RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

When overprivileged, white libbercon hipsters and their admirers from Silly Valley do it, it's cute and trendy.

Silicon Valley’s Next Big Idea: Untreated Drinking Water - Fortune

Quote:
After his widely-maligned startup Juicero shut down in September, founder Doug Evans immediately hopped on a much more obscure health trend. While at Burning Man, he went on a 10 day cleanse drinking only “raw” water – that is, water that is unfiltered and untreated in any way.

Now, the company that supplied Evans’ water, Live Water, is among those attracting attention and investment from Silicon Valley’s health-conscious elite. Enthusiasm for “raw water” is also, health experts say, spreading dangerous misinformation and discredited conspiracy theories that could put public health at risk.

The New York Times reports that Live Water, which costs more than five dollars a gallon, is often sold out in one natural-foods store in San Francisco’s Mission District. Live Water’s founder – who changed his name from Christopher Sanborn to Mukande Singh – claims that public tap water is “toilet water with birth control drugs in them.”

The company also claims its water is “probiotic,” or promoting of intestinal flora. That is likely true in a broad sense – the water turns green if it’s not consumed within a month.

Another concern of raw water boosters is flouride. One proponent interviewed by the Times described the effective anti-cavity treatment added to most municipal water supplies as “a deathly toxic chemical.” A startup called Zero Mass Water promises to protect drinkers from that danger by drawing water directly from atmospheric moisture. The Times reports that it has raised $24 million in venture capital.

Get Data Sheet, Fortune’s technology newsletter.

Fear of flouride, of course, has been satirized as paranoid hysteria since General Jack D. Ripper ranted about the “international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids” in 1964’s Dr. Strangelove. And the Mayo Clinic’s Dr. Donald Hensrud, stating the obvious, told the Times that water treatment and filtration eliminates serious health risks including E. coli bacteria and viruses. As experienced campers know, even apparently pristine mountain streams often contain nasty parasites like giardia and cryptosporidium.

:problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :roll: :problem: :problem:

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:55 am 
Board Emeritus

When overprivileged, white libbercon hipsters and their admirers from Silly Valley do it, it's cute and trendy.

Silicon Valley’s Next Big Idea: Untreated Drinking Water - Fortune

:problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :roll: :problem: :problem:

well shucks, thats a sure fire way to wipe out a bunch of humans. :shock:
yeh, go drink that giardia water!! dont wait, do it now.
find the closest pond or stream and suck it down.

we'll start the human countdown. why it'll be bigger than the "opioid epidemic".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm in a bad mood. Right now, the idea of thousands of identical cute Santa Monica "Silicon Beach" Millennials dying of bacteria with fancy names instead of spouting hours of caffeinated business jargon seems quite attractive. Much better than wiping out poor people of color in Michigan. Go for it, kids.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm in a bad mood. Right now, the idea of thousands of identical cute Santa Monica "Silicon Beach" Millennials dying of bacteria with fancy names instead of spouting hours of caffeinated business jargon seems quite attractive. Much better than wiping out poor people of color in Michigan. Go for it, kids.

Thanks, ZoWie. I needed that.

Every time I hear this anti-fluoridation crap I get pissed. As for untreated water? Yeah, go drink untreated water, asshats. The makers of vancomycin love you. Watch as the antibiotics that cure you from your stupidity rip up your veins.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:51 pm 
Policy Wonk

Snyder refuses temporary oil pipeline shutdown

Quote:
Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder has rejected a call to shut down twin oil pipelines in a Great Lakes waterway so their external coating can be inspected for gaps............

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:38 pm 
Policy Wonk

governor snyder is cutting off bottled water supplies to residents in Flint while the water continues to flow through lead tainted pipes and for some lead pipes that havent been replaced leaving pregnant woman in danger of involuntary abortions, and children in danger of developmental issues.

State of Michigan: No more free bottled water for Flint residents

Quote:
The state announced Friday that the health of Flint's drinking water has been restored and state distribution of free bottled water in the city is ending, likely within a few days.

The announcement drew immediate outrage from residents who say the water is still not safe to drink, four years after it became contaminated with lead as a result of errors made by the state Department of Environmental Quality and other agencies.

"It's too quick," said Flint activist Melissa Mays of the group Water You Fighting For.

"They're putting dollars and cents ahead of Flint residents, which is how we got here in the first place," said Mays, who is concerned about lead spikes resulting from the ongoing removal of Flint's lead water lines, plus other water contaminants, such as bacteria.

