EARTH....

News and events of the day
ZoWie

Re: EARTH....

Post by ZoWie »

The best shot I saw was in Santa Cruz, and the actual wave was more of a set of ripples. It was in some channel that emptied into the sea, going upstream, and the first ripple of the set was trying to break, like a mini-wave. We're talking maybe a few inches high. Some other places got slow, rather unspectacular surges that caused some flooding barely worthy of the word. Water in the parking lot type stuff. I think the biggest surge around here was 1.5 feet and came at low tide. I doubt anyone even noticed much of a difference. There was nothing that would look like anything on your typical surfcam.

I was more impressed by the duration of the event. The Pacific Ocean sloshed around for the better part of a day. The alert just got canceled for everything south of Rincon, which is something like 50 miles NW of here. It was in effect for something like 12 hours. But not much came of it, really.

The actual explosion is a lot more photogenic, especially from space. It's a biggie. You see a real nice shock wave going out. Presumably, that's what got the whole Pacific going.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

this, in the warm Mediterranean.
mother nature is not happy.
then one of the islands, some part of greece had a 5.5 quake last nite too.
How many Feet is 3 Meters? 3 meters equals 9.84 feet,
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/samothrace-is ... 00765.html
The Greek island of Samothrace in north Aegean was hit by a severe snowstorm .... Snow accumulations exceeded 3 meters into the village while excavators have been working all day to unblock the road leading to the harbor of Kamariotissa.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Minor flooding in Richardson Bay and in Tiburon. The parking lot(s) sued people living aboard the Floating Homes in Sausalito was flooded as well. Car owners had to move their vehicles early Saturday Morning. My home is up on a hill above the Bay, so I'm fine. Not so much who live in mobile home parks...they suffered.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Getting close to full moon. That alignment can favor clusters of seismic events like earthquakes and volcanoes. Not a sure fire predictor, but there's a mathematially significant correlation.

The snow, well, yeah, extremes seem to be the new normal. Chaos math is kicking in.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:39 pm Getting close to full moon. That alignment can favor clusters of seismic events like earthquakes and volcanoes. Not a sure fire predictor, but there's a mathematially significant correlation.

The snow, well, yeah, extremes seem to be the new normal. Chaos math is kicking in.
You were the first person I saw call out the admin for not doing enough as to testing sites, etc. And I appreciate that because while they are doing more now, I will NEVER understand why he didnt engage the defense prod act day ONE in office to produce anything and everything Covid related.
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Agreed that covid would have been a good rallying point. Biden could have blamed it (rightly) on the last guy, then rallied the public behind a serious effort to stop it from completely disrupting commerce and killing too many people.

We can spend hours dissecting the reasons this didn't happen. There are a lot of them. Some of them even make sense.

Starting with the supply chain, inflation, production lags, and all that, well, we'd been on about offshoring and destruction of our own country's manufacturing capability since at least the Seattle Battle, probably much longer. Going on something like 40 years now.

The inconvenient fact remains that, were Pearl Harbor to happen today, and were a similar fascist alliance making a big push for planetary domination, we would lose WWII. We screwed the pooch. So the nukes didn't get us and the commies didn't get us and the terrorists didn't get us... we got ourselves. Or, to be exact, we gave up so much of what we had that a little virus from a wet market in China got us.

And, of course, the conservatives and the apologists for the misconduct of the rich oligarchs will still go to their graves in total denial of what their ideology did to us.

Moving forward, Biden has a good chance to save his ass, but he has to seize the moment. That's just politics 101. Yes, mistakes were made, now move on, keep pushing on testing and vaccinating and maybe a cheap and available antiviral that doesn't need to change with every variant. Yes, do that defense production thing. I think that in fact the Defense Production Act has been invoked, but for whatever reason the priority was never escalated to full national emergency.

Escalate it, do the grunt work, get public health rolling the way an army would be raised in a war, and shut Faux up by inspiring the public with the kind of rhetoric they ate up after 9/11. Sounds cynical, maybe, but it works.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

i dont know where it was, thread wise, taking issues with whether virus came from perma frost melt or not.
we wont be alive to know where death comes from en masse.

what science does know is...theres a lot of dangerous shit floating up into the atmosphere and air
after being buried in dirt and ice below the surface of sun or oxygen for millions of years and more.
once it hits oxygen again which it is...we dont have a fucking clue. what to do or what to expect.
i guess we are getting a clue, now.
science has been warning about this for nearly 100years. sigh.

