RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:56 am 
Policy Wonk

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/family-of-man-killed-by-security-guard-believes-misunderstanding-led-to-death

Quote:
Family of man killed by security guard believes misunderstanding led to death

The children of a man who was shot and killed Tuesday by a security guard on Detroit's west side have a lot of questions about the security guard's account of what happened.

The children said they first heard about the story on Local 4, not knowing it was their father who was killed. They are heartbroken and feel like there's more to the story than what's being told.

Melvin Johnson, 53, was a father of seven. Family members said he lived in Highland Park, where he took care of his aging mother and did house calls fixing people's cars.

"He is the top mechanic in Highland Park, as far as low income people," Arthur Brown, Johnson's son-in-law, said. "If you are in the low income bracket, the first person you call is Melvin Johnson."

Johnson was shot and killed Tuesday evening near an apartment complex at 7 Mile Road and West McNichols.

Police said a security guard was patrolling a construction site when she pulled the trigger.

"They're able to police an area and they're going too far because they don't have police training," Amanda Johnson, Johnson's daughter, said.

Police said Johnson was allegedly stealing construction materials when the security guard chased after him. When he wouldn't stop, that's when she fired shots.

Johnson's family believes it's all a misunderstanding and suspect he might have been in the area to ..........

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:21 am 
Board Emeritus

Ok. The family disagrees. Was there a misunderstanding that lead to stolen property ending up in his car while he was on a restricted worskite without apparent clearance? What caused him to drive away after a security vehicle allegedly parked him in? Why was he dragging a woman?

I guess that is some kind of misunderstanding. It sounds like the kind of misunderstanding that ends up looking exactly like a burglary and attempted escape.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:46 pm 
Policy Wonk

Detroit security guard's fatal shooting of Detroit man ruled self-defense

Quote:
Dominique Davis charged with carrying concealed weapon

A Detroit security guard who shot and killed a 52-year-old Detroit man Tuesday afternoon will not be charged in his death.

Prosecutor Kym Worthy ruled Dominique Davis, 30, acted in lawful self-defense in the shooting death of Melvin Johnson, 53. Davis was charged with carrying a concealed weapon because she did not have a permit to lawfully carry a weapon.

Officials said Davis was working as a security guard in the 260 block of Merton in Detroit when she saw Johnson stealing building materials from a construction site and loading them into his truck.

Police said Davis blocked Johnson's truck with her car. After a heated conversation, police said Johnson agreed she could get the stolen items from his truck, but when Davis tried to get the items, Johnson reversed and drove toward Davis.

Davis fired her handgun one time, hitting Johnson in his right shoulder area, police said. She immediately reported the incident to police and waited for them at the scene.

Medics took Johnson to a local hospital, where he was ..........

keeps changing before they said she open carried and was in the vehicle now they say she was carrying concealead without a license and he just drove toward her

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:40 am 
Board Emeritus

Well it said she was open carrying.

I don't know MI laws.

Regardless, using an unlawfully concealed gun in self-defense is still defense. She should have gotten a permit. It's a pretty minor charge I regularly resolve for a fine of it's a first offense.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:53 pm 
Policy Wonk

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2016/11/11/police-driver-gun-said-ll-shoot-you-road-rage-incident/93635438/

Quote:
Police: Driver with gun said 'I'll shoot you' in road rage incident

A Pontiac man accused of holding up a gun and mouthing the words "I'll shoot you" to another driver on Telegraph Road turned himself into the Bloomfield Township Police Department on Monday.

Philip Abraira, 48, pleaded not guilty to assault charges during an arraignment hearing before 48th District Court Judge Kimberly Small. His bond was set at $10,000, or 10% cash/surety.

The arrest stems from an alleged road rage incident last August. Police say Abraira is accused of cutting off another motorist while traveling southbound on Telegraph, and then holding up a handgun after she honked her horn and pulled alongside his Trailblazer.

According to the police report, Abraira mouthed the words “I’ll shoot you” before speeding off.

The victim provided enough information for investigators to locate Abraira at his home in Pontiac. Police say Abraira admitted to cutting off another car that day, but denied pointing a gun at anyone.

