Judge Throws Out Palin Libel Case Against NY Times.

News and events of the day
marindem01

Judge Throws Out Palin Libel Case Against NY Times.

Post by marindem01 »

A judge has ruled that a libel lawsuit former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin filed against the New York Times over a 2017 editorial should be thrown out because her lawyers failed to produce evidence that the newspaper knew what it wrote about her was false or acted recklessly towards indications it was false.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/1 ... g-00008719

The ruling from U.S. District Court Judge Jed Rakoff came as a Manhattan jury was deliberating on Palin’s suit, which claimed the Times defamed her by unfairly linking her to a 2011 shooting spree in Arizona that killed six people and gravely wounded then-Rep. Gabby Giffords.

Well No Shit Sherlock. Palin never had a case. Go find a snow machine Caribou Barbie. Ride off and never come back.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Number6

Re: Judge Throws Out Palin Libel Case Against NY Times.

Post by Number6 »

Here's why the judge said he was throwing it out.
"My job is to apply the law. The law here sets a very high standard for actual malice, and in this case the court finds that that standard has not been met."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/jury-resumes ... 23807.html
I guess the judge won't be getting a Valentine Card from the Alaskan Hillbilly.
When you vote left, you vote right.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Oh Goody. Now Palin will play the victim card yet again. I think she's playing from a 52-card deck made up solely of victim cards.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

Palin and her lawyers have no expectation of winning this case. They expect to loose on appeal. It’s baked in because of the “actual malice” standard established in New York Times vs Sullivan. This is a test case targeted at the Supreme Court with the intent to overturn the “actual malice” standard. And Thomas and Gorsuch are awaiting.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:13 pm Palin and her lawyers have no expectation of winning this case. They expect to loose on appeal. It’s baked in because of the “actual malice” standard established in New York Times vs Sullivan. This is a test case targeted at the Supreme Court with the intent to overturn the “actual malice” standard. And Thomas and Gorsuch are awaiting.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember when conservatives decried legislating from the bench.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Freedom of the Press is important - and the right is all for censorship of any voices that aren't Donald Trump.

But in a way, there's a tiny part of me that wishes she would win, because Fox News and most of the right-wing noise machine would be out of business. Obama could sue for all the birther lies, and the Clintons could sue for all the accusations of the murders they supposedly committed in Arkansas.

If the right had to tell the truth, they'd be bankrupt in days.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:11 pm Freedom of the Press is important - and the right is all for censorship of any voices that aren't Donald Trump.

But in a way, there's a tiny part of me that wishes she would win, because Fox News and most of the right-wing noise machine would be out of business. Obama could sue for all the birther lies, and the Clintons could sue for all the accusations of the murders they supposedly committed in Arkansas.

If the right had to tell the truth, they'd be bankrupt in days.
Cons hate the press and their freedom. The truth is NEVER something a con has on their side, so the press is their biggest enemy.

I can prove it by proving my other challenge: "When left and right disagree, the right is always wrong, always."
And I can prove it but they NEVER take me up.
I sigh in your general direction.
gounion

Post by gounion »

They are always on the wrong side of history.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:03 pm They are always on the wrong side of history.
Have the cons here come out in support of the United States and NATO over Putin yet?
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Senator John McCain was by in large a decent, kind and open minded person. He was very much a Goldwater Republican.

That said, he allowed Steve Schmidt to tell him how an important a Woman, a Republican Woman had to be added to the ticket. McCain wanted his old paly, buddy and chum Joe Libermann to be his V.P. choice.

Never that Libermann was a Democrat, he and McCain were buds.

Rather than Libermann, Schmidt wanted a WShe OMAN on the ticket. More importantly, he wanted a WOMAN he knew HE could manage. In fact Schmidt went so far to appoint Nicole Wallace as the handler of the VP, who would later become Sarah Palin, a one term Republican Governor of Alaska.

Palin, as it turns out was a disaster. Pali ncould not ever list the publications she read. "I'll Get Back Ya". was hardly an answer.

By the end of the 2008 Campaign, Wallace was defeated. She did not even vote in '08 election. She now calls herself, "A recovering Republican".

Palin resigned as Governor to become, as is best described (as in '1776"), "A Non-Entity".

She played her one hit wonder for all it was worth.

STFU Sarah, you are boring.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:13 pm Palin and her lawyers have no expectation of winning this case. They expect to loose on appeal. It’s baked in because of the “actual malice” standard established in New York Times vs Sullivan. This is a test case targeted at the Supreme Court with the intent to overturn the “actual malice” standard. And Thomas and Gorsuch are awaiting.
activist judges

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Number6 »

I think the judge was sending her a special message, yesterday, that said:

Happy Valentine's Day!
gounion

Post by gounion »

Jury threw the case out, too.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:26 pm Jury threw the case out, too.
On MSNBC, they're reporting the jury ruled against her. As it was pointed out earlier by someone, this case is designed to go to the Supreme Court in the hopes they'll lessen the burden of proof in libel cases.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Dirty, murderous bigot.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:43 pm Dirty, murderous bigot.
Even if our democracy survives (I would bet money it wont) the SC will do what it was put there to do, destroy everything that makes us America or is meant to and we wont accept that which will result in endless civil unrest or war.
gounion

Post by gounion »

What would Fox News do if she won her case?