RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Neighborhood Welcome
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've been to that corner more times than I could ever count times. Not sure what was on the mind of the police there.

Ike is right about how the overall population of Evanston would feel about that.

That said, I'm not completely in agreement with him. From my perspective, its a pretty segregated city.....you have the University area, you have white neighborhoods and you have black neighborhoods....Overall, they're pretty separate. Yes, ETHS is one large school for the whole community, but I'd have to say that despite efforts, it is a better school for white students than black students.

Here's its ethnic breakdown
White (43.3%)
Black (30.4%)
Hispanic (17.5%)
Asian (5%)
American Indian (0.4%)
Two or More Races (3.4%)
Pacific Islander (0.1%)

40% "low income"
3.5% of students who's first language is not english.

In terms of test results, (yes, test results aren't everything...especially these tests)
overall 33% of students met or exceeed state standards (PARCC test)
overall 52% of white students met or exceeed state standards (PARCC test)
overall 11% of black students met or exceeed state standards (PARCC test)
overall 22% of Hispanic students met or exceeed state standards (PARCC test)
overall 60% of Asian students met or exceeed state standards (PARCC test)

Oh...and I say ahhgo,,,not awwgo. but then I don't have the classic Ditka/SNL accent...which is really a particular part of the south side, I think.

Ditka is from Pennsylvania. He doesn't talk like a multi-genrational Chicawwwgoan. None of those "Da Bers" guys sounded like Chicawwwgoans to me. Find a youtube of Richie Daley talking about Chicawwwgo. You'll hear what a real Chicawwwgoan sounds like. I'm from da nort-wess side. Perhaps I sound like a sout-sider.

As far as Evanston demographis is concerned...the most recent info I have is that the north half of town is lilly white. The southwest quarter of town is predominantly black. The Southeast quarter is pretty close to 50-50 integrated. In the early 80's Evanston adopted a law that no school could be more than 60% white or black. I don't think that exists anymore...but the elementary schools remain reasonably integrated, and since there's only Evanston High School, it's automatically integrated.

The achievement testing is certainly of concern. For my own safety I'm staying away from any discussion of what that is all about. I will tell y'all that for 15 years before she went back to school to get her MSW, the blonde was an CPS elementary school teacher on the west side. No man's land between Vice-Lords and Disciples turf. Her kids always learned. Can we blame the outcomes on the teachers? Convenient targets.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ditka is from Pennsylvania. He doesn't talk like a multi-genrational Chicawwwgoan. None of those "Da Bers" guys sounded like Chicawwwgoans to me. Find a youtube of Richie Daley talking about Chicawwwgo. You'll hear what a real Chicawwwgoan sounds like. I'm from da nort-wess side. Perhaps I sound like a sout-sider.

As far as Evanston demographis is concerned...the most recent info I have is that the north half of town is lilly white. The southwest quarter of town is predominantly black. The Southeast quarter is pretty close to 50-50 integrated. In the early 80's Evanston adopted a law that no school could be more than 60% white or black. I don't think that exists anymore...but the elementary schools remain reasonably integrated, and since there's only Evanston High School, it's automatically integrated.

The achievement testing is certainly of concern. For my own safety I'm staying away from any discussion of what that is all about. I will tell y'all that for 15 years before she went back to school to get her MSW, the blonde was an CPS elementary school teacher on the west side. No man's land between Vice-Lords and Disciples turf. Her kids always learned. Can we blame the outcomes on the teachers? Convenient targets.

Unless the whites put their kids in the private schools, like they do in San Francisco and Oakland.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Unless the whites put their kids in the private schools, like they do in San Francisco and Oakland.

I'm gonna say that the quality of the public schools in Evanston, IL is such that the only parents who will waste their money on private schools for their kids are wacky catholics. You're also comparing it to much larger cities. Evanston has a population of about 75,000.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:47 am 
Political Junkie

I'm gonna say that the quality of the public schools in Evanston, IL is such that the only parents who will waste their money on private schools for their kids are wacky catholics. You're also comparing it to much larger cities. Evanston has a population of about 75,000.
Well, the Roycemeore School, for example is just about where the incident took place.....then there's the Baker School, and some others. Not to mention private schools that people send their kids to that are outside of the city. ETHS is a good school, particularly for some populations. I'd have no problem sending my kids there. But it is not a leading edge school as it was in the 60's, 70's and maybe 80's

You are correct that it is not compatible to big cities however. And the city strives to maintain an image of being well integrated.

You're division of Evanston, in terms of direction, isn't exactly correct. Overall, I'd say, its more east (toward the lake) and west.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, the Roycemeore School, for example is just about where the incident took place.....then there's the Baker School, and some others. Not to mention private schools that people send their kids to that are outside of the city. ETHS is a good school, particularly for some populations. I'd have no problem sending my kids there. But it is not a leading edge school as it was in the 60's, 70's and maybe 80's

You are correct that it is not compatible to big cities however. And the city strives to maintain an image of being well integrated.

