RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Neighborhood Welcome
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:25 am 
Board Emeritus

Welcome to Iowa

Trump Supporters Vandalize Openly Gay Candidate’s Home With "Death Threat" - The Advocate

:roll: Remains to be seen if it's these supposed "Patriots", or who, but has anyone noticed that the most hateful people on earth like pretending hate like theirs doesn't exist anymore? I have.

They've always been there. The white xenophobes, nativists, and the white racial, ethnic, and religious bigots. No more, no less than ever...IMHO. Emboldened by this election? Certainly. Making the country look as ugly on the surface as it has always been underneath? Of course.

But the 120 million or so adult Americans who prefer, or at least have no major problem with, a Donald Trump in charge of the country...nothing new there. Will there be more vandalism and acting out as a result of this election? Yep...thanks everybody...all 120 million of you (and a few hundred thousand miffed Bernie-ite millennials in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin who spent election day sitting on their asses at the Starbucks staring into their half-sweet upside-down caramel decaf macchiato).

These are everywhere. All over brexitized England, the EU, and Canada as well. But the numbers of scumbags don't even come close to the level in the general population as they are in this country. It's what our legacy of rugged individualism, eutopianism, and puritanism has permanently handed us. Good choices...Denmark, Holland, Sweden, Scotland. Uh...oh....All you EU dual citizens better get to Scotland or England quick though...you're just another unwanted brexitized refugee pretty soon. And the latter probably has just as many, if not more nativist/bigot assholes as ours.

So if we're just fucking sick of it...where can we go? Can we afford it? Who would allow us in anyway? It's not like we're Syrian refugees with no home anymore. We're top shelf on this planet...Americans. Yeh...sure we are. Just so long as we don't mind sharing half the country with a pack of drooling, ignorant, scumbags who want Dylan Roof pardoned.

No more blaming Republican politicians for this shit. It's half the fucking people...maybe more. And what a royal pain in the ass to actually pull up stakes and emigrate to a relatively decent place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

On a brighter note, these signs are starting to appear across the nation.

NPR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

On a brighter note, these signs are starting to appear across the nation.

NPR

Out here in ultra conservative DuPage county IL, Wold Relief DuPage began handing out these lawn signs when refugees first began arriving in this country and the right wingjobs and FOX news pimps started their bleating about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ahh yes..... my home town of Stockton CA.

Stockton California...... Home of the AK-47......California's Sunrise Seaport.......Where White is black and Black is White and the sewer meets the sea. Stockton.... Someplace Special.....38 Special.

And now, where the mayor is Black :)

California Today: Meet the New Mayor, Age 26 - NYT

Given it's recent years, Stockton could use some good news, it's true.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

And now, where the mayor is Black :)

California Today: Meet the New Mayor, Age 26 - NYT

Given it's recent years, Stockton could use some good news, it's true.

Wow, awesome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Welcome to your PhD program at Northwestern

Police tackle and cuff PhD student for 'stealing' his own car - Ashleigh Banfield FB page

Quote:
CAUGHT ON DASH CAM: Police tackle and arrest a Northwestern PhD student suspected of stealing a car... but it was his.

:problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem:

I wonder how many death threats Ashleigh Banfield is getting for reporting this story.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Welcome to your PhD program at Northwestern

Police tackle and cuff PhD student for 'stealing' his own car - Ashleigh Banfield FB page

Let me guess: black guy in wrong part of Chi-town?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:03 am 
Board Emeritus

I've always wondered where that "Chi-town" thing comes from. None of us native Chicagoans ever use it. A sure way to know if Chicago isn't really home for somebody is if they call it "Chi-town." You may live here, but if you call it "Chi-town" you're not from here.

PS - it's not Chic-ahh-go, it's Chic-aww-go.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:05 am 
Board Emeritus

I've always wondered where that "Chi-town" thing comes from. None of us ever use it. A sure way to know if Chicago isn't really home is if somebody calls it "Chi-town." You're may live here, but if you call it "Chi-rown" you're not from here.

