RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:56 pm 
Policy Wonk

From your link:

Weaver has endorsed replacing all of the city's lead pipes starting immediately while Snyder has pushed for assessing the makeup and condition of the water system before deciding how much of the lead piping to replace and when.

Wow, no matter what, Snyder just doesn't want to actually do the right thing, does he?

He'll have to get back to you on that urgent business people stuff calling

Gov. Rick Snyder leaves for Europe on Saturday amid Flint water crisis

Quote:
......Snyder will first meet with German government and company leaders before traveling to Switzerland, Italy and the Netherlands.

“Our efforts to improve Michigan’s business climate have now made our state a desirable location for new investment from companies around the world,” Snyder said in a news release. “When I meet with companies on our trade missions, they are impressed with the strength of the state’s economic comeback and the abundant talent the people of Michigan have. These investment missions have opened doors with business leaders in other countries, resulting in good jobs for Michigan residents now and for years to come.”

Michigan Economic Development Corporation Chief Executive Officer Steve Arwood and other MEDC officials are joining the trip, as well as representatives from local economic development agencies including the Detroit Regional Chamber and Southwest Michigan First of Kalamazoo......

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:38 am 
Board Emeritus

Gee, will Michigan give him another term?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:28 pm 
Policy Wonk

Family in water crisis uses more than 200 water bottles per day

video at link

Quote:
April 25, 2016 marked the two-year anniversary of the Flint water crisis. And one family knows the struggle all too well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Can't get the video to play, 3 different browsers. Firefox, Chrome or IE.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:29 pm 
Policy Wonk

Obama to visit Flint after 8-year-old girl asks to meet him

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama will travel to Flint next Wednesday to see the effects caused by a spike in lead levels in the drinking water there and address public health concerns and the government response to the crisis.

A White House official confirmed Wednesday morning that Obama will visit Flint on May 4 to “hear firsthand from Flint residents about the public health crisis, receive an in-person briefing on the federal efforts in place … and deliver remarks to community members.”........

Quote:
Mr. President,

Hello my name is Mari Copeny and I'm 8 years old, I live in Flint,Michigan and I'm more commonly known around town as "Little Miss Flint". I am one of the children that is effected by this water and I've been doing my best to march in protest and to speak out for all the kids that live here in Flint. This Thursday I will be riding a bus to Washington DC to watch the congressional hearings of our Governor Rick Snyder. I know this is pry a odd request but I would love for a chance to meet you or your wife. My mom said chances are you will be to busy with more important things but there is a lot of people coming on these buses and even just a meeting from you or your wife would really lift peoples spirits. Thank you for all that do for our country. I look forward to being able to come to Washington and to be able to see Gov.Snyder in person and to be ale to be in the city where you live.

Thank You
Mari Copeny

so far only the will of the business community, the republican party, and the Governor whos disaterous emergency management policy caused the poising of the people of Flint is winning out, obstructing, postponing, and outright denial of relief now 2 years soon to be 3 then 4 then 5 then 6 then......

Quote:
......U.S. Rep. Dan Kildee, D-Flint Township, who represents the area in Congress, said the president's visit will help to keep focus on Flint as the crisis continues. Residents have been warned to drink bottled or filtered water there now for months even as Michigan members of Congress have pleaded for funding to replace aging lead service lines in Flint.

“All Americans should be focused on the ongoing public health emergency," Kildee said. "A city of 100,000 people continues to not have safe drinking water and has been exposed to high levels of lead. As a nation, and as Americans, we must come together to help Flint families recover from this terrible tragedy.”.....

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:17 pm 
Policy Wonk

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Gov. Rick Snyder booed while speaking to Flint residents

The full speech can be seen here at c-span its dystopian and a bit eerie but only lasts 2:45

after years of attacking minority and poor populations mercilessly he is basically vowing to continue more of the same but under the guise and by way of "fixing the problem".

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:44 pm 
Policy Wonk

President Obama spoke at Northwestern High School in Flint, Michigan, following a discussion with the city’s residents. 

President Obama Remarks in Flint, Michigan

Obama to Flint: 'I've got your back

Quote:
.......Dozens of protesters stood outside of the high school where Obama is slated to speak. Holding signs demanding access to clean water and accountability for government officials, the protesters chanted and beat drums. She said “people in Flint want what they have endured to make a difference for other communities facing environmental injustice. I have heard Flint residents say that over and over again.”

Annette Washington of Detroit said she drove to Flint early Wednesday to have her voice heard by the president.