All four remaining water distribution centers will close as soon as existing supplies run out, Gov. Rick Snyder's office said in a news release.

Tiffany Brown, a spokeswoman for the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, said she believes there is a four to seven-day supply of water currently.

Ari Adler, a spokesman for Snyder, acknowledged that the supply may run out more quickly once Flint residents become aware the free distribution is ending..............

and this happening
Quote:
........... four days after the DEQ announced it would allow Nestlé Waters North America to increase the amount of water it withdraws from the state’s groundwater table from 250 gallons a minute to 400 gallons. The bottled water company's increased access to the water for a nominal fee has been pointed to as representing a sharp contrast to what Flint residents have experienced since 2014................

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:32 am 
Policy Wonk

if you'd like to express your concern for flint residents still vulnerable to lead spikes in their drinking water from the unsafe pipes that have not been replaced. Lead exposure causes miscarriages in expectant mothers and developmental problems in children. Governor snyder is ending bottle water suplies to Flint residents.

http://www.michigan.gov/snyder/0,4668,7-277--267869--,00.html

Contact Governor Rick Snyder via:

Email:
governorsoffice@michigan.gov
Mail:
Governor Rick Snyder
P.O. Box 30013
Lansing, Michigan 48909
Phone:
517-373-3400
517-335-7858 (Constituent Services)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:19 pm 
Policy Wonk

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

This is unreal. What's MI going to do about Snyder?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not a damn thing. Voter suppression and emergency managers take care of everything.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:39 pm 
Policy Wonk

yea Michigan republicans are not much on personal responsibility for themselves.

https://twitter.com/hankwinchester/status/879450461920780288

Supreme Court to hear unemployment recipients falsely accused of fraud

really punitive towards the most vulnerable though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

yea Michigan republicans are not much on personal responsibility for themselves.

https://twitter.com/hankwinchester/status/879450461920780288

Supreme Court to hear unemployment recipients falsely accused of fraud

really punitive towards the most vulnerable though.

unbelievable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:40 pm 
Policy Wonk

CITY SLANG Tunde Olaniran summed up the Flint water crisis in one perfect tweetstorm

Quote:
Last week, Gov. Rick Snyder announced that due to decreasing levels of lead in Flint's water supply, the state would cease sending the city bottled water once current supplies run out.

Yay! Crisis over, right? Wrong.

Tunde Olaniran, a Flint-based musical artist, isn't buying the governor's cheerfully delivered news. He launched into a twitterstorm in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, lampooning everything from the horrible optics of the state approving Nestlé to pump Michigan freshwater the very same week it announced it would stop sending Flint bottled water, to the systemic racism that led to the water crisis, to what it's been like to live without reliable city water for the past four years.

"My accumulated water bill is almost at $1,500 at this point," he tweeted. "I'm not paying."

Tunde's initial tweet got shared more than 20,000 times since he posted it a little after midnight. It and its following tweets are embedded below.

Olaniran released his latest single "Vulnerable" last week. His forthcoming record, Stranger, is slated for a summer release.............

more at link

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:06 pm 
Policy Wonk

Flint residents rally against end of bottled water program

Quote:
Dozens of Flint, Michigan, residents angry about the state's decision to end a free bottled water program took their outrage to the state Capitol on Wednesday.

The protest comes amid assertions by Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder that the levels of lead in Flint's water are below the federal limit and the quality is "well within the standards." Four years ago, when the city switched its water source from Lake Huron to the Flint River, large quantities of lead leached into the water supply and sickened hundreds of adults and children.

Two buses carrying residents -- including children holding plastic water bottles -- left Flint on Wednesday morning for the one-hour drive to the state capital of Lansing, according to a tweet from a reporter with CNN affiliate WEYI.

In Lansing, dozens of residents marched from the Anderson House Office Building to the steps of the Capitol, according to video from CNN affiliate WJRT. A rally was planned in the Capitol rotunda as state lawmakers gathered down the hall, according to a statement from rally organizers...............

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:54 pm 
Policy Wonk

I’m a Flint resident. I’m done paying for water that is not safe.

Quote:
The state will no longer provide bottled water to residents, even though this crisis is not over.

Now they had shut off my water.

I grabbed my coat and wallet and headed out in the rain to the city’s water department. I am lucky, because I have money in my account and a working car with gas in the tank. With about 30 minutes to close of business, I parked and ran inside the city building to pay my minimum fee. At the counter, the employee told me (in a very practiced, neutral tone) my earliest reconnection would be in a week. Again, I am fortunate: I can afford a hotel; I can drive to a nearby suburb and stay with family; I do not have small children or any medical condition that requires I have daily access to running water.

