The Christmas Thread

News and events of the day
sam lefthand

The Christmas Thread

Post by sam lefthand »

The Christmas Thread comes early this year because the White House Christmas tree comes early this year.

I've already got a calendar alert for Thursday the 4th programmed on my phone. The "Sugar Bear Christmas tree comes through town."

This is a photo of it coming out of the forest:

:|

This is a video of it coming toward town: https://twitter.com/i/status/1453936612006531073

I've got the time and date programmed into my phone to insure I don't accidentally go to town when that tree is going to be in town. Which would cause me in my car to not be able to fit in town along with that tree. Everyone else is going to want to go to town then, so that's when I don't want to go there.

I have no idea where they're going to turn that thing around once it gets to town. It might have to stay.

:shock:

The sordid details are here: https://twitter.com/USCapitolTree

The travel itinerary is here: https://kmph.com/news/local/capitol-chr ... -way-to-dc
Number6

Re: The Christmas Thread

Post by Number6 »

WHat date and time does the War on Christmas begin?
Last edited by Number6 on Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Dunno, but the purported supply chain problems gave the Christmas advertising machine an excuse to start early this year. I've been seeing ads for 2-3 weeks now.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Number6 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:15 pm WHat date and time does the War on Christmas begin?
:lol:

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:54 pm
bradman

Post by bradman »

After trick or treating last night the whole family relaxed and watched a couple Halloween shows.

8:00 this morning.......... Home Alone was playing.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:09 am After trick or treating last night the whole family relaxed and watched a couple Halloween shows.

8:00 this morning.......... Home Alone was playing.
We had a couple hundred kids last night. My street looked like the midway at the fair.
bradman

Post by bradman »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:52 am We had a couple hundred kids last night. My street looked like the midway at the fair.
Same here. i was surprised. Even a few years before Covid trick or treating had dropped off to maybe a dozen doorbell rings. It was crazy, and elaborate, this year. We even had a old International H tractor pulling a big ol' hay wagon full of parents and kids thru the neighborhood.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

Of course, last year I was still in Maryland, and there were just a few homes here, but my community will be over 700 homes when finished, but it's pretty big now.

So, we sat out on our driveway, and probably had about a hundred, till we ran out of candy, but it was winding down. I was pretty generous with the candy... we had the good stuff from Costco. It was a big block party.

And that's a big difference from the past. Before we sold our house in Texas and moved, you knocked doors. Here, they only went where people were outside. Of course, it was in the low sixties last night, might be different if it's colder. But everyone on the neighborhood FB Group was saying they were going to be outside, cooking and partying. I guess that's the new normal?
bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:15 am Of course, last year I was still in Maryland, and there were just a few homes here, but my community will be over 700 homes when finished, but it's pretty big now.

So, we sat out on our driveway, and probably had about a hundred, till we ran out of candy, but it was winding down. I was pretty generous with the candy... we had the good stuff from Costco. It was a big block party.

And that's a big difference from the past. Before we sold our house in Texas and moved, you knocked doors. Here, they only went where people were outside. Of course, it was in the low sixties last night, might be different if it's colder. But everyone on the neighborhood FB Group was saying they were going to be outside, cooking and partying. I guess that's the new normal?
That was the elaborate part of it. Driveway setups. Lots of them. What i kinda liked, Some of them had activities for the children complete with seating and beverages for the parents.. Another had a lit maze they could go thru....a hay ride. Could be the new norm. i liked it. More importantly, the grandkids loved it.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:11 am Same here. i was surprised. Even a few years before Covid trick or treating had dropped off to maybe a dozen doorbell rings. It was crazy, and elaborate, this year. We even had a old International H tractor pulling a big ol' hay wagon full of parents and kids thru the neighborhood.
We did the same thing. They took 4 or 5 loads. They would stop on some neighboring street and let them trick or treat for a while.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:26 am That was the elaborate part of it. Driveway setups. Lots of them. What i kinda liked, Some of them had activities for the children complete with seating and beverages for the parents.. Another had a lit maze they could go thru....a hay ride. Could be the new norm. i liked it. More importantly, the grandkids loved it.
We did the same thing last year. Lots of fun and a good chance to get to know your neighbors. We’ve been here 20 years and I am seeing people I have never met. Sadly, it is our last year in this house. We are moving in January.
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:26 am That was the elaborate part of it. Driveway setups. Lots of them. What i kinda liked, Some of them had activities for the children complete with seating and beverages for the parents.. Another had a lit maze they could go thru....a hay ride. Could be the new norm. i liked it. More importantly, the grandkids loved it.
We just had a few decorations and candy. We weren't really ready for it. I may get more elaborate next year, now that we have the time.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Number6 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:15 pm WHat date and time does the War on Christmas begin?
Sometime after the War on Halloween is over, I am informed by my MAGA Nut Job Neighbor that there was a War on Halloween, when it was declared I do not know....
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

