Atmospheric River

News and events of the day
marindem01

Atmospheric River

Post by marindem01 »

10-Days ago, the San Francisco Bay Area Was Bone Freaking Dry. Now, we are in the an Atmospheric River. It's like a hose has been turned on.

Rainfall amount on Mount Tamalpais are now over 6-inches, which means water is flowing in the reservoir's are filling up. Local flooding is being reported. Parts of Sausalito are reporting flooding as is the Mill Valley Park and Ride (where people catch the Marin Airporter).

Low lying areas are reporting flooding and the area above where Gail and I live are without power.

Rain from earlier this week was somewhat sporadic, nothing like today. I woke up at midnight and the rain was pounding, our cat KhwanJai was curled next to me and her eyes were wide open. It took me an hour to calm her down.

This one event in no way will end the drought. But hot damn, it is at least a start.

Hey Lib, hope your safe and dry.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
marindem01

Re: Atmospheric River

Post by marindem01 »

marindem01 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:41 pm 10-Days ago, the San Francisco Bay Area Was Bone Freaking Dry. Now, we are in the an Atmospheric River. It's like a hose has been turned on.

Rainfall amount on Mount Tamalpais are now over 6-inches, which means water is flowing in the reservoir's are filling up. Local flooding is being reported. Parts of Sausalito are reporting flooding as is the Mill Valley Park and Ride (where people catch the Marin Airporter).

Low lying areas are reporting flooding and the area above where Gail and I live are without power.

Rain from earlier this week was somewhat sporadic, nothing like today. I woke up at midnight and the rain was pounding, our cat KhwanJai was curled next to me and her eyes were wide open. It took me an hour to calm her down.

This one event in no way will end the drought. But hot damn, it is at least a start.

Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Drak

Post by Drak »

I’m on Van Isle. We’re supposed to get hit with heavy winds.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

marindem01 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:41 pm 10-Days ago, the San Francisco Bay Area Was Bone Freaking Dry. Now, we are in the an Atmospheric River. It's like a hose has been turned on.

So far it hasn't gotten started here. We're under flood warnings but so far it has only sprinkled a 1/4 inch. Added to the 1/8 inch last week and that makes 3/8 of an inch total for the last seven months.

It's supposed to come in hard in the evening tonight and cause flooding. I hope it come in at two inches because that's all the ground would absorb without creating excessive runoff and erosion.

I like it when it rains. I hope for a frog concert under my bedroom window during the night. I hope the frogs who live underground and only come out when it rains have survived.

:)
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

The winds across the Golden Gate Bridge were so high that the cables were vibrating. The local sent some poor rookie out there and recorded the sound.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Thanks, flood warnings but our particular area is good. Our son and granddaughter (daughter in law and grandson are filming that show and out of the area) at their new house in Greenbrae or actually it is called "Sleepy Hollow" lost power today for 7 hours, we did not lose power so far.

I think this flooding is going to take some by surprise, I get these emails from the city and one of them had picture of a flooded area, not good.

Oh, just saw that we have had 7 1/4 inches of rain just today!
Last edited by Libertas on Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I sigh in your general direction.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Drak wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:51 pm I’m on Van Isle. We’re supposed to get hit with heavy winds.
I didn't know you live there. I've sailed there. It's nice.

There's a container ship at anchor which is on fire about 20 miles to the south of you. It's one of those chemical fires which get worse if they spray water on it. The crew has abandoned the ship. They may loose that one, it might sink, and then it might create a small oil slick from the fuel oil.

:(

I hope not.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Drak wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:51 pm I’m on Van Isle. We’re supposed to get hit with heavy winds.
BC?

I dont know where that is (Van Isle) so I googled it, is there a different one?
Drak

Post by Drak »

sam lefthand wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:59 pm

There's a container ship at anchor which is on fire about 20 miles to the south of you. It's one of those chemical fires which get worse if they spray water on it. The crew has abandoned the ship. They may loose that one, it might sink, and then it might create a small oil slick from the fuel oil.

I hope not.
Yeah it’s concerning. Pretty close.

Drak

Post by Drak »

Libertas wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:01 pm
BC?

Yep. That’s it. Right on the southern tip of the Island.

Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Drak wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:05 pm
BC?

Oh wow...so are you a Corner Gas fan?
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Drak wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:03 pm
sam lefthand wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:59 pm

I hope not.
Yeah it’s concerning. Pretty close.
From what I saw last night it appears like the fire I saw a photo of would have already ruined the hull, it will need to be scrapped. It sure would be nice for the environment if they can keep it from sinking.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Libertas wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:06 pm

BC?

Never watched it really. As far as Canadian shows go, I do like Kim’s Convenience and Letterkenny for comedies. Trailer Park Boys was funny too. Schitt’s Creek was good. Canadian productions aren’t the best, although they’ve come along way from The Beach Combers or Irish Rovers days.

Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Drak wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:10 pm

Never watched it really. As far as Canadian shows go, I do like Kim’s Convenience and Letterkenny for comedies. Trailer Park Boys was funny too. Shitscreek was good. Canadian productions aren’t the best, although they’ve come along way from The Beach Combers or Irish Rovers days.
Yeah, Schitt's Creek is legendary already. Letterkenny is funny and TPB. Kim's convenience is on Netflix I think, watched a little.

