Gas prices

News and events of the day
JoeMemphis

Re: Gas prices

Post by JoeMemphis »

Most of the political corruption in the State of Tennessee in the last 20 to 30 years has been Democrats. Gov Ray Blanton, John Ford, Ricky Peete to name just a few.

If Republicans are committing corrupt acts then investigate then and prosecute them. I have no issue with that. However, you cannot cease all operations in the State because of a general accusation of corruption against an entire party. Not every Republican is corrupt just as not every Democrat is corrupt. If we were to judge based on the history alone the Democrats would lose. More of the people who have gone to prison in this state for corruption have been Democrats
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Today in I Am Such An “Independent” I Am So Objective And Unbiased!!!!
JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:54 pm Most of the political corruption in the State of Tennessee in the last 20 to 30 years has been Democrats.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Ted wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:58 pm I fully support both the town's vote to keep their charter intact and the comptroller's decision to take over the finances of the community.
So-called moderates are just dishonest cons.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:54 pm Most of the political corruption in the State of Tennessee in the last 20 to 30 years has been Democrats. Gov Ray Blanton, John Ford, Ricky Peete to name just a few.

If Republicans are committing corrupt acts then investigate then and prosecute them. I have no issue with that. However, you cannot cease all operations in the State because of a general accusation of corruption against an entire party. Not every Republican is corrupt just as not every Democrat is corrupt. If we were to judge based on the history alone the Democrats would lose. More of the people who have gone to prison in this state for corruption have been Democrats
They are indicted now and have been resigning from office. But you'd vote for them anyway, wouldn't you?

You guys control government, and you're filling your pockets now. I don't trust that a comptroller hand-picked by corrupt politicians have the people's best interests at heart. They probably want all the city's contracts to go to their cronies for inflated prices.

But you gotta love the excuses. "The dems were corrupt in the past, so it's okay for us to be corrupt!"
Ted

Post by Ted »

carmenjonze wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:21 pm So-called moderates are just dishonest cons.
Have you read any more about what's going on in Mason?

If you want unbiased information then I would suggest starting with the available audit reports.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Ted wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:46 pm Have you read any more about what's going on in Mason?

If you want unbiased information then I would suggest starting with the available audit reports.
I have not read the audit reports. I will check them out.

But I can tell you, any conservative that has a picture of one of the most racist, anti-Black presidents, ever, as a profile pic, really should not be talking about what is and what is not unbiased, ijs.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:28 pm They are indicted now and have been resigning from office. But you'd vote for them anyway, wouldn't you?

You guys control government, and you're filling your pockets now. I don't trust that a comptroller hand-picked by corrupt politicians have the people's best interests at heart. They probably want all the city's contracts to go to their cronies for inflated prices.

But you gotta love the excuses. "The dems were corrupt in the past, so it's okay for us to be corrupt!"
Whom exactly has been indicted and whom exactly has resigned? Just so we know the extent of the corruption you are referencing and how widespread it is within the party.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Ted's doing just fine.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:44 pm Whom exactly has been indicted and whom exactly has resigned? Just so we know the extent of the corruption you are referencing and how widespread it is within the party.
Check it out for yourself. Ever heard of Google?
bradman

Post by bradman »

Ted wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:16 pm The timing is absolutely open for discussion. The comptroller has provided reasoning to answer the question of "why now" and that's in the link I provided. Here's more info from the comptroller's office about the financial situation in Mason - https://comptroller.tn.gov/content/dam/ ... lFacts.pdf

It seems to me that they have provided a reasonable explanation to answer the "why now" question.

If you take a look at the town's recent audits it's hard to say that they don't need financial guidance. Search "Mason" in the link below.

https://comptroller.tn.gov/advanced-sea ... 2page%22:1}

Finally, how is this a cash grab? Who is gaining cash or something of value from situation in Mason?
The Town has recently had its water and sewer infrastructure reviewed for current and future needs. The
Town’s infrastructure needs cannot be funded given its current financial condition. Estimated costs for
necessary improvements include:
• $40.3 Million needed to improve and support anticipated growth in Mason’s Wastewater System
• $12.9 Million needed to improve and support anticipated growth in Mason’s Water System
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:13 pm Check it out for yourself. Ever heard of Google?
You made the accusation. I did google it and I found one Republican lately and one Democrat lately. Historically I gave you three names. One an ex governor. One an ex state senator. Another is a two time loser and ex Memphis city council member. I’ll add another candidate for governor and his brother - Jake and CH Butcher both of whom went to jail on multiple counts of bank fraud. And you can’t come up with one name.

So much for your claim of basing your opinions on actual facts.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:20 pm You made the accusation. I did google it and I found one Republican lately and one Democrat lately. Historically I gave you three names. One an ex governor. One an ex state senator. Another is a two time loser and ex Memphis city council member. I’ll add another candidate for governor and his brother - Jake and CH Butcher both of whom went to jail on multiple counts of bank fraud. And you can’t come up with one name.

