Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Board Games?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Anyone play em? In particular I like the euro styled stuff.

I used to play Settlers of Catan a fair bit, but it became predicable.

I have my hands on a couple of well rated games. I need to delve into the rules and start up again.

One is Twilight Struggle: 2 player cold war period. I've had this game for a few years and got busy with life (family etc.) Anyone play it? It gets very high scores.

The other one is Eclipse. Space resource strategy. Again, this is a game I've had for a few years but it's never been played. Same excuse. I'm going through the rules books now.

Axis and Allies was an old favorite. We used to play that and Risk a fair bit back in the 90s. Like Catan, both games became too predicable.

Post subject: Re: Board Games?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

I prefer to go out and do my quests for real.

Lately I've been getting a mite old and tend to not stray far from home. Yesterday I played Bunyan, Paul. I restrict such activities to already dead trees.

The high point of yesterday's game I was about 80 feet up a tree, wearing spikes lines and harness, wielding a chainsaw topping the top 50 foot of that tree. I'm resting today, tomorrow I'll play again and fell the bottom 40 feet of that tree.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Anyone play em? In particular I like the euro styled stuff.

I used to play Settlers of Catan a fair bit, but it became predicable.

I have my hands on a couple of well rated games. I need to delve into the rules and start up again.

One is Twilight Struggle: 2 player cold war period. I've had this game for a few years and got busy with life (family etc.) Anyone play it? It gets very high scores.

The other one is Eclipse. Space resource strategy. Again, this is a game I've had for a few years but it's never been played. Same excuse. I'm going through the rules books now.

Axis and Allies was an old favorite. We used to play that and Risk a fair bit back in the 90s. Like Catan, both games became too predicable.

I like cribbage though it has been so long I forgot how, would take seconds to remember.

Hold em, anybody for poker?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

I used to play Risk and Trivial Pursuit when I was in the service. I enjoyed playing them with others but I was one who was competitive and wanted to win. My view was if you're going to play a game why not play to win. It's no fun playing when there's nothing to play for.

People would get upset with me in Risk because I'd make a pact with them not to attack them for X number of moves. When that pact ended they'd asked if I extend it another turn or two and I'd tell them I can't guarantee them I would or wouldn't. When my turn came, if it was to my advantage to attack the person I made a pact with I would and that person would get upset with me for attacking them. I didn't always win but it was fun messing with people who thought they were good manipulators.

In Trivial Pursuit, we'd play as teams. Usually, one person on my team would be good in sports (which I wasn't good at) while another would be good in literature, and I'd be good in the rest of the categories but especially good in entertainment (TV and movies). It was fun when a new team joined us and my team made it to the end for a final question to win the game. The other teams would get together and figure out which category they should ask the question from. Usually, the new team would say entertainment and the other teams would say, in unison, "NO" because that was my strongest category and I rarely missed a question.

I haven't played those board games in years because most people find them boring and are more interested in the games on their phone/tablets.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

I used to play Risk and Trivial Pursuit when I was in the service. I enjoyed playing them with others but I was one who was competitive and wanted to win. My view was if you're going to play a game why not play to win. It's no fun playing when there's nothing to play for.

People would get upset with me in Risk because I'd make a pact with them not to attack them for X number of moves. When that pact ended they'd asked if I extend it another turn or two and I'd tell them I can't guarantee them I would or wouldn't. When my turn came, if it was to my advantage to attack the person I made a pact with I would and that person would get upset with me for attacking them. I didn't always win but it was fun messing with people who thought they were good manipulators.

In Trivial Pursuit, we'd play as teams. Usually, one person on my team would be good in sports (which I wasn't good at) while another would be good in literature, and I'd be good in the rest of the categories but especially good in entertainment (TV and movies). It was fun when a new team joined us and my team made it to the end for a final question to win the game. The other teams would get together and figure out which category they should ask the question from. Usually, the new team would say entertainment and the other teams would say, in unison, "NO" because that was my strongest category and I rarely missed a question.

I haven't played those board games in years because most people find them boring and are more interested in the games on their phone/tablets.

Used to play Trivial Pursuit a lot when I was young. Loved that game with the family.

Risk is one of those games that gets board flipped a fair bit. Always a game that tends to end in bitterness and fighting. Which is part of the charm. I played with one guy who brought the game - his was a collectors with wooden pieces. If he was losing, which tended to be most of the time, he'd threaten to pack it in. The mocking would send him to the couch pouting whilst the rest of the crew finished playing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Used to play Trivial Pursuit a lot when I was young. Loved that game with the family.

Risk is one of those games that gets board flipped a fair bit. Always a game that tends to end in bitterness and fighting. Which is part of the charm. I played with one guy who brought the game - his was a collectors with wooden pieces. If he was losing, which tended to be most of the time, he'd threaten to pack it in. The mocking would send him to the couch pouting whilst the rest of the crew finished playing.

There's nothing like beating someone at their own game especially when they're overconfident.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

There's nothing like beating someone at their own game especially when they're overconfident.

Stanley Kubrick playing chess against George C. Scott immediately comes to mind.

After kicking his ass at chess (George is pretty good, but Stanley was a master-level player), Stanley was supposedly able to convince George to shoot scene-after-scene with George going ridiculously over-the-top with regard to dramatic license.

The end result, of course, is a master piece.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:30 am 
Board Emeritus

played the old standbys when i was younger like monopoly and risk and parcheesi and so on. played diplomacy a bit. also a game called convention.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:59 am 
Banned

Chess is my favorite "game" since young. Next up would be dice games. I have learned a number of interesting ones during my travels. Craps is still my favorite. New girlfriend likes chess, also likes a dice game called farkle.

I still prefer spending most of my free time hunting and fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

i haven't played board games since the early 80s.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Democratic Party is playing a board game with the Republican Party. The game works a bit like Risk.

Some years back, the Republicans left the board, went outside, and set fire to the house. The Democrats are still sitting there, waiting for the Republicans to come back and play nice. Meanwhile, the smoke gets thicker and the room is a bit warm.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:44 pm 
Banned

I like cribbage though it has been so long I forgot how, would take seconds to remember.

Hold em, anybody for poker?

Been a lot of years since I played cribbage, used to with my grandparents. Must be making a comeback as my son plays now he said. My 98 year old gram passed last week. Was in MI for 10 days, brought her home from hospital and was with her till she passed. Had a fall week before, sharp until that point. Cribbage mention got me thinking more about past with them. I play poker with buddies and enjoy it. Still Chess and dice games are my favorites.