RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:49 am 
Board Emeritus

There's no secret ultrasonic weapon that causes brain damage and hearing loss while remaining undetectable. Press reports notwithstanding, the FBI does not have apparatus in custody, because such a system doesn't exist. Finally we have Ph.D.s confirming what Z the MFA was saying all along. We are being fed fake news here - WHY?

NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/scie ... eapon.html

Quote:
A ‘Sonic Attack’ on Diplomats in Cuba? These Scientists Doubt It

And while ultrasound can cause many of the symptoms reported, there’s no evidence that it can cause mild brain injury.

“I know of no acoustic effect that can cause concussion symptoms,” Dr. Altmann said. “Sound going through the air cannot shake your head.”

For all of these reasons, experts said, ultrasound weapons should not top the list of possible explanations for the hearing loss and headaches and other symptoms said to have been observed in diplomats.

“I believe those people got something that hurt them,” said Dr. Qin. “But it could be something in the environment.” The possibilities include toxins, or bacterial or viral infections, that can damage hearing

I'm inclined to agree. The inverse square law is a real bitch on this stuff. Ultrasound of course beams real nicely, so it's not hard to direct it, but get real, you still have to be either in the room with the people under attack or in possession of an apparatus that would be way bigger than an LRAD, the audible version of such a concept. And the LRAD isn't exactly tiny either. And the size of the transducer is not the issue... the power is the issue, and there are laws of physics about that too. You don't get a free lunch for energy, at least not on this scale. Even Spinal Tap knew you need a big amp to get to 11.

-------

Worse..... The lack of a plausible sonic weapon is the least of the problems. Why would the government be covering up what really happened, and allowing fake news to propagate? I can think of several reasons:

1. They don't know either. In other words, there's no cover up. There is only more of this administration's general ineptitude.

2. They know who did it and how, but that's not considered relevant. It's too good an opportunity to backtrack from Obama's Cuba policy.

3. They know that Russia did it, which is plausible given Putin's current geopolitical policies, but it serves their priorities to say nothing.

3a. Note that, for now, the idea that Cuba did it is not viable. That country would lose a lot, and gain very little. Cui Bono, and all that.

4. They did it. I like this one. Four possibilities:

4a: The US intell community did the attack, and they're not about to talk. It wouldn't be the first time. It would only be the first time in a while. In other words, it's a false flag from day one. I like this idea. It's supported by other experiences with secret aid to and/or from covert exile groups.

4b: They put Cuba up to it. I don't think much of this idea. What do they gain? Mostly, they lose, and big.

4c: Russia put them up to it. A big stretch, but in this administration anything's possible.

5. There's one more possibility. Nobody did it. It never happened. It's a made up story. This would explain the shortage of hard facts here, and of course it wouldn't be the first time. However, I tend to think that it did happen. After all, Canada is saying the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

ZoWie, I read the article and in it I found these statement which goes hand in hand with a bit of internet research I did, and a paper I found published by Professors at the Colorado School of mines:

One possibility is infrasound — low-frequency sound that cannot be heard by humans. A report by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences in 2002 noted that the military had tried to weaponize infrasound but had not succeeded because it was hard to focus the wavelengths.

I think it is possible that our military may have concluded that infrasound is hard to focus back when traditional sound systems with gigantic speakers was all we had.

I found a system at the Colorado School of mines which might overcome that problem of focus. A phased array which uses an array of high frequency generators to produce a collimated beam of low-frequency sound via nonlinear interaction in air. It's an audio analog of laser theory. Because it's a beam which is generated it largely mitigates the inverse square law issue too.

I'm going to move most of my post from that other thread here. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21123&p=378312#p378312
Quote:
I found a Colorado School of Mines scientific research paper for research they conducted for the US Army. For something the Army wanted to use to detonate land mines at a distance without touching them.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a533326.pdf

Producing an intense, collimated beam of low-frequency (200-1000 Hz) sound via nonlinear interaction in air (parametric array)

"The goal of this task is to produce an intense, collimated beam of low-frequency (200-1000 Hz) sound that can be directed to insonify a chosen target area."

The paper is brief. There's a photo of the device. It looks like a two foot square piece of plywood mounted with 24 ceramic ultrasound transducers. The principle its amplifier controller works on would be somewhat similar to a phased array radar system, producing phase tuned 40 kHz and a 40.5 kHz sinusoidal signals.

It produces a 500Hz sonic beam with a remarkable power over distance factor, they have data which shows the acoustic intensity propagating as a beam.

Their test data is measured in line amplitude sound pressure units scaled in Pascals. At 10 meters producing 180 Pa.

To place that in context the standard reference sound pressure level, the threshold of hearing for a 1000 Hz tone is 2 x 10-5 Pa.

The threshold of pain, the maximum sound pressure that can be perceived without pain is about 100 Pa.

This laboratory toy produces 180 Pa at 10 meters.

The intensity of a sound is proportional to the square of the sound pressure. I1/I2 = (P1/P2)2 (180/100)2 = 3.24 which means at 10 meters it produces 3.24 times that threshold of pain, not just 1.8.

It would look like an array of low profile disks on a flat vertical plane surface.