I decided to stay overnight with an aunt in an affluent, majority-white suburb outside Flint, with plans to call the water department in the morning to raise some hell for an earlier reconnection date. The next morning, I filled a glass of water from her kitchen sink and drank greedily. I brushed my teeth with water straight from the faucet. (At home, I keep a glass of filtered water on the bathroom sink for that.) When I showered, the water was soft, and my soap lathered quickly. My skin felt smooth in a way to which I was not...............

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:44 pm 
Policy Wonk

Flint and unexpected consequences

Quote:
By Curt Guyette

When I began investigating Flint's water problems three years ago, it wasn't with the intent of laying the groundwork for future lawsuits. I was hired by the ACLU of Michigan to report on issues related to the state's emergency manager law, and Flint was one of the cities where democracy had been stripped away and replaced by an austerity-driven autocracy.

After witnessing angry residents cram into public meetings to wave bottles of the foul-looking water coming out of their taps — and denials by public officials that there was any problem with the water — it made sense to look into what was going on, and how it might relate to the state takeover.

It was simply a matter of pursuing a potential story, not knowing where it might go. And it has led to some truly unexpected places. Last year, for example, I was invited to San Francisco to speak at an event held in conjunction with an updated production of Henrik Ibsen's play An Enemy of the People, which was written in the 1880s but tells a story that is eerily similar to the tragedy that occurred in Flint.

When I arrived in the Bay Area, the top headline in that day's San Francisco Chronicle announced the alarming discovery of lead-laced drinking water at several local schools. It's safe to say that revelation was directly related to the awareness raised by the Flint water crisis and the worldwide attention it eventually received.

Who could have imagined such far-reaching results? Certainly not me.

I bring all this up now because two things have me musing about Flint and unintended consequences. As it turns out, this month marks both a grim anniversary for the residents of Flint and the announcement of a significant step forward in safeguarding the future of the city's schoolchildren.

It was four years ago, on April 25, 2014, that the totally avoidable manmade disaster began to unfold.

Instead of the clean, safe water Detroit's system had been providing for nearly 50 years, improperly treated water from the highly corrosive Flint River began flowing into the city's homes, businesses, churches, and schools.

As the world now knows, that fateful decision — made unilaterally by a state-appointed emergency manager looking to save $5 million — had disastrous results. The motivation was to save money, and ensure bondholders never missed receiving a payment. But putting the city's water treatment plant into operation before it was ready to do the job, and failing to add federally mandated corrosion control chemicals to highly caustic river water, clearly demonstrated a callous disregard for the well-being of nearly 100,000 people.

For those who embrace the mantra of "running government like a business," Flint has shown the terrible downside of putting that philosophy into action.

Cost-cutting to improve Flint's financial bottom line resulted in............

more at link

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:06 am 

The people of Michigan tried to do something about that festering boil in the governor's chair. They voted to terminate the law that enabled him to unilaterally override a duly elected city government! But then he and his GOP POS called a late night legislative session and voted the law back into effect, with added stipulation that it could NEVER APPEAR ON THE BALLOT for voters to vote down

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:50 pm 
Policy Wonk

Michigan: More free water in Flint would ‘stigmatize' city

Quote:
The state of Michigan is defending a decision to cut off free bottled water in Flint, saying tap water now is as “good or better” than in many communities.

Attorneys responded Thursday to a request that the state be ordered to resume water distribution. Federal Judge Judith Levy is holding a hearing Friday...............

.......Lawyers say a restraining order would “further stigmatize” Flint.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:18 am 
Policy Wonk

Flint crisis, four years on: what little trust is left continues to wash away

Quote:
..........Most attention directed at Flint goes into cleaning up the city’s water supply, an undeniably vital goal. But it also feels like a bizarre one in a city where many people are unlikely to ever drink another drop of tap water as long as they live.

“The biggest thing that people are not talking about is the psychological damage,” said Walters. “I’ve seen people go into full-on panic attacks, hyperventilating, trying to take a sip of water at a restaurant, and they just can’t do it. I know of a 17-year-old who is terrified to take a bath.” She added: “These things have not gotten better.”........