How to make a Hanukkah Bush

You need a 2x2 or round closet rod material, cut it to a length for the amount needed for the base you will use plus 3/4 of the height of the Hanukkah Bush you want to build. You need to make a stand or have a Christmas tree stand to stick the 2x2 into.

Then you need a drill and a 1/4 inch drill bit. Stand the 2x2 in the stand you have and then drill a hole into the 2x2 everywhere you want to have a limb. I drill the holes the 2x2 in a climbing spiral makin 8 holes around the 2x2, on all the flats and on all the corners makes 8 going around, for ever 8 going around about 4 inches the spiral climbs, for each hole move up the post 1/2 an inch. Starting at the base and more toward the top for the last 2 spirals I drill those holes at an angle such that when a trimming is inserted into the post it is angled up some like a tree limb, angle the holes more at the top and at the very top there is one home going straight up.

Then one collects the bits trimmed off of an evergreen or shrub. And bits trimmed off of bushes or trees that have nice red berries. I like Hawthorn twigs:

I re-drill the holes larger if the limb I'm about to install in the hole is larger needing a larger hole. Then I glue each limb in it's hole with Elmer's school glue, when I'm done I have a nice Hanukkah Bush ready to decorate like as if it were a Christmas tree, but being Jewish we don't do Christmas trees you see.

We have "Hanukkah Bushes" and having half of the limbs being red Hawthorn berries is how one tells "Hanukkah Bushes" apart from those Christmas trees. Otherwise they are somewhat like Christmas trees.

So you could make a Christmas tree this same way by not using 1/2 Hawthorn twigs, just use all evergreen trimmings instead.

:)

A bush, a tree, whatever it is, it takes me about as long to make one as it does to drive to the place where they sell them. No matter where I've lived there have always been the materials at hand to make one. I remember one time in a city setting gathering the trimmings along a walk where there were trees growing along a path. My back pack was sort of suddenly filled with the trimmings I needed as I walked along that nice path.

:D
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

sam lefthand wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:54 pm The Christmas Thread comes early this year because the White House Christmas tree comes early this year.

I've already got a calendar alert for Thursday the 4th programmed on my phone. The "Sugar Bear Christmas tree comes through town."

This is a photo of it coming out of the forest:

This is a video of it coming toward town: https://twitter.com/i/status/1453936612006531073

I've got the time and date programmed into my phone to insure I don't accidentally go to town when that tree is going to be in town. Which would cause me in my car to not be able to fit in town along with that tree. Everyone else is going to want to go to town then, so that's when I don't want to go there.

I have no idea where they're going to turn that thing around once it gets to town. It might have to stay.

:shock:

The sordid details are here: https://twitter.com/USCapitolTree

The travel itinerary is here: https://kmph.com/news/local/capitol-chr ... -way-to-dc
Very familiar territory to me, in fact that 101 "grade" near Crescent City is bad, my son wrecked there last year.

When I googled this I got a tree out of North Carolina or something so that must have been last year, this is cool
I sigh in your general direction.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

marindem01 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:15 am Sometime after the War on Halloween is over, I am informed by my MAGA Nut Job Neighbor that there was a War on Halloween, when it was declared I do not know....
I imagine that war on Halloween has been going on for as long as there have been Churches with grumpy church ladies always ready to shake their hand bags at kids, scolding them for liking the sinful devil's Halloween. That religious war on Halloween has been going on for like forever.

