RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:11 pm 
Policy Wonk

No related to a UPS strike but there is talk UPS won't be delivering packages on Saturday in December
which is going to cause major delays in the holiday season. Likely they will do what they usually do
which is to dump pallets after pallets of their parcels on the back dock of every Post Office which will
cause some more 14 hour days for me.
In some ways it is related. Letting the USPS deliver 'the last mile' is a significant subsidy to UPS, FedEx and the like. From distribution center/post office to the recipient the is most expensive portion of the delivery process. This lets them offload part of the cost to the subsidized postal service...especially in remote areas.

On the other hand, I guess the significant added business in someways helps the postal service as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

Without the workers UPS wouldn't be in business.
Well, yeah...But without the "management," infrastructure, trucks, distribution centers, advertising, accounts payables and accounts receivable, planning, etc it wouldn't be in business either. Thats what successful business are about 'management' and 'workers' teaming together. A successful union/A successful management views itself as part of a team...not always in conflict.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:19 pm 
Policy Wonk

Not so long ago, if UPS were threatened with a strike, FEDEX would break a sweat. There was no way FEDEX could handle UPS's volume. UPS knew it.

You don't hear that much panic anymore. Fedex is into ground and there are a lot of carriers out there to help pick up the slack. So UPS has much to lose in a strike. Market share they might never get back.
I know I'd switch my business on day one. I regularly compare smaller packages to USPS costs.

Frankly, and this is probably hard to believe, to me UPS tends to be the easiest of the three options to deal with...but maybe its out of habit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:40 am 
Board Emeritus

Well, yeah...But without the "management," infrastructure, trucks, distribution centers, advertising, accounts payables and accounts receivable, planning, etc it wouldn't be in business either. Thats what successful business are about 'management' and 'workers' teaming together. A successful union/A successful management views itself as part of a team...not always in conflict.

You are right. That proves the point that management shouldn't be abusing and exploiting their workers.