RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:33 pm 
Political Junkie

$#@&^%!!! It's preliminary..... My only hope is that cavitation, milling of the surface, and patching over the years led to a weakening of the concrete that helped lead to the pipe failure. :)

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

i remember seeing clay tile pipe in one of the hundreds of of pictures out there, but never realized how much of it there was. It's looking like Sam maybe right. i hate it when that happens. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, I watched that one. I also saw some quotes from the report.

One thing that guy said got me interested. He mentioned the historical imagery on Google Earth, so I went and checked. Most of the pictures are pretty worthless for examination of the concrete, but a couple are sharp. Yup, there's the "herringbone pattern," plain as day. You can see the concrete starting to fail.

But there's more. One of the photos shows a patch right where the thing ultimately caved in. You can't miss it. I think I'd read somewhere else that indeed they had patched it once.

You bet they're releasing water. Satellite photos and water vapor images show a big ass rain storm headed that way.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:01 am 
Political Junkie

Yeah, I watched that one. I also saw some quotes from the report.

One thing that guy said got me interested. He mentioned the historical imagery on Google Earth, so I went and checked. Most of the pictures are pretty worthless for examination of the concrete, but a couple are sharp. Yup, there's the "herringbone pattern," plain as day. You can see the concrete starting to fail.

But there's more. One of the photos shows a patch right where the thing ultimately caved in. You can't miss it. I think I'd read somewhere else that indeed they had patched it once.

You bet they're releasing water. Satellite photos and water vapor images show a big ass rain storm headed that way.

i guess i had never realized how vast California's dam system really is. It's amazing when you think about it.

i'm starting to believe the easy part is building it. It's the maintenance of it afterwards that's the problem. It's starting to become obvious that not enough money has been invested in maintenance and upgrades over the years.

He's going to address Shasta dam next. i hope he keeps expanding it.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

It's interesting that I picked up on Juan Browne's You Tube casts as early as I did, now it seems he has become the local resident investigative reporter on the incident and spoken about on several websites.
Example... http://hackaday.com/2017/05/01/another- ... er-crisis/
Yes he does ask the right questions and finds the facts to report.

Image . Image

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's interesting that I picked up on Juan Browne's You Tube casts as early as I did, now it seems he has become the local resident investigative reporter on the incident and spoken about on several websites.
Example... http://hackaday.com/2017/05/01/another- ... er-crisis/
Yes he does ask the right questions and finds the facts to report.

Looks like we have bradman and Sam to thank for bringing Juan Browne's reporting to our attention in this thread.

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

I remember it being Bernie who introduced his videos here. I just liked them, and found I could use them to extrapolate off from them.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

I remember it being Bernie who introduced his videos here. I just liked them, and found I could use them to extrapolate off from them.

I was looking for the spot where Bernie would have first mentioned those videos in this thread - so that I could thank him - but instead found that you and bradman were all over it on page four of this thread. (Hence, I tried to be careful in saying that I was only referring to this thread.)

Perhaps I missed it in this thread or perhaps Bernie mentioned Juan's videos in another thread.

Either way (or any other way), I tend to believe Bernie at the outset, that he was the person who introduced us to Juan's reporting.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:00 am 
Board Emeritus

I went back and looked, Bradman posted the first Juan Brown video in the thread I could find. I even discussed it with him, but I didn't remember it. We were posting and discussing lots of videos at that point.

Further along Bernie introduced the first of his videos which I remembered and took a real interest in. Bernie says he had been watching them for a while before that one.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:56 am 
Board Emeritus

Further along Bernie introduced the first of his videos which I remembered and took a real interest in. Bernie says he had been watching them for a while before that one.

Yes, right you are: Bernie said he noticed Juan's reporting early on.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:46 am 
Political Junkie

Matters not who found Juan, it's that he was found.

i first ran into him while surfing Youtube. Must have watched half a dozen of the most screwed up conspiracy vids i'd ever seen. Anywhere from.... the wanted the gold beneath the chute... to aliens. Was about to give up when i stumbled across Juan. i liked him. When he shot down the 'no rebar' conspiracy theory, i liked him even more. He seems fair, honest, and seems to try and keep the politics out of it for the most part. No axe to grind ya know. i hope he keeps it up. It'd be interesting to find out just how good/bad the dams and levies are.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:53 am 
Political Junkie

The final report on the failure is coming closer, sometime this fall.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:12 am 
Political Junkie

Cavitation....not likely....dam.

https://damsafety.org/sites/default/fil ... -05-17.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

I read the report, it looks to me like I was right about what caused it.

As soon as the edge of one of those slabs lifted up there was something kind of like the first stage of cavitation in that a partial vacuum was formed over the top surface. They described it as:

"Once the upstream end of the slab section lifted into the flow, the pressure under the slab rapidly increased and produced the sudden failure of the slab."

But the creation of a partial vacuum wouldn't be the cause, it would be the in process of the failure. The second stage of cavitaton, the collapse of the vacuum and resultant rapid fluctuation hammer effect of repeated creation of vacuum followed by its collapse would not have had time to have eroded the slab surface.

If I had written the report I would have described it as:

Once the upstream end of the slab section lifted into the flow, the resultant sudden decreased in pressure over the top slab surface created a deferential pressure force acting with the preexisting under the slab pressure which produced a sudden lift and failure of the slab.

In other words once the leading edge of the slab lifted the slab became kind of like an airplane wing. A reduced pressure area above the slab was caused by an increased path length for the water to flow over the top surface and it lifted the slab right out of there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oroville Update Phase 1 DONE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's a heroic piece of work, is what that is. Nice to know that this state can still get 'er done when it has to.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:10 pm 
Policy Wonk

Say what you want about our state, but us Californians know how to pull it together when the backs are against the wall.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, too bad Puerto Rico gets phucqued in the ass by Trumpenstein and his minions

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:50 pm 
Political Junkie

Juan has gone semi-pro, eh. i think he's now pitching fer a minor league team on a subscription salary.

It's nothing short of amazing the plunge pool they filled with RCC. Amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:14 pm 
Political Junkie

Full report is finally out...

It's long...
https://damsafety.org/sites/default/fil ... -05-18.pdf
A wake up call they say. Failure across the board with plenty of blame for all involved.

excellent....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

I did notice that the guy at the top of the Water Resources Commission (or whatever it's called) was quietly given his walking papers about a week ago. I think mention was made of a culture of safety being needed.

--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

The preliminary report is the one which has the details, the final report contains the standard political posturing vanilla. Everyone who was involved since the dam was built is at fault, therefore no one is at fault, nothing will change.

I watched the video and it appeared to me Juan Brown realizes that. He wouldn't have his kids in the video if he'd had anything to say.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8