Ruling may mean less time for 2 who violated Floyd’s rights

News and events of the day
Libertas

Ruling may mean less time for 2 who violated Floyd’s rights

Post by Libertas »

https://apnews.com/article/death-of-geo ... dcb483444b

Of course.

A federal judge on Friday sided with two former Minneapolis police officers who were convicted of violating George Floyd’s civil rights, ruling that the guidelines for their sentences will be calculated in a way that could mean substantially less prison time for them.

U.S. District Judge Paul Magnuson handed J. Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao a victory when he ruled that the complex formulas for calculating their sentences will use the crime of involuntary manslaughter, rather than murder, as a starting point. Magnuson will sentence the men in back-to-back hearings Wednesday.

Kueng, Thao and their colleague, Thomas Lane, were convicted in February of violating Floyd’s rights by depriving him of medical care as the 46-year-old Black man was pinned under then-Officer Derek Chauvin’s knee for 9 ½ minutes while Floyd repeatedly said he couldn’t breathe.
appointed by Reagan
I sigh in your general direction.
gounion

Re: Ruling may mean less time for 2 who violated Floyd’s rights

Post by gounion »

Hey I'm just surprised they were convicted.
bradman

Post by bradman »

What should be done with the plebe's.

Been waiting for these rulings.

They were no doubt going to get time.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:02 pm What should be done with the plebe's.

Been waiting for these rulings.

They were no doubt going to get time.
They'll maybe serve 4 months.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

Some said Chauvin wouldn't serve time.

Then they said, maybe a few months.

Turns out the FTO will be behind bars for a long time.
=================
i'm guessing 2-3 years for the plebes that followed their commanders orders.

Hopefully it's a clue to the rest of the plebes.

Follow unethical orders and you too will be serving time.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:50 pm Some said Chauvin wouldn't serve time.

Then they said, maybe a few months.

Turns out the FTO will be behind bars for a long time.
How do you know this?
=================
i'm guessing 2-3 years for the plebes that followed their commanders orders.
Not good enough.
Hopefully it's a clue to the rest of the plebes.

Follow unethical orders and you too will be serving time.
Are you still pretending that there is justice for corrupt murderous cops?

Do you not recall the months of worldwide protests because of what these people did to George Floyd?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

Give me a solution.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:42 pm Give me a solution.
You're still defensive of these people, and those who shoot people protesting their murderous corruption. You could start with that.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

What should be done to rid ourselves of this "murderous corruption"?

Give me a solution.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:01 am What should be done to rid ourselves of this "murderous corruption"?

Give me a solution.
You're not interested in solutions because you're still defensive of this sector. Stop defending this sector, first. Then come talk to me about solutions.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Anybody who thinks this sector can be "reformed" or "trained" out of its impacted legacy of problems is kidding themselves on purpose.

Can't reform this.

Mississippi police chief fired after leaked audio captured racist rant, him bragging about killing 13 people - USA Today
A small Mississippi city has a new police chief after its last was secretly recorded bragging about shooting and killing people in the line of duty – including a Black man who he claimed to have shot more than 100 times – in a racist and homophobic rant.

Former Lexington Police Department Chief Sam Dobbins was fired Wednesday after the city's board of aldermen voted to oust him in a session that lasted more than an hour, WLBT reported.

The vote came after a former officer leaked a recording of a conversation he had with the chief in April. The officer, Robert Lee Hooker, gave the secretly recorded audio to JULIAN, a civil rights and international human rights organization, which released it to the media – riling up the small city of 1,600 about 60 miles north of Jackson. About 80% of the city, nearly 1,300 people, are Black, census data shows.
2-3 years here, a supposed long time there -- after months of WORLDWIDE protests -- is not good enough.

Well, maybe it's good enough for those who will likely never find themselves in the crosshairs of police leadership and "plebes" like this, dunno.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:38 am Anybody who thinks this sector can be "reformed" or "trained" out of its impacted legacy of problems is kidding themselves on purpose.

Can't reform this.

Mississippi police chief fired after leaked audio captured racist rant, him bragging about killing 13 people - USA Today

2-3 years here, a supposed long time there -- after months of WORLDWIDE protests -- is not good enough.

Well, maybe it's good enough for those who will likely never find themselves in the crosshairs of police leadership and "plebes" like this, dunno.
I

Numb. Numb to the violent attitude of cons and the police they hire. These stories barely make the news when they should be HEADLINES...

