Navy launches ship named for gay rights leader Harvey Milk

News and events of the day
Libertas

Navy launches ship named for gay rights leader Harvey Milk

Post by Libertas »

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-na ... 06cfccd909

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A Navy ship named for slain gay rights leader Harvey Milk, who served four years in the Navy before being forced out, was christened and launched in San Diego Bay on Saturday.

The replenishment oiler USNS Harvey Milk slid down the shipyard ways after a bottle of champagne was smashed on the bow by former Navy officer Paula M. Neira, clinical program director for the John Hopkins Center for Transgender Health.

Milk’s nephew, Stuart Milk, and Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro watched the traditional ceremony.

“The secretary of the Navy needed to be here today, not just to amend the wrongs of the past, but to give inspiration to all of our LGBTQ community leaders who served in the Navy, in uniform today and in the civilian workforce as well too, and to tell them that we’re committed to them in the future,” Del Toro said.

Del Toro said that, like many others, Milk had to “mask that very important part of his life” while he served in the Navy.

“For far too long, sailors like Lt. Milk were forced into the shadows or, worse yet, forced out of our beloved Navy,” Del Toro said. “That injustice is part of our Navy history, but so is the perseverance of all who continue to serve in the face of injustice.”
And this part is amazing, in that trump and his fascist killers didnt stop this from happening:

In 2016, then-Navy Secretary Ray Mabus decided that six new oilers scheduled to be built would be named after civil and human rights leaders. In addition to Milk, they include Sojourner Truth, Chief Justice Earl Warren, Robert F. Kennedy, suffragist Lucy Stone and Rep. John Lewis of Georgia.
I sigh in your general direction.
sam lefthand

Re: Navy launches ship named for gay rights leader Harvey Milk

Post by sam lefthand »

Libertas wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:51 pm And this part is amazing, in that trump and his fascist killers didnt stop this from happening:
Libertas, you don't fathom their sense of humor.

I don't think this naming was intended to be an honor. The ship which is being named after him is a replenishment oilier. Most of them are named after American rivers or navel engineers. Why did they suddenly decide to name one after Harvey Milk???

Think MILK, think about udders with tits. When they replenish a fleet it could be seen as a maternal bosom act between two ships at sea. An oilier proceeds to service the entire fleet one or more to a side from her breasts.

It's a sick bottom joke Libertas. Some folks some where are laughing their asses off.

:|

Here's a photo of the USNS Big Horn, see the 6 oil tits sticking up from her deck, and his name is "milk," get it???

gounion

Post by gounion »

sam lefthand wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:34 pm Libertas, you don't fathom their sense of humor.

I don't think this naming was intended to be an honor. The ship which is being named after him is a replenishment oilier. Most of them are named after American rivers or navel engineers. Why did they suddenly decide to name one after Harvey Milk???

Think MILK, think about udders with tits. When they replenish a fleet it could be seen as a maternal bosom act between two ships at sea. An oilier proceeds to service the entire fleet one or more to a side from her breasts.

It's a sick bottom joke Libertas. Some folks some where are laughing their asses off.

Here's a photo of the USNS Big Horn, see the 6 oil tits sticking up from her deck, and his name is "milk," get it???

Is this just your opinion, or are there people in gay rights leadership or the family saying this?
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

gounion wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:52 pm Is this just your opinion, or are there people in gay rights leadership or the family saying this?
A sailor is saying it GoUnion.

What I said to Libertas also applies to you, you don't fathom their sense of humor. It was named after him because his last name was MILK. That he was also gay makes it even more funny.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:52 pm Is this just your opinion, or are there people in gay rights leadership or the family saying this?
It is partially a joke that they knew Harvey would be in on and would approve...

“If there’s a heaven, Harvey is laughing,” Jones said. “He’s probably up there cracking jokes about oiling sailors.”longtime friend Cleve Jones tells TheWrap

https://www.thewrap.com/harvey-milk-navy-ship/

But if you read it the way you know who says it, you would think otherwise.

And according to this story one was named after John Lewis also...and I doubt the one named after Lewis was meant as a joke.

In January, Mabus named a ship after civil rights leader and Georgia Congressman John Lewis and promised six more “fleet replenishment oilers,” which bring fuel and supplies to other Navy ships at sea, will be named after “people who have fought for civil rights and human rights in this country.”
It is sad we couldnt have a quiet little thread about honoring Milk. That he served when many cons wouldnt, chickenshit chickenhawks.

