Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:54 pm 
Policy Wonk

3 dead, 15 injured following shooting at Aztec High School

AZTEC, N.M. – New Mexico State Police say two students are dead following a shooting Thursday morning at Aztec High School in Aztec, New Mexico. The shooter is also dead. It is unknown at this time if the shooter is a student.

http://www.kob.com/new-mexico-news/deve ... 1/?cat=500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Reckon what would happen if it was NRA Headquarters in Faifax, VA that got riddled with hot lead.

PS - it's not a fucking tragedy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thoughts and Prayers...

Wash, rinse, repeat...

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's too soon to talk about gun control.

Wash, rinse, repeat...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:57 pm 
Political Junkie

Enough. What are we doing wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's thirty or so miles as the crow flies, and 50 miles as a car drives from where I grew up in Colorado. Our school sports teams played theirs.

As I remember it when I was in school two or three of their students, or students from Farmington which is very near by, were caught robbing and killing Navajos who were drunk and sleeping it off in the sage brush on the outskirts of town.

That kind of robbery was for their jewelry, and it was referred to as rolling Indians. That kind of robbery also occurred in the sage brush west of my town as well, but the robbers there weren't killing them and taking body parts as souvenirs. I remember kids in my high school suggesting I join them in doing that without the killing part being included, but no one ever suggested that in my presence more than once. :|

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

This.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

The people of this country love their guns and celebrate the country's democratized gun carnage. That includes way, way too many alleged liberal Democrats who love their guns.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

the people of AztecNM are having a candlelight vigil while the gas wells flare off in the hills sides
all around them.

its a nice small community on the main drag to SW CO. hwy 550. theyre pretty tight and
ive No idea who sold off all the rights that let these corps come in and set fire to the hillsides
along All the valleys filled with gas wells.

the Aztec Ruins monument...thats pretty cool. the gathering room...wow...95TON pillars no one
has a Clue how they got them there or stood them on end. sitting inside you look at them and wonder
...wtf, how did they stand these pillars up? i mean you can make shit up about how they got them
there and all...but then, standing them on edge to support the roof?...yah, we cant do that today.

then the building ruins...somehow got covered buried in 25ft of dirt.
then, they got dug out. my question was....um, howd they get covered in dirt?
no one seems to "know for sure".
ok, well, these buildings sit in a river bed draining the water off the RockyMountains and the Snow.
id guess a big rush of water came down this riverbed and covered all this stuff up so we could dig
it out centuries later.
the area is full of high mesas and low valleys. water ran thru the valleys as rivers and tributaries
for centuries.

anyhow, my input on tiny AztecNM. those people go back a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:02 am 
Policy Wonk

they are saying it was a student who did the shooting

Shooter among dead in New Mexico high school shooting

Quote:
.........Two New Mexico high school students were fatally shot Thursday by another student who later died at the scene, authorities said.

San Juan County, N.M., operations officer Mark Stark confirmed the shooter was an Aztec High School student, though no other information, including a motive for the attack, was immediately available........

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:17 pm 
Policy Wonk

Aztec High School gunman was former student, planned attack

Quote:
San Juan County Sheriff Ken Christesen identified the gunman in Thursday's deadly high school shooting as 21-year-old William Atchison, from Aztec.

Christesen said the shooting was planned out by the gunman, who officials said was able to disguise himself as a student to get into the school. He had attended Aztec High School in the past but was not enrolled at the time of the incident.

"It's important to understand how focused he was, how deranged he was, in his intent," Christesen said in a Friday morning news conference...........

Quote:
................. Officials say they have no reason to believe Fernandez and Marquez were targeted.

"We just happen to believe they were in the wrong place at the wrong time," Christesen said.

He said Atchison continued to walk up and down the halls, firing at random.

Kassetas added police arrived at the school and shot out some windows to get inside just moments before Atchison apparently took his own life.

The news conference started with Gov. Susana Martinez saying she had spent the evening meeting with Aztec residents, as well as families of the victims...............

Gunman identified in deadly Aztec school shooting

Quote:
........Investigators say that he only had one gun during the shooting with multiple magazines. They also say that he purchased it last month locally and legally.

The San Juan County Sheriff is calling this an act of cowardice.

Investigators found a thumb drive on Atchison. The following letter was found on that thumb drive:

December 7, 2017
If things go according to plan, today would be when I die.
I wait until the school buses are detected, then head out on foot disguised as a student.
I go somewhere and gear up, then hold a class hostage and go apesh**, then blow my brains out.

Work suck, school sucks, life sucks.

I just want out of this sh**.

