EARTH....

News and events of the day
Number6

Re: EARTH....

Post by Number6 »

Giant Corpse Plant blossoms in California.
The bloom of the Amorphophallus titanum plant began Sunday afternoon at the San Diego Botanic Gardens in Encinitas. By Monday morning, timed-entry tickets had sold out, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

More than 5,000 people were expected to visit the garden by Tuesday evening.

The bloom of the “corpse plant” lasts just 48 hours and during its peak it emits a putrid odor of rotting flesh to attract carrion beetles and flesh flies that help its pollination process.

The blooming flower’s “rotting corpse smell that was so thick and heavy you could cut it with a knife,” said John Connors, horticulture manager for the San Diego Botanic Gardens.
AP News
When you vote left, you vote right.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Number6 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:10 pm Giant Corpse Plant blossoms in California.
Interesting coincidence.

:)

Five days ago I posted a photo of one of those flowers in the Vaccine thread: viewtopic.php?p=1012#p1012

It's also called a Rafflesia

Number6

Post by Number6 »

The longest lunar eclipse this century will take place on November 19th and will be visible throughout the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. The eclipse will take place in the early morning hours between 2:19 a.m. and 5:47 a.m ET and last 3 hours and 28 minutes. Ninety-seven percent of the moon will be eclipsed and will appear red.
During the early hours of November 19, Earth will pass between the sun and moon, casting a shadow over the latter. The eclipse will peak just after 4 a.m. ET, when our planet will hide 97% of the full moon from the sun's light, giving the moon a reddish hue.

For the upcoming eclipse, sky watchers in North America have the best seats in the house. People in all 50 US states, Canada, and Mexico can watch the full event.

MSN
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

i dont know where to post 'daily issues' now, so, i guess here. dunno.

ive not been catching much news of late, weather is super normal..for now...so being out in it is good.
what i hear of news is the SOS we've all heard for decades: grown white men arguing on TV over who gets the money.
yawn. beyond that they dont seem to do much.

socials innernets rw'rs...all making shit up passing it around to freak the fans out---thanks bannon---and control the
airwaves with their insane bullshit intending to destroy the country the democracy, the same "constitution" they so
adored a few years back during Tparty daze. now that document doesnt seem to matter.

the mass of humans who believe the shit on innernet..yah They are making themselves crazy insane. They are doing it.
surely they know better and obviously, now, they do not give a fuck so they keep ingesting the moronic fantasies of strangers typing.

im still bumping into humans not vaccd who also dont have a clue how to ask a dog to "sit".
i back away from idiot stupid humans and move along.

thanks for the note on the looming eclipse.
i dislike november and december intensely but that will add some interest. :)
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Rain this thread is where I post daily issues so I think it would be a good place for you to post them here as well. Most of our daily issues tend to be related to the nature of our world after all.

I have a nature story for today. An indoor house cat came to our house and moved in this morning . A young female Manx. She was starving and clearly had been out and one her own for at least three or four days. She hadn't been grooming herself well having been trapped out of doors.

She purred for three hours without a pause. Generally seeming to be overjoyed to have found a home. She won't leave our side. Once she got into the house she has not gone near the door to go back out.

She's healthy, but has worms, and had one tick, but no fleas. No neighbors are missing a cat so I guess we've been formally adopted.

She says her name is Gwen.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

sam lefthand wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:54 pm Rain this thread is where I post daily issues so I think it would be a good place for you to post them here as well. Most of our daily issues tend to be related to the nature of our world after all.

I have a nature story for today. An indoor house cat came to our house and moved in this morning . A young female Manx. She was starving and clearly had been out and one her own for at least three or four days. She hadn't been grooming herself well having been trapped out of doors.

She purred for three hours without a pause. Generally seeming to be overjoyed to have found a home. She won't leave our side. Once she got into the house she has not gone near the door to go back out.

She's healthy, but has worms, and had one tick, but no fleas. No neighbors are missing a cat so I guess we've been formally adopted.

She says her name is Gwen.
hi gwen, glad ya found a cool new home. :mrgreen: :D

Daisy and i hiked along the top of the near empty reservoir where Pinions still look healthy, mostly, hardly any corpses
and lots of new growth. that was a surprize since across the res on the other side the pinions are all Dead. gone.

the water level is so low next time we shall walk across the bottom of the once water filled reservoir.
the weeds are down and the ground is...dry.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

rainwater wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:46 pm hi gwen, glad ya found a cool new home. :mrgreen: :D

Daisy and i hiked along the top of the near empty reservoir where Pinions still look healthy, mostly, hardly any corpses
and lots of new growth. that was a surprize since across the res on the other side the pinions are all Dead. gone.

the water level is so low next time we shall walk across the bottom of the once water filled reservoir.
the weeds are down and the ground is...dry.
Thank Rain, I'll tell Gwen you said hi.

