EARTH....

News and events of the day
Number6

Re: EARTH....

Post by Number6 »

The residents of Superior, Colorado ordered to evacuate because of a fire. Power has been cut to 34,000 customers as winds whip the flames.
All residents in the Town of Superior — and Louisville — were directed to evacuate due to threat of fire Thursday afternoon.

At 2:50 p.m., officials announced pre-evacuation orders are in place for Broomfield residents at the Caliber at Flatirons Apartments, Retreat at Flatirons Apartments, Terracina of Broomfield Apartments, Vantage Point Apartments, Holiday Inn Express, and the Hyatt House in Broomfield.

Power was cut to more than 34,000 Xcel customers in the Superior and Louisville, officials reported. See the full Xcel Energy outage map here.

Intense winds fanned the flames and were expected to continue through the evening hours.
CBS Denver
When you vote left, you vote right.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

MASSIVE wind driven fire wiped out over 600homes apts cars animals lives along BoulderHWY tween boulder and denver.
100 MPH WINDS drove grass fires, took out over 600homes apts lives in a fairly residential subdiv area leaving
horses cattle animals to run wild thru fire areas and all these humans and animals with no place to live in freezing weather.

snow is looming soon....the ruin has been done.
those rockyMTS have...literally...no snow on Jan 1, 2022.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Colorado wildfires burn hundreds of homes, force evacuations

DENVER (AP) — An estimated 580 homes, a hotel and a shopping center have burned and tens of thousands of people were evacuated in wind-fueled wildfires outside Denver, officials said Thursday evening.

At least one first responder and six others were injured, though Boulder County Sheriff Joe Pelle acknowledged there could be more injuries and deaths could be possible due to the intensity of fires that quickly swept across the region as winds gusted up to 105 mph (169 kph).

https://apnews.com/article/wildfires-fi ... 66d783c29c
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Germany to shut down it's three of its six nuclear power plants as it moves from nuclear and fossil fuel to renewable energy.
Germany on Friday is shutting down half of the six nuclear plants it still has in operation, a year before the country draws the final curtain on its decades-long use of atomic power.

The decision to phase out nuclear power and shift from fossil fuels to renewable energy was first taken by the center-left government of Gerhard Schroeder in 2002.

But the German government said this week that decommissioning all nuclear plants next year and then phasing out the use of coal by 2030 won’t affect the country’s energy security or its goal of making Europe’s biggest economy “climate neutral” by 2045.
MSN
Drak

Post by Drak »

Number6 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:24 am Germany to shut down it's three of its six nuclear power plants as it moves from nuclear and fossil fuel to renewable energy.
Good news.

How do they de decommission the power plants? What happens to the reactor and waste?
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
ap215

Post by ap215 »

2 more earthquakes shake South Carolina’s Midlands region

ELGIN, S.C. (AP) — Two more earthquakes have struck near Columbia, South Carolina, where seven quakes have been felt since Monday.

The most recent earthquakes struck Tuesday in the Elgin area, about 20 miles (32 kilometers) northeast of Columbia, WLTX-TV reported. One of those was a 2.5 magnitude earthquake and the other a 2.36 magnitude quake.

https://apnews.com/article/science-envi ... 912789232f
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Long Beach suffers a massive 2 - 4 million gallon raw sewage spill affecting seven miles of beaches.
Between 2 million and 4 million gallons (7.6 million to 15 million liters) of raw sewage leaked into the Dominguez Channel, which empties into the Los Angeles harbor, it was discovered on Thursday, according to a press release from the City of Long Beach.

The leak occurred in the city of Carson and was caused by the failure of a 48-inch sewer main line, the release stated. It was not immediately clear why the line failed.

City water quality teams from Long Beach are testing the level of pollutants in the affected areas, which includes 7 miles (11 km) of beaches. Swimming in the waters will remain prohibited until the amounts of pollution return to within normal levels.
MSN
Number6

Post by Number6 »

California's snowpack is 160% above normal but that's not enough considering California has experienced it's driest two years on record.
California's mountain snow holds 160% of the water it normally does this time of year, state water officials announced Thursday, marking a strong start to the drought-stricken state's traditionally wet winter season.

About a third of California's water supply comes from snow as it melts and flows down from the Sierra Nevada and the Shasta-Trinity mountain range in northern California.

California just finished its second-driest year on record and many of the state's reservoirs that supply water for tens of millions of people are at historic lows. But several powerful storms swept through the state this month, dumping snow and causing some road closures and major disruptions.

“We need more storms and average temperatures this winter and spring, and we can’t be sure it’s coming," Nemeth said in a statement. “So, it’s important that we continue to do our part to keep conserving – we will need that water this summer.”
MSN
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

No we need so much snow to make up the deficit that the resulting sudden melt would cause another disaster.

It's a start, though. At least something got better. Not all better, but better. That's something.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:17 pm No we need so much that the resulting sudden melt would cause another disaster.