F*** this state, it really is bad. Think I’m insane? I’m actually more rational, peaceful and less loony than a majority of the citizenry of this entire region.

Investigators found another note in a trash can at his home with plans of the shooting that was broken down to the hour.........

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

We get it, William Atchison. Life sucks, you hate your life. I don't counsel suicide - there are always ways your life can get better. A therapist can help you.

What I can't call rational or peaceful are people who hate their life, decide to check out of this world, AND figure it's also good to take a few people with them. I hate suicide. I hate people more who want to add some homicide cherry to their sundae.

You can exit this world. I agree it often sucks. What I can't get is why the fuck you think you have the right to take other people, maybe especially young people with a lot of life ahead of them, with you, unwillingly.

It doesn't even seem like you were after anybody who "wronged" you at the high school, some school bully, some asshole teacher. That might even make slightly more sense. No, it seems you went there to kill a few random fellow students, "just cuz". I'm checking out, let's take a few kids with me.

You want me to call you rational? Fuck no.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

New Mexico school gunman was ex-student investigated by FBI

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-new- ... SKBN1E22UR

"TAOS, New Mexico (Reuters) - A gunman who killed two students at a New Mexico high school and then took his own life was a former student who was investigated by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation last year after he asked online about buying weapons for a mass shooting, officials said on Friday."

-----

"In March 2016, Atchison was interviewed by the FBI, which had acted on a tip about a comment he made on an online gaming site. “If you’re going to conduct a mass shooting does anyone know about cheap assault rifles?” FBI special agent Terry Wade said Atchison asked. The FBI closed its investigation after determining no crime was committed, Wade said."

He bought a gun last month "locally and legally."

:shock:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

We get it, William Atchison. Life sucks, you hate your life. I don't counsel suicide - there are always ways your life can get better. A therapist can help you.

What I can't call rational or peaceful are people who hate their life, decide to check out of this world, AND figure it's also good to take a few people with them. I hate suicide. I hate people more who want to add some homicide cherry to their sundae.

You can exit this world. I agree it often sucks. What I can't get is why the fuck you think you have the right to take other people, maybe especially young people with a lot of life ahead of them, with you, unwillingly.

It doesn't even seem like you were after anybody who "wronged" you at the high school, some school bully, some asshole teacher. That might even make slightly more sense. No, it seems you went there to kill a few random fellow students, "just cuz". I'm checking out, let's take a few kids with me.

You want me to call you rational? Fuck no.

Just one point about the shooter. About the great majority of these shooters. Pissed off is not mentally ill.

Violence is no more common in the mentally ill than it is in the general population. In fact the mentally ill are more often victims of violence, not perpetrators.

Getting guns out of the hands of the mentally ill is right wing gunner bullshit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

To be clear, I'm not making a mental health diagnosis. His "suicide note" says he was more rational and peaceful than the other people around him. Not that I can see, not having made this choice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:32 am 
Board Emeritus

To be clear, I'm not making a mental health diagnosis. His "suicide note" says he was more rational and peaceful than the other people around him. Not that I can see, not having made this choice.

Not suggesting you were diagnosing. Your comments on the shooters rant about his shitty life and about how the world sucks just got me thinking about the pattern I see in these guys. Simply pissed off.

The right and the NRA will try to make it all about him being insane. Nope, not insane.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:57 am 
Board Emeritus

Not suggesting you were diagnosing. Your comments on the shooters rant about his shitty life and about how the world sucks just got me thinking about the pattern I see in these guys. Simply pissed off.

The right and the NRA will try to make it all about him being insane. Nope, not insane.

Insane, or not insane, that doesn't deal with it. He's an Atchison. That explains it to me.

If I didn't know his name and someone showed me a photo of him I would have said he's an Atchison, or related to one. I don't know him but I do know his clan and his family name.

His people came out of the Ozarks of Missouri, some moved on to Kansas, then some moved on to the Four Corners area. The ones I know are of the Church of the First Born, real peculiar people.

They're extreme faith healers, they don't for any reason go to see a doctor, they willingly die if they get sick. And they get sick a lot because they've been inbreeding for who knows how many generations. I've talked about that bunch a few times.

Because of them living in our community we had the CDC come to town a couple of times when I was growing up to force immunize us for awful diseases. They would line us up, the whole town, and we all got our air injected shots.

Since he grew up in Aztec he might be from ones who have broken away from their cult. That, or they've expanded their cult and they've built a new church in Aztec since I was in the area.

:|

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:20 pm 
Policy Wonk

a lot of these shooters in their early 20s like suicide bombers in the middleast.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:48 am 
Policy Wonk

Insane, or not insane, that doesn't deal with it. He's an Atchison. That explains it to me.