You're division of Evanston, in terms of direction, isn't exactly correct. Overall, I'd say, its more east (toward the lake) and west.

I'd say ETHS is pretty leading edge compared with the high schools south of Howard Street. As leading edge as New Trier? No. Lake Forest? Way no. The latter is regularly rated in the top 15 public high schools nationally.

Now...we lived in Rogers Park for years and we know Evanston. The Southeast quarter of town has always been the integrated part of town, and according to our friends who still live in town...and also some information I've looked at on the web, it remains so. And the southwest quarter the predominantly black section of town.

When you say "Overall...more east and west"...I'm not sure what you mean. Overall more integrated? Or segregated?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:45 pm 
Political Junkie

More white and wealthy toward the lake (and far north). Lower income, and Black, heading west. South of the Univ, seems like Ridge is the major line of separation....but there are a few areas that are more mixed. Also gentrifying in areas....with the plusses and minuses that entails.

I have to admit, I may have a bit of a bug up my butt about Evanston. Its a great place. Lots to do. Great University. Nice Lake front. Easy public transportation, at least along the eastern part of the city. Good coffee. And I think the attitude there is positive. People generally want to do the right thing. But huge attitude, and I believe way too much self-congradulatory regarding racial/ethnic issues. It seems to me that Evanston is much more segregated than some of its surrounding areas...including Rogers Park, Skokie, the South Loop (ok that's not really close). It may have to do with greater levels of economic disparity than in many other areas. I'm wondering...is Oak Park similar?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

More white and wealthy toward the lake (and far north). Lower income, and Black, heading west. South of the Univ, seems like Ridge is the major line of separation....but there are a few areas that are more mixed. Also gentrifying in areas....with the plusses and minuses that entails.

I have to admit, I may have a bit of a bug up my butt about Evanston. Its a great place. Lots to do. Great University. Nice Lake front. Easy public transportation, at least along the eastern part of the city. Good coffee. And I think the attitude there is positive. People generally want to do the right thing. But huge attitude, and I believe way too much self-congradulatory regarding racial/ethnic issues. It seems to me that Evanston is much more segregated than some of its surrounding areas...including Rogers Park, Skokie, the South Loop (ok that's not really close). It may have to do with greater levels of economic disparity than in many other areas. I'm wondering...is Oak Park similar?

I think we have pretty much the same impressions of Evanston, save some minor differences around the neighborhood demographics within the town. Very interesting you should ask about Oak Park for two reasons...

First...we lived in Rogers Park right after we got married, but I grew up in the far west side Galewood neighborhood. Our house was a half-block from North Ave...the border between Chicago and Oak Park. Many friends from Oak Park growing up, and a couple of the kids from my social group had parents that didn't want them going to a Chicago Public HS and paid for their kids to go to OPHS. My parents continued to live in that house and my mother died in 2006 in the same house.

Second...endless comparisons here in Chicago all the time between the demographics, and schools, and integration issues etc., etc., between Evanston and Oak Park. Both are more reasonable integrated than most other Chicago suburbs, but both also have an integrated area and other primarily white and black areas...pretty much just like Evanston. Also only one high school, a pretty good one, and everybody goes there who isn't in a private school. The only big difference is that on the east and a bit on the south of Oak Park are some pretty rough neighborhoods. Austin on the east, a high crime area. Berwyn on the south, with some crime problems as well. Evanston tends to be situated in a generally more gentrified part of town.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Donald Trump thinks Chicago is worse than Afghanistan. :problem:

Donald Trump is a gang member in a suit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:13 am 
Policy Wonk

il Douché

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki

Quote:
What the heck is Bannon doing to poor Reince?

Follow
vlh @coton_luver
#CPAC2017 @stevekornacki Bannon & Priebus wrap up togetherness interview. Priebus to Brannon "Don't touch me!"
1:03 PM - 23 Feb 2017

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:32 pm 
Policy Wonk

Kids on winning robotics team told, 'Go back to Mexico'

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS — The day should have been one of glory and celebration for five fourth-graders.

The Pleasant Run Elementary students had just won a robotics challenge at Plainfield High School, and the students — new to bot competition this year — were one step closer to the Vex IQ State Championship.

The team is made up of 9- and 10-year-olds. Two are African American and three are Latino.

As the group, called the Pleasant Run PantherBots, and their parents left the challenge last month in Plainfield, Ind., competing students from other Indianapolis-area schools and their parents were waiting for them in the parking lot.

“Go back to Mexico!” two or three kids screamed at their brown-skin peers and their parents, according to some who were there.

This verbal attack had spilled over from the gymnasium. While the children were competing, one or two parents disparaged the Pleasant Run kids with racist comments — and loud enough for the Pleasant Run families to hear...........