About like Frisco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:05 am 
Board Emeritus

Evanston PD footage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:15 am 
Board Emeritus

About like Frisco

My uncle was a physicist at Cal. My three cousins (all boys) grew up in Berkley. If you ever said "Frisco" around them, the nearest one to you would smack you on the back of the head.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:40 am 
Board Emeritus

Evanston PD footage

OK...I need to say a few thing about this. Evanston obviously isn't perfect. But it's about as close to a fully integrated and openly diverse community as one will find anywhere in this country. There's one public high school, its a good one, and everybody's kids go there. Unless they go to some Catholic school, and those are pretty much fully integrated as well. We have a lot of friends (of various skin tone) from the old days when we were newly married and living up in the north end of Chicago's Rogers Park neighborhood. Just south of the Howard Street border. Many moved a mile or two farther north when they started having kids to take advantage of the Evanston school system. We were a pack of dope smoking, acid dropping 60's radicals...none of us had much money in those days and some made significant financial sacrifices at the time in order to afford the move. But they also did it because they were invested in having their kids grow up in a racially diverse environment. And a strongly liberal one, Trump got a measly 7 percent of the vote in a financially upscale town. I sincerely believe the great majority of white Evanstonians were revolted and horrified when they heard about this incident and saw the video. I believe they will not stand for it.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:10 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 am 
Board Emeritus

My uncle was a physicist at Cal. My three cousins (all boys) grew up in Berkley. If you ever said "Frisco" around them, the nearest one to you would smack you on the back of the head.

Frisco is a dog's name.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:13 am 
Board Emeritus

PS - it's not Chic-ahh-go, it's Chic-aww-go.

LOL..though, it's not like I've ever hidden the fact that I'm not a native Chicogoan.

Of course, it's also rather obvious to me that my roots, outside of Los Angeles, are more strongly associated with Chicago than any place else.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:32 am 
Board Emeritus

LOL..though, it's not like I've ever hidden the fact that I'm not a native Chicogoan.

Of course, it's also rather obvious to me that my roots, outside of Los Angeles, are more strongly associated with Chicago than any place else.

I've lived a few years in southern California. Stationed at the MCRD San Diego, Pendleton Oceanside, Santa Ana LTA (the big blimp hangars), and MCAS El Toro while in the Corps. And then the blonde and I spent almost 2 years living in West Hollywood starting in early 1974.

PS - I kinda figured a native Chicogoan was from Chico.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:40 am 
Board Emeritus

OK...I need to say a few thing about this. Evanston obviously isn't perfect. But it's about as close to a fully integrated and openly diverse community as one will find anywhere in this country. There's one public high school, its a good one, and everybody's kids go there. Unless they go to some Catholic school, and those are pretty much fully integrated as well. We have a lot of friends (of various skin tone) from the old days when we were newly married and living up in the north end of Chicago's Rogers Park neighborhood. Just south of the Howard Street border. Many moved a mile or two farther north when they started having kids to take advantage of the Evanston school system. We were a pack of dope smoking, acid dropping 60's radicals...none of us had much money in those days and some made significant financial sacrifices at the time in order to afford the move. But they also did it because they were invested in having their kids grow up in a racially diverse environment. And a strongly liberal one, Trump got a measly 7 percent of the vote in a financially upscale town. I sincerely believe the great majority of white Evanstonians were revolted and horrified when they heard about this incident and saw the video. I believe they will not stand for it.

It's not about whether or to what degree Evanston is integrated. It's about what these PD officers did to this man. I live in one of the most diverse, integrated cities in the country. We, men of color in particular here, still have these problems with the police that our great-grandparents did. One of the big differences now is there's now sometimes live footage to back up what we've been saying for generations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:26 am 
Board Emeritus

It's not about whether or to what degree Evanston is integrated. It's about what these PD officers did to this man. I live in one of the most diverse, integrated cities in the country. We, men of color in particular here, still have these problems with the police that our great-grandparents did. One of the big differences now is there's now sometimes live footage to back up what we've been saying for generations.