It could it be disguised to look like architectural decoration on the sides of buildings. Or be screened by some covering. It could look like pok-a-dots on glass or any hard surface if one took the insides of these sound generators from their cases and directly applied them to some surface.

It could be made to look like a solar cell panel although the orientation wouldn't be correct for solar cells because it would need to be a vertical surface not one oriented toward the sky.

It could look like this, although it would work better if the sides were vertical, (more building like), not sloping up toward the sky:

That's Pakistan's phased array radar. If there were enough elements in the array the beam of sound could be steered in the same way a phased array radar beam can. It could be made to follow a people as they walked to their car across a parking lot. It might be possible to focus it on a window and have it enter that part of another remote building.

Once I found research had been done which proved that an intense collimated beam of low-frequency sound via nonlinear interaction in air could be produced by flat parametric array, I realized what I had thought was a case of hysterical contagion might be real.

And it be something which a radar engineer having read that paper could cobble together for a few thousand bucks. Quite possibly insofar as the controller and power supply are concerned utilizing slightly modified radar gear. The parametric array those professors who wrote that paper made a toy. Such a system could be scaled up and the power increase to the point that an effective beam could be projected over long distances, perhaps as much as a mile. It would need to be line of sight, steering does not imply they could bend it around corners, but line of sight leaves a lot of possibilities open.

It could look like an advertisement bill board. :|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

The AP has a recording of the sound.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=Nw5MLAu-kKs[/BBvideo]

It woke up my tinnitus in moments. It will take twenty or thirty minutes for that to die down. :|

I've heard that sound before, it's the sound a florescent lighting ballast makes when it's frying. In the moments before it fails, overheats and stinks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

The AP has a recording of the sound.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=Nw5MLAu-kKs[/BBvideo]

It woke up my tinnitus in moments. It will take twenty or thirty minutes for that to die down. :|

I've heard that sound before, it's the sound a florescent lighting ballast makes when it's frying. In the moments before it fails, overheats and stinks.

I've heard that loud from ballasts as well. also seen them catch fire when they go.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

3. They know that Russia did it, which is plausible given Putin's current geopolitical policies, but it serves their priorities to say nothing.

Incident In Uzbekistan Raising Suspicions Russia Involved In Cuba Sonic Attacks
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/11/28/uz ... c-attacks/

WASHINGTON (CBSMiami) – A newly revealed incident by a U.S. officer based at the American embassy in Uzbekistan is raising suspicions that Russia might have been involved in the bizarre Cuba attacks.

In September, the officer and his wife reported, according to one source familiar with the incident, what may have been at least one acoustic attack similar to those experienced by the diplomats in Havana.

The first Cuba attacks began in November 2016, and the last report of an attack was in August 2017.

A recording of what some U.S. embassy workers heard in Havana sounded similar to shrieking crickets but with an electronic twang.

The recording is just one of the many sounds taken in Cuba that led investigators to initially believe it was a sonic weapon.

U.S. officials said the attacks caused hearing, cognitive, visual, balance, sleep and other problems.

According to medical records reviewed exclusively by CBS News, a U.S. doctor who evaluated American and Canadian diplomats working in Havana diagnosed them with conditions as serious as mild traumatic brain injury, and with likely damage to the central nervous system.

The source told CBS News that officer and his wife were flown out of Tashkent by the State Department to be evaluated. It is unclear what further diagnosis or care they have had following their departure from Tashkent.

The State Department declined to describe in detail the incident, only saying no one on the U.S. staff in Tashkent has suffered similar health issues to those experienced by victims of the Cuba attacks.

[snip][end]

Obviously, it's not Cubans going after diplomats in Tashkent.

Secondly, I am noticing one increasing thought in considerations of these events. Everyone assumes these are "sonic" attacks possibly using infrasound. However, this may not be a sonic weapon. One of the possible effects of electromagnetic pulses on the brain, at least depending on which areas are targeted (i.e. auditory cortex), is auditory hallucinations that might sound, to the person, like loud noises or tones.

Perhaps these aren't "sonic" attacks per se, as it seems unusual for any type of that sort of "weapon" to cause these kinds of health effects.

I should also note, interestingly enough, while the Trump admin has validated the cases that occurred in Cuba, they're still claiming this Uzbekistan attack, which would have almost certainly been Russian in origin, may be a hoax. Why the differential attitude? Obviously, given recent revelations, I think the answer might be close to painfully obvious.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've read all about the sounds people hear, and how well targeted they are. One guy would hear them in bed, but nowhere else.

Ultrasound would beam this tightly, but there is no way to do it without an apparatus the size of a car (with power supply). Infrasound doesn't beam. It's like trying to control an earthquake.

Microwave is kind of an unknown for me. RF can induce auditory hallucinations or the ears can pick up vibrations from stray rectification in the head. Russia has used microwave in the past, but no one's ever heard anything from it. Friend wrote a book and made something of a career after being (allegedly) damaged by a microwave beam in DC. He had all kinds of weird problems, then he got cancer and died.

I'm now even more convinced that Russia is responsible, if in fact there are attacks and not some kind of psychological thing. Drumpf's denial kind of ices it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

why would this only happen in cuba.
why not jersey.
the WH.
miami.