The Christmas Thread

News and events of the day
rainwater

Re: The Christmas Thread

Post by rainwater »

ZoWie wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:18 pm The Internet never forgets.

ive got to leave in a bit for a few hours, then ill be back and asking for help how-to apply this avvy pic!!!

thanks Drak, really appreciate it. 8-)
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

rainwater wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:22 pm ive got to leave in a bit for a few hours, then ill be back and asking for help how-to apply this avvy pic!!!

I just snarfed Drak's hit into my own local file, posted it on a neutral site, and hotlinked it here. This was to make sure that it was possible to download it, and it is, so now anyone can make it their avatar with the same process. Get it into a file on your computer, and then just use the upload feature in this board's user account config to get it stored there as yours.

I thought of making it my avatar too, to show Rain how easy it is, but decided to stay with Penn Station and the Times Square subway. The iron horse.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Number6

Post by Number6 »

rainwater wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:22 pm ive got to leave in a bit for a few hours, then ill be back and asking for help how-to apply this avvy pic!!!

If you need help, here's how to do it.

Click on the image and save it to your computer.
Open the image in your browser and resize it so it's not larger than 199 253 x 253 pixels and save.
On the RFL, click on you name and go to the control panel.
Go to Profile
Click on Edit Avatar
Click on Browse and upload your picture from your computer and then click Submit.

That should do it.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Drak

Post by Drak »

No problem at all.

The Wayback Machine has a fair bit of data from the old site. If anyone's interested. It's not as easy to look things up though. But it also has the old banner, etc. and our discussions.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Number6 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:22 pm If you need help, here's how to do it.

Click on the image and save it to your computer.
Open the image in your browser and resize it so it's not larger than 199 253 x 253 pixels and save.
On the RFL, click on you name and go to the control panel.
Go to Profile
Click on Edit Avatar
Click on Browse and upload your picture from your computer and then click Submit.

That should do it.
Not quite, this board is out of the box.

:|

I believe you have to edit the size to no more than 90 x 90 and the file size has to be no more than 6kB. The old board had had those limitations increased from what comes stock. I would also doubt that gif moving files are currently allowed under the out of the box set up.

Rain's avatar is 100 x 100 and is 7.78 kB plus it is a gif file type. So the first thing to do is to get GoUnion to lift the draconian upload limitations which are programmed into the board software that comes out of the box.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

sam lefthand wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:19 pm Not quite, this board is out of the box.

I believe you have to edit the size to no more than 90 x 90 and the file size has to be no more than 6kB. The old board had had those limitations increased from what comes stock. I would also doubt that gif moving files are currently allowed under the out of the box set up.

Rain's avatar is 100 x 100 and is 7.78 kB plus it is a gif file type. So the first thing to do is to get GoUnion to lift the draconian upload limitations which are programmed into the board software that comes out of the box.
The figures I gave came from when I tried to upload an image today to test it. The image does have to be resized to 90 x 90.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Number6 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:28 pm The figures I gave came from when I tried to upload an image today to test it. The image does have to be resized to 90 x 90.
The figures I gave come from the board.

When I uploaded my avatar I was able to crop it down to 90 x 90 very quickly, the problem I had was washing some of the quality out of it as well to get the file size limitation down to 6kB. Until I washed the quality out of the image to get it below 6kB it would not upload at all.

And it wasn't a gif file type. Most BBcode boards don't allow gif moving files for avatars.

So GoUnion's help is needed to increase the file size limitation of the board and to allow gif moving files if they are currently not allowed.
Drak

Post by Drak »

True.

I edited Rain's animated avatar for her but I can't really get it down past 12kb. I had to take out a bunch of frames to do this which also sort of ruins it. If we were able to get the limit up to 32kb or higher it will work.

gounion

Post by gounion »

If you need me to do something to the board, please, drop me a PM. I don't read every thread, and hadn't read this one since the very start of it. I just happened to take a look at it just now.

I changed the file size to zero, which means it can be any size up to the max in the PHP. I don't know what that is. So see if that works.

Does the size need to go higher than 90 X 90 too? or would that make the size on the board too big? Don't need avatars taking up too much space. But, if folks want, I can play with it.
Drak

Post by Drak »

gounion wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:13 pm If you need me to do something to the board, please, drop me a PM. I don't read every thread, and hadn't read this one since the very start of it. I just happened to take a look at it just now.

I changed the file size to zero, which means it can be any size up to the max in the PHP. I don't know what that is. So see if that works.

Does the size need to go higher than 90 X 90 too? or would that make the size on the board too big? Don't need avatars taking up too much space. But, if folks want, I can play with it.
Sorry about that yah I should have pmd. Can you increase the file size as well past 6kb? I'm not sure what the standard is, but since they are just avatars I'm not sure if will effect board speed too much in this day and age. Like 30kb or higher?

Edit: the original is only 7kb, but when I download it and open it it increases in size by quite a bit. Which means the program I'm using is upsampling the size. I'll keep playing with it.

gounion

Post by gounion »

Drak wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:20 pm Sorry about that yah I should have pmd. Can you increase the file size as well past 6kb? I'm not sure what the standard is, but since they are just avatars I'm not sure if will effect board speed too much in this day and age. Like 30kb or higher?
It's Sam that was asking me to do stuff. I'll happily do whatever I can for anyone. It's just that I don't read every post. I may make and pin a new thread titled "board issues" or some such and pin it, both for these issues and for any of our old members that show up and think "WTF".