"I got family here," she said. "What's happening is inhumane and wrong. Anywhere else in the country, this wouldn't be happening. Something needs to change because people are hurting."

Meanwhile, a long line wrapped around the parking lot of the high school where eager Flint residents clutched tickets and waded through intense security.

"I wasn't lucky enough to get a ticket, but I've got my lawn chair and I'm hoping for just a glimpse of the president," said Flint resident Joi Clemens.

New Jerusalem Full Gospel Baptist Church Deacon Daniel Hall was passing out water to Flint residents at his church in Mt. Morris Township, which straddles the city limits of Flint.

Hall said he was excited and humbled that Obama made the trek to visit the city.

"Shortly down the street is where the president will be here in Flint and I am appreciative of this opportunity for Flint to have him here," he said. "We're happy to have him here in a historical moment and at the end of his candidacy........

Obama drinks Flint water, vouches for safety

Quote:
.....President Obama drank from a glass of what he said was filtered Flint water at a Flint food bank Wednesday as he vouched for the safety of certified filters and encouraged most city residents to start drinking filtered water instead of bottled water.

"If you're using a filter ... then Flint water at this point is drinkable," Obama said after taking a drink of filtered water.

The only exception is pregnant women and children under 6, who should continue to use bottled water "out of an abundance of caution," he said.

That doesn't mean Flint's lead service lines don't need to be replaced, Obama said, but that could take two years or even longer.......

a lot of stuff in the speech worth having a listen. I disagree on the safety of the water as rachel points out in her report last week the lead levels still spike from time to time just last week one home reported over 22,000 ppb which is the highest ever.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watc ... 2191555650

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:54 pm 
Policy Wonk

Flint residents' lawyer: Water still not safe to drink

Quote:
......U.S. District Judge David Lawson heard arguments from both sides, including the state's contention that things aren't really moving that slowly, and that a 2 1/2-month response time to an emergency request from last fall was reasonable.

"Depends on if you're trying to take a shower in your own home," Lawson quipped, triggering laughter in the courtroom.

More than 50 people packed Lawson's courtroom in downtown Detroit this morning for the first hearing in a lawsuit that seeks to force Michigan officials and the city of Flint to comply with the federal Safe Drinking Water Act, including by replacing the city's lead service lines. The lawsuit, which was filed in January, also seeks a preliminary injunction, asking the court to order the delivery of bottled water to people’s homes as many Flint residents have transportation issues.........

Quote:
........Flint resident Nayyirah Shariff, who also attended the hearing, agreed, arguing her city has suffered long enough at the hands of inept leaders.

"There needs to be a better way for people to get water," Shariff said. "The state Legislature is slow to act. They still have not allocated resources for us ... We need relief. We need those lines replaced.".......

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:34 pm 
Policy Wonk

Women in Flint protest water crisis with 'die-in' outside treatment plant

Quote:
Ten women clad in red paint-splattered jumpsuits held a "die-in" on the steps of the Flint water treatment plant today.

With the city's name across each of their chests, the paint bled down to their legs, representing health issues women have ......

......"It's about talking about women's reproductive systems that have been damaged by Flint's water system," said Desiree Duell, a Flint resident and activist. "Many have had miscarriages, and the girls who were born through this may have damaged eggs. We've been poisoned."

Each women laid in protest for approximately 20 minutes as part of performance piece titled "America's Heartbreakers.".......

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Politicians can drink all the Flint water they want, but I'll bet they're not getting from the corroded pipes. Therefore we have a classic fact omission propaganda technique.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:58 pm 
Policy Wonk

NAACP sues Michigan officials over Flint water crisis

Quote:
Another big name has surfaced in the tsunami of Flint water lawsuits: the NAACP, which is suing Gov. Rick Snyder, several state officials and two engineering firms for allegedly poisoning a city with toxic drinking water by failing to detect that something was wrong.

The group announced the 103-page class-action lawsuit today, though it was filed on March 31 in U.S. District Court, alleging many officials failed to detect problems, ignored red flags and then made the problem worse by not properly treating the water -- all while emergency managers were in control.

The lawsuit claims that officials and companies supervising the water system failed to properly treat the water supply for salt and other chemicals, which caused lead to leech from corroded pipes into the drinking water for years. Officials also repeatedly denied and dismissed reports of poor water quality and pipe corrosion before acknowledging widespread failures to act, the lawsuit says.