Flint’s free bottled water program ends despite safety concerns

interview with Flint Mayor Karen Weaver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:11 pm 
Policy Wonk

Flint mayor asks EPA to intervene, re-start water meetings cancelled by state

Quote:
Mayor Karen Weaver is asking the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to intervene and require that the state re-start meetings of a Flint water advisory group appointed by Gov. Rick Snyder.

The Governor's Office announced April 17 that a meeting of the Flint Water Interagency Coordinating Committee had been canceled because Weaver threatened to sue the state over issues including an end to state-funded bottled water in the city.

Weaver wrote to Chris Korleski, director of EPA's Region 5 Water Office, on Friday, April 27, calling the cancellation retaliatory and saying the decision has prevented the city and state from complying with a January 2016 federal order.

The emergency administrative order from EPA required the state, with the city's concurrence, to create a panel of experts to make recommendations on the city's water system................

Retaliation for Mayor of Flint advocating for resident safety and public health. something any Mayor should do without fear that the states governor will take it out on people that he poisoned.

Quote:
.......FWICC membership includes the mayor, water experts from state government, representatives of Genesee County government and others.

The group has worked on issues including maintaining chlorine in the city water system, Legionnaires' disease and water testing for lead and copper.

The EPA required FWICC's establishment in an emergency administrative order issued to the state and city after federal recognition of the Flint water crisis. The order includes a total of 15 items that the state was required to address..........

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:28 pm 
Policy Wonk

State warned Flint of 'significant' problems two weeks before cutting off bottled water

Quote:
........."The department's concern is the ability of the city to maintain that," Brown said in an email to MLive-The Flint Journal. "The treatment plant is not adequately staffed and is being supplemented by a short-term contract. The department is also concerned about the viability of the funding for the system and the ability of the city to adopt a rate structure that will adequately support operation of the system. DEQ is working with the city on the next steps to maintain the consistency of the system."

Two weeks after expressing those concerns, state officials announced they were ending payments for bottled water, citing two years of testing that showed water in homes was below the federal action level for lead........

Governor's office says Michelle Wolf's 'inaccurate comments' won't help Flint

Quote:
Michelle Wolf has been under fire for her performance at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner, but also praised for her closing comment -- "That Flint still doesn't have clean water."

Now that mic-drop on the water crisis is also getting the stamp of disapproval from Gov. Rick Snyder's press secretary.

Wolf, a contributor on Comedy Central's "The Daily Show With Trevor Noah," ended her routine on Saturday, April 28, with the single line about Flint's water, attracting a new critic in Anna Heaton, Snyder's primary spokeswoman.

Heaton said Wolf's comments don't reflect the reality of what's happened in the city.

"All state scientists and independent scientists who have collected their own samples and data agree that Flint's water system is testing well beneath the federal standards for lead and that the city's water is in fact of better quality than many other U.S. cities of similar size and age," Heaton said in an email to MLive-The Flint Journal. "Inaccurate comments from comedians will not help the city move forward."

Mayor Karen Weaver's office issued a comment Wednesday, May 2, suggesting Wolf was helping the city by "talking and thinking about Flint."

Weaver "does not want the city to be forgotten because the crisis is not yet over," according to a statement from the mayor...........

Curt Guyette: Many Flint Residents Still Believe Their Drinking Water Is Unsafe

Quote:
...........But many of the city’s residents don’t much believe the water’s safe. Who can blame them? Because of decisions made by state-appointed emergency managers and the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, they were forced to use water laced with dangerously high levels of lead, a potent neurotoxin, and contaminated by bacteria that cause Legionnaires’ disease, which claimed at least 12 lives during the 18 months the city used the Flint River as its municipal water source. Despite the concerns voiced by residents and mounting scientific evidence that a massive problem existed, those same officials repeatedly offered assurances that the water was safe and attacked the credibility of those attempting to reveal the truth.

Gov. Rick Snyder’s end of bottled water giveaways meets intense resistance. Flint mayor Karen Weaver has threatened legal action. Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha, the Flint pediatrician who proved blood lead levels in children dramatically increased after the switch to the river, tweeted that bottled water should continue to be provided until all the city’s lead service lines are replaced.

Residents agree, with many expressing concerns that unfiltered tap water can still pose significant risk.

They are right. Lead testing done by the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality in February found 28 water samples in elementary schools that registered above the federal lead limit of 15 parts per billion.

Even Low Levels Are Risky

But even that minimizes the real problem affecting Flint and its water.

Because of the crisis, it’s now generally acknowledged that the federal lead limit is dangerously outdated. Lead is especially harmful to pregnant women, infants, and young children. Even at very low levels, lead can cause kids to lose IQ points and to develop learning disabilities and behavioral problems.

