Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Security Inequality
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:15 am 
Board Emeritus

He's the president of the California State Sheriffs’ Association. In that role he makes half witted remarks all the time. I hear about them because he's fairly close to where I live. What he says and does shows up in our local news papers.

I don't get down that far south very often but when I do I treat the area as if I were driving around in the State of Utah. That's what it's like, uptight Utah.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:22 pm 
Policy Wonk

this is interesting in that these teachers are concerned about those new teachers coming after them. been sorely missing from modern times and lack of it has been a huge source of the growing security inequality.

Kentucky governor signs controversial pension bill as teachers call for rally

Quote:
...........KEA opposes the pension reform, in which new hires will have to enter a hybrid cash balance plan, which differs from a traditional pension, and would limit new sick days that teachers can put toward their retirement. It also wants the state legislators to override Bevin's veto of a budget bill and a revenue bill, with Winkler saying if these two bills don't pass, "this is very bad news for public education."...........

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:28 am 
Policy Wonk

Rochester Hills homeowner shoots at 14-year-old knocking on door for directions after missing bus

Quote:
A Rochester Hills man on Thursday shot at a teenager who was knocking on his door to ask for directions.

Officials with the Oakland County Sheriff's Office said 14-year-old Brennan Walker missed the bus in the morning so he started walking to school. He got lost and stopped at a home on South Christian Hills Drive to ask for directions. Walker knocked at the front door.

"I knocked on the door, stepped back, knocked, stepped back and then a lady came downstairs yelling at me," he said. "She asked me, 'Why are you trying to break into my house?' and I told her, no, I was just looking for directions to Rochester High."

When a man came down the stairs with a shotgun, Walker started running.

"I turned back and saw him aiming at me," he said.

The safety was engaged, but the homeowner was eventually able to fire a shot as Walker ran away, authorities said.

"That's just completely unacceptable on every level. I don't know how you.............

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:31 pm 
Policy Wonk

Trooper tases teen on ATV. Police video reveals what happens next.

Quote:
As 15-year-old Damon Grimes lay dying in the middle of Rossini Drive last August, Michigan State Police Trooper Mark Bessner crouched over his body.

“He’s got a pulse, and he’s breathing. He’s unconscious,” Bessner said into his police radio, adding later, “He slowed down. We tased him, and he crashed out.”

Grimes had been driving about 35 mph on an ATV when Bessner — a passenger in a moving patrol car — fired his stun gun at the teen during a chase on Detroit’s east side.

Grimes slammed into the back of a parked truck and flew off his ATV. The impact of the crash ripped gashes into his forehead, both cheeks and upper lip and dislocated his skull. Doctors pronounced him dead on arrival at St. John Hospital.

Bessner, who resigned from his job amid a criminal investigation, has been charged with murder.

To better understand what happened the evening of Aug. 26, the Free Press used the Michigan Freedom of Information Act to request extensive records related to the crash. It received almost 11 hours of footage captured by cameras mounted in patrol cars, on nearby businesses and worn by Detroit Police officers, who also responded to the incident.

The Free Press also obtained almost 16 hours of audio recordings from police radios and phones as well as more than 600 pages of documents and more than 500 photos. Michigan State Police took six months to provide those records, which were heavily redacted. For example, State Police withheld all footage captured from the camera in Bessner's squad car, and also blurred the video of Grimes.

Still, the video and audio files that were turned over by MSP show elements of the chase and its aftermath from dozens of angles and perspectives with candid, real-time comments provided by police officers seeing the events unfold in front of them.

Seen and heard in the materials are:

Security camera video showing the final seconds of the chase

Emergency lights on top of the patrol car start flashing 24 seconds after the crash

Bessner acknowledging using the stun gun on Grimes as he rode the ATV

Unfiltered talk from officers including one who says "Don't run from the State Police, you'll get fucked up."
Communities across the nation are...................

video at link

Comments caught on police video get Detroit officer reassigned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:34 pm 
Policy Wonk

Riley: Man who shot at black kid seeking directions hurt all of us

Quote:
No one was injured in the incident.

That is how authorities described a grown man firing a shotgun at a 14-year-old who knocked on his door to ask for directions to school.

That is how authorities described the denouement of the incident last Thursday when 14-year-old Brennan Walker, who had missed his bus and tried to walk to Rochester High, got lost and approached a random door to ask for help.

Rather than aid, he got Jeff Ziegler, a 53-year-old retired firefighter, chasing him down the street and firing a 12-gauge shotgun at him — for daring to knock on his door, according to police reports.

Ziegler’s wife said she and her husband thought a black kid knocking on the door and asking for help was a black man trying to rob their house.

Yep, robbers usually stand unarmed at your door asking for help when they want to take your silverware.

Ziegler — if the police report is accurate and there’s no reason to doubt it — was no longer protecting his property when he chased a kid down the street and shot at him.

Had he hit Brennan, that child would have lain nowhere near his home.

But Ziegler missed, according to police reports and the fact Brennan made it home to his mother. So the Oakland County Sheriff’s Department claims no one was injured in the incident.

That is a lie.

Brennan was injured. Imagine what being chased by a racist with a gun does to the psyche of a young boy — and to all of his friends who now live with the thought of what happened to him and the terror of what could happen to them.