Instead, Abraira told investigators that he only showed the female motorist his middle finger while he was talking on his cell phone. He also told authorities that he owns two handguns and has a valid license to carry a concealed weapon..............

thing is you can be on the good side of statistics several times in a row and then on the bad side but only once.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:48 pm 
Policy Wonk

‘Stupid’ liberal bumper stickers triggered Ozarks man, so he flashed a gun, police say

Quote:
A man in the Ozarks has been charged after he allegedly pointed his pistol at a woman because she had Democratic bumper stickers on her car.

Edward Burns of Ozark, Mo., was charged with felony unlawful use of a weapon in the late August incident. The woman involved, Laura Umphenour, crashed into a guardrail at highway speeds as a result of the threatening show.

Citing “ethical rules,” Umphenour declined to describe the incident to The Star. But she did say she’s had issues in the Ozarks in the past for expressing her Democratic leanings.

An incident report issued by the Ozark Police Department sheds light on what happened: Burns pulled up alongside Umphenour’s vehicle and flashed an “L” sign with his hand.

Umphenour then flipped him off.

Burns then removed a handgun from his waist area and pointed it at her, Umphenour told police.

“Laura said she was scared and jerked the steering wheel, which caused her to lose control of the vehicle,” the report states. She then struck Burns’ vehicle before crashing into a guardrail.

Burns first denied pointing a gun at the woman to police but later admitted he had done so.

“I made a bad choice,” he told police. He added he thought the woman’s bumper stickers were “stupid.”

The statement said, “Edward is a conservative and the decals were liberal in nature.”

A gun was later recovered from a briefcase in Burns’ vehicle. Springfield lawyer David Ransin, who is representing Umphenour, said the gun was a .380 pistol. The incident report indicated it was loaded with six rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber...........

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:35 pm 
Policy Wonk

public safety competing with statistics on violence

Suspect in fatal Florissant bar shooting released from custody

Quote:
.............The disagreement wasn't very heated, however, and Beary had even exchanged phone numbers with the gunman after the two talked about possible construction jobs earlier.

Finally, Beary and his friend got up to leave and, as Beary was walking by the suspect, Leavy said he talked to the shooter.

"He put his hand on his shoulder tapped and said, just no hard feelings, just joking around," Leavy said.

As Beary got to the exit, Leavy said the gunman twice called Beary a foul name. Beary then turned around and walked towards the suspect.

Leavy was not sure the exact sequence of what happened next, he knows Beary threw a punch and the suspect fired, but he doesn't exactly know who was responsible for the first act of violence.

"It was instantaneous," Leavy said. "It was like a car accident, it happened so fast."

McCulloch stated that self-defense and stand and your ground statutes are making the investigating more complex. He says that he doesn't anticipate that there is any concern to the public for this person to be out of jail.....................

Stand Your Ground law could prevent charges from being filed in Florissant shooting

Quote:
Friday afternoon, Prosecuting Attorney Bob McCulloch revealed, his office has delayed announcing whether or not he’ll prosecute the gunman because of the complexity of Missouri’s Stand Your Ground law.

We took our questions to a St. Louis University Law Professor, who’s done extensive research on Stand Your Ground laws.

Susan McGraugh said, Missouri’s version of the law is one of the broadest in the nation, and whether or not the gunman is charged, all depends on what investigators can prove happened inside that bar..........

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:19 am 
Policy Wonk

Barricaded gunman in Detroit kills self; 3 women dead, 3 cops injured

Quote:
A 14-hour standoff with a barricaded gunman ended Monday with three women dead, three police officers injured and the gunman dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The 49-year-old suspect's death was discovered via a video surveillance robot that Michigan State Police sent into a second-floor window of the home on the 19000 block of Lamont Street on Detroit's east side. ..........

Quote:
.......At one point, the gunman was heard saying he "wouldn't go down without a fight.".......

Quote:
.........The suspect had no criminal history and had no previous contact with police. He was a valid concealed pistol license holder and had at least seven guns registered to him.

Family and friends of the suspect have said he suffered from mental illness. Craig, however, said that information had not been confirmed..............

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:17 am 
Board Emeritus

I would say it has been confirmed, that suspect suffered from mental illness. :|

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:53 am 
Policy Wonk

NEWS Police: Man says car is stolen, tracks it down and shoots suspected thief

Quote:
Police said a man took justice into his own hands after someone stole his car. But he may have gone too far, when he shot the suspected thief.

