Canadian Trucker Protest

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: Canadian Trucker Protest

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:33 am i apologize to all Canadians for our involvement. But, come on man, there's no conservative movement adding to the fire in Canada?

It's not just American money. This is going on all over the world. I think it was France that just passed a law banning truck blockades.
Bannon and crew are building a transnational movement by exporting homegrown confederacy. It’s not just the big talkers with the cash munny, either. They’ve got footsoldiers voting for them and making excuses for them.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

One aspect of this I haven't seen much reported on:

https://www.axios.com/canadian-truck-pr ... 38eca.html

What's happening: Factories facing a shortage of parts have been forced to stop production on both sides of the border after protesters supporting the truckers blocked access to Detroit's Ambassador Bridge.

The span is a lifeline for the U.S. auto industry, connecting Detroit to Windsor, Ontario, and carrying 25% of all U.S.-Canada trade, per the AP.
The bridge is also the country's only privately owned border crossing.

Michigan billionaire Matthew Moroun, the owner, whose family also runs a giant trucking empire, told Crain's Detroit Business that Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau either needs to end Canada's COVID vaccine mandate for truck drivers (90% are already vaccinated) or start arresting protesters.
The third option, he said, is to "do nothing and hope it goes away."

[snip][end]

Moroun privately owns the Ambassador Bridge these truckers are blockading, and he apparently supports them. So, we can debate what should be in private ownership hands, but what about a conduit for 25% of all trade between the U.S. and Canada? Apparently, this presents part of the problem with handling the situation - that bridge is privately owned, it's not public space.

So, they are protesting the vaccine mandate for truckers, when in fact, in Canada, 90% of all truckers are already vaccinated. These people really are a noisy minority. Now I get the argument that the mandate may not be necessary anymore, given those stats, but we should not so easily give in to terrorist demands.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:24 am It was pretty obvious it was bait and you bit. :)
It's pretty obvious you're more interested in playing stupid shit games instead of discussions or debates.
Don't get me going about the Teamsters union. A lot of it is their own fault. Union management, not so much the truckers.
Yes and no. The Teamsters have a major corruption problem, and things haven't gotten much better over the years.

But the blame is also on deregulation and the companies working to increase profits by screwing the workers.
i hear tell somewhere between 50 and a 100 thousand truck drivers are needed to alleviate the supply problems we are having. It was one of the reasons i posted about the kid that was recently jailed when he lost control of his rig. The industry will be more willing to put any warm body in a seat and give him the keys to 18 wheels. Not good for future accident projections.
The job sucks. The unions made sure the drivers were treated decently and paid well. Times have changed. The NYT had an excellent article a few days ago about the problems with the job. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/09/busi ... rtage.html

Of course if the GOP and corporations get their way, they'll open the Mexican border to all Mexican trucks and drivers, working for less than a dollar an hour, to pick up and deliver across the nation.
Drak

Post by Drak »

bradman wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:33 am i apologize to all Canadians for our involvement. But, come on man, there's no conservative movement adding to the fire in Canada?

It's not just American money. This is going on all over the world. I think it was France that just passed a law banning truck blockades.
And?

What are you apologizing for? Do you fund the groups funding this op? These are the same groups that funded J6. That is a fact. And these groups are funded domestically and by foreign capital. Have you not been following what’s been going on for the last 5 years? There’s and ongoing world wide attack going on against western democracies.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
bradman

Post by bradman »

Drak wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:10 am

What are you apologizing for? Do you fund the groups funding this op? These are the same groups that funded J6. That is a fact. And these groups are funded domestically and by foreign capital. Have you not been following what’s been going on for the last 5 years? There’s and ongoing world wide attack going on against western democracies.
As an American, i'd apologize to the world for giving them Trump. Sorry, our country is half full of assholes. Can't live with them, can't shoot 'em.

And that you even ask the second question is a signal to me.

Later dude.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
Drak

Post by Drak »

bradman wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:27 am As an American, i'd apologize to the world for giving them Trump. Sorry, our country is half full of assholes. Can't live with them, can't shoot 'em.

And that you even ask the second question is a signal to me.

Later dude.
Do I think you actually fund those groups? No. My point was, you don’t need to apologize for something that has nothing to do with you. But you do seem to have a habit of being susceptible to RW propaganda.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
bradman

Post by bradman »

Drak wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:32 am Do I think you actually fund those groups? No. My point was, you don’t need to apologize for something that has nothing to do with you. But you do seem to have a habit of being susceptible to RW propaganda.
My mistake, my apologies.

[bold]If that's the case, it's not working. i've voted DFL all my life.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:42 am My mistake, my apologies.