Rochester Hills was injured. Once again, all it takes is one knucklehead doing something stupid, according to police reports, to lead people with big brushes to paint the entire city as a racist enclave where people shoot black boys who approach their doors.

America was injured.

Because here, in our backyard, is the latest example of...........

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:44 pm 
Policy Wonk

THE FREE PRESS OBTAINED RECORDS SHOWING MARK BESSNER WAS INVOLVED IN 40 "USE OF FORCE" INCIDENTS IN LESS THAN FOUR YEARS.

Quote:
Records the Free Press obtained under the Michigan Freedom of Information Act show Bessner was involved in 40 "use of force" incidents in less than four years, including one just three days before Grimes’ Aug. 26 death.

Bessner also had been disciplined previously for misusing his Taser, a device that delivers an electrical shock to temporarily immobilize its target.

“It doesn’t sound like he should be a police officer. ... Those are totally inappropriate behaviors," said Geoff Alpert, a professor of criminology at the University of South Carolina who has researched police pursuits for more than 30 years.

Video, which the Free Press also received in its records request to State Police, appears to show the overhead emergency lights on Bessner’s vehicle turned on after Grimes slammed his ATV into a parked truck on Rossini near Gratiot.

“If you hit the driver (with the Taser), you’ve now disrupted all of his muscular responses and he can’t drive; he can’t steer. He’s going to crash," Alpert said. “I don’t know what other response you’d expect.”

Grimes suffered massive head trauma and died. Bessner, 44, now faces charges of second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter.

Dennis Kenney, a former police officer who has studied pursuits and is a professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, said he has never heard of an officer tasing someone from a moving vehicle...............

chasing people without the police lights or dashcam going puts them in the position if it ends in a crash they can pretend they werent there. was a case recently you get a report of a high speed crash in the middle of the night turned out it was a police chase.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:09 pm 
Policy Wonk

Flashpoint 4/22/18: MI Senate OKs work requirement for Medicaid
video at link

Kaffer: Listen to Jesus, not GOP, on Medicaid work requirements

Quote:
...........The Michigan Chamber of Commerce's Richard Studley, who does not particularly care about cloaking things, told the Gongwer news service that too many people have obtained insurance since the state's Medicaid expansion was passed, and that employers don't like that. (Employers, you might want to give Studley a call, because I have more faith in your compassion than he does.) Guidance from the administration of President Donald Trump gives states the option to impose such a requirement, for the first time in the program's history.

The bill's sponsor, Sen. Mike Shirkey, R-Clark Lake, says this isn't about money. A state Senate Fiscal Agency analysis estimates it would cost $20 million to $30 million to implement and administer, and that any savings would likely be "slight."

This is a nasty little piece of legislation, indulging in the most destructive stereotypes about poverty, the notion that folks who receive benefits are lazy jerks who'd rather exploit the system than find a job.

Nearly 50% of enrollees in the Healthy Michigan expansion do work, a 2017 study conducted by University of Michigan researchers found. Of the rest, 5% were students, 4.5% were homemakers, 11% said they were unable to work and 2.5% were retired. Just 27.6% were considered to be out of work, and three-quarters of those say they're living with a chronic physical condition like diabetes, asthma or cancer, or a mental health condition — in other words, taking away health-care coverage means they're less likely to find work.

"Medicaid recipients who are working would have to proceed through another bureaucratic hoop to maintain coverage, while they have health care needs they’re currently seeing us for," said Paul Propson, CEO of Covenant Community Care in Detroit, a primary health care provider that sees 20,000 patients with Medicaid benefits or no insurance coverage each year...........

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:40 pm 
Policy Wonk

Despite overall sustained GDP growth in US, some cities still hit hard by extreme poverty

Quote:
By several measures, the United States is in a period of historic economic growth and prosperity. Major stock market indices have hit record highs, unemployment is at a near two-decade low, and we are in the midst of what may prove to be the longest period of sustained GDP growth in U.S. history.

However, amid all the good news, the poverty rate is on the rise, and several U.S. cities are becoming increasingly geographically and socially segregated by income.

The poverty level in the continental United States is set at annual income of $25,100 for a family of four, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. The share of Americans living below that income threshold climbed from 12.7% to 14.2% between 2010 and 2016. As poverty has affected more Americans, it has also has become more geographically concentrated. The number of neighborhoods nationwide in which 40% or more of the population lives in poverty climbed by 21.7% over the same period.

This increased concentration of poverty is far more pronounced in certain metropolitan areas. The share of poor residents living in extremely poor neighborhoods — defined as those with a poverty rate of at least 40% — climbed by more than 3.5 percentage points in 20 metro areas in the last six years.

Such high-poverty neighborhoods are often characterized by high crime rates, low educational attainment rates, and high unemployment. Partially as a result, those living in these extremely poor neighborhoods are at a greatly reduced likelihood of success and upward economic mobility.

Using data from the U.S. Census Bureau, 24/7 Wall St. compared the percentage point change in concentrated poverty rates in U.S. metro areas between 2010 and 2016 to identify the cities where concentrated poverty is increasing most. The cities on this list span the United States geographically, from...........

more @ link