Matrix: Resurrections

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
ProfX

Matrix: Resurrections

Post by ProfX »

New trailer is out. We don't have embedded video, so I'll just link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82W9KmyI04M

Things I conclude from the trailer: this is "the" Neo we saw in the first three films. Or, somehow, it is someone else with all the memories of the previous ones? Somehow, he and Trinity are alive. (Or are they?) Somehow, the Matrix (despite a promise made at the end of film 3), is back online, and it seems both he and Trinity are back in it (as well as of course millions of others.)

Obviously, it raises more questions than it answers, because it also seems like even Agent Smith also exists, even if he too seems to be wearing a different face or identity.

Somehow, Neo is coming back to re-realizing what he already had in the previous films, and had somehow forgotten. We could argue the 3rd film ended with a truce between man and machines. Based on dialogue, it seems like they are back at war. Why?

Of course, in any Matrix movie, things are never exactly as they appear.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Ted

Re: Matrix: Resurrections

Post by Ted »

ProfX wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:01 pm New trailer is out. We don't have embedded video, so I'll just link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82W9KmyI04M

Things I conclude from the trailer: this is "the" Neo we saw in the first three films. Or, somehow, it is someone else with all the memories of the previous ones? Somehow, he and Trinity are alive. (Or are they?) Somehow, the Matrix (despite a promise made at the end of film 3), is back online, and it seems both he and Trinity are back in it (as well as of course millions of others.)

Obviously, it raises more questions than it answers, because it also seems like even Agent Smith also exists, even if he too seems to be wearing a different face or identity.

Somehow, Neo is coming back to re-realizing what he already had in the previous films, and had somehow forgotten. We could argue the 3rd film ended with a truce between man and machines. Based on dialogue, it seems like they are back at war. Why?

Of course, in any Matrix movie, things are never exactly as they appear.
I rarely see movies in the theater anymore but this is one I am going to see on the big screen on opening night. Certain movies are best experienced in full scale audio and video and I wish I had access to IMAX for the new Matrix mivie.

I loved #1 and #3 and I'll still watch #2 if it's on TV. Looking forward to #4.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Ted wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:37 pm I rarely see movies in the theater anymore but this is one I am going to see on the big screen on opening night. Certain movies are best experienced in full scale audio and video and I wish I had access to IMAX for the new Matrix mivie.

After the horrid disappointments that the second and third movies were to me, I really have no interest in seeing number 4.

Not disparaging your views, just giving my own. It's all a matter of taste.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

The film comes out technically tomorrow, or Thurs, with full release everywhere on Friday. Merry Xmas!

Over at Vox, they've got this. I'm gonna focus on the last two parts as they are most relevant to our current cultural moment. But the whole thing is worth reading.

Why The Matrix never stopped being relevant
The groundbreaking sci-fi franchise, explained in 5 eras.
https://www.vox.com/culture/22816209/th ... owski-lana

Era 4: The Red Pill (2012 to present)

[snip]

By far the most famous of these attempts at reduction was the idea of “the red pill,” a term that gained popularity within the online “manosphere” in 2012. First floated on (fittingly) the subreddit r/TheRedPill, the idea borrows the iconography of “taking the red pill” to be able to see the true nature of reality from the film to depict the moment in which a man supposedly has his eyes opened to the fact that society has been feminized and women are ruining everything. The idea is rooted in an aggressive misogyny, one that more or less argues women’s primary function in life is to serve as sexual conquests for men, and it entered the mainstream consciousness in 2014, when Gamergate brought the notion into the spotlight.

As a Matrix fan, I never know how to talk about the red pill business when it comes to the movie’s legacy. Lilly Wachowski has spoken out rather forcefully on the matter in a Twitter reply to Ivanka Trump and Elon Musk (the 2020s!), but the Wachowskis seem comfortable to let their work (which is, again, a movie trilogy made by two trans women with leftist inclinations) speak for itself.