this is why beezus has yachts to desalinate his own water on at least one of his zillion buk yachts.
he prolly has a fully fresh oxygenated sector too!
he will be the only one left to smile and use his gym out at sea.

animals at the meat market could easily have eaten russian grains or any number of ways virus from
melt traveled by air to china.
thats the problem. any number of ways.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

the Q was in here some time ago so now its back.

nuts r us.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/qanon-do ... 45a6eb0912
---Some QAnon Believers Think JFK Disguised Himself As Trump At Arizona Rally---
They claim the person who showed up at the event appeared to be shorter than the "real" Donald Trump.
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

who gets fed the animals needed to feed the humans or the humans. who gets the corn.
theres no way this is possible. the efforts they express will mostly be ignored by RWG.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/food ... 9-billion/
Feeding the World ---
By 2050 we’ll need to feed two billion more people. How can we do that without overwhelming the planet?

consequences.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... nvironment
Melting Arctic Permafrost Could Release Tons of Toxic Mercury---
Scientists have found large natural stores of the toxin in the Arctic. It's not clear how much will get into food webs as the planet warms.

https://www.sciencealert.com/15-000-yea ... rth-s-past
Ancient 15,000-Year-Old Viruses Identified in Melting Tibetan Glaciers
21 JULY 2021
Like the start of a horror movie, ancient creatures are emerging from the cold storage of now-melting permafrost: from incredibly preserved extinct megafauna... and bacteria over 750,000 years old.
Not all of them are dead. Centuries-old moss was able to spring back to life
in the warmth of the laboratory. So too, incredibly, were tiny 42,000-year-old roundworms.
HST.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Giant Asteroid Passes Close to Earth Tuesday

An Asteroid that’s over 3,000 feet wide will fly by Earth this afternoon. Here’s how you can see it.

https://weather.com/science/space/video ... -afternoon
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

ap215 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:28 am Giant Asteroid Passes Close to Earth Tuesday

An Asteroid that’s over 3,000 feet wide will fly by Earth this afternoon. Here’s how you can see it.

https://weather.com/science/space/video ... -afternoon
i..i..saw some trippy thing in the sky the next day. it was as close to paranormal as ive ever seen.
i took some pic, meh, i know what they are but vague to others. it showed a...1/8 circular rainbow
hanging in the clear blue sky with a..trail behind it..as tho it traveled in and the trail was behind it.
it looked like a slice in the sky. a N/S Colored slice with a blunt curved edge to it with a thin E/W trail
behind that coming from the east. like the rainbows trail. the sun was an hour to the west.

ive never seen this before. maybe it was comet trail diff view with the sun...?..idk.
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

why would they call this latest CA fire the "Colorado fire"......smh.
hey, call it jack. maybe its time for numbers....fire #800....

boulder rents hitting $9500.00 a month...and more. for POS corp apts. SMH.

burned out people living in cars in 10-20degree cold nites. they have nothing and have lost their animals too.

CA...name your fires donald, ivanka or...wtf his sons names....idr.

still finishing details for the mill we managed to get shut down. :)
likely criminal charges looming for the millions they looted locally. YAY!

next one is in AZ. we're gonna dog these "economic development money" Thieves. :):)
HST.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Get 'em.

This is a good reminder that con jobs are con jobs, regardless of where they are perpetrated. We're having a similar one in the city, regarding zoning, which real estate speculators want to control for their own benefit. They're winning.

Also keep in mind that timber companies are the enemy. They don't have to be, but the Koch Bros changed the way they do business. It's another fubar now, like electric power and oil. The public always loses when big money finds another way to scam huge profits out of what is supposed to be a market, as it destroys and perverts same. The result is always scorched earth, literally in many cases.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

ZoWie wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:44 am Get 'em.

This is a good reminder that con jobs are con jobs, regardless of where they are perpetrated. We're having a similar one in the city, regarding zoning, which real estate speculators want to control for their own benefit. They're winning.

Also keep in mind that timber companies are the enemy. They don't have to be, but the Koch Bros changed the way they do business. It's another fubar now, like electric power and oil. The public always loses when big money finds another way to scam huge profits out of what is supposed to be a market, as it destroys and perverts same. The result is always scorched earth, literally in many cases.
Its the idle money that has no other purpose but to destabilize everything in its path. Its short circuiting the whole system.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The descendants of Native American tribes on the Northern California coast are reclaiming a bit of their heritage that includes ancient redwoods that have stood since their ancestors walked the land.

https://apnews.com/article/business-env ... 944e828e8b

Save the Redwoods League planned to announce Tuesday that it is transferring more than 500 acres (202 hectares) on the Lost Coast to the InterTribal Sinkyone Wilderness Council.