Say hi to Daisy for me.

:D
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

sam lefthand wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:52 pm Thank Rain, I'll tell Gwen you said hi.

Say hi to Daisy for me.

has Daisy already been in your house checked all your storage, bowls, plates, boxes, beds, chairs and garbage???

yah she tends to do that Every chance she gets. :mrgreen:
HST.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

rainwater wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:23 pm has Daisy already been in your house checked all your storage, bowls, plates, boxes, beds, chairs and garbage???

yah she tends to do that Every chance she gets. :mrgreen:
Yah forgot she always checks the spring, that porcelain thing.

;) :)
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Our cat loves to watch the youtube, we stick to the birds mostly because the squirrels and other animals gets a re-action because it looks bigger than it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSGXziyeHlE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD7ftcBTAbI
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Motor City wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:33 pm Our cat loves to watch the youtube, we stick to the birds mostly because the squirrels and other animals gets a re-action because it looks bigger than it is.

That's interesting, an 8 hour pet movie to turn on for a pet while one goes off to work.

marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Motor City wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:33 pm Our cat loves to watch the youtube, we stick to the birds mostly because the squirrels and other animals gets a re-action because it looks bigger than it is.

Our cat loves to watch birds first thing in morning. We turn on the TV, turn on YOUTUBE and find her birds to watch. After about an hour she goes to sleep.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

Notice the slice of moon and Venus tonite. way cool.

that moon slice was Not visible around 3pm today.

Daisy wont watch tv. she either sleeps in her window bed or she lies outside or she runs when we hike and walk.
thats it. thats what she does. oh she eats 2x day too.
then...at someone elses place she will rummage thru whatever she can reach and round up all the toys place them
in a pile.

shes a spoiled brat but damn shes a Great hiking dog. she walks off 30-40 ft and turns around to find me.
good dog!
she also...sleeps in. no rush for outside in the morning. that is nice. i can get up to pee but shell keep sleeping.
you cant imagine how nice that is not having to jump up do doors and chow first thing. :mrgreen: :D :)
HST.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

rainwater wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:45 pm Notice the slice of moon and Venus tonite. way cool.

that moon slice was Not visible around 3pm today.

Daisy wont watch tv. she either sleeps in her window bed or she lies outside or she runs when we hike and walk.
thats it. thats what she does. oh she eats 2x day too.
then...at someone elses place she will rummage thru whatever she can reach and round up all the toys place them
in a pile.

shes a spoiled brat but damn shes a Great hiking dog. she walks off 30-40 ft and turns around to find me.
good dog!
she also...sleeps in. no rush for outside in the morning. that is nice. i can get up to pee but shell keep sleeping.
you cant imagine how nice that is not having to jump up do doors and chow first thing. :mrgreen: :D :)
Daisy sounds like a good happy dog.

Our dog has been gone for a year now. I'm substituting den of coyotes out in the yard for having a dog at the moment. It's kind of nice and most certainly different to have coyotes around who will allow one to occasionally see them. And not fade into invisibility like they were magic the moment one does happen to capture a rare glimpse.

I don't get to walk up to them and pet them. But I do get to see them once in a while at play for a few minutes. They will look at me and I will look at them. They don't run and hide the moment that happens.

They like the supplemental food I give them. But they always stay beyond arms reach. I think they like it that I have never tried to push into their space or try to touch them.

If I got a new dog that would end my association with the coyotes immediately. They would go back to disappearing like magic the moment I stepped out into the yard.

They are very dog like but they are not entirely like dogs. Like a donkey isn't quite a horse.

:|

I have come to suspect Gwen is pregnant. She's facing a visit to the Vet.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

sam lefthand wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:25 am That's interesting, an 8 hour pet movie to turn on for a pet while one goes off to work.

Well cats sleep like 17 hours a day so they will be sleeping through most of it but they seem to appreciate it.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

Our dog has been gone for a year now. I'm substituting den of coyotes out in the yard for having a dog at the moment. It's kind of nice and most certainly different to have coyotes around who will allow one to occasionally see them. And not fade into invisibility like they were magic the moment one does happen to capture a rare glimpse.