Something about Brent and Nancy and Fred on Corner Gas, kinda like comfort food, but comfort TV.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Drak wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:10 pm

Never watched it really. As far as Canadian shows go, I do like Kim’s Convenience and Letterkenny for comedies. Trailer Park Boys was funny too. Shitscreek was good. Canadian productions aren’t the best, although they’ve come along way from The Beach Combers or Irish Rovers days.
Yeah, Schitt's Creek is legendary already. Letterkenny is funny and TPB. Kim's convenience is on Netflix I think, watched a little.

Something about Brent and Nancy and Fred on Corner Gas, kinda like comfort food, but comfort TV.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

Will this weather help quell the fires?
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:19 pm Will this weather help quell the fires?
Yes, if it rains 6 or 7 inches it will end those two super large fires in Northern California which have been burning all summer.

I don't think the storm will hit the fire well enough in the Sequoia National park though. That's further south than I am, and I'm on the southern edge of where the weather forecasts say is the storm will center. But if it does end the fires north of here it will free up a lot of fire fighters and aircraft to fight the remaining fires to the south so that is an all around positive.

Number6

Post by Number6 »

We won't be getting any rain here in San Diego until Monday. The local TV weatherman says we'll get between .25 - 1 inch of rain. It'll begin around 3 pm and mostly last until 7 pm. Fortunately, we haven't had the big fires that Northern and Central California have had so we should experience too much in the way of flooding in our mountains and foothills. The city of San Diego does have problems in portions of the city, like Pacific Beach, where the streets along the beach will flood and businesses and homes have to put sandbags around their property.

I was stationed in Sacramento from 1997 - 2001 and I know it rains more and harder there than in Southern California. One of the things I always did wherever I lived was to checkout the areas to see how close there were to rivers, streams, bayous, etc., so I avoided living in those areas. In Florida, there were some really nice areas to buy a home but they were too close to the bayous or streams. I bought a home about a half-mile from a bayou, on a hill that was 100 feet above the bayou. No way if the bayou flooded would it reach my house.
When you vote left, you vote right.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:19 pm Will this weather help quell the fires?
According the news the rains have helped a lot. Looks like the major fires are done.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

Watching the NFL Sunday night game and it’s in San Francisco. Pouring Rain.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:13 pm Watching the NFL Sunday night game and it’s in San Francisco. Pouring Rain.
Correction, the 49er's play in Santa Clara. But yes it is pouring there as well.

Gail spoke with a friend in San Rafael. SRPD is closed the streets leading into downtown San Rafael due to flooding.

Mission San Rafael (one of the original missions) are blocked off as well and sand bags are in front of the church, water runs down the hill behind MSR and then down to the main drag on 3rd street. Also, there was a work being on the road in front of the mission as well. No word when SRPD will open the streets leading to downtown.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Here is the page of the Monday Marin Independent Journal.

https://enewspaper.marinij.com/

The picture is of the 101-South Off Ramp at Marin City. Looking down Donahue Street. In front of you is the Gateway Shopping Center, further up are the Gate Way Apartments. To Left would be the intersection of Terners and Donahue, which is underwater. Gail and I live on Terrace Drive, Terners deadend's on our street. So there was no in or out of Marin City. Gail is scheduled for a CT Scan at 9:30 this morning and because last night's rain we do not know if she will be able to get into the City.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

marindem01 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:20 am Here is the page of the Monday Marin Independent Journal.

https://enewspaper.marinij.com/

The picture is of the 101-South Off Ramp at Marin City. Looking down Donahue Street. In front of you is the Gateway Shopping Center, further up are the Gate Way Apartments. To Left would be the intersection of Terners and Donahue, which is underwater. Gail and I live on Terrace Drive, Terners deadend's on our street. So there was no in or out of Marin City. Gail is scheduled for a CT Scan at 9:30 this morning and because last night's rain we do not know if she will be able to get into the City.
It's pretty wet out there now. It stared raining about midnight. So far we've had about 2 1/2 inches.

My mother went in for a CT scan last Monday, she sat there about an hour, and then it was cancelled moments before they were about to put her in the machine. It turned out the person before her was diagnosed with Covid on the basis of their CT scan. They shut it down for a day to clean and disinfect the room and the machine.

My county is completely out of control insofar as having Covid, it's worse here now than it has ever been to date.

:|
Number6

Post by Number6 »

I'm watching MSNBC and they're talking about how Marian County received 16 inches of rain from this storm. That's a lot of rain in a short time.
When you vote left, you vote right.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Number6 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:54 pm I'm watching MSNBC and they're talking about how Marian County received 16 inches of rain from this storm. That's a lot of rain in a short time.
Way more than expected. Monthly averages were blown through within 12-Hours. Local news reports say that 64-Fell on Mount Tamalpais, which means the watershed is being filled.

Parts of Petaluma and Santa Rosa underwater as well. The burn scares received heavy rain and there has be debris flow from the area.

The ground here is soaked. Some idiot tried driving cars through standing water and had to rescued. Tam High is closed because of power outages in the Mill Valley.

No reports as of yet the cost in damages or any possible casualities.