Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Ruining Scrabble
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

I just found this article interesting. It talks about how rules changes can affect the quality of games we like, like adding "qi" and "za" to the Scrabble dictionary...or moving the 3 point line.
Quote:
Price Drop: Stocks, Homes, Now Triple-Word Scores
Scrabble and Other Games -- on Boards, Fields, Courts and Ice -- Have Overvalued Points; Vermont Avenue Is a Steal

A trio of words -- one that's slang for pizza, another defined as a body's vital life force and a third referring to a snoring sound -- have conspired to change the game of Scrabble.
The Letter Law

Compare letter frequency across various English language sources, from Scrabble to newspapers to fiction.

"Za," "qi" and "zzz" were added recently to the game's official word list for its original English-language edition. Because Z's and Q's each have the game's highest point value of 10, those monosyllabic words can rack up big scores for relatively little effort. So now that those high-scoring letters are more versatile, some Scrabble aficionados would like to see the rules changed -- which would be the only change since Alfred Butts popularized the game in 1948.

For non Scrabble-rousers, there are analogs for the proposed re-evaluations in other leisure pursuits. Some notable mispriced assets: Vermont Avenue in Monopoly, three-point field goals in basketball and football and overtime losses in hockey. Yet traditionalists say rules should endure; it's up to players to exploit them.

Continued Here

In my opinion "za" is not a word and has no place in the dictionary. Qi, well seeing as that's the traditional and correct spelling of a word already in there...I guess we have no choice. No longer do you need to hold on to a U just in case you pick the Q. Now you can play it pretty much anywhere.

Post subject: Re: Ruining Scrabble
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:18 pm 

Wait, how can you make ZZZ? I thought there was only one Z in the mix.

If you're interested in lighthouses, you might want to check it out.

DON'T BLAME ME I VOTED AGAINST AMENDMENT ONE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:22 am 
Board Emeritus

Wait, how can you make ZZZ? I thought there was only one Z in the mix.

Excellent question! How many Zs are there in a box of Scrabble letters? My son-in-law says there are three....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:49 am 
Board Emeritus

According to this [email=http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/355095/the-counts-components-scrabble]Site[/email], there is only one z.

But you could use the two blanks to make "ZZZ."

I don't think that ZZZ is a real word either.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:54 am 
Policy Wonk

Is Alfred Butts related to Seymore Butts? :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:45 pm 
Policy Wonk

I agree with the original post. My mother uses the scrabble dictionary when she plays at her senior center. Drives me nuts when she wants to use that thing when we play as a family.

We won't allow its use. Go with Webster's or OED. They have real words in them.

As an aside, "za" does appear in the Webster's on line dictionary as slang (Link). The rules do allow for the use of slang, as long as the word meets all of the other criteria for acceptability.

The dictionary we use is an older print version Webster's. It does not have "za" in it, so we disallowed it when my mother tried to pull that one on us.