So much for your claim of basing your opinions on actual facts.
Did you notice the Speaker of the House resigned?

Or the House Rep?

What you’re saying is that since Dems have been corrupt, it’s fine for the GOP to do the same.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:24 pm Did you notice the Speaker of the House resigned?

Or the House Rep?

What you’re saying is that since Dems have been corrupt, it’s fine for the GOP to do the same.
They are resigning because of sexting. Not corruption. You implied they planned to award contracts to cronies. You implied the “corruption” was extensive. What you failed to mention is that most of his caucas and the governor are calling for his resignation. You have shown zero evidence against the comptroller. Baseless allegations. What you also ignore are the countless actual convictions of numerous Democrat office holders in the state for actual corruption. So no I never said corruption of any kind was acceptable at any time. I just don’t ignore well over half of the actual cases in the state.

So much for your “facts”.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:33 pm They are resigning because of sexting. Not corruption. You implied they planned to award contracts to cronies. You implied the “corruption” was extensive. What you failed to mention is that most of his caucas and the governor are calling for his resignation. You have shown zero evidence against the comptroller. Baseless allegations. What you also ignore are the countless actual convictions of numerous Democrat office holders in the state for actual corruption. So no I never said corruption of any kind was acceptable at any time. I just don’t ignore well over half of the actual cases in the state.

So much for your “facts”.
So I guess Anthony Weiner shouldn't have resigned?

And since you say there's no corruption, you should look up State Rep. Robin Smith, R-Hixson and Sen. Brian Kelsey, R-Germantown. Hey he may be a buddy of yours.

But the corruption conspiracy seems to go deeper:
Neither Casada nor Cothren were directly named in the indictment of Smith, and so far, neither has been charged. But the indictment released Monday makes their identities clear, and it portrays a plan in which they were deeply involved.

The scheme is said to have begun in November 2019 — just months after Cothren was forced to resign his legislative job and Casada was voted out as House speaker. That followed the release of several sexist and racist text threads that they took part in.

More: Republican Tennessee House Speaker To Resign After Lewd And Sexist Texts

After leaving the legislature, prosecutors say Cothren, identified in their indictment as “Individual 2,” set up a company called Phoenix Solutions LLC that offered mail and consulting services to members of the legislature who faced primary challengers. Prosecutors say Cothren then worked with Smith and Casada, known as “Individual 1,” to come up with a fictitious backstory: that the company was run by a person named Matthew Phoenix, a former Washington political operative living in New Mexico.

Over the next several months, Phoenix Solutions billed lawmakers tens of thousands of dollars for constituent communications and campaign mailers. When Sexton’s office asked to work with the vendor directly, Smith served as a go-between, helping Phoenix Solutions get approval while misleading Sexton’s aides over who was really behind the firm. In exchange, Smith’s consulting company was paid more than $24,000, prosecutors say.

More: Read the indictment of state Rep. Robin Smith

Casada, R-Franklin, has already announced he does not plan to seek another term in the legislature and will instead run for Williamson County clerk.

Sexton said in a prepared statement that the resignation of Smith, who also once served as chair of the Tennessee Republican Party, “is a sad day for all who know her.” But he said he will continue to work with FBI investigators.

“I commend the Federal Bureau of Investigation for their diligence, hard work, and dedication throughout this investigation,” he said. “It is clear in the charging documents that certain individuals used their official capacity to target General Assembly members and the Republican Caucus by using a fake company to siphon off money illegally and deceptively.”
So this makes your post, as Ron Ziglar used to say during another famous GOP corruption scandal, "inoperative".

Let's also realize that Donald Trump's GOP is the most corrupt party EVER right now.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:44 pm So I guess Anthony Weiner shouldn't have resigned?

And since you say there's no corruption, you should look up State Rep. Robin Smith, R-Hixson and Sen. Brian Kelsey, R-Germantown. Hey he may be a buddy of yours.

But the corruption conspiracy seems to go deeper:

So this makes your post, as Ron Ziglar used to say during another famous GOP corruption scandal, "inoperative".

Let's also realize that Donald Trump's GOP is the most corrupt party EVER right now.
Let’s stick to TN for the moment. What you failed to
mention (but your article didn’t) was the indictment of a Democrat for wire fraud. What you failed to mention was the Republican caucaus and the Gov called for resignations. So it not like the entire party is corrupt just as the entire Democratic Party is not corrupt due to one member.

You have shown nothing regarding the comptroller. You have shown nothing to impeach the independent audits. However, if your point is that we should pursue all corruption regardless of party, i am all for that. I am not for halting government based on your unsupported allegations of corruption regarding the Comptroller or the entire Republican Party in TN.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:02 pm Let’s stick to TN for the moment. What you failed to
mention (but your article didn’t) was the indictment of a Democrat for wire fraud. What you failed to mention was the Republican caucaus and the Gov called for resignations. So it not like the entire party is corrupt just as the entire Democratic Party is not corrupt due to one member.