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:30 am 
Board Emeritus

Welcome to Jacksonville

Police: Armed with guns and racial insults, Jacksonville man assaults Muslim neighbor - Jacksonville.com

Quote:
Aied Alzaidy, 47, was gardening outside about 9:30 p.m. Saturday when Ruetting emerged from the home next door looking upset and holding a handgun and flashlight, according to the arrest report. “If you move — — [expletive], I will shoot you,” Ruetting warned him, according to Alzaidy. He said Ruetting put the handgun to his head then struck him with the flashlight as his wife returned.

Ruetting retreated back inside, then reappeared with an AK-47-style rifle and pointed it at the victim, his wife and their children, ages 9, 7 and 5, according to the report. He yelled at them, saying “I’m going to kill all you Muslim — —[expletive], get out of my country. Don’t talk to my wife,” the report said.

By the time officers arrived, Ruetting had gone back home. Police said the couple consented to a search of their home. A rifle found in an open bag next to Ruetting’s bed was seized as evidence.

Reached by phone Tuesday evening, Alzaidy said his family has been living in fear of their next door neighbor ever since. He said the couple’s children have been sleeping in their parents’ room, while he and his wife have been taking turns going to sleep so one of them can stay awake to make sure nothing else happens.

“I have to find a doctor to talk to my oldest one,” Alzaidy said. “When she saw the AK-47 pointed at her dad, she told her mom, ‘I’m afraid he’s going to kill my dad.’”

So where was this white conservative terrorist radicalized? :problem:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Welcome to Jacksonville

Police: Armed with guns and racial insults, Jacksonville man assaults Muslim neighbor - Jacksonville.com

I wouldn't doubt Ruetting is also a Christian so the question you asked should be "So where was this white conservative terrorist radicalized?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Welcome to Jacksonville

This terrorist had these views of hate before trump elected, but trump told him that it was OK to have these views and to want to kill these people. Believe me, if people like this do kill Muslims or Latinos or Blacks and trump is president, he will pardon them. Even if he didnt pardon them for political reasons, he has already told them that their hate is good and proper.

Now that the SC will become a rubber stamp for fascists and racists, I see no way out of this for minorities and eventually all of us.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

I wouldn't doubt Ruetting is also a Christian so the question you asked should be "So where was this white conservative terrorist radicalized?"

Some whackodoodle rwnj ridiculous white church :problem:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

This terrorist had these views of hate before trump elected, but trump told him that it was OK to have these views and to want to kill these people. Believe me, if people like this do kill Muslims or Latinos or Blacks and trump is president, he will pardon them. Even if he didnt pardon them for political reasons, he has already told them that their hate is good and proper.

Now that the SC will become a rubber stamp for fascists and racists, I see no way out of this for minorities and eventually all of us.

Of course there is a way out. We made ways out before, and we will again.

As I've said before, we are on our own now. But Conservative whites don't understand the power of this because they never did, and they don't understand their own laws and need us to explain it to them. Since they don't know how to listen and eschew learning anything anyway, they keep trying and expecting a different result.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:53 am 
Board Emeritus

Vile filth, never worked a day in his life, Donald Trump Jr

https://twitter.com/DailyCaller/status/ ... 9478434816
Quote:

Donald Trump Jr. ✔ @DonaldJTrumpJr
Luckily these students wont likely have to tackle issues more stressful than a yummy chicken sandwich in their lives... Oh Wait #triggered https://twitter.com/DailyCaller/status/ ... 9478434816
7:02 AM - 13 Apr 2017

What a little punk...Without money and bodyguards he never says a word to anybody about anything, scared to death to.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

Vile filth, never worked a day in his life, Donald Trump Jr

https://twitter.com/DailyCaller/status/ ... 9478434816

What a little punk...Without money and bodyguards he never says a word to anybody about anything, scared to death to.

Daily Caller and Campus Reform are two of the biggest snowflake sites I've ever seen.

They're always crying about something, especially anything having to do with higher education. :problem:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:33 am 
Board Emeritus

Welcome to Fenway Park. Classic Neighborhood Welcome.

Mayor, Red Sox apologize to Adam Jones, who says he was ‘called the n-word’ by Boston fans - WP

Quote:
In the past, Adam Jones has said he’s been “cussed out all day” while playing in Boston, but on Monday, his treatment at Fenway Park took a more disturbing turn. After a 5-2 win by his Orioles, the five-time all-star claimed that he was “called the n-word a handful of times” by Red Sox fans, who also threw a bag of peanuts at him.

“It’s different,’’ Jones said of Monday’s events (via Bob Nightengale of USA Today). “Very unfortunate. I heard there was 59 or 60 ejections tonight in the ballpark. It is what it is, right. I just go out and play baseball. It’s unfortunate that people need to resort to those type of epithets to degrade another human being. I’m trying to make a living for myself and for my family.

