 1981. Yep. We are roughly the same age. I probably look younger.

Another place to check out is The Listening Room. It’s downtown and a little newer club. Also singer songwriter club. I envy you. Nashville is a great place to hang. I am sure you will like it. Lots of conservatives for you to convert. Do try to be nice.

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:43 pm

Yeah, I was a man on a mission, in a union with a mission. Hard driving. But it's been a tough twenty-plus years. A grind.

Once it's over, my wants and needs are changed. I want to enjoy life, learn, grow. I plan to actively refrain from anything that looks like a job. I know that people and groups would like me to take charge of this or that. Nope. And I don't have to be a greeter at Walmart, no part-time job wanted.

I'm going to keep active, do some volunteer work, and also set out in the backyard, have a beer and watch the brisket cook. I will NOT be bored.
Once i realized i couldn't whip the family into shape like i did on the job.......Things got so much better.

As my better half once said.......ya worked hard for this, you might want think about how to enjoy it.

A simple beer and a burger with family can be a wonderful thing.

After that, consider the rest a hobby.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers

Doremus Jessup
Policy Wonk

Post by Doremus Jessup »

gounion wrote:
Hey everyone!

More later!

Embrace it! I’ve been retired for 15 years and friends said not working would kill me. Boy were they wrong. And you are about to experience quite possibly the finest Ham in the world. “The Hamery”. First experienced it at “Husk” in Charleston. It is simply the best. Best of luck in whatever you do. But you really have to try the ham.

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:43 pm

Take your time to unwind before jumping into anything like college or volunteering. During your working life your job defined who you were and when you retire you're identity will change and you'll have to figure out who you are. I've been retired for 17 years and I always told people I'd be found dead at my work because I liked working. Upon retirement, I found I liked not working and I don't want my time or where I have to be or what I have to do to be determined by someone else. As my namesake said in The Prisoner: I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Good to have you back gou.
When you vote Left you vote right.

gounion
Board Emeritus

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:14 am
Take your time to unwind before jumping into anything like college or volunteering. During your working life your job defined who you were and when you retire you're identity will change and you'll have to figure out who you are. I've been retired for 17 years and I always told people I'd be found dead at my work because I liked working. Upon retirement, I found I liked not working and I don't want my time or where I have to be or what I have to do to be determined by someone else. As my namesake said in The Prisoner: I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Good to have you back gou.
Thanks everyone! There seems to be a pattern here to the advice from the retirees...

I have a lot of retired friends. And NOT ONE of them have said "Don't do it! Keep working!" :rw) :rw) :rw)

My ego isn't the sort that my job and title defines me. Some folks define themselves by what they do, and when that's taken away, they feel lost. I don't feel that way. I look forward to walking away. Some comedian made a joke about it years ago. "Women have all kinds of options," he said. "They can stay home they can work part time they can work full time" Okay, it's sexist, but hold with me here. "Men can either work... or go to jail". I've always worked because I never won the lottery, so I didn't have an option.

But I've worked at jobs - or more often, at tasks I didn't enjoy in those jobs. You rent your life out doing things you wouldn't do if you didn't need the money to live. I am an exception because for twenty years I've had a job where I am making life better for working people, which was a calling. But the principle is similar, and I'm done renting my life. From here on out, it's MY LIFE, and I'll do what I please!

I'll have to have time to unwind and not jump into things. The virus has done that. I'm not getting out until my wife and I are vaccinated with an effective vaccine. I don't foresee that until the second quarter of next year at best. My overall health is pretty good, but because of past issues (in 2013 I got pneumonia in the hospital after surgery and was down with it for nearly two months) my doctor tells me I'm high risk. My wife has a number of health issues that put her there too. So we will be in basic quarantine until then.

So that would put starting college in fall 2021 at the earliest.

When I do start college, I'm only going to take a couple of classes, not starting before noon. :D

I want to be able to sleep in. Hell, I love naps NOW! I always take one on the weekend. Like now, I wake at 5:30 because that's when I get up during the week. But I'll take a nap today. And I'm NOT going to take volunteering and turn it into a new job. Nope. Like the county dem party - When I get a vaccine, I may go to monthly meetings or gatherings. If they have something going on I might volunteer once in a while. Not going to be tied to a schedule or taking on a job where I HAVE to attending meetings or do things.

I love to read, I love to do what I'm doing now, hanging out and writing. As Washington says in the musical Hamilton, I want that vine and fig tree to sit under (figuratively). Now, my days are filled with a schedule of meetings (or now zoom calls) and all kinds of things to do. I'm tired of that, and that's going away.

I just want to not fall into sitting around bored where I'm not enjoying life anymore, just vegetating. Nope, going to get out, make friends, do things that I enjoy, and NOT do things that look or sound like work. Plan to go to some Packer games with jdogg. Take in some plays, lectures that interest me. And if I'm lazy that day, well, just fine.

My wife seems to think that I'll take to retired life very well!
Last edited by gounion on Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

gounion wrote:
Howdy GoU, maybe I'll tell you my joke about how remote teaching is a bit like conducting a seance.

Ehhh, it's crossed my feeds a couple times. :mrgreen:
-- Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
Malaclypse the Younger

gounion
Board Emeritus

Post by gounion »

ProfessorX wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:00 pm
Howdy GoU, maybe I'll tell you my joke about how remote teaching is a bit like conducting a seance.

Ehhh, it's crossed my feeds a couple times. :mrgreen:
Tell me do you wear pants when Zoom teaching? :rw)

When I can get the vaccine, I'm looking forward to being a college student and soaking in the college life. Music, theater, lectures and sports.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

gounion wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:32 am
Tell me do you wear pants when Zoom teaching? :rw)
Well, it gets tricky, gotta make sure I don't accidentally tilt the webcam down. :mrgreen:

Gotta remember whether I'm remote teaching or heading to OnlyFans. :D I kid, I kid.

I will say I do wear shorts, which of course I would never teach in person in. :D
-- Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
Malaclypse the Younger

plunderer
Site Admin

Post by plunderer »

Welcome back, my friend!

-P

gounion
Board Emeritus

Post by gounion »

plunderer wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:39 pm
Welcome back, my friend!

-P
Thanks Plun!

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

I'm really glad you're back, GoU.

gounion
Board Emeritus

Post by gounion »

ZoWie wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:55 pm
I'm really glad you're back, GoU.
Thanks, Zowie! It's been a while. But life is good. Hope things are well with you.

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

Things are as good as can be expected in 2020, thanks.

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

plunderer wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:39 pm
Welcome back, my friend!

-P
...to the show that never ends.

Glad you're back, GoU!

Stop calling the cops on us.

gounion
Board Emeritus

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:13 am
...to the show that never ends.

Glad you're back, GoU!
And now I'm humming that tune! Thanks, Carmen, good to see you too!