You have shown nothing regarding the comptroller. You have shown nothing to impeach the independent audits. However, if your point is that we should pursue all corruption regardless of party, i am all for that. I am not for halting government based on your unsupported allegations of corruption regarding the Comptroller or the entire Republican Party in TN.
Big Daddy gubbamint is going to take over the Black-majority town.

Where is your outrage?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:02 pm Let’s stick to TN for the moment.
Yeah, you'd have to do that, because today's GOP is the most corrupt party in history.
What you failed to
You have been pissing backwards the whole thread. It wasn't just "sexting" - lots of sexist and racist emails were unearthed, and there were ONLY calls to resign after it became politically problematic. They didn't care about whether it was wrong or not.

And there are more unindicted co-conspirators that haven't been charged yet. Have they resigned? Are they called to resign? No, of course not. Oops, why didn't you mention that?

You're always going to provide cover to GOP corruption.
Again, because of the GOP track record when it takes over a town - like it Flint, Michigan where they poisoned the people of the city, and the fact nothing was done until suddenly there's a new Ford plant going in nearby, it is very concerning. Tie to that the fact that the comptroller was bagging groceries before getting into politics, I have little confidence that this will be handled in the best interests of the townspeople.
Ted

Post by Ted »

gounion wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:24 am Yeah, you'd have to do that, because today's GOP is the most corrupt party in history.

You have been pissing backwards the whole thread. It wasn't just "sexting" - lots of sexist and racist emails were unearthed, and there were ONLY calls to resign after it became politically problematic. They didn't care about whether it was wrong or not.

And there are more unindicted co-conspirators that haven't been charged yet. Have they resigned? Are they called to resign? No, of course not. Oops, why didn't you mention that?

You're always going to provide cover to GOP corruption.

Again, because of the GOP track record when it takes over a town - like it Flint, Michigan where they poisoned the people of the city, and the fact nothing was done until suddenly there's a new Ford plant going in nearby, it is very concerning. Tie to that the fact that the comptroller was bagging groceries before getting into politics, I have little confidence that this will be handled in the best interests of the townspeople.
Why is bagging groceries relevant?

Mumpower bagged groceries before being elected to the Tennessee House of Representatives at age 23. He was barely out of college at the time.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

These takeovers are usually politically motivated, they often have racist consequences, and they always leave people wondering WTF they were thinking when they did it. I don't expect this one to end any better than all the others. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:40 pm These takeovers are usually politically motivated, they often have racist consequences, and they always leave people wondering WTF they were thinking when they did it. I don't expect this one to end any better than all the others. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
+++++

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Number6 »

I remember during the oil embargo by OPEC in the early 70 when gas prices were high there were reports of people siphoning gas out of other people's cars. Today, the local news is reporting gas thieves are now drilling holes in the bottom of gas tanks to steal gas. Not only is this theft but what also happens is the thieves take what gas they can and the rest of the gas in the tanks leaks onto the road creating a fire hazard. The owner of the car is left with having to have the tank replaced at over $1,000.
A drill hole was found on the underside of the gas tank, which firefighters plugged up to stop the leak. They shoveled dirt to absorb the spilled gasoline and cleaned up the area as best they could. So far no suspects have been identified.

“They obviously didn’t empty the tank when they punctured it,” said Richard. “They probably took $10 worth of gas and caused over $1,000 worth of damage to the truck. It’s crazy.”
https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local ... 11034a1080
When you vote left, you vote right.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Ted wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:12 am Why is bagging groceries relevant?

Mumpower bagged groceries before being elected to the Tennessee House of Representatives at age 23. He was barely out of college at the time.
Because a comptroller for a state should have decades of professional experience in finance and management behind them, not a buddy politician. It's quite a big job. Wouldn't you agree?
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:27 pm Because a comptroller for a state should have decades of professional experience in finance and management behind them, not a buddy politician. It's quite a big job. Wouldn't you agree?
We elected a President who six years before was a community organizer. A President should have some experience in administration and management. It’s quite a big job. Wouldn’t you agree?
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:42 pm We elected a President who six years before was a community organizer. A President should have some experience in administration and management. It’s quite a big job. Wouldn’t you agree?
So you think that a state Comptroller doesn't need to be qualified? Yes or no?

And I knew you'd go after Obama, you guys really hate him, don't you? The idea of a black man being President really frosted you guys, didn't it?

Let's just remember that GW Bush was a failure his whole life before being President.
gounion

Post by gounion »

BTW, isn't it funny how Joe Memphis said "let's stick to TN" earlier, but when HE wants to, HE doesn't stick to TN.

It just shows he can't win an argument, he can't follow his own rules. Conservatives want to restrict what YOU can say, but they never restrict what THEY can say.