The 25-year-old car owner said a 41-year-old man stole his car in the 5000 block of O’Fallon Lake Drive at an apartment complex in O'Fallon. The 25-year-old used a GPS tracking device to locate his car. He found it in the 800 block of S. Sixth Street more than 15 miles away in St. Charles.

When he confronted the 41-year-old man he said stole his car, the car owner shot him. The 25-year-old said he believed the accused car thief was armed and he acted out of self-defense. Soon after, the man with the gunshot wound stumbled around, knocking on doors to ask for help, while the car owner stayed to call police. The raucous startled residents in the area.

"It sounded like someone was trying to break in,” said Nicholas Chrismer, who lives on the street where the shooting happened.

St. Charles County police are investigating the “validity” of that claim. Investigators said they did not find a gun on the 41-year-old man. ...........

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:01 pm 
Policy Wonk

This is absurd. Do you have any idea what the people I deal with on a daily basis are often charged with? The neighborhoods I go interview people in? I don't carry, but lots of lawyers do. I certainly understand people who live in these neighborhoods.

In the 5 years I've lived where I do, I would estimate there is a shooting within 5 blocks of my home (and often a street or two over) every three months. Sometimes they are just random folks like me or my husband. Again, I don't carry. But you really can't make stupid generalizations about those people who make different decisions than I do being inherently violent.

So that Scout doesn't have to point it out, CCW permit holders are among the least likely to commit a violent criminal offense of any measurable demographic. If what you were saying was true, the evidence would be the EXACT opposite.

So how about we liberals watch our rhetoric? We know Ike can't handle himself on this issue. I don't think I'm like a two year old with a toy for instance, but we've learned that's just the best he is capable of (alternately, he's expressed various forms of the sentiment that he doesn't give a shit). But generally, if you like to complain about Righties ignoring facts, you should hold yourself to the same standard.

It is demonstrably false that CCW holders are the demographic that should be prevented from having guns. Over 90 percent of violent crime is committed by felons, which is why common sense gun regulation should be geared towards keeping guns out of the hands of felons. Not stereotyping law-abiding citizens as violent children indifferent to human suffering.

Because that's bullshit.

Do you believe for a moment that there aren't criminals getting CC permits? The gangbangers in Chicago are doing so. Not every criminal has a criminal record. They just haven't been caught, charged, and convicted of a crime yet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:35 pm 
Policy Wonk

St. Louis archbishop to Legislature: Keep guns out of our churches.

Quote:
Archbishop Robert J. Carlson has a message for Missouri lawmakers.

You can stand for guns in churches.

Or you can stand for religious liberty.

But you can’t stand for both.

The leader of the Roman Catholic Church in the St. Louis region sent the message to lawmakers last week in a letter that was also signed by the other three Catholic bishops in the state: the Rev. James V. Johnston Jr. of Kansas City-St. Joseph, the Rev. W. Shawn McKnight of Jefferson City and the Rev. Edward M. Rice of the Springfield-Cape Girardeau diocese.

The letter is more than a rebuke. It’s a call to action on common sense gun regulation.

“As we issue this statement, bills are currently being debated in the Missouri General Assembly that would further loosen gun regulations. One such bill, for example, would eliminate the need for Missourians who are carrying a concealed weapon to obtain permission from their pastor before bringing a concealed weapon to church,” the bishops wrote. “If this bill were to pass, churches wishing to remain gun free would have to post signage in their sacred spaces prohibiting guns. This is highly offensive to us and would violate our First Amendment rights to religious liberty. As the leaders of the Catholic Church in Missouri, we vigorously object to this change in Missouri law!”...................

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Do you believe for a moment that there aren't criminals getting CC permits? The gangbangers in Chicago are doing so. Not every criminal has a criminal record. They just haven't been caught, charged, and convicted of a crime yet.

People who have committed or may commit a crime? Sure. People who have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime other than one of domestic violence? Again, sure.

People who are prohibited from possessing firearms? No, I do not think so. I'm not aware of any. And the numbers still continue to show that >90% of all gun crimes are committed by convicted felons.

Unless you are calling for a constitutional repeal of the 2nd Amendment for people with no criminal history, we should focus on the individuals who have forfeited their right to possess a firearm, and who commit an overwhelming percentage of the violence.