RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:49 am 
Board Emeritus

I'm into adult coloring books and I like to shop for bargains. You can't go wrong for a used book in good condition for .01 plus shipping.

But sometimes I scroll down to see what other vendors are selling them for and I'm perplexed as to why anyone would buy a coloring book, used or new, for 33.00 when the original selling price is 9.95? I even saw one listed for over 1 thousand dollars! I shit you not.

Do they actually sell them and to whom?! How do they get away with selling them for that outrageous price?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm into adult coloring books and I like to shop for bargains. You can't go wrong for a used book in good condition for .01 plus shipping.

But sometimes I scroll down to see what other vendors are selling them for and I'm perplexed as to why anyone would buy a coloring book, used or new, for 33.00 when the original selling price is 9.95? I even saw one listed for over 1 thousand dollars! I shit you not.

Do they actually sell them and to whom?! How do they get away with selling them for that outrageous price?

The probably sell them to people who don't take the time to look through the many pages of offers; only the first page. I tend to scroll through looking at similar products/prices and figure which is the best value.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:16 am 
Board Emeritus

Some auctioneers will always attempt to begin the bidding at two to three times an item's value. No one ever accepts that opening ploy, someone will always interrupt, and start the bidding usually as arbitrarily low as the auctioneers attempt was to go high. That tends to hook the one who begins the bidding low, and before they know it the price will rise and find its value.

What often sells an idem is a conversation. Something is needed to start such a conversation. I would imagine that those high prices lead to people contacting the vendor to ask them why their prices are so high. And once the vendor has a customer on the line ... .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:15 am 
Board Emeritus

Thanks for the responses.

What's weird is those vendors have good ratings, like 94 to 98%. I've used the same few vendors with no problem.

Right now I'm looking at a page of sellers with prices ranging from 39.00 to 46.00 USED for a coloring book sold by Amazon brand new for 9.95. Their ratings are 94% and 99% :?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:24 am 
Board Emeritus

A coloring book is sort of a to do kit, not completed when it is new. Maybe they are worth four times more once they've been colored, a paint and labor added value.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

A coloring book is sort of a to do kit, not completed when it is new. Maybe they are worth four times more once they've been colored, a paint and labor added value.

Here's my coloring of John William Waterhouse's The Mermaid. What do you think I could get for this masterpiece?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/117082183 ... ?icm=false

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's pretty good, you were careful, you didn't cross the lines. I'll quote you, "prices ranging from 39.00 to 46.00." That sounds like it's the going market price.

I would think you could ask for the high end of that price range.

Keep in mind the market doesn't have a brain, it will do the unexpected as often as not. Afterall there is a vibrant market for old worn out used denim pants with holes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thanks for the responses.

What's weird is those vendors have good ratings, like 94 to 98%. I've used the same few vendors with no problem.

Right now I'm looking at a page of sellers with prices ranging from 39.00 to 46.00 USED for a coloring book sold by Amazon brand new for 9.95. Their ratings are 94% and 99% :?

They may have gotten those ratings based on other items they sold.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

They may have gotten those ratings based on other items they sold.

Yes, so it makes me wonder if they've sold cork screws or plastic mugs for 5k.