The defendants in the lawsuit are Gov. Rick Snyder, along with six former high-ranking officials with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, and three men who were emergency managers during the prolonged exposure period. Two engineering firms hired to analyze water in the city are also named in the suit: Lockwood, Andrews and Newnam Inc. and Veolia North America -- both of which are accused of worsenening the extent of the.....

Quote:
.....The NAACP and attorneys in the case are planning to host Town Hall meetings with residents in the near future in Flint to discuss further action......

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:30 pm 
Policy Wonk

Beyonce back with love and aid for Flint and Detroit in their time of need

Beyoncé to reveal Flint donation, new Detroit initiative

Quote:
Beyoncé is set to reveal the fruits of her Flint fund-raising effort — and unveil plans for a charitable Detroit initiative.

The singer’s team will hold a Monday media event in Detroit to announce the total raised for crisis-stricken Flint during her Formation World Tour, which will wrap up its initial U.S. leg with a Ford Field show on Tuesday......

..........Monday's announcement follows through on a promise to aid Flint made when Beyoncé's tour was announced during February's Super Bowl.

“Flint residents represent us all,” McGregor said. “They represent the tour family, Parkwood, all of us. They’re everyday people that faced issues and circumstances that could happen in our backyards.”

While McGregor declined to provide details about Monday’s announcement, she did say the contribution to Flint will be a “large amount.” The foundation will also announce a new effort benefiting Detroit............

Snoop dog did a thing recently
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/flint-water-crisis/2016/05/21/charity-hoops-flint-basketball-game/84727190/

Quote:
Tom Izzo, Snoop Dogg among celebs at Flint Hoop 4 water

FLINT – It was a red-carpet affair, basketball and celebrity converging in the bowels of the arena. Paparazzi flashed their bulbs and TV camera lights shined as luminaries strolled by one at a time.

Finally, the crowd cleared. Snoop Dogg entered the building. He stopped long enough to hug 8-year-old Mari Copeny, whose letter to President Barack Obama about her hometown’s water crisis drew national attention. “Little Miss Flint” disappeared into the rapper’s arms.

Across from them sat unopened cases of bottled water. As if anyone there needed the reminder.

Snoop Dogg came to Flint on Saturday, teaming up with former Michigan State star Morris Peterson for the Hoop 4 Water charity basketball game at Dort Federal Credit Union Event Center. More than a thousand people came out, and Peterson said all of the proceeds will go through his foundation to help the city’s needs.

“We’re here to try to fix the problem,” Snoop Dogg said. “That’s why we’re bringing joy and happiness and a basketball game so people can have some fun. But no one understands what the cause is. We’re here to make sure we get the problem fixed out here with the water situation.”

It’s a cause Peterson and Snoop discussed in February after another celebrity game during NBA All-Star Weekend in Toronto. Snoop had traveled to Flint in January to meet with Mayor Karen Weaver, and Peterson said the rapper wanted to continue to help the city.

“We had just got done sweating, and I was like, ‘Let’s play a game.’ And he’s like, ‘I’m there. You don’t have to worry about anything, I’m coming down on my own dime because I care about this city,’ ” said Peterson, who got the night off from his broadcasting duties with TSN in Canada. “The rest is history.”...........

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:57 am 
Policy Wonk

Flint residents still afraid to drink water, want out

Quote:
.........Sonia Banner said she was apprehensive to use the city's water on her flowers this summer, but she did, and there's been no issue.

Still she's not ready to drink the water with a filter because she's not confident it's safe. Banner, 60, said she grew up in Belize, moved to the U.S. when she was 16 and has lived in Flint for the last 20 years.

She, too, may leave if the water issues doesn't get resolved soon. Banner anticipates making a decision by year's end.

“I’m from a third-world country, but I didn’t have to live like this. And I’m questioning myself," she said "I’m just getting sick and tired of having to live this way. I live in America.”.......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:32 pm 
Policy Wonk

In Flint, trust in filters – and government – elusive

Quote:
.........Michael Hood says he doesn’t dispute the science. But he says the recommendation doesn’t take into account how people are actually using the filters.

Hood runs a small humanitarian aid group in Flint called Crossing Water. The group has kept track of filter use at the homes it visits.

“Anywhere from 50 to 70 percent of folks that we’re seeing have filters that are not working,” Hood says, adding that it’s irresponsible to tell people it’s safe to drink filtered water when so many people aren’t using filters correctly.
“They are broken. They are not installed properly. Don’t have faucets that accommodate them. Or they (Flint residents) can’t read the instructions because there’s a very high illiteracy rate in the city of Flint.”
The EPA acknowledges these are real problems in Flint. But officials there say they’ve been working hard to educate Flint residents about the proper use of filters – both through home visits, and workshops they’ve staged across the city.........

