The massacre of the buffalo was a crime against the earth itself — wouldn’t you agree?

News and events of the day
Libertas

The massacre of the buffalo was a crime against the earth itself — wouldn’t you agree?

Post by Libertas »

I sigh in your general direction.
bird

Re: The massacre of the buffalo was a crime against the earth itself — wouldn’t you agree?

Post by bird »

Well, humans.

Just because we can do something doesn’t mean we should.

But that never stopped us before.
ProfX

Re: The massacre of the buffalo was a crime against the earth itself — wouldn’t you agree?

Post by ProfX »

Fortunately, we have been able to bring back the American bison from extinction. It was the railroads that largely wiped them out.

That's good. Bison is an extremely tasty, low-fat meat, I get mine at Wild Forks.

Just one thing. There have been a number of stories about people trying to pet bison in National Parks. Don't. The only reason you should be close to a bison is it's on the other side of a strong fence. Otherwise, don't get that close.

You'll thank me later. I wouldn't enjoy going to your funeral.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

ProfX wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:24 pm Fortunately, we have been able to bring back the American bison from extinction. It was the railroads that largely wiped them out.

That's good. Bison is an extremely tasty, low-fat meat, I get mine at Wild Forks.

Just one thing. There have been a number of stories about people trying to pet bison in National Parks. Don't. The only reason you should be close to a bison is it's on the other side of a strong fence. Otherwise, don't get that close.

You'll thank me later. I wouldn't enjoy going to your funeral.
They have a fairly large herd of Bison in Shelby Farms which is a large public park in Memphis just a mile or so from where I used to live. I drove by them all the time. People could park on the road and walk over to the fence. I never gave it much thought because I saw them all the time but it was kinda cool. How often do you see a herd of Bison?
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Well, I've seen (small) herds of them.

But yeah, stay on the other side of the fence. I recommend it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bison-gore ... onal-park/
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:45 pm ... I never gave it much thought because ...
This should be your sig.

Dead bison and buffalo were part of the genocide of Native Americans, perpetrated by conservative whites.

JFC these braindead cons.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

America's Recovering Bison Populations Are Restoring the US Landscape
https://www.inverse.com/article/52602-b ... eat-plains

People and Bison
Whether thought of as a resource to be utilized or symbolic of more, bison and humans have been intertwined for centuries.
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/bison/people.htm

Did you know? ...

In 2016, the North American bison was declared the national mammal of the United States. National Bison Day has been observed annually on the first Saturday in November since 2012.

[snip][end]
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Not just white supremacism, though that's bad enough, but also corporate greed, repurposing of land for farming, the use of trains as convenient gun platforms, the deliberate denial of a food supply during wars with the indigenous peoples, and the switch from Native American sustenance hunting to industrial scale exploitation. Everything worked against them. They came back from about as close to extinction as a species can get.

Of course it was a crime against the Earth. There seems to be a lot of that going around. It wasn't just the plains. Look what happened to forested areas. Starting with the Western expansion, as exacerbated by need for mine timbers and other forest products, the forests were changed from fully balanced ecosystems to doomed messes. Some were replaced by non-native species that can't take the winters. "What's the problem? It's still green, isn't it?" Among other issues, fires that used to be beneficial now crown and take everything, making giant billowing mushroom clouds that look like nuke explosions and drop ash hundreds of miles downwind. This doesn't leave a better forest. It leaves moonscape. If the fires don't get them, the revival of clearcutting will. They replant shit that's green, but it's not the same. Either way, erosion wins. We haven't learned a thing.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22