[snip]

The manosphere’s reading of The Matrix is faulty, and it cuts against the film’s intentions. But I’m also not going to say it’s wrong, because it did tap into something deep within the film, then took that reading in an unfortunate direction. At the core of The Matrix is the idea that reality is an illusion, that some essential truth is being covered up for you by “them.” The film’s success at remaining in the zeitgeist when most other “end of history” movies fell away, then, stems from how much more central the idea that nothing is as it seems and everybody is lying to you has become to our lives in 2021 than it was in even 2011.

“Reality is an illusion” is the foundation of conspiratorial thinking. It’s not that hard to draw a line from “the machines are keeping the people subservient to them” to something like QAnon. The Matrix isn’t the font of conspiracy theories in general, of course. But it does work incredibly well as an all-purpose metaphor for the idea that something in life is missing and that someone is keeping a central, important truth from you. In the 2020s, just the idea that you could be given a pill or a piece of information that would suddenly wake you up and explain the seeming emptiness of our current moment holds a powerful sway.

[snip][end]

To me, that "take the red pill" could somehow become a RW meme so popular in the RW blovio-sphere is a true case of weird artistic distortion. Only one Wachowski - sister - worked on this newest film, but she made pretty clear they have all been, at least in part, about the struggles over living out a trans identity. Which she knows all too well. And oh yeah, there is most def. a reason Cornel West is there in "Zion" along with all the Rastas in their dreads. We can debate Baudrillard's politics, "pomo" might fit, but he's really basically a post-lefty (see what he said about Gulf War I), and there they are quoting him in film 1.

That a bunch of RW incel Qanon gamergaters/antifeminists would seize upon "take the red pill" as their meme - is truly, of course, ironic at all levels. Almost as bad as taking some cartoon frog as their icon whose creator never meant for it to be used that way, but maybe worse.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Ehhh. Reviews are not good.

Seems full of its own "meta-ness". Spoiler warning? (I mean I haven't seen it but I watch tubers.)

Neo/Anderson is now a software developer (in the Matrix) who became well known for releasing a series of three games called ... wait for it ... the Matrix Trilogy. :D

Yes, Morpheus and Smith are in it .. somehow and somehow .. though the first has traded bodies for Ya-Ya and it's not clear why (well neither is why Neo & Trinity are alive. The other is ... not Hugo Weaving. :D )

One tuber said don't worry about re-watching all the previous trilogy films - it's all gonna get rehashed for you in this one. Here in a sequel there are all these in-jokes about sequels and how they suck. :D

There are a lot of comparisons between this and Force Awakens, and of course, not in any good way. It really is very much a nostalgia train. Are they totally simply re-telling the first film? Well no. But. Mostly. :D With some new chars, like "Bugs".

Might be a reason they're putting out streaming & cinemas same day. Just because of insatiable curiosity of how the entire film is possible, I might still just see it anyway.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

OK. I saw it. I was underwhelmed. I can definitely see the things other reviewers were noting - negatively. Non spoiler assessment: action is very underwhelming. The visual FX seem under budget and nothing is anywhere as groundbreaking as the first film. Be prepared for a lot of rehashing of the original films - sometimes literally.

** Massive Bazonga Spoiler Warning **

It's ridiculous "meta". Let's get this off the bat. How are Neo and Trinity alive? See if this makes sense. It is apparently 60 years after the end of the last film. We know this mostly because, well, Niobe has been digitally aged to look pretty darn old, and it seems Morpheus (the original) died of old age. Yet somehow Thomas and Trinity only look 20 years older than they did before because ... well, it seems the machines held on to the dead bodies of both, and then cloned them. But waited for a long time before doing this. :D Why they would have the memories of the originals? I guess, storage in the Matrix database ... dunno, dunno.