So it isn’t surprising that Flint’s mayor and the rest of the community remain skeptical of the governor’s declaration that the water is safe again — assurances they heard before from state officials who knew it was unfit to consume.

In March 2015, Flint’s emergency manager refused to allow a return to Detroit’s system, saying there was no need because the water was “safe.” Then, a few months later, a spokesman for the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality insisted the residents of Flint should just “relax” because extensive testing showed federal lead standards were being met, despite warnings from scientists that those tests were dangerously flawed.

For families who got sick believing official lies about the water, there are few reasons for faith in government now, especially when some of the very officials accused of playing a role in the crisis — including two health officials charged with involuntary manslaughter — remain on the job, while taxpayers finance their defense. In all, 15 state and local officials were hit with felony charges, with four having taken plea deals in return for their cooperation with prosecutors.

Perhaps one of the biggest reasons why Flint residents don’t trust their government is the fact that the law — which the governor’s own task force acknowledged led to this nightmare — still hasn’t been repealed, or even altered at all.

Emergency Manager

In 2012, legislators passed an emergency manager law, which enabled ...........

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:16 am 
Board Emeritus

As I understand it the water in the water mains is safe. The lead has been leaching into the water from the small lead tap off pipes from the main. Which means one house might have fine water and another house next door might have lead in the water.

The only way to figure it out is to test the water from the kitchen faucet in every house in the city. And that would be after making sure that there was not a water filter installed in the pipe leading to that faucet. If there's a filter then the water needs to be tested from a faucet or hose bib that is not inline with that filter.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:39 am 
Policy Wonk

As I understand it the water in the water mains is safe. The lead has been leaching into the water from the small lead tap off pipes from the main. Which means one house might have fine water and another house next door might have lead in the water.

The only way to figure it out is to test the water from the kitchen faucet in every house in the city. And that would be after making sure that there was not a water filter installed in the pipe leading to that faucet. If there's a filter then the water needs to be tested from a faucet or hose bib that is not inline with that filter.

theres also water heaters that were exposed to the worst of it, also being only half way through replacement, the heavy equipment, activity, the digging up of the pipes can cause pieces to break off and lodge in the flow.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:00 am 
Board Emeritus

theres also water heaters that were exposed to the worst of it, also being only half way through replacement, the heavy equipment, activity, the digging up of the pipes can cause pieces to break off and lodge in the flow.

Testing at the point at which the water is poured into a drinking glass will include contamination from sources such as that. However that testing only tests the water the day the test was taken. If a section of pipe is replaced under the street the water needs to be retested after that work is done.

A water heater which has been exposed, if the exposure contamination is solved may retain and release lead later for a while, but that would flush out within a month. Besides most people don't drink hot water and most coffee makers don't like to brew coffee from hot water. That leaves a once in a while case of filling a pan to boil and cook food. That would not amount to much overall exposure, I doubt it would be measurable. Telling people to not fill pans for cooking with hot water would solve it.

The reason I mentioned water filters is they have bypass valves which open if the filter clogs. A filter might not be clogged the day the water is tested but later the filter may clog and if there is lead in the water leading to the filter when that bypass valve opens then the lead will start coming out of the faucet.

Activated charcoal filters remove lead very well, but those filters need to be changed before they clog and the bypass valve opens, and that is something which rarely happens in real every day life.

There's no getting around it unless every house has had it's tap pipe replaced, or it has been confirmed it is not made of lead and doesn't need to be replaced, the water needs is tested from the faucet inside after making sure that a filter that can remove lead is not inline there may be lead in the water. And that water needs to be tested every few months until that pipe has been replaced if it needs to be replaced.

I know they haven't done that. :|

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:11 pm 
Policy Wonk

Until they do right

Quote:
Until they do right by the people of Flint Michigan and provide clean water,
I am personally asking ALLLLL OF YOU to call (517)373-3400 and email Governor Rick Snyder at rick.snyder@michigan.gov
EVERYDAY because “Flint Ain’t Fixed!”

Jenifer Lewis Advocates for Flint residents in Song

Quote:
I just got back from Flint, yeah, that Flint.
I saw that dirty water with my own eyes.
But not to my surprise, Gov. Snyder, you're not much of a provider.
'Cause Flint ain't fixed!
Flint ain't fixed!
Flint ain't fixed!
The children up there are sick.
The lead in the water is thick.
Flint ain't fixed!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11