“It’s unfortunate. The best thing about myself is that I continue to move on, and still play the game hard. Let people be who they are. Let them show their true colors.’’

Police on Tuesday put the number of ejections at 34, including the person who threw the peanuts. The Red Sox called the behavior “inexcusable” and apologized to Jones, with Boston Mayor Marty Walsh chiming in to say, “We are better than this.” The two teams play each other again Tuesday night.

Jackie Robinson endured the same treatment 70 years ago.

Dumb conservative whites froth at the mouth at us in every other comments section on the internet to "get over it", though. :problem:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:38 am 
Board Emeritus

Welcome to Kentucky

Machete-wielding assailant asked about political affiliation before campus attack, witness says - WP

Quote:
A former student walked into a busy coffee shop on a Kentucky college campus Friday morning with a bag of knives and swords and attacked a student inside, police said.

A Transylvania University student, Tristan Reynolds, told the Lexington Herald-Leader he was inside the campus cafe with 30 or 40 other people when “a guy came in, banged something, a hatchet or an ax, on the table and said, ‘The day of reckoning has come.’

“He asked somebody what their political affiliation was, they said ‘Republican’ and the guy said, ‘You are safe.’

“And then I realized what was going on and started getting people out.”

Reynolds declined to comment further to The Washington Post on Friday but referred to the quotes in the Lexington Herald-Leader story.

Some witnesses told police the attacker asked people what their political affiliation was before striking, according to Sgt. Jervis Middleton of the Lexington Police Department, which has not yet “100 percent confirmed” those accounts as the investigation is underway and officers are still getting statements from witnesses and the suspect.

Mitchell W. Adkins, 19, of Cincinnati was arrested and charged with first-degree assault, fourth-degree assault, and three counts of first-degree wanton endangerment.

Middleton said Adkins made several threatening statements and then attacked a female student with a machete.

People inside the cafe ran out and Adkins ran out as well, where he was stopped by campus police officers after a brief struggle and taken into custody, Middleton said.

Police had been called to the Glenn Building on campus about 8:45 a.m. for a report of an armed attacker.

stupid bigot

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Welcome to Fenway Park. Classic Neighborhood Welcome.

Mayor, Red Sox apologize to Adam Jones, who says he was ‘called the n-word’ by Boston fans - WP

Jackie Robinson endured the same treatment 70 years ago.

Dumb conservative whites froth at the mouth at us in every other comments section on the internet to "get over it", though. :problem:

I don't wish to derail this thread but, I believe it is a shame that Larry Doby is a forgotten hero. I wonder if all here were completely honest how many know who Doby was. I wonder how many who do know his name could have named him if his achievement were mentioned. As in name the first African American who.......

Not naming the achievement in hopes that people who don't know will be curious enough to look it up.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

the first African American who.......

"First black" is an overrated experience, and not at all what you think it is.

Take it from a person who has been one and continues to be one where ever I go. Where do you think I got the idea to name a thread "Neighborhood Welcome"?

So in the spirit of not meaning to derail the thread, but...

:problem:

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

So glen, are you going to start a thread on Larry Doby or what?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:58 am 
Board Emeritus

Welcome to the heart of Orange County

Asian Man Assaulted By White Couple After Racist Taunts in Costa Mesa - OC Weekly

Quote:
A white couple left a young Vietnamese-American man bloodied at the OC Fair Grounds parking lot on Sunday after an earlier incident included racist taunts. The victim, a 21-year-old college student who wishes to remain anonymous, hung out with a group of friends at OC Night Market when the trouble began around 9:30 p.m. That's when two white women approached him in line offering money to buy drinks.

When he refused, the duo muttered something rudely beneath their breath before returning a few minutes later and getting downright nasty. "Go back to Asia and eat a dog," the taller woman of the two said. She got all up in the victim's face when he pushed her away to create some space. A tatted up white dude a few feet away charged at him, punching the glasses off his face.

Security responded to the situation and took the violent couple out of the OC Night Market. The group of friends continued having a good time despite the jarring incident until deciding to call it a night around 11:00 p.m. When the victim walked with his girlfriend to their ride, the trouble began anew. "The moment I got to my car, a black sedan pulled up," he tells the Weekly. The couple from the earlier altercation got out of the car. "The guy immediately went after me and everything else was a blur."

Trump voters.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:58 am 
Board Emeritus

Welcome to the heart of Orange County

Asian Man Assaulted By White Couple After Racist Taunts in Costa Mesa - OC Weekly

Trump voters.

No problem detaining folks that did a bit of shop lifting, but those that perpetrate violence are simply escorted out of the facility?

Okay.

Hey, don't come whining to me when such a facility becomes ground-zero for even more radical shit, possibly leaving the facility (and other parts of the city) in complete and utter ruins.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next