This new war on Christmas has only been going on for as long as that Neil Cavato has been working for Fox News. Compare a relative few years with 20 centuries there has been a war on Halloween.

Toonces

Post by Toonces »

I do hope that no one took Ali Alexander's advice and poured "holy water" on children.

That's where we stand now in the culture war, the far-right recommending that we assault children.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

wow. just realized ive prolly lost my running horse avvy.....bummer man.

iirc Ely made that for me.

wow. sigh.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

ZoWie wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:36 pm Dunno, but the purported supply chain problems gave the Christmas advertising machine an excuse to start early this year. I've been seeing ads for 2-3 weeks now.
im seeing ads for having black friday Every day til...hell freezes.

'us' cant even keep up with its own trash, cant even organize a national recycle of its clean cardboard trash.
alllllllll that cardboard, made from trees, going in the dumpsters!!
who needs trees when we have so much drought to share. that warm cuddly feeling of 100 degrees.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Went to Costco then grocery store today here in Tennessee. ZERO empty shelves in both, plenty of toilet paper in each store.

I was young, but I remember a “coffee shortage” back in the sixties, it must have been. My parents lived on coffee, so it was a huge deal to them. While the shelves were ALWAYS full, there was all this talk of a shortage. I think the prices doubled or something like that. But when the “shortage” was over, the prices never came down…

Maybe some of that at work here. Corporations are quite devious. It takes people to STOP buying at inflated prices to get the price to come down.
Drak

Post by Drak »

rainwater wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:31 pm wow. just realized ive prolly lost my running horse avvy.....bummer man.

iirc Ely made that for me.

wow. sigh.
how about this?

"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:09 pm Went to Costco then grocery store today here in Tennessee. ZERO empty shelves in both, plenty of toilet paper in each store.
Costco can fill empty shelves with other product to give the appearance of not being out of anything. Having said that, whenever I go to Costco, which is weekly, most of the items I look for/at are well stocked.
I was young, but I remember a “coffee shortage” back in the sixties, it must have been. My parents lived on coffee, so it was a huge deal to them. While the shelves were ALWAYS full, there was all this talk of a shortage. I think the prices doubled or something like that. But when the “shortage” was over, the prices never came down…
IIRC, that was in the early 70s when there was a cold snap in Brazil that ruined their season's coffee crop.
Maybe some of that at work here. Corporations are quite devious. It takes people to STOP buying at inflated prices to get the price to come down.
One of the things I learned while in college in the early 70s was that most of the market for any product was controlled by three companies. That is, most of the sales for the product were made by three companies. Much of that still holds true today so it wouldn't be inconceivable for competing companies to withhold or slow down production to increase prices without having to communicate what their doing to each other. Basically, one company starts and the other companies respond depending upon if the first company see no loss of sales. Then, when the consumer gets use to the higher price the companies all of a sudden have enough product to sell at the higher price. Ferengi economics 101.
When you vote left, you vote right.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:15 pm Costco can fill empty shelves with other product to give the appearance of not being out of anything. Having said that, whenever I go to Costco, which is weekly, most of the items I look for/at are well stocked.

IIRC, that was in the early 70s when there was a cold snap in Brazil that ruined their season's coffee crop.

One of the things I learned while in college in the early 70s was that most of the market for any product was controlled by three companies. That is, most of the sales for the product were made by three companies. Much of that still holds true today so it wouldn't be inconceivable for competing companies to withhold or slow down production to increase prices without having to communicate what their doing to each other. Basically, one company starts and the other companies respond depending upon if the first company see no loss of sales. Then, when the consumer gets use to the higher price the companies all of a sudden have enough product to sell at the higher price. Ferengi economics 101.
Yep, that was it. And they got the market cornered, and are happy to collude to fix prices. But somehow, folks like Glenn will blame the Democrats. Just like he's blaming us now for gas prices.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

Drak wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:18 pm how about this?

OMG you found it!!!.
i went thru all sorta mail links looking and while ive got a link it wont work anymore.

lets see if i can do this...at all..let alone correctly.

wow drak.... :D
HST.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The Internet never forgets.

"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22