I say numb to point out how accustomed we all are to hearing this but nothing happens, changes.
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:01 am What should be done to rid ourselves of this "murderous corruption"?

Give me a solution.
A strong BEGINNING would be to do away with Qualified Immunity for cops and Police Unions.

Both keep police from being held accountable for their actions.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:08 pm A strong BEGINNING would be to do away with Qualified Immunity for cops and Police Unions.

Both keep police from being held accountable for their actions.
bradman is asking for a solution to a multifaceted set of issues that date back literally to the early 1800s. This kind of thinking ensures that nothing will change.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:30 pm bradman is asking for a solution to a multifaceted set of issues that date back literally to the early 1800s. This kind of thinking ensures that nothing will change.
Fixing racism with racists involved in the decision making is as difficult as holding a trial for trump anywhere but maybe DC, because a trumper will be on the jury almost certainly.

Cant fix police corruption and racism if the folks committing those crimes are in the force. Thus the FIRING of all them over time as I mentioned.

Someone on DU says it has been done.

Camden NJ did it to great success !!

Awhile back Camden NJ fired the entire Police Department and then rehired any who passed a screening. It was a dramatic success in both reducing crime by reducing pressure on the low level street crimes so it became better for someone to peddle a little weed without a gun. I think it also recuced the corruption where the cops support criminals and dealers for awhile then bust or murder them when it suits them, that all stopped and now their city is much safer. Newark did something similar but I'm not sure if they actually fired their force or if they just instituted new policies, which dramatically reduced shootings within their city.
bradman

Post by bradman »

WaPo.......

Camden police reboot is being misused in the debate over police reform
Yes, the New Jersey city abolished and replaced its police department. But the results weren’t good until activists stepped in.

Cities across the nation are grappling with demands to defund and rethink policing, and some are taking action. Nine members of the Minneapolis city council, for example, have pledged to disband the city’s police department.

This announcement turned a spotlight on Camden, N.J., which disbanded its police force in 2012 and has been held up as a possible approach to solving policing problems. But the current discussion of Camden, from its data to its history, is oversimplified and dangerously misleading.

In reality, Camden’s police restructuring was deeply undemocratic and involved a doubling-down on “broken windows” policing strategies that increased excessive-force complaints. It was only tireless efforts from local activists and watchdogs that eventually pressured the new police force to adopt a new force policy requiring officers to avoid escalation, training them to do so and requiring them to intercede if another officer was incorrectly using force. It is this local activism — not disbanding the police force — that is the key to understanding the gains made in Camden.
+
With the city under duress, over the objection of Camden community members, local officials partnered with Christie to enact a plan to disband the city’s police force and replace it with a regional county force. The goal was to dissolve the local police union, which would allow for a cheaper force that would enable more policing, not less.
+
Given this history, why is Camden being held up as evidence that disbanding police departments works? Because observers are repeating the mistake made with broken windows policing and misinterpreting statistics.

Yes, Camden experienced a 23 percent drop in violent crime and a 48 percent drop in nonviolent crime from 2012 to 2018. But crediting the crime reduction to the new police force is highly questionable.
Community involvement. It's how our city changed it's city council from a bunch of conservative yahoos that were all for corporate welfare to a progressive council that now makes the companies pay their part. We've done the same thing to our police department. It was community involvement that changed it form an all white, good ol' boy, force to one that better reflects our community. We just hired our first female officer.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Now, of course, that's a stupid reason to break up the police union - to be able to hire cops on the cheap. History proves that if you don't pay cops a living wage, they are very easy to corrupt with cash from bad guys. See prohibition.

With Qualified Immunity, cops aren't held accountable. Same with police unions that keep cops from being held responsible for their actions. Those two things are the first things that have to end for a change to be made.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:25 pm WaPo.......

Yes, the New Jersey city abolished and replaced its police department. But the results weren’t good until activists stepped in.

+

+

Community involvement. It's how our city changed it's city council from a bunch of conservative yahoos that were all for corporate welfare to a progressive council that now makes the companies pay their part. We've done the same thing to our police department. It was community involvement that changed it form an all white, good ol' boy, force to one that better reflects our community. We just hired our first female officer.
Got a link for this?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

carmenjonze wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:51 pm Got a link for this?
Oops. My bad. i left a space for it but forgot to put it in. Since i'm not a member of WaPo i only get so many articles. If you are interested...