It's a start, though. At least something got better. Not all better, but better. That's something.
January and February might be dryer than normal so whatever is in the snowpack now may make up the bulk of our winter water. I'm hoping we'll get more rains but in smaller doses. The drought has been going on for a couple of years, with the last two years being the worst, so it'll take a couple of years of above average rain for us to get back to having our reservoirs back to normal levels.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Mercury Retrograde Will Happen 4 Times in 2022, and We're Maybe a Tiny Bit Worried

Whether you're someone who is known for asking for a person's exact time and place of birth within five minutes of meeting them or you have been asked those questions and had absolutely no idea why a stranger at the bar would need that information, you've most likely heard of the astronomical phenomenon known as Mercury retrograde, along with the mayhem that is said to accompany it. This strange event, often dreaded by astrologers, refers to an optical illusion in which Mercury appears to move backward in its orbit in relation to Earth. Astronomers call it "apparent retrograde motion," and it's not exclusive to the planet Mercury. However, to astrologers, Mercury's retrograde periods tend to cause inexplicable mishaps and tribulations. So if you're someone who is fiercely determined to avoid as many obstacles sent down by the universe as possible, you'll want to know exactly when you should be on the lookout for the times when Mercury is retrograde in 2022.

https://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/w ... =frontdoor
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Climate change will force major sports leagues to change. Is MLB ready?

On a 90-degree day in early July, shortly before the All-Star break, Milwaukee Brewers reliever Brent Suter squinted into the sun at Citi Field and said he often feels existential fear for the future of the planet.

Suter studied environmental science and public policy at Harvard, he namechecks the teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg as one of his biggest heroes, he’s a self-described “bird-etarian,” who hopes to go fully vegetarian or even vegan when his playing days are done.

https://www.aol.com/news/climate-change ... 00444.html
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Cold kills 22 stuck in cars in heavy snow at Pakistan resort

ISLAMABAD (AP) — At least 22 people, including 10 children, died in a popular mountain resort town in Pakistan after being stuck in their vehicles overnight during a heavy snowstorm as temperatures plummeted, officials said Saturday.

Most of the victims died of hypothermia, officials said. Among them was an Islamabad police officer and seven other members of his family, fellow police officer Atiq Ahmed said.

https://news.yahoo.com/cold-kills-16-st ... 47792.html
Number6

Post by Number6 »

The hurricane predicted to expand to northward to include cities like New York and Boston.
When Hurricane Sandy made landfall near New York City almost a decade ago, bringing huge storm surges and 7 inches of rain that caused widespread flooding and blackouts, the superstorm was seen as an exceedingly rare event. Though common in regions closer to the equator, including the Caribbean and along the Gulf Coast, such storms rarely make direct strikes on the northeastern U.S.

But a new study suggests that as the planet warms, the storms will become more common in mid-latitude regions—between 30 and 60 degrees latitude in both hemispheres—that include New York City and Boston as well as Beijing, Tokyo and other large cities in eastern Asia and Australia.

An expanding hurricane range means more people as well as homes and businesses may be at risk in coastal areas, said Jim Kossin, a former National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration scientist who wasn’t involved in the new research.

“It is very difficult to verify a climate model specifically for long-term multi-decadal changes in global tropical cyclones because of the uncertainty in observations,” said Hiroyuki Murakami, a project scientist with NOAA’s Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory who wasn’t involved in the study. But, he added, it was “reasonable to infer the possible poleward shift in tropical cyclone latitudes in the future” based on the study.
MSN
We know climate change is real, regardless of it being dismissed by republicans, and it will affect a wide range of things. If this prediction is correct then cities along the East and West Coasts need to begin making plans on how to mitigate the damage the rain, wind, and flooding will cause.

Although the article didn't specifically mention the West Coast I think we need to be prepared, just in case. The Pacific Ocean is colder than the Atlantic Ocean so there's less chance of a hurricane/typhoon forming. However, in the Western Pacific Ocean, the ocean temperatures are much higher so they'll be in the same boat as New York City and Boston.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

the half moon is at about...11:30am in the east sky NOW. 3:56PM.
moon is at about 11:30pm east sky the sun about 4pm west sky.

i find this so neat.
cant comprehend why as a kid growing up under wide skies i never noticed this moon thing...this rising of the moon
During The Day While I was Outside in it...opposing the sun.

its so cool.

jeez, if Saturn was sitting up there now too...wow....no one would be inside. we'd all be standing outside
staring up at the huge sky like the morons we are. 8-)
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

rainwater wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:00 pm the half moon is at about...11:30am in the east sky NOW. 3:56PM.
moon is at about 11:30pm east sky the sun about 4pm west sky.

i find this so neat.
cant comprehend why as a kid growing up under wide skies i never noticed this moon thing...this rising of the moon
During The Day While I was Outside in it...opposing the sun.

its so cool.

jeez, if Saturn was sitting up there now too...wow....no one would be inside. we'd all be standing outside
staring up at the huge sky like the morons we are. 8-)
It’s good you have clear skies without too much man made light to be able to see Saturn or other planets. I loved looking the night sky when I was in the desert or the rural parts of Germany where you can see the part of the Milky Way Galaxy and the stars looked like someone put twinkle lights in the sky. You can get lost for hours looking at that sky and sometimes you feel as you’re there among the stars.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