Best I can figure, video evidence is (or at least ought to be) a game-changer.

The video accompanying your earlier post shows rather clearly that there was no reason to gang-tackle this dude.

Totally ridiculous shit going down and the still the same question: when is it gonna stop?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:36 am 
Board Emeritus

The video accompanying your earlier post shows rather clearly that there was no reason to gang-tackle this dude.

Totally ridiculous shit going down and the still the same question: when is it gonna stop?

What Ike said is definitely possible, that the people of Evanston will put a stop to it in their community, now that the recording is national news. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:18 am 
Board Emeritus

What Ike said is definitely possible, that the people of Evanston will put a stop to it in their community, now that the recording is national news. Time will tell.

In Chicago?...yeah, there's a good chance that they will do their best to deal with the reality of what's happening on the ground.

Of course, I'm somewhat prejudiced in making such a comment, seeing as how I have family in and around that area.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:02 am 
Board Emeritus

I understand, carmen. But I don't think anything changes without popular support. You know where you live, I know where I live. My point once again is that I sincerely believe the great majority of white Evanstonians were revolted and horrified when they heard about this incident and saw the video. I believe the great majority of people in Evanston, and not just the black people, will not stand for it. Put this event in Shabbona, or Nokomis, or Mt. Pulaski, or some other shithole town in Illinois where 90% of the vote went to Trump, and nothing is getting done about it. It doesn't matter how much publicity there is about it on the internet. There is police misconduct directed at black people everywhere...I'm not going to decide what's going to happen in Evanston until I see what happens in Evanston.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:49 am 
Board Emeritus

My semi-rant above came spewing out of me before I saw this. Hopefully time will give us the outcome we want...in Evanston at least.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Why were there six cops responding to a possible car theft? I can see the police asking for backup which would probably mean one car responding so were there two policemen per car or was there one policeman per car? Also, you have to wonder if this was the normal response for backup or was it because the person was black.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

And Northern Californians don't refer to a highway with "the" in front of the highway number. For example, they say "Take I-5 South" instead of "Take the I-5 South" like we do in Southern California.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:44 pm 
Policy Wonk

I've been to that corner more times than I could ever count times. Not sure what was on the mind of the police there.

Ike is right about how the overall population of Evanston would feel about that.

That said, I'm not completely in agreement with him. From my perspective, its a pretty segregated city.....you have the University area, you have white neighborhoods and you have black neighborhoods....Overall, they're pretty separate. Yes, ETHS is one large school for the whole community, but I'd have to say that despite efforts, it is a better school for white students than black students.

Here's its ethnic breakdown
White (43.3%)
Black (30.4%)
Hispanic (17.5%)
Asian (5%)
American Indian (0.4%)
Two or More Races (3.4%)
Pacific Islander (0.1%)

40% "low income"
3.5% of students who's first language is not english.

In terms of test results, (yes, test results aren't everything...especially these tests)
overall 33% of students met or exceeed state standards (PARCC test)
overall 52% of white students met or exceeed state standards (PARCC test)
overall 11% of black students met or exceeed state standards (PARCC test)
overall 22% of Hispanic students met or exceeed state standards (PARCC test)
overall 60% of Asian students met or exceeed state standards (PARCC test)

Oh...and I say ahhgo,,,not awwgo. but then I don't have the classic Ditka/SNL accent...which is really a particular part of the south side, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/ar ... e-comments

Quote:
Hatcher publicly stated on social media that because Donald Trump was taking office, "Gay jokes are back on ya bunch of homos," and also made derogatory comments (in the form of lame jokes) regarding the role of women.

If it were permissible here would our board cons say something similar?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next