[bold]If that's the case, it's not working. i've voted DFL all my life.
You’re a Bush voter viewtopic.php?p=14240#p14240 who constantly slings rightwing propaganda under guise of being a fencesitter and so-called moderate.

MLK was right about you.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:09 am It's pretty obvious you're more interested in playing stupid shit games instead of discussions or debates.

Yes and no. The Teamsters have a major corruption problem, and things haven't gotten much better over the years.

But the blame is also on deregulation and the companies working to increase profits by screwing the workers.

The job sucks. The unions made sure the drivers were treated decently and paid well. Times have changed. The NYT had an excellent article a few days ago about the problems with the job. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/09/busi ... rtage.html

Of course if the GOP and corporations get their way, they'll open the Mexican border to all Mexican trucks and drivers, working for less than a dollar an hour, to pick up and deliver across the nation.
[bold] i clicked on a perfectly neutral headline only to find clickbait material when opened. And i'm the one playing shit games. (how's that for taking your bait, eh.)

Can't get by the Times pay wall but have read many articles like it. i've held a Class A my whole life. i have an interest.

Me, i'm hoping U.S. police departments and government authorities are watching and learning from what's happening in Canada. Unlike Canada, i'm hoping U.S. authorities are already lining up big rig tow outfits to actually co-operate with authorities to remove 18 wheelers if needed. If that don't work, i hear the National Guard has some of the best salvage equipment in the world. If it works out like i hope it will, they'll find themselves and their trucks in a simular position as those that stormed the Capital. In jail.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I don't have much faith in the big rig tow companies to alienate shippers who provide them with business. It's not all police rotation tow. The US military certainly has the capability to clear roads, and one hopes that unlike Canada they use it. Biden hopefully gets it that right now it's not about working conditions in the trucking industry, it's about the right wing anti-vax pro-gun pro-Putin ultra-populist agenda. They know that dissatisfaction is the prime mover of history, and they'll jump on covid measures same as they did with white supremacy and guns.

I have sincere doubts that truckers in the US are going to form up as close to Inglewood as the cops will let them get (which would stop the airport dead in the water too), prevent the super bowl from happening, then roll their mighty convoy cross the USA like in the song/movie.

It's the ultra right that's the problem. It always is.
Last edited by ZoWie on Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... -telegram/

Need new thread titled "American Trucker Protest" as they will attack us next. These are violent terrorists.

Before dawn on January 30, Regina Anne Bateson, a resident of Ottawa, Canada, loaded her skis into her car and headed out to one of her favorite cross-country trails. She was looking forward to some solitude—she rarely encountered others at this time of day. But as she approached the trailhead, she came upon an odd sight: dozens of big-rig trucks lining the road, their idling motors piercing the stillness.

This was the start of an ongoing seizure of Canada’s capital by truckers and others in protest of vaccine and mask mandates. Over the next few weeks, Bateson watched the protests snowball into a full-scale occupation of Ottawa’s downtown core. Trucks have completely halted traffic and disrupted US-Canada border crossings crucial for commerce. Protesters in the city center have settled in, using mobile saunas to keep warm. Amid their barbecues and bouncy castles, some have displayed flags decorated with swastikas. One group allegedly tried to start a fire in the lobby of an apartment building. “It has spiraled and spiraled and spiraled into an attempt to overthrow the government,” Bateson says.
Cons are terrorists.

And I hope extreme measures will be taken if the following happens:
On TikTok this week, Denise Aguilar, founder of Freedom Angels Foundation and the far-right women’s group Mamalitia, urged her followers to support a March 1 convoy in Washington, DC. “You don’t have to be a trucker,” she said. “We’re looking for mom vans, too!” She encourages people to host parties at local parks to collect supplies. “Have some music and get involved with your community,” she enthused. “Truckers make the world go round, and if anyone is going to put a stop to these mandates, it’s them—just watch what Canada’s doing.” She invited viewers to join her on Telegram to assist in her organizing efforts.
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Internet rhetoric is internet rhetoric. Were the entire trucking industry to rise up and paralyze the government, the US would collapse. But they won't. The problem is less the numbers than the fact that about 20 big rigs can stop any highway in the nation permanently, or until the military steps in. It's an ancient European tactic, and one reason why governments are unstable over there. They routinely shut down commerce to provoke crises, or at least try to.

That would make the Bannon types even happier since their only true agenda is the collapse of world order. They care about as much about truck drivers as nearly all of the people making the most noise in Canada. That's not much.
Last edited by ZoWie on Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:25 pm Internet rhetoric is internet rhetoric. Were the entire trucking industry to rise up and paralyze the government, the US would collapse. But they won't. The problem is less the numbers than the fact that about 20 big rigs can stop any highway in the nation permanently, or until the military steps in. That would make the Bannon types even happier since their only true agenda is the collapse of world order. They care about as much about truck drivers as half the people making the most noise in Canada. That's not much.
I still say AGGRESSIVELY arrest them if they do this.