Put that into the search engine and you will come up with the link. (it's WaPo)

But then, i'm sure i'm not telling you anything you don't already know.
bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:30 pm Now, of course, that's a stupid reason to break up the police union - to be able to hire cops on the cheap. History proves that if you don't pay cops a living wage, they are very easy to corrupt with cash from bad guys. See prohibition.

With Qualified Immunity, cops aren't held accountable. Same with police unions that keep cops from being held responsible for their actions. Those two things are the first things that have to end for a change to be made.

Regardless, breaking the police unions is a must. No way will Qualified Immunity disappear until then.

With that comment, why do i feel like a traitor.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:15 pm Oops. My bad. i left a space for it but forgot to put it in. Since i'm not a member of WaPo i only get so many articles. If you are interested...

Put that into the search engine and you will come up with the link. (it's WaPo)

But then, i'm sure i'm not telling you anything you don't already know.
Ok thank you. This is the link.

Camden police reboot is being misused in the debate over police reform - WP

This guy is from a different perspective from mine, but JS, attests to what I've been saying, that so-called reform is a joke.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:27 pm Regardless, breaking the police unions is a must. No way will Qualified Immunity disappear until then.

With that comment, why do i feel like a traitor.
I understand. But I think you'll agree that when I come out and say that police unions need to be dissolved, they've turned against everything unions stand for, and are nothing but self-serving, and work against the interests of the population as a whole. Unions are meant to a positive force in our culture, and police unions are not.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Like any other profession (public or private sector), police should be paid a fair wage (as a shield against corruption, too, but not the only reason), get appropriate benefits, and have safe and proper working conditions. Police unions fight for that, and that's good.

The thing is, somewhere along the way police unions morphed into shielding them from public accountability, I view that as a distortion of their real mission. Yes, it's supposedly a dangerous job. But not as dangerous as most think, police die on the job at lower rates than most realize. A lot of busting down doors with battering rams on meth heads, few get into deadly firefights. But they HAVE to be accountable for misuse of force. If the unions are going to be in the way of that ...

It just seems weird. Over on Faux News, teachers' unions seem to often be presented as a protection racket for Satanic pedophile groomers preparing to drain kids of their adrenochrome. They don't like labor unions very much, but weirdly, only and ever do the police unions seem to get their love.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
bradman

Post by bradman »

Camden rebuilt the police department and the union.

https://www.marketplace.org/2020/06/17/ ... -policing/
Lessons from Camden, the city that disbanded (and rebuilt) a police force
Cappelli: Well, when our new officers hit the street after training, one of the first things they do is knock on doors and introduce themselves to residents, hand out a business card. We have pop-up block parties. We have free ice cream for kids. So it’s all about trying to create as much contact as possible between police officers and residents in a positive fashion ⁠— not in times of emergency.

Brancaccio: Is the current police force now unionized? Because you tore up the old contract when you disbanded the old police force.

Cappelli: Yes, it is unionized. It’s actually the same union. The big difference is its new leadership. The new leadership is much more professional than the prior leadership of the union. They have fully engaged with regard to their belief in the community-policing model. They work with us. They negotiate hard on behalf of their members, don’t get me wrong, but they understand the fiscal circumstances of the city and the absolute necessity to make residents feel safer.
From what i read so far, they got rid of warrior training and and now practice more along the lines of de-escalation and community involvement. Seems the one thing that helped make the de-escalation grow, and work, is because every little use of force incidents are fully reviewed and not shoved under the rug.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:08 am Like any other profession (public or private sector), police should be paid a fair wage (as a shield against corruption, too, but not the only reason), get appropriate benefits, and have safe and proper working conditions. Police unions fight for that, and that's good.

The thing is, somewhere along the way police unions morphed into shielding them from public accountability, I view that as a distortion of their real mission. Yes, it's supposedly a dangerous job. But not as dangerous as most think, police die on the job at lower rates than most realize. A lot of busting down doors with battering rams on meth heads, few get into deadly firefights. But they HAVE to be accountable for misuse of force. If the unions are going to be in the way of that ...

It just seems weird. Over on Faux News, teachers' unions seem to often be presented as a protection racket for Satanic pedophile groomers preparing to drain kids of their adrenochrome. They don't like labor unions very much, but weirdly, only and ever do the police unions seem to get their love.
Imagine a union for housekeepers or secretaries or retail store clerks protecting their members the way the police do. Righty would NOT stand for it.

As it is they HATE government workers as most make a living wage, cons like those here HATE that.