Why were they cloned? Well, it seems like together they are "The One" as a unity ... Neo is slowly getting his powers back, but at the end of the film it's actually Trinity who can fly. In the Matrix, anyway. It looks like there was a machine war between the machines themselves, and they started running out of power, so they built a new Matrix. Breaking the promise of film 3. Key to this new one was building one where Neo and Trinity are inside, near each other but not touching in pods right nearby, and with their memories wiped. This seems to power the new illusion.

Neo at the start of the film is Thomas Anderson, software developer, winner of all kinds of international acclaim for releasing a game trilogy ... called ... wait for it ... The Matrix Trilogy. :D His business partner is named Smith, does not look like Hugo Weaving, and while that's a common last name, is, in fact exactly who you might think he is. :mrgreen: But anyway you won't find that out till later. At the beginning, he's pressuring Thomas and his team to make a fourth sequel, which he doesn't want to do, but "the people, they want it". And I swear, this is literally a line in the movie, the most meta moment: he tells Thom "if we don't make the sequel, Warner Brothers say they will do it without us." A 4th-wall-breaking swipe from Lana? Possibly hinting at some real world threats?

Trinity is now Tiffany, soccer mom, with a husband named Chad and two bratty kids. Or so is her Matrix reality, anyway. Neo thinks he's going mad. He is having memories from the first three films, but his therapist Doogie Howser kind of frankly asks him ... so you think you are having real memories of a game you wrote? "Am I crazy?" "We don't use that word here." :D Time to gulp down more blue pills. P.S. Doogie, the Analyst, as they call him, appears to be the new Architect of this new Matrix. But at least initially, one thing you are sure of, he's there to make sure Neo won't question his reality.

Ya-Ya is the new Morpheus. See if any of this makes sense. It didn't to me. He's actually an Agent INSIDE NEO'S GAME. Somehow, something something, he escapes the game inside the Matrix to the Matrix itself. Eventually gains back the memories of the original Morpheus. Switches sides. Takes on the mission of the original Morpheus (Laurence F. is dead at this point), to awaken Neo. But because he's a digital being, when he appears in the physical world, it's only as a kind of magnetic field of ball bearings, or something.

Neo frets over whether anything he did in the original films mattered. Well, it did. The awakened humans abandoned Zion for a new city called Io. Peace lasted for a while. Then the machines had their own internal factional war. Long story short: some machines are now on the human side and working with the humans. Others wanted to go back on their promise, and are now back at war, and rebuilt a 2nd Matrix. The bottom line is Neo seems to have made some of the machines realize controlling humans this way is wrong, and now they are fighting the other machines.

Some new characters. Honestly, none are memorable other than "Bugs," the blue haired chick with the white rabbit tattoo on her arm. Remember that? It's back. :D Their ship is now called the Mnemosyne, the goddess of memory.

Skip to the ending? :D Trinity remembers who she is. The romance rekindles. She begins ass-kicking again. :D It seems now Neo and Trinity, when UNITED, are THE ONE. Together, they both have awesome powers in this new Matrix. They kick Doogie Howser's ass and tell him they are going to start awakening and freeing people from this new Matrix. There is a post-credits scene about Neo's team, still in the Matrix, about how what they should really do is something called "The Cat-Trix" which focuses on cat videos because sequels suck. Seriously, it's just more meta commentary, and I think mostly mocking the whole idea of franchise post credits scenes.

Will there be more films? Well, of course, despite this film mocking itself and the whole nature of franchise sequels, it sure left that open. :mrgreen:
gounion

Post by gounion »

Thanks, Prof. That's what most reviews are saying, too. I won't bother to watch. I really haven't enjoyed any but the first one.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

I remember liking the very first one, dont recall much about the other 2.

But the longer time passes the less I can focus on a story unless it is a comedy or a personal drama type.

3 minutes into this one and I turned it off, the first action sequence I realized I didnt care what happened :lol: but I will fast forward watch it to see what the story conclusion is.