And this part I did not know:
Milk joined the Navy in 1951 and was stationed in San Diego as a diving instructor, achieving the rank of lieutenant junior grade before leaving in 1955.
That is a prestigious job in the Navy...
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:34 pm Libertas, you don't fathom their sense of humor.

Misogynist post.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:17 pmThat he was also gay makes it even more funny.
Because...

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:28 pm It is sad we couldnt have a quiet little thread about honoring Milk.
Not even my bff's 11 year old would laugh at these stupid, misogynist, homophobic "jokes". :problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by sam lefthand »

carmenjonze wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:16 amBecause...
I wasn't going to go there but since Libertas quoted Harvey's friend who went there, here it is:

“If there’s a heaven, Harvey is laughing,” Jones said. “He’s probably up there cracking jokes about oiling sailors.”longtime friend Cleve Jones tells TheWrap

Check this out, ships have faces and this is the USNS Harvey Milk's face:

They gave her interesting eyes. And a smaller than usual very attractive bulbous chin. My guess is her hull was designed to ride the longer Pacific ocean swell.

:)
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

carmenjonze wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:12 am Misogynist post.

Because ... .
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:52 am :|

Because ... .
^braindead imitation and mimicry

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by sam lefthand »

carmenjonze wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:58 am ^braindead imitation and mimicry
Now we're leaving Harvey Milk Navy jokes behind and are getting to the fun jokes.

:lol:

Please explain why my informative post was a "Misogynist post" in your eyes?
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:03 am

troll

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by sam lefthand »

carmenjonze wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:23 amtroll
I'm taking this opportunity to give you a nice projectionist award:

:)

Libertas

Post by Libertas »

I am the one who brought the friend's quote to the discussion.

Not you know who.

And why are they dedicating the same type of ship to John Lewis if this is supposed to be a way to MOCK Harvey Milk?

Funny how you cant find a single report about this mocking other than in this thread...And nobody makes fun of diving instructors in the Navy. Certainly not to their face, anyway.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Libertas wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:42 am I am the one who brought the friend's quote to the discussion.

Not you know who.

And why are they dedicating the same type of ship to John Lewis if this is supposed to be a way to MOCK Harvey Milk?

Funny how you cant find a single report about this mocking other than in this thread...And nobody makes fun of diving instructors in the Navy. Certainly not to their face, anyway.
But Sam was in the Navy and he says so, so that means it's true.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

The Harvey Milk thing is an afterthought, not original intent. It’s not something Ray Maybus would do.

Also, look at the six names, and it’s a obvious that the intent is to recognize various key leaders in advancing civil rights.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:33 am The Harvey Milk thing is an afterthought, not original intent. It’s not something Ray Maybus would do.

Also, look at the six names, and it’s a obvious that the intent is to recognize various key leaders in advancing civil rights.
You can't say that. It has to be how Sam said, because Sam was in the Navy and you can't argue with that!
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:24 am But Sam was in the Navy and he says so, so that means it's true.
A homophobe who thinks dumb antigay jokes are funny. :problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:30 am

troll

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:50 am You can't say that. It has to be how Sam said, because Sam was in the Navy and you can't argue with that!
I was in the Navy as well, my dad was on a famous ship in a famous battle called

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tassafaronga

he was quartermaster chief on the USS Northampton...

I was only in for a few months, long story, medical discharge. So I know very little about the Navy in the big picture. I know enough that diving instructors, which Milk was apparently, are highly regarded. Pretty sure they teach the Seals.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

gounion wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:24 am But Sam was in the Navy and he says so, so that means it's true.
I was in the US Air Force, then the US Merchant Marine. I've never been in the US Navy.

I do know quite a bit about it. I do know for sure that in the Kriegsmarine that fleet oiliers were commonly referred to as Milch Cows. They had both U-boat versions and surface oilier ships they called them that.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Libertas wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:42 am I am the one who brought the friend's quote to the discussion.

Not you know who.

Yes, thanks for bringing that, it tends to back up what I was saying about it quite nicely.

I'm happy that Harvey Milk would be pleased in heaven to be thought of as "oiling sailors" on Earth.

:lol:

He sounds like a man who had a good sense of humor. Enjoyed puns.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

This sounds more like in insider's joke that doesn't translate well to those who aren't in the Navy or Merchant Marine.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

“ In 2016, then-Navy Secretary Ray Mabus decided that six new oilers scheduled to be built would be named after civil and human rights leaders. In addition to Milk, they include Sojourner Truth, Chief Justice Earl Warren, Robert F. Kennedy, suffragist Lucy Stone and Rep. John Lewis of Georgia.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireSto ... y-81011078