The group of 10 tribes that have inhabited the area for thousands of years will be responsible for protecting the land dubbed Tc’ih-Léh-Dûñ, or “Fish Run Place,” in the Sinkyone language.

Priscilla Hunter, chairwoman of the Sinkyone Council, said it’s fitting they will be caretakers of the land where her people were removed or forced to flee before the forest was largely stripped for timber.

It’s a real blessing,” said Hunter, of the Coyote Valley Band of Pomo Indians. “It’s like a healing for our ancestors. I know our ancestors are happy. This was given to us to protect.”
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

who the fuck is this joe rogan.....never heard of him prior to his recent earnings via financial news of $100mil
paid to him by some...corp.

wtf. w.t.f.
wow.
who pays a radio mouth that much. wtf. if there is any indication of an economic system on the brink, gone, wasted,
useless, nonfunctional, greed oriented vs new worthy...i dont know what is.
what a waste of human money function. wow. :shock:

that any "voice" over airwaves gets that much moolah, dinero, for simply bullshitting into a mic...wow.
what a waste of human resource.

if that is the state of current..congressional stock purchases...whats the diff tween them and 'us'....when senators
trades outperform the market by 25%

they get elected to a pol seat living mostly off MEAGER LOCAL WAGES. then..if elected via FREE MONEY..they then become
MILLIONAIRES...via their brokers and the stock trades coming FROM INSIDER TRADING INFO.

ohhh...i dnnitt know what my broker trader was doing...he did it not me!!

so social nets are following our POLS and their stock buys. sorry nancy, but you are a main one.
wow..so our pols become rich via social and they pass on tips via social to anyone anywhere to UP the market they are buying into..

WOW.
talk about a Lehman mess.
wow.

im more stunned. hard to believe. wow. shorting. wow. :shock:
this kind of...broker, pol buying, fund, hedgie, investment consulting, this kind of literally "shorting the market"
as you see fit when you see fit...wow.

and yet they get away with it.. knew it happened leading to LEHMAN. our pols just gave their money making
over to the "investment brokers" of their choice.

yeh, this is capitalism, dontcha luv it you poor fucks.
this is why people dont vote. the capitalist system is so fucked they dont bother when the pols become millionaires off the votes.

maya2. s.m.h.
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

marindem01 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:48 am LOS ANGELES (AP) — The descendants of Native American tribes on the Northern California coast are reclaiming a bit of their heritage that includes ancient redwoods that have stood since their ancestors walked the land.

https://apnews.com/article/business-env ... 944e828e8b

Save the Redwoods League planned to announce Tuesday that it is transferring more than 500 acres (202 hectares) on the Lost Coast to the InterTribal Sinkyone Wilderness Council.

The group of 10 tribes that have inhabited the area for thousands of years will be responsible for protecting the land dubbed Tc’ih-Léh-Dûñ, or “Fish Run Place,” in the Sinkyone language.

Priscilla Hunter, chairwoman of the Sinkyone Council, said it’s fitting they will be caretakers of the land where her people were removed or forced to flee before the forest was largely stripped for timber.

It’s a real blessing,” said Hunter, of the Coyote Valley Band of Pomo Indians. “It’s like a healing for our ancestors. I know our ancestors are happy. This was given to us to protect.”
right on!! thanks for posting. :D :D
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

Motor City wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:30 pm Its the idle money that has no other purpose but to destabilize everything in its path. Its short circuiting the whole system.
they only see it as...capitalism.
no frets on WHAT capitalism DOES..only what they pocket from it.
...which is in the end NO diff from...COMMUNISM. or end of Rome. or..our continents..Maya. we are Maya2.
...power to the people with the money.

romans, mayans saw it coming for 100-200 MIN years, day by day, minute by minute. we see it each day on faux snooze.
...or down the street.
romans saw their decline daily and locally. we see it..globally.. on TV each day.
HST.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

rainwater wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:08 pm they only see it as...capitalism.
no frets on WHAT capitalism DOES..only what they pocket from it.
...which is in the end NO diff from...COMMUNISM. or end of Rome. or..our continents..Maya. we are Maya2.
...power to the people with the money.

romans, mayans saw it coming for 100-200 MIN years, day by day, minute by minute. we see it each day on faux snooze.
...or down the street.
romans saw their decline daily and locally. we see it..globally.. on TV each day.
yea its getting real lopsided isnt it. foundation is crumbling while the load on top of it just keeps getting heavier. its corporate socialism too

EMS agencies push for $20M to help recruit, train new first responders amid staffing shortage
“Michigan EMS agencies have a plan to reverse this dangerous trend, we just need funding assistance from the state to make it happen," said Jason MacDonald, vice president of MedStar Ambulance Services who also serves as president of The Michigan Association of Ambulance Services.