I don't get to walk up to them and pet them. But I do get to see them once in a while at play for a few minutes. They will look at me and I will look at them. They don't run and hide the moment that happens.
NO!!...dont ever take their wild from them. wild animals dont pet each other.
wild animals dont know what "human" is...to them we're just another stinky animal. a noisy one.

my wild horses didnt "think"..'oh here comes that human'. to them im just another animal walking toward them.
once they like me feel safe with me then we are sharing the earth space. that is all. and yes they wanted contact.
when a wild horse wants me to touch them they will come to me and let me touch them.
if im impatient i will chase them with choppers and force them to give up their remaining open space.

your coyotes are sharing space with you.
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

wild animals relate to you the animal by sensing your calmness. an odor for them.

those who chase mustangs...get nowhere fast. oh they may capture them but they have Not won anything but fear.
thats like teaching, or, letting a horse "buck it out".

yah. thats the LAST thing i want a horse let alone a wild horse, do for me.
why would i teach a horse to buck? why would i encourage that.

thats bullshit from old men and shows like Yellowstone which is Not helping ranch life, or animals.

being outside, watching wild life...thats the human part. appreciating what you are seeing, and sharing.
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

snow is melting so fast off the tops of the Rockies the rivers are running fuller than in months.
...and that is not saying much.

its very noticeable how south slope snow is..gone. some snow still on north slopes.

i have flowers blooming outside. new blooms on summer flower plants. flowering in November.

k.
HST.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Australia Trying To Save Its Coral Reefs.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countr ... ate-change

When Peter Harrison logs into a virtual meeting room one morning to discuss his life's work, he is doing so while in the field. He is on a research vessel near Hook Island, one of the Whitsunday Islands off the coast of Queensland, Australia. He is taking a break from doing yet another coral restoration experiment on the Great Barrier Reef.

Just days later, officials from around the world would convene in Glasgow, Scotland, for a United Nations summit to discuss the broader crisis that necessitates work like Harrison's: climate change.

"Like all reefs around the world, the Great Barrier Reef is under increasing pressure – and primarily from human impacts," says Harrison, a distinguished professor and director of the Marine Ecology Research Centre at Southern Cross University.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

In the 1960s, London's Thames River was thought to be biologically "dead." Today, it's home to 115 species of fish, 92 species of birds, and even venomous sharks.
On Wednesday, the Zoological Society of London (ZSL) released a report revealing that the 215-mile river currently supports over 115 species of fish and 92 species of birds.

"This report has enabled us to really look at how far the Thames has come on its journey to recovery since it was declared biologically dead, and in some cases, set baselines to build from in the future," ZSL said in a release.

Along with eels and sea horses, the river is also home to venomous sharks.

Spurdogs are slender sharks named after the venomous spines found in front of their dorsal fins that are used on predators, according to Wildlife Trusts. If a spurdog injects its venom into a human it can cause severe swelling and pain. The sharks have long been vulnerable to extinction due to overfishing.
MSN
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Number6 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:03 pm In the 1960s, London's Thames River was thought to be biologically "dead." Today, it's home to 115 species of fish, 92 species of birds, and even venomous sharks.
I don't know, those venomous sharks sound like a kind of salt water almost catfish to me.

Catfish are spiny and venomous in about the same way.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Number6 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:03 pm In the 1960s, London's Thames River was thought to be biologically "dead." Today, it's home to 115 species of fish, 92 species of birds, and even venomous sharks.
Venomous sharks you say? Weird.

Apparently there’s little treasures to be found along the riverbank as well. Artifacts like old coins, jewelry and other trinkets.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
Number6

Post by Number6 »

sam lefthand wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:15 pm I don't know, those venomous sharks sound like a kind of salt water almost catfish to me.

Catfish are spiny and venomous in about the same way.
Spurdogs don't look anything like a catfish. Most catfish have "whiskers" ( barbels) around their mouths and spurdogs don't have them. Spurdogs tend to be slender while catfish are bulkier.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Number6 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:32 pm Spurdogs don't look anything like a catfish. Most catfish have "whiskers" ( barbels) around their mouths and spurdogs don't have them. Spurdogs tend to be slender while catfish are bulkier.
The description of the venomous spines are very similar. Some dogfish species look more like catfish too. Although none have the whiskers.

I've been stung by a catfish on my foot, it's not fun.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

sam lefthand wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:41 pm The description of the venomous spines are very similar. Some dogfish species look more like catfish too. Although none have the whiskers.

The venomous spines sounds more like those of a sculpin.
I've been stung by a catfish on my foot, it's not fun.
I've caught catfish when I was a kid living in Tennessee but never got stung by them. I've caught dog sharks, bat rays, and skates but never got bitten or stung by any of them. I guess I'm just lucky.