Number6 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:08 pm It’s good you have clear skies without too much man made light to be able to see Saturn or other planets. I loved looking the night sky when I was in the desert or the rural parts of Germany where you can see the part of the Milky Way Galaxy and the stars looked like someone put twinkle lights in the sky. You can get lost for hours looking at that sky and sometimes you feel as you’re there among the stars.
i have found in my travels...that the "dark night sky" isnt so dark in many places no where near city lights.
im sorta shocked by this. i was in Can with NO major light sources near by...the few stars in the nite sky shocked me.

same here where i am....not much for major metros or nite lites and still...very little star planets in the dark nite skies.
not sure i understand why this is. unless...the deforested land now gives up way much LIGHT ground, earth, that the
nite skies nite stars do not reflect back. idk.
HST.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

ap215 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:44 pm Mercury Retrograde Will Happen 4 Times in 2022, and We're Maybe a Tiny Bit Worried

Whether you're someone who is known for asking for a person's exact time and place of birth within five minutes of meeting them or you have been asked those questions and had absolutely no idea why a stranger at the bar would need that information, you've most likely heard of the astronomical phenomenon known as Mercury retrograde, along with the mayhem that is said to accompany it. This strange event, often dreaded by astrologers, refers to an optical illusion in which Mercury appears to move backward in its orbit in relation to Earth. Astronomers call it "apparent retrograde motion," and it's not exclusive to the planet Mercury. However, to astrologers, Mercury's retrograde periods tend to cause inexplicable mishaps and tribulations. So if you're someone who is fiercely determined to avoid as many obstacles sent down by the universe as possible, you'll want to know exactly when you should be on the lookout for the times when Mercury is retrograde in 2022.

https://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/w ... =frontdoor
Also in Venus retrograde till the end of January

WHERE IS WEBB?
WEBB IS FULLY DEPLOYED!
The largest, most complex telescope ever launched into space is fully deployed.
gonna use the earth to shield itself from the light of the sun so it can take pictures in the earths shadow
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Massive power outages strike Buenos Aires amid historic heat wave

While extreme cold has gripped parts of the United States in recent days, the very opposite has been true below the equator. In the Southern Hemisphere, summer is in full swing and a heat wave could shatter century-old temperature records in South America.

AccuWeather meteorologists say portions of the southern half of the continent will experience temperatures that could rival all-time record highs, which is expected to lead to a massive strain on local infrastructure.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... ve/1123903
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Underground volcano eruption causes 'tsunami activity' on Tonga

“Tsunami activity” was detected after an underground volcano eruption near the South Pacific country of Tonga, New Zealand’s National Emergency Management Agency tweeted on Saturday.

“We have issued a NATIONAL ADVISORY: TSUNAMI ACTIVITY following the Tongan eruption. We expect New Zealand coastal areas on the north and east coast of the North Island and the Chatham Islands to experience strong and unusual currents and unpredictable surges at the shore,” the agency tweeted.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... y-on-tonga
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

There's a tsunami advisory out from Alaska to the Mexican border. It sounds like a pretty wussy tsunami. Down here, we are warned to watch for unexpected ocean currents. No 300-foot waves. They closed the beaches anyway.

It's a cold, gloomy, rainy day, better weather than most of the CONUS but still nothing you'd advertise to icebound people in Iowa. I doubt there will be any beach goers to be disappointed.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:04 pm There's a tsunami advisory out from Alaska to the Mexican border. It sounds like a pretty wussy tsunami. Down here, we are warned to watch for unexpected ocean currents. No 300-foot waves. They closed the beaches anyway.
The Fukushima earthquake, in 2011, produced an earthquake causing $100 million in damage along the California coast. I remember watching the news and they showed boat docks damaged as well as some boats broke free from their docks.

It's a cold, gloomy, rainy day, better weather than most of the CONUS but still nothing you'd advertise to icebound people in Iowa. I doubt there will be any beach goers to be disappointed.
I doubt there will be many people on the beaches today since it's cold and overcast. There will be surfers who will figure out the tsunami may produce some bigger waves but I wouldn't count on that. Tsunamis tend to be tidal surges rather than a large "wave" that crashes onto the beach.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

We are advised that the next surge will be larger than the first one, but still nothing to get lathered up about. They're not evacuating the coastline they way they would if a big one impended.

If you haven't seen the satellite loop of the volcano blowing up, I advise that you do so. It's worth it. That was one mutthafukka bang. That volcano went kaflooey, big time. They've had some problems on neighboring islands. Thing is, it's about as far from the US as you can get and still be on this planet.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Successive waves continue to come in, though none is especially threatening. They manifest themselves as surges. They continue, many hours later, and the advisory remains open ended. It's the longest I can remember something like this lasting.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:41 pm Successive waves continue to come in, though none is especially threatening. They manifest themselves as surges. They continue, many hours later, and the advisory remains open ended. It's the longest I can remember something like this lasting.
Is there a camera you can refer to so that I can watch the waves?

found these

https://www.livebeaches.com/webcams/hun ... -live-cam/
I sigh in your general direction.