Metallurgist Admits To Faking Steel-Test U.S. Navy Submarines.

News and events of the day
marindem01

Metallurgist Admits To Faking Steel-Test U.S. Navy Submarines.

Post by marindem01 »

SEATTLE (AP) — A metallurgist in Washington state pleaded guilty to fraud Monday after she spent decades faking the results of strength tests on steel that was being used to make U.S. Navy submarines.

https://apnews.com/article/business-was ... b52a290f95.

Elaine Marie Thomas, 67, of Auburn, Washington, was the director of metallurgy at a foundry in Tacoma that supplied steel castings used by Navy contractors Electric Boat and Newport News Shipbuilding to make submarine hulls.

From 1985 through 2017, Thomas falsified the results of strength and toughness tests for at least 240 productions of steel — about half the steel the foundry produced for the Navy, according to her plea agreement, filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Tacoma. The tests were intended to show that the steel would not fail in a collision or in certain “wartime scenarios,” the Justice Department said.

There was no allegation that any submarine hulls failed, but authorities said the Navy had incurred increased costs and maintenance to ensure they remain seaworthy. The government did not disclose which subs were affected.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
sam lefthand

Re: Metallurgist Admits To Faking Steel-Test U.S. Navy Submarines.

Post by sam lefthand »

That's a story as old as spy's.

:|

I'm sure glad that there were no submarines or sailors lost because of it.

:)

Arthur Miller wrote a Broadway play in 1947 called All My Sons, it was about faked metallurgy tests for military aircraft parts used during WWII. It was based on a true story. A story like this.
All My Sons is based upon a true story, which Arthur Miller's then-mother-in-law pointed out in an Ohio newspaper.[4] The news story described how in 1941–43 the Wright Aeronautical Corporation based in Ohio had conspired with army inspection officers to approve defective aircraft engines destined for military use.[4][5] The story of defective engines had reached investigators working for Sen. Harry Truman's congressional investigative board after several Wright aircraft assembly workers informed on the company; they would later testify under oath before Congress.[4][5] In 1944, three Army Air Force officers, Lt. Col. Frank C. Greulich, Major Walter A. Ryan, and Major William Bruckmann were relieved of duty and later convicted of neglect of duty.[6][7][8]

Henrik Ibsen's influence on Miller is evidenced from the Ibsen play The Wild Duck, from where Miller took the idea of two partners in a business where one is forced to take moral and legal responsibility for the other. This is mirrored in All My Sons. He also borrowed the idea of a character's idealism being the source of a problem.[9]

The criticism of the American Dream, which lies at the heart of All My Sons, was one reason why Arthur Miller was called to appear before the House Un-American Activities Committee during the 1950s, when America was gripped by anti-communist sentiment. Miller sent a copy of the play to Elia Kazan who directed the original stage version of All My Sons. Kazan was a former member of the Communist Party who shared Miller's left-wing views. However, their relationship was destroyed when Kazan gave names of suspected Communists to the House Un-American Activities Committee during the Red Scare.[3][10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_My_Sons

Quite a synopsis.

There was a movie:
All My Sons is a 1948 film noir suspense post WWII drama directed by Irving Reis, based on Arthur Miller's 1946 play of the same name, and starring Edward G. Robinson and Burt Lancaster. The supporting cast features Louisa Horton, Mady Christians, Howard Duff, Arlene Francis, and Harry Morgan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_My_Sons_(film)

You can watch the old movie here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCb0euLJzU
gounion

Post by gounion »

There's a reason Eisenhower warned us about the Military Industrial Complex. And this guy didn't do any of this on his own.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Will Australia still buy U.S. built Nuclear Subs?

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-bu ... 41a74d9355
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.