If I didn't know his name and someone showed me a photo of him I would have said he's an Atchison, or related to one. I don't know him but I do know his clan and his family name.

His people came out of the Ozarks of Missouri, some moved on to Kansas, then some moved on to the Four Corners area. The ones I know are of the Church of the First Born, real peculiar people.

They're extreme faith healers, they don't for any reason go to see a doctor, they willingly die if they get sick. And they get sick a lot because they've been inbreeding for who knows how many generations. I've talked about that bunch a few times.

Because of them living in our community we had the CDC come to town a couple of times when I was growing up to force immunize us for awful diseases. They would line us up, the whole town, and we all got our air injected shots.

Since he grew up in Aztec he might be from ones who have broken away from their cult. That, or they've expanded their cult and they've built a new church in Aztec since I was in the area.

:|

I wonder if that cult is related to the "Followers of Christ," another cult originating in Oklahoma but now in Kansas and Oregon.

I lost several HS classmates over the years who were members of that cult...they too refuse to seek medical help when they become ill. Some have gone to jail for not seeking medical treatment for their kids.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:55 am 
Board Emeritus

I wonder if that cult is related to the "Followers of Christ," another cult originating in Oklahoma but now in Kansas and Oregon.

I lost several HS classmates over the years who were members of that cult...they too refuse to seek medical help when they become ill. Some have gone to jail for not seeking medical treatment for their kids.

They're basically the same cult or church.

The Church of the First Born's founder Jacob McDonald baptized Marion Reece the founder of Followers of Christ. That sounds sort of like two churches but the names are interchangeable. They're different names for the same bunch. Kansas is their holy land, Chanute and Arkansas City, Kansas, then the Reece bunch moved on to Oklahoma, then on to Oregon and California.

"General Assembly" is another name they frequently use. They've had a bunch of names over the years, and they've been called even more names.

They refuse to do military service too, and they've seen quite a bit of trouble over that as well.

Wikipedia has pages on them, under the General Assembly and Church of the First Born names, and under the Followers of Christ name. But if one reads the details in those different pages one can see they are the same group with sucker like tentacles like an octopus has.

I know a lot about them because when I was managing a restaurant and skating rink for my dad after I got out of the Air Force for a year and a half, I hired four sisters who were from that church. They worked for me for more than a year. They were hard workers and nice girls. I asked questions and they told me a lot about their ways.

I would have helped them escape but they didn't want to escape. :|

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:17 am 
Policy Wonk

Yeah, when I was in HS, we referred to them as "The Kissing Church." Apparently, a rumor that the elders greet each other with a kiss.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:00 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, when I was in HS, we referred to them as "The Kissing Church." Apparently, a rumor that the elders greet each other with a kiss.

Yes I have heard that name as well. This in in the General Assembly and Church of the First Born wiki page:

"The group has been known as the "Followers of Christ", "True Vine" or "Viners", "Peculiar People", "McDonaldites" and "Kissers".

The nicer people in my town often called them "Peculiar People." I called them that above.

The less nice people in town called them "snake dancers," or "snake eaters."

It was a common rumor that the preachers of the church would tease a rattle snaking into striking a stuffed sock several times until it had used up it's venom, then they would bring the snake into a meeting with the parishioners where they would dance with it until it bit them. Then they would pray and pray for life, and low and behold because they were so holy the lord would spare them and they wouldn't die from the snake bite.

According to the girls I talked to about it, one of their early leaders, McDonald or Reese or some other founder they didn't exactly know who did use a snake to demonstrate their healing power, but they said nothing stupid like that had been done by their pastors in recent times.

The local pastor was reputed by even non-church members to be pretty good at setting broken bones. The girls told me their pastor was their doctor. I asked them if their pastor was their doctor, why couldn't they go to some other doctor, someone who had better training to be a doctor?

They kind of were confused by that logic, it disturbed them and then they didn't want to talk about their church with me for a while.

They wanted out of that church, but on the other hand they didn't want out of it. These girls faced pregnancy and child birth, and would be expected to produce children one every year or two until it killed them. Their mother was still alive, but she was also pregnant again, her twelfth or thirteenth child. They were afraid their mothers latest pregnancy was going to kill her, her pregnancy before that one had almost killed her.

Wars kill men, love kills women. In that church the men do not go to war, but the women were still expected to go to love. :|

I think the second oldest girl might have left the church, she seemed to be working up to it last time I talked with her. But I don't know what happened to them, I moved away and never saw them, or have heard about them again.