Watching a FASCINATING Randi Rhodes show today which included CNN report and another video, inflation is being caused by intentional price gouging by Corp America, their 2021 profits were off the chart. Journalists on earnings calls say since there is no pushback to price increases they will continue. Say hello to the real enemy, I guess.

But of course Biden will be blamed.

The corporations are bragging about how much they are price gouging.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Watch CNBC and you'll see how much of this is hype. They have in the past few hours moved seamlessly from the Super Bowl being the best thing since the stock market was invented, to interest rates and bond yields being the problem, to Russia's apparent (and still completely unconfirmed) decision to risk WWIII being the problem. Just like that. It's all hype.

The real problem that I see is Canada's failure to do what they do in Europe when there's one of these, which is about once a year, and declare a national emergency with military activation. I did notice that Canada has declared a local emergency in Ottawa and it's getting closer. Also the owner of the bridge to Windsor Ontario has decided to take action. (The bridge is privately owned, apparently.)
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:33 pm Watch CNBC and you'll see how much of this is hype. They have in the past few hours moved seamlessly from the Super Bowl being the best thing since the stock market was invented, to interest rates and bond yields being the problem, to Russia's apparent (and still completely unconfirmed) decision to risk WWIII being the problem. Just like that. It's all hype.

The real problem that I see is Canada's failure to do what they do in Europe when there's one of these, which is about once a year, and declare a national emergency with military activation. I did notice that Canada has declared a local emergency in Ottawa and it's getting closer. Also the owner of the bridge to Windsor Ontario has decided to take action. (The bridge is privately owned, apparently.)
Wow, even I blamed the money the govt handed out because of how poorly the traitor responded to the pandemic as the reason for inflation.

I was WRONG, the inflation is artificially being created by the corporations, they are admitting it on CNBC live TV.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

What, you mean CNBC changed their tune AGAIN after I turned the damn thing off and got on with my life? It was all Ukraine when I punched out.

OF COURSE the corporations will jump on any excuse to raise prices. They love scarcity. It makes the machine go.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The inflation was never about Biden's insipid covid response. That's more hype. Corporate propaganda.

The inflation was about the disruptions caused by covid, by a few other badly timed disruptions to key shipping routes such as the Suez Canal disaster, and then by the usual business types jumping at a chance to raise prices. Now they can even blame the Fed. Anyone but themselves, their system, and their enablers on both sides of the aisle.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Look. It's this simple.

We get water delivered. I don't know why, but Ms. Z likes it and is willing to pay for it, and I do admit that the stuff makes better coffee than the swill coming out of LA's pipes. NYC city water it ain't.

Soon after covid, the deliveries stopped. You couldn't get the stuff. The markets sold out and then they couldn't get it either.

The reason was clear from day one. Offices closed, cutting demand, and then drivers got laid off and/or got sick. Then when demand picked back up, no one wanted their shitty jobs back. They'd either retired or found better things to do for a living than haul 50 pound bottles up stairs 12 hours a day.

Now they're training new people, who aren't very good at it yet.

The companies will tell you that, the analysts will tell you that, and common sense will tell you that.

Supply chain is real, but it has many causes, most of them relating more to what a shitty job our leaders were doing when the covid hit, and how out of touch with reality our priorities were and still are.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

> Canadian "trucker" "protest"

The idea is an old one, and it started in Europe. It was a brief fantasy in the US during the 55 MPH speed limit. IIRC, that was a rather ill advised attempt at energy saving dreamed up by Republicans who didn't want to attack the real problem which at the time was 10 per cent oil scarcity and 90 per cent the recently de-colonized Middle East wanting more money for stuff that came from under their sand. There was a song, and a movie, about a mighty truck convoy starting "a mile out of Shakey Town" (LA), and ending up in DC with "a thousand screaming trucks, and xx long-haired Friends of Jesus in a chartreuse Microbus."

Now someone in this hemisphere actually up and did it.

BFD. France has these yearly, and they call out le gendarmarie (military police) or whoever and deal with the problem. It's democracy, it's messy, and shit happens. Unlike Russia, which the American right secretly envies for some odd reason, probably financial.

They don't speak for the millions of truckers who replaced railroads in many cases and who of course always went the last mile anyway. They speak for malcontents who have found a new boogyman to exploit, namely the normal human reluctance to let some lady in a white uniform stick a needle into their bodies.