I set it to zero - here's what it says:

Maximum avatar file size:
For uploaded avatar files. If this value is 0, the uploaded filesize is only limited by your PHP configuration.

So next question, do I try to increase avatar size?
Drak

Post by Drak »

gounion wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:25 pm It's Sam that was asking me to do stuff. I'll happily do whatever I can for anyone. It's just that I don't read every post. I may make and pin a new thread titled "board issues" or some such and pin it, both for these issues and for any of our old members that show up and think "WTF".

I set it to zero - here's what it says:

Maximum avatar file size:
For uploaded avatar files. If this value is 0, the uploaded filesize is only limited by your PHP configuration.

So next question, do I try to increase avatar size?
Her original one was 100 x 100 which was the setting on the old board.

I knocked it down to 90 x 90, but if you want to increase it to 100 x 100 and it isn't a problem, then she can just save image as on the original file.

If not, she can just save image as from the uploaded Avatar showing on my account. I can leave it there until she does.

gounion

Post by gounion »

Drak wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:34 pm Her original one was 100 x 100 which was the setting on the old board.

I knocked it down to 90 x 90, but if you want to increase it to 100 x 100 and it isn't a problem, then she can just save image as on the original file.

If not, she can just save image as from the uploaded Avatar showing on my account. I can leave it there until she does.
DONE!
Drak

Post by Drak »

gounion wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:36 pmDONE!
Cool thanks man!

She's been pm'd about it.

gounion

Post by gounion »

Drak wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:36 pmCool thanks man!
That's the easy stuff. The PHP on the board is all like setting numbers and filling out a form - that's IF you can find the settings... :D

Getting the plugins installed is a different story. I'm going to try to get with Plunderer this weekend to see if we can do that. He's back teaching and, you know, the kids had Halloween and all last weekend, so I didn't want to bother him. It could be Thanksgiving or Christmas break before we can get that done, depending on what's going on in his life.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Okay, today I almost vomited after seeing this. As I entered the Navy Exchange this afternoon a family of four, mom, dad, and two sons about eight and 10 years old, entered just ahead of me. All four of them were wearing what looked like red pajamas decorated with Christmas trees. It's November 4th and Christmas is over a month and a half away and these clowns are parading around in Christmas pajamas.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:53 pm Okay, today I almost vomited after seeing this. As I entered the Navy Exchange this afternoon a family of four, mom, dad, and two sons about eight and 10 years old, entered just ahead of me. All four of them were wearing what looked like red pajamas decorated with Christmas trees. It's November 4th and Christmas is over a month and a half away and these clowns are parading around in Christmas pajamas.
Aw, c'mon, man, it IS California! I'm sure you've seen crazier! :lol: :lol: :lol:
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

The Christmas tree made it to town today. They managed to get it turned around so they were able to get the tree back out of town.

I didn't go there to see it.

:D

Here's a link: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/ar ... 45086.html

Fake Santa was there.

ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The file called 60.gif works fine as my avi. The sunny horse is running along. I'm changing it back to the subway now, since a working file is up already. Thanks GoU, and merry Christmas, Rain!
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

Number6 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:53 pm Okay, today I almost vomited after seeing this. As I entered the Navy Exchange this afternoon a family of four, mom, dad, and two sons about eight and 10 years old, entered just ahead of me. All four of them were wearing what looked like red pajamas decorated with Christmas trees. It's November 4th and Christmas is over a month and a half away and these clowns are parading around in Christmas pajamas.
sooo sick of this xmas shit already. it began in october for shit sake. why not year round?...every day?...every hour?
and..theyre using the "supply chain" excuse to encourage people to buy what they can now.

i find this disgusting. why isnt this a time when the public is encouraged to save and pay down and build up their own resources.
no, instead, in capitalism its a constant give them your money ordeal. you are born to give them your money.
its shameless.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

ZoWie wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:41 pm The file called 60.gif works fine as my avi. The sunny horse is running along. I'm changing it back to the subway now, since a working file is up already. Thanks GoU, and merry Christmas, Rain!
TYZ!
HST.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

rainwater wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:59 pm sooo sick of this xmas shit already. it began in october for shit sake. why not year round?...every day?...every hour?
and..theyre using the "supply chain" excuse to encourage people to buy what they can now.

i find this disgusting. why isnt this a time when the public is encouraged to save and pay down and build up their own resources.
no, instead, in capitalism its a constant give them your money ordeal. you are born to give them your money.
its shameless.
Aagg! Someone mentioned Thanksgiving to me yesterday. They'd dug it out from under two weeks of already Christmas. It had been crushed, ruined.

:o
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

Drak wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:34 pm Her original one was 100 x 100 which was the setting on the old board.

yeh see all this tech talk is like russian to me.

not. a. clue.
so thanks again for all your efforts. :D
HST.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

I'm waiting for Fox News to show this picture to prove there's a War on Christmas.

marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Number6 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:45 pm I'm waiting for Fox News to show this picture to prove there's a War on Christmas.

Oh The Humanity.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.