Quote:
.......Johnson says she won’t believe water quality is improving in Flint until she sees the city’s lead pipes getting replaced. But that effort has been stalled, as the cost for the project far exceeded what city officials anticipated.
Meanwhile, some residents say they don’t foresee a day when they’ll ever have faith in the safety of their drinking water.

“As long as I’m in Flint, I don’t ever think I’ll drink from the tap again,” says Vanessa Terrell. Terrell moved back to Flint in 2011, after 30 years in California. She’s raising her granddaughter Faith, who she says ........

hoping people keep Flint in their thoughts as they still cannot get real relief or Justice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:58 am 
Political Junkie

Flint's population and economy have been falling since the late 1960's. That is one (of several) problems that have lead to the the water crisis.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Flint, Benton Harbor... it's appalling, and yes, it's racist.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:48 pm 
Policy Wonk

Flint's population and economy have been falling since the late 1960's. That is one (of several) problems that have lead to the the water crisis.

not true emergency management led to this crises and not replacing the pipes going into year 3 has exasperated the peoples ability to survive and stick around

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:38 am 
Political Junkie

not true emergency management led to this crises and not replacing the pipes going into year 3 has exasperated the peoples ability to survive and stick around
I'm certainly not defending the inept emergency (mis)management. The Flint Expat boards have been taking about this problem long before it hit national news. But, in my mind, all of this is part of the outfall from the economic downfall that Flint (and much of SE Michigan) has been facing since the 1970's...maybe late 60's.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:39 pm 
Policy Wonk

I'm certainly not defending the inept emergency (mis)management. The Flint Expat boards have been taking about this problem long before it hit national news. But, in my mind, all of this is part of the outfall from the economic downfall that Flint (and much of SE Michigan) has been facing since the 1970's...maybe late 60's.

oh no doubt they have had econmic decline but there is a difference in a city that is poor with no democracy and one poor with democracy. other outcomes are possible when you have rights and protection and representation for example

Judge blocks East Detroit CEO from taking over 4 schools

Quote:
A Macomb County judge has blocked a new CEO set to take over academics at four Eastpointe schools from starting his job in the district.

The State School Reform Office last month appointed Gary Jensen as the CEO for four schools in East Detroit Public Schools. Jensen told the Free Press on June 20 that his first day in the district would be Monday.

But the district filed a lawsuit against Jensen on Tuesday, and requested a temporary restraining order. Judge Joseph Toia signed that order today.

Administrators and school board members in the Eastpointe district, as well as many Macomb County officials, have been vocally opposed to the appointment, saying the district is capable of turning around the schools with the help of the Macomb Intermediate School District. They said the existing partnership between the two has produced improved results for students.

Tuesday's court filing requests that Jensen be prevented "from asserting or exercising any authority or control over any EDS school."

A hearing has been scheduled for 10 a.m. July 18.

Tuesday's filing brings the number of lawsuits the district has filed to.............

this is in the suburbs just across 8 mile, something Detroit couldn't do on behalf of its residents.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

It was all $$$. Had the water not been switched, there wouldn't be a lead problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:29 am 
Board Emeritus

They should get out. They should move. I saw Flint in the early 70's, there were a lot of vacant houses, and the town was descending into blight then.

It hasn't turned around in 45 years, instead of recovering it has gotten worse. It probably won't turn around next year. Folks might as well pack up and move away from there.

The town has 80 or 90 thousand living there now, and it has an economy to support less than half of them. :|

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:53 am 
Board Emeritus

They should get out. They should move. I saw Flint in the early 70's, there were a lot of vacant houses, and the town was descending into blight then.

It hasn't turned around in 45 years, instead of recovering it has gotten worse. It probably won't turn around next year. Folks might as well pack up and move away from there.

The town has 80 or 90 thousand living there now, and it has an economy to support less than half of them. :|
And those that are to damn poor to move?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:18 pm 
Policy Wonk

Sam Lefthand wrote:

the ones that can are

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:23 pm 
Policy Wonk

And those that are to damn poor to move?

yeah they get more disfunction and who wants to buy their house now?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

yeah they get more disfunction and who wants to buy their house now?

Poor Af Am are not only to be shot on site for no reason, but the very idea they want drinkable water, how dare they.

Hey fellow white Americans, how much longer do you think the POC will tolerate all this shit?

Knowing that if you reversed things this country would have been burned to the ground after the FIRST lynching 100 years ago.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next