Bannon is a malcontent, and a neo-Leninist one at that. drumpf is a malcontent as much as he has any politics at all, and mostly he's an over-the-edge certifiable loon. The rest are self-serving parasites who either found (or inherited) a lucrative alternative to working for a living, or found a way to get elected to office by suckers who believe anything if it hits the right buttons. They give homage and fealty to Putin and he gives favors and better stock tips than the ones on CNBC.

Really.

That simple.

When all else fails with these people, European countries call out the troops or round up the usual suspects, depending on the situation. Maybe they have the right idea. Maybe not. Another thing we might try is some Internet counter-bullshit-ism.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Teamsters denouncing trucker terrorists but GOP and trump support this violent attack on America.

Cons are just violent.

https://teamster.org/2022/02/teamsters- ... an-border/

I assume our board trucker is a Teamster and does NOT support this terrorism? And I am assuming our board cons have little to say about it as well.

OH man what I would give for the old Teamsters to show up and take care of this for us. :lol: :twisted:
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:15 am It's pretty obvious I wasn't insulting truckers - I was insulting conservatives.

Truckers once had unions that made their jobs at least monetarily worthwhile. I had a friend in Junior High whose dad was a Teamster truck driver. He retired with a 30-and-out pension. But Carter deregulated the industry and they destroyed the union, so truckers are screwed every day now. My cousin who I was close to was a real owner-operator, not the quasi-employees they are now.
Here’s the quote. Precisely what you posted.

“ One thing truckers love is money. They want to be making it as much as they can. But they can also be lazy. So, if someone offers them big money to just sit in their truck, they'll always jump at that chance.”

You said it and meant it. Just own it.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:08 pm Here’s the quote. Precisely what you posted.

“ One thing truckers love is money. They want to be making it as much as they can. But they can also be lazy. So, if someone offers them big money to just sit in their truck, they'll always jump at that chance.”

You said it and meant it. Just own it.
Have fun.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

ProfX wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:57 am One aspect of this I haven't seen much reported on:

https://www.axios.com/canadian-truck-pr ... 38eca.html

What's happening: Factories facing a shortage of parts have been forced to stop production on both sides of the border after protesters supporting the truckers blocked access to Detroit's Ambassador Bridge.

The span is a lifeline for the U.S. auto industry, connecting Detroit to Windsor, Ontario, and carrying 25% of all U.S.-Canada trade, per the AP.
The bridge is also the country's only privately owned border crossing.

Michigan billionaire Matthew Moroun, the owner, whose family also runs a giant trucking empire, told Crain's Detroit Business that Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau either needs to end Canada's COVID vaccine mandate for truck drivers (90% are already vaccinated) or start arresting protesters.
The third option, he said, is to "do nothing and hope it goes away."

[snip][end]

Moroun privately owns the Ambassador Bridge these truckers are blockading, and he apparently supports them. So, we can debate what should be in private ownership hands, but what about a conduit for 25% of all trade between the U.S. and Canada? Apparently, this presents part of the problem with handling the situation - that bridge is privately owned, it's not public space.

So, they are protesting the vaccine mandate for truckers, when in fact, in Canada, 90% of all truckers are already vaccinated. These people really are a noisy minority. Now I get the argument that the mandate may not be necessary anymore, given those stats, but we should not so easily give in to terrorist demands.
Do you think its because shutting down the supply chain during record profits would result in more profit and inflation and be used as a pretext to justify more aid to corporate businesses hurt by it?

Judge grants injunction to end Ambassador Bridge trucker blockade
...The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, National Association of Manufacturers and Business Roundtable said the disruptions at Ambassador Bridge and at other crossings are adding to the supply chain strains on manufacturers and other businesses.
Threatening $100,000 dollar fines to people they regularly give tax credits and rebates to that doesnt seem too menacing unless your just a poor person who wont get that money right back in the next round of corporate giveaways
"The business community is rolling up its sleeves to find workarounds and keep facilities up and running," they said in a joint statement. "But we are already seeing some production cuts, shift reductions, and temporary plant closures."
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:15 am It's pretty obvious I wasn't insulting truckers - I was insulting conservatives.

Truckers once had unions that made their jobs at least monetarily worthwhile. I had a friend in Junior High whose dad was a Teamster truck driver. He retired with a 30-and-out pension. But Carter deregulated the industry and they destroyed the union, so truckers are screwed every day now. My cousin who I was close to was a real owner-operator, not the quasi-employees they are now.
We know that is how you meant it, obviously. By they way, someone who lies about who they are should not be allowed to post on this board, so , you know.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:11 pmHave fun.
Are you going to own peddling rightwing trash on a constant basis? No?

Okay.

~ Ida B. Wells