To carry out that plan, EMS agencies are asking state lawmakers and the governor for $20 million to help fund the recruitment and training of at least 1,000 new emergency medical technicians and paramedics.
By agencies they mean private for-profit companies that also are part of lobbying associations. why give state money directly to for profit companies who deliberately staff in ways that cause staffing shortages, to solve staffing shortages, I mean it wont work. Rather it will go to lobbying against employee rights and security and make them vulnerable to staffing hostilities that create shortages.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Biden administration cancels two mining leases near Minnesota wilderness in reversal of Trump-era decision

The Biden administration has canceled two leases near Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness - a remote, lake-pocked region at the center of a blistering fight over whether to mine near one of the nation’s most popular wilderness destinations.

On Wednesday, the Interior Department said it found that the leases to extract copper, nickel and other valuable metals in northern Minnesota were improperly renewed under Donald Trump. The Biden administration’s decision will help protect the hundreds of lakes, streams and wetlands in the nearly 1.1 million-acre wilderness area hugging the Canadian border from the potential toxic leaching from mining.

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2022/0 ... -decision/
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Blizzard warnings in place from mid-Atlantic to New England as nor’easter looms

Residents across the mid-Atlantic and New England on Friday were bracing for a major weekend snowstorm as a nor'easter will develop and rapidly strengthen into a bomb cyclone as it moves northward along the Eastern Seaboard. AccuWeather forecasters say the storm could unload over 3 feet of snow and up to 90-mph winds as it pounds eastern New England and creates an all-out blizzard in some areas.

"This is going to be a dangerous, life-threatening storm, which will be a blizzard in some spots, especially in southern New England," AccuWeather Chief Meteorologist Jon Porter said.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/winter-w ... ms/1132852
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Pretty good snow storm in NYC, but RI and Boston are really getting hammered.

A long duration class M1.1 solar flare just now appeared from rapidly expanding region 2936, a very large sunspot group with a number of magnetically complex members. Each spot is bigger than the Earth. One of them is actively flaring, turning stored magnetic energy into X-rays and extreme UV. I think the flare just peaked, though it's too soon to know. It's caused a weak radio propagation disturbance on the entire sunny side of the planet, with an audible effect on the US West Coast. This sunspot region is just now rotating into geoeffective position, so the next few days could be interesting ones.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Gas stoves leak more methane than previously thought.
Gas stoves are contributing more to global warming than previously thought because of constant tiny methane leaks while they’re off, a new study found.

Even when they are not running, U.S. gas stoves are putting 2.6 million tons (2.4 million metric tons) of methane — in carbon dioxide equivalent units — into the air each year, a team of California researchers found in a study published in Thursday’s journal Environmental Science & Technology. That’s equivalent to the annual amount of greenhouse gases from 500,000 cars or what the United States puts into the air every three-and-a-half hours.

That methane is on top of the 6.8 million tons (6.2 million metric tons) of carbon dioxide that gas stoves emit into the air when they are in use and the gas is burned, the study said. Methane is a greenhouse gas that is dozens of times more potent than carbon dioxide but doesn’t stay in the atmosphere nearly as long and isn’t as plentiful in the air.
https://apnews.com/article/climate-scie ... 54eddad2f6
When you vote left, you vote right.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

After the blizzard, the big chill as East Coast digs out

BOSTON (AP) — Gusty winds and falling temperatures have plunged the East Coast into a deep freeze as people dig out after a powerful nor'easter dumped mounds of snow, flooded coastlines and knocked out power to tens of thousands.

Dangerous wind chills have fallen below zero in many locations across the region on Sunday after the storm dumped snow from Virginia to Maine. Philadelphia and New York had plenty of snow, but Massachusetts bore the brunt of the storm, with the town of Sharon getting more than 30 inches (76 centimeters) of snow before the storm moved out.

https://thehill.com/homenews/wire/59197 ... t-digs-out
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

New York is still there, but it's COLD. Subzero wind chills.

Weather channel kept telling me that Boston was really getting hit, but I guess they're good at digging it out, because it seemed to be functioning. Presumably they're used to it.

That kind of weather in LA would cause the worst mass-casualty emergency the US has seen in decades.