This problem of mine is not just action movies or super hero but Westerns and I even used to like the "Bourne" stuff and same problem there too. Havent seen new Bond movie and need to be in a perfect frame of mind or it will happen there too.
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Not that I am comparing you to him :D , but my Dad (may he RIP), while a major cinephile, definitely did not like sci-fi films, especially ones like this, because he found the plots too confusing to follow. Boy did the original Matrix confuse the crap out of him. I tried to explain that a lot of the film isn't taking place in anything either than a computer generated virtual reality. Whatever. He just couldn''t follow stuff like that.

His favorite types of films were cop movies. Never anything complicated. Lots of action. I generally find you can see the ending to those coming a mile away. Hell, I think Last Action Hero was kind of a meta-satire on how predictable they are. But anyway.

Oh my lord would he have hated this if he was alive. Trust me, you can have watched all the films and be totally immersed in the games and the Animatrix and all the surrounding media & lore (I am ... kinda) ... and there's still plenty of sh*t that doesn't make sense.

But I swear. The whole damn thing seems to be Lana W. basically telling the world: "I had to make this shite, or Warner Brothers was gonna George Lucas me, shut me out, and make their own crap, and that would have been worse". There is a lot of meta commentary in the film about how sequels are so derivative and manipulative, and yet ... here is a sequel. :D Seriously, there is a post credits scene, please DON'T watch it, AFAICT, it's just there to basically say "fuck franchises for having post credit scenes". :D

Something else I forgot, but it's so typical. The Merovingian pops up in this film. For all of about a minute or so, looking like a homeless ragamuffin muttering how nobody has fine taste anymore, and then he's gone. Fanservice? Self mockery? Who can f**king figure out.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

In my case I understood the films and liked them back then, or the first one at least, as I just cant remember the other 2.

I actually am the one in the family known for figuring out the plot before anyone else or a who done it, etc.

There is one that to this day I dont understand and it had Leonardo in it, forgot the name...found it

Inception.

I kept asking you questions about that one on HBO with Don from Miami Vice because I didnt watch it, I guess I wanted to know what it was about without watching it. Still havent.
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Libertas wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:32 am There is one that to this day I dont understand and it had Leonardo in it, forgot the name...found it

Inception.
Oh yeah. To understand what's going on, you have to pay close attention to something said earlier in the film. Dreams have multiple levels and you can keep going deeper and deeper in those levels until you reach the "bottom" which is "Limbo". Also, time is passing differently in each level, and you need a "kick" (some kind of shock) to go up a level. From the top level, a "kick" wakes you up.

After that, it all makes sense. Sorta. You can ask me about the ending. I have a theory about it. I think the ending is deliberately open-ended to make you wonder if Leo has really, finally, totally left the dream world. :D
I kept asking you questions about that one on HBO with Don from Miami Vice because I didnt watch it, I guess I wanted to know what it was about without watching it. Still havent.
Watchmen.

BTW, my brother watched it on HBO Max. Unlike me, he never saw the Snyder film or read the graphic novel. He says he really liked it. He has never asked me about it, though I told him some things in it I might be able to explain further. :D

The key thing to get in the series - and the lead-up kind of makes this clear - is it is set in a world with an alternative history/timeline to our own (yet also overlapping - it also had its own Tulsa Massacre). The original story/film was set in 1985. This is supposed to be in the same world, but many years later. Trust me, things will make more sense if you see the Snyder 2009 film. Or if you at least read through the plot.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Ted wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:37 pm I rarely see movies in the theater anymore but this is one I am going to see on the big screen on opening night. Certain movies are best experienced in full scale audio and video and I wish I had access to IMAX for the new Matrix mivie.

I didn't make it to the theater on opening night for this movie. Watched it on HBO instead.

I'm glad I didn't see it in the theatre.

This movie was not as good as #2.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Ted wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:54 pm I didn't make it to the theater on opening night for this movie. Watched it on HBO instead.

I'm glad I didn't see it in the theatre.

This movie was not as good as #2.
Sorry to hear - it's always a bummer when you